PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Recommendation Thread (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=9576)

Pu the Owl Aug 15th, 2008 07:47 AM

The Recommendation Thread

Since here and there sometimes I read people asking for recommendations about this and that, I suppose we could have a thread for it.

Apart from games, that have their own spaces, here you can recommend everything else you feel others should try: movies, music, places, recipes, books, activities. Anything you tried yourself, obviously: you should never recommend anything you cannot say to have tried.

In my first post in this thread I'd like to recommend people in the legal drinking age to try the Shady Lady cocktail. Here's the recipe:

1 oz Tequila
1 oz Melon Liqueur - Midori is the best
Grapefruit Juice

Pour tequila and melon liqueur into a glass with ice. Fill it with grapefruit juice. Garnish with lemon wedge and/or cherry.

I'll think about something more on the cultural side later. I'm thirsty now.

Faile Aug 15th, 2008 11:49 AM

I'm definitely trying that if I can find some Melon Liqueur! Worth it just so you can hum along with Pavement whilst you drink!

merylsilverburg Aug 15th, 2008 11:49 PM

Wow, I was going to create a thread like this a while back but I was afraid it would be stupid so I decided not to. :shame:

I have some recommendations but I have to think of them. I'll get back to this thread later. :cool:

merylsilverburg Aug 16th, 2008 01:57 AM

Sorry for double posting but I have a film recommendation that I'm sure many people have seen already so I feel a bit lame but:

"The Great Escape" is a, well, great film! Saw it recently and went out to buy it the day after. For a war film it's relatively peaceful (much like "Joyeux Noel")...good for those days where I'm working on something but want something in the background. It's got many elements: humor, action, drama...just go see it if you haven't. :)

DSgamer Aug 18th, 2008 04:10 AM

here are a few things that I'm reading/watching/playing lately so I'm going to recommend them because I'm enjoying them

television:
Flight of the Conchord - HBO
Curb Your Enthusiasm - HBO

games:
Kane & Lynch - xbox360/PS3
The World Ends With You - NDS
DJ Portable Max 2 - PSP
Call of Duty 4 - Xbox360/PS3
Final Fantasy IV/II - NDS/SNES
Okami - Wii/PS2

books/comics:
Batman: Knightfall (all 3 books)
Watchmen
The Dark Knight Returns

Music:
Albert Hammond Jr - Yours to Keep
Arctic Monkeys - who the f*ck's arctic monkeys?/Leave before the lights come on
Lightspeed Champion - Falling Off The Lavender Bridge
Built to Spill - You In Reverse
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights/Antics/Our Love To Admire
The Strokes - Is This It/Room On Fire

Artists:
Banksy
Yumiko Kayukawa

Pu the Owl Aug 18th, 2008 09:04 PM

Neon Bible is a great album, isn't it? I'm listening to it a lot lately.

Beretta55 Aug 19th, 2008 04:57 AM

Music:

Seek out the work of Oliver Deriviere and Jesper Kyd. I've learned of their compositions via videogames (Obscure series and the new Alone in the Dark for Oliver, Hitman series and Assassin's Creed for Jesper) but also do music for movies as well as their own original albums I think. I highly suggest checking them out.

https://www.olivierderiviere.com/od/flash/
https://www.jesperkyd.com/

Movies:
Se7en
The Thing (John Carpenter remake)
Grave of the Fireflies

Activities:
Target shooting. Yes I'm from Oklahoma which is located in the south. It might target (har har) me as a redneck for liking and shooting guns but it makes a great stress relief. Plus I feel in general guns are absolutely beautiful to look at, especially much older guns.

Books:
World War Z

Redpyramidhead Aug 19th, 2008 08:26 PM

I would like to recommend the movie Frailty with Bill Paxton and Mathew McConaughey. It's basically a psychological thriller/realistic horror film about a serial killer called the "God's Hand" killer in a small Texas town. I don't want to explain much... you kind of just have to watch it. The acting, storytelling, and cinematography is superb. Also, a plus for somebody like me who is an audio engineer, the audio for this film is also just plain amazing... in fact it steals the show because of the Hitchcock like sequences. And you've never felt like you were there this much before. ENJOY!

Pu the Owl Aug 21st, 2008 05:18 PM

Pepe le Pew cartoons: they are just great. The poor cat doesn't know it, but they are. I wish they made more of them :(

Faile Aug 21st, 2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pu the Owl (Post 131226)
Neon Bible is a great album, isn't it? I'm listening to it a lot lately.

Ain't no chance of survival. Great album.

I recommend the really rather fantastic film 'Brick'. High school Noir, and a fantastic soundtrack. Album of choice is Etiquette by Casiotone for the Painfully Alone. Awesome album.

Pu the Owl Aug 23rd, 2008 09:47 PM

Silver Needle tea. It's a quality of white tea, and it tastes very good. It's very delicate and smooth. Try it and you'll know what I mean.

merylsilverburg Aug 24th, 2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pu the Owl (Post 131244)
Silver Needle tea. It's a quality of white tea, and it tastes very good. It's very delicate and smooth. Try it and you'll know what I mean.

To add on to this recommendation, I'd suggest Teaposy flower teas. They're dried flowers that has Silver Needle tea that "bloom" when placed in boiling water. Best to use a clear teapot to see the effect - it's gorgeous! So far I've only tried "Let It Snow" and it's a very nice Jasmine flavor.

Pu the Owl Aug 24th, 2008 07:18 AM

That site looks interesting, but the section to order from Europe is all in German - Swiss site, I think. Help... Hylas?

Berserker Aug 27th, 2008 12:37 AM

I'm currently indulging (once again) in my fetish for tv-series, so I would like to recommend two series for you all:

Twin peaks (classic...what can I say more!)
House M.D. (Normally not my cup of tea, but I'm loving the acting and humour in this serie!)

PS Like Pu said for those of you on the legal side of the drinking age, Tsantali Ouzo! I'm loving this stuff accompanied by a small cognac dipped cigarello...

Hylas Aug 27th, 2008 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pu the Owl (Post 131249)
That site looks interesting, but the section to order from Europe is all in German - Swiss site, I think. Help... Hylas?

Let's talk about this via PM, so I can translate what you need? Would be too long here :right:

Berserker Sep 3rd, 2008 12:21 AM

Dolce and Gabbana tailored shirts...:blush: I'm loving them!

merylsilverburg Sep 4th, 2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pu the Owl (Post 131249)

Well, that's rather stupid. You'd think for the European version they'd have a language selector or something. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, I didn't check it before posting it. :shame: I hope Hylas was able to you help you out Pu. :right: Also hope you enjoy the teas if you decide to purchase them. :)

Meiko Sep 4th, 2008 04:51 PM

Anything Radiohead. I'm into all their music now. A friend recommended some older album and I had to get all the rest :blush:

Berserker Sep 8th, 2008 12:10 AM

The australian comedian Ronnie Johns, especially the sketches where he imitates the famous australian ex-criminal/author/tv-personality Chopper Read. You can see them on youtube.com. I'm currently on a diet of 1 sketch every morning to start my day with a smile!

Faile Sep 10th, 2008 06:36 PM

Definitely Twin Peaks! I love Twin Peaks!

A record: Six by Mansun. An insane record ten years ago, still crazy now. Defies many things, especially classification. Nailed shut the britpop door!