PsFantasy.com Forums

PsFantasy.com Forums (https://forums.psfantasy.com/index.php)
-   Other Consoles (https://forums.psfantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Nintendo's new portable system (https://forums.psfantasy.com/showthread.php?t=7173)

Vic Viper Jan 21st, 2004 02:52 AM

Nintendo's new portable system

Quote:

Nintendo to make dual-screen portable

Code named "Nintendo DS," the Japanese giant's new game deck will be formally unveiled at E3.

Ending weeks of speculation, Nintendo announced that it is launching a new portable gaming system. However, the device in question is not the rumored "Game Boy Enhanced"--a portable game deck that could play both GameCube and Game Boy Advance titles. Instead, the Japanese giant unveiled the "Nintendo DS," a double-screened game deck that it will formally unveil at this year's E3 in Los Angeles. No pictures of the system were released.

According to Nintendo, the DS will feature two separate 3-inch TFT LCD display panels, two individual processors, and a memory of up to 1 gigabit. The DS will give players a general view of the game in one screen while letting them zoom in on part of the action on another. For example, a football game on the title would feature an overview of the field on one screen while letting gamers zoom in on a specific player on another. "We have developed Nintendo DS based upon a completely different concept from existing game devices in order to provide players with a unique entertainment experience," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata.

Nintendo's announcement made no mention of whether the Nintendo DS would support GBA or GameCube games or would require a third software format. However, Nintendo did say the DS would be "marketed separately from the company's existing Nintendo Game Boy Advance portable system and Nintendo GameCube home console," indicating the latter to be more likely.

The Nintendo DS is scheduled to go on sale in late 2004. GameSpot will have more details on the system as they become available.
link

Daedaelus Jan 21st, 2004 11:29 AM

Interesting.

trunks69420 Jan 21st, 2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Iguana

Interesting.
Thats about all i could say too... Hmm... Interesting... I have all the NES stuff thats ever come out... allthough i got rid of my virtual boy.. but other than that i got it all... I will have to see this second screen in actoin to decide if i want it or not... but nonetheless it will be interesting to see what nintendo does with its new deck...

kupoartist Jan 21st, 2004 02:31 PM

oh dear. Nintendo should know that they can't afford any slip-ups, so what are they doing releasing this gimick? Having two screens is NOT going to revolutionise gameplay. How many people run a dual monitor PC? no-one, and thats been supported for ages. There are only so many titles you're going to be able to make that utilise it in a decent way

They may not be taking into consideration the extra battery drain either... this unit is likely to end up expensive on so many fronts: to develop for it could be costly. The unit is is going to be expensive for consumers to buy, and its going to be expensive to maintain.

This could well be the venture that kills Nintendo. Whereas a commerically unsuccessful product like the virtual boy was fine in the mid-90s when Nintendo were still on top, they're 3rd place in the console market and up for serious competition in the handhelds. Why waste R+D on a silly idea like this, when they should be focusing on making the next Gameboy the best it can possibly be?

Vicious_2003 Jan 21st, 2004 09:33 PM

I agree..this is super risky. The whole think doesent seem that interesting on paper. And why the hell are they releasing another friggin portable system !?. There has allready been what 5 versions of the Game Boy . I hope for Nintendos sake this thing turns out better than I expect it to. Who knows, maybe the article didnt do it justice. And on top of that, cost and developer support will play crucial roles in how this thing turn out

Heres ign's conceptual illustration of the Nintedo Double Screen :laugh:

https://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/...sannounced.jpg

Vic Viper Jan 22nd, 2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vicious_2003

Heres ign's conceptual illustration of the Nintedo Double Screen :laugh:

https://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/...sannounced.jpg

LMAO !!:laugh:

DSgamer Jan 22nd, 2004 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Vic Viper

LMAO !!:laugh:
AHAHAHAHAAHHAHHAH ROTFLMFAO!!! AHAHAHAHAHHAH
omg that was sooo funnay

Daedaelus Jan 23rd, 2004 11:29 AM

ROFL at the concept art!

Seriosuly though, I just don't understand the concept of this system. How will the dual screens work? How will two screens be able to provide more fun than one screen by itself? If you have to take your eyes off of a game, you're not going to be able to watch the other screen...

What the f*ck are you doing Nintendo?!

Vicious_2003 Jan 24th, 2004 07:32 PM

I just saw an article on 1up.com that has me a bit more interested in this Nintendo DS. Here it is

https://www.gmrmagazine.com/article2/...1457657,00.asp

If thats the case it has the potential to be ground breaking . I dont know how that technology works or how refined it is at this point, but you have to admit that that could be pretty kick ass. Reminds me of something outta star wars or something. But I guess only time will tell