PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Darkness (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=6821)

Berserker Oct 9th, 2003 05:31 AM

The Darkness

Has anyone heard this new band? They got a little hitsingle in Holland called "I believe in a thing called love" and it's freakin' hilarious it's straight from that vrock channel from VC. Don't know much about the band but it is so much over the top that it can't be real serious they make this 80's style glamrock that I thought was dead. I think they're from England but I'm not sure....does anyone know anything more?

Edit: check out there website https://www.thedarknessrock.com

Hylas Oct 9th, 2003 02:18 PM

What genre is it? I'm a bit ignorant... never heard of it... :heh:

Spank-A-Thon Oct 9th, 2003 03:51 PM

The Darkness are a retro-rock band from England. Besides their current hit, 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love', they also had success with 'Growing On Me'.

They are positively 'old-school' rock and by that I mean AC\DC, ZZ Top etc. They are the subject of some quite heavy hype in the UK at present.

Now, whilst they are a breath of fresh air in todays 'nu-metal' obssessed rock scene, they are not quite the revolution the media would have you think.

Yes, they're fun and very tongue in cheek - but they ain't doing anything that Queen, AC\DC and other bands of that ilk/era weren't doing 20+ years ago.

That being said they are quite catchy and the album 'Permission To Land' is worth a listen. It's cheesy but fun music with no pretensions.

But of course, this is all just my humble opinion.

- S

Berserker Oct 10th, 2003 01:08 AM

Thanx Spank! Over here they're just hitting the airwaves with a "I believe in a thing called love" , they're so much tongue in cheek that at first I tought that these guys were joking....but they're for real!!! That's even more fun, anyways as soon as they hit amsterdam I'm gonna have a look and see what they're like on stage( should be fun to watch).

neomarik Oct 12th, 2003 12:46 AM

i just heard about them today on mtv. i havent actually heard the whole song yet.

neomarik Oct 15th, 2003 10:43 PM

no offence but i finnally heard it, and no thanks. they remind me of a cross between george michel, micheal jackson, and the spice girls.

Spank-A-Thon Oct 16th, 2003 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by neomarik

no offence but i finnally heard it, and no thanks. they remind me of a cross between george michel, micheal jackson, and the spice girls.
:shock:

Uhhhh, that has to be the strangest comparison possible! Out of curisosity - which song was it you heard?

- S

fantasytiger Oct 17th, 2003 08:10 AM

I was at neomariks when we seen the video I have no idea butthat video was so werid after the first 3 minutes i wanted to bash my head in with a blunt object or yank my eyes from there sockits

neomarik Oct 17th, 2003 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

:shock:

Uhhhh, that has to be the strangest comparison possible! Out of curisosity - which song was it you heard?

- S
i believe in a thing called love.

Piggle_humsy Oct 17th, 2003 01:10 PM

The Darkness are Cool! I know they're not original but who cares, they're fun and have got some catchy lyrics.

And for some strange reason... I'm not sure if it's the outfits or the crazyness but I am weirdly attracted to the lead singer! :roll:

I cant help it! :bang:

Also he's very talented.. y'know he could play all of queens songs on quitar by the age of 12!

A few reviews.....

"...absolute fucking genius. No, scrub that. Beyond genius and out the other side"
- Dave Everley, Kerrang!

"The most overblown, vainglorious, vital band to ever have placed foot upon monitor...true stars"
- Matt Everitt, The Fly

"What have we got that other bands haven't got? Balls. No scrotum. Just balls"
- The Darkness

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

neomarik Oct 18th, 2003 11:14 PM

i dont know, maybe its because all i listen to is bands like dashboard confessional, finger eleven, linkin park, and stuff like that. or maybe it was just what they were wearing in the video.:roll:

Berserker Oct 20th, 2003 03:56 AM

It's like a trip back in time kids! This is what a majority of rock sounded like in the eighties.
When it was very masculine for a man to wear spandex and have peggy Bundy hair and bands like motley crue, van Halen, poison, twisted sister and whitesnake ruled the stadium rock scene.
It's never been my cup of tea but I think a band like the darkness is all in good fun and I like it when people don't take themselves too serious.

CrazY_DoG Oct 26th, 2003 04:17 AM

Yeah I've heard em!! The music-video is a bit ugly but it's allright. I dont hear too much of them, but here in Denmark they are quite known!! The song: "I believe in a thing called love" is the most popular of their songs, in Denmark... for now... :)

tempted Oct 26th, 2003 09:24 AM

Well i haven't heard of them ,until you asked so went searching on the web i didn't like the songs and yesterday i saw the video of I believe in a thing called love and i found why i didn't like the songs ,i believe that the guy sufers from something ...i got sick just with 30 secs of the video...

CrazY_DoG Oct 26th, 2003 03:09 PM

I wanna agree with eli... But it's cause they wanna be speciel... And they sure are!!

Nelo Angelo Oct 26th, 2003 04:22 PM

LOL is all I have to say about the band.

But the music video made me lose a few points of sanity though.

So I'll just stick to Daft Punk, DJ Sandstorm, and Kosheen. o_o