PDA

View Full Version : With all the upsetting things...

Meiko
Nov 8th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hey guys, after all the crazy things happening lately in the world I'm not sure I want to read the papers anymore... There are just too many upsetting things going on everywhere!

Do you still read and believe them? Do you still trust your politicians and have faith in the law? Do you feel secure? I'm starting to wonder more and more everyday... :(

Strange there is another thread about fears. It's a coincidence or maybe more people than they think are feeling the same way.

Pu the Owl
Nov 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM
There are many coincidences, it seems.

Just the other day I was reading a book, Miguel Street by Nobel prize winner V.S. Naipaul. There's a chapter in it about an old barber called Mr Bolo. This Mr Bolo was once an avid newspapers reader: he used to buy at least three different newspapers and sometimes more than a copy of each one :laugh: Well, for many reasons over the years Mr Bolo grows so tired and disappointed with newspapers and their editors that his motto becomes "You mustn't believe anything you read in the papers"; he ends exaggerating the wise teachings contained in his own motto to the point he doesn't even trust the papers when they announce WWII is over, and it is over. At the end of the chapter, when he's even retired from barbering because he's become a very disillusioned and bitter man, he doesn't believe he's the winner of a local sweeptstake he's been partecipating for years without success. All because of the fact the number of his winning ticket is being published in the papers.

What I wanted to say with this is: don't trust everything the media tell you, use your head. But don't become completely blind to everything either. Keep a good balance between the two.

Faile
Nov 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM
I like to read the papers, but I also like to create my own opinions. And my own worlds.
This world itself may be dark, but as it gets darker, I just long to create my own beautiful things in my own world. Entropy of course will eventually abound, but until then I'm going down swinging...

Beretta55
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:13 AM
I haven't had much faith in the government for years, regardless if they are democratic or republican they hardly do anything I agree with. I don't read the newspaper, if I ever want to get any access to news, I use the internet but again I rarely do.

Mostly because, I don't care. I'm not exactly bitter but when I've heard the hundredth thing repeated about the same topics by either side with no progress made, it feels more akin to kindergartners having a food fight then actual politics and anything getting done. I've had my own issues to deal with family wise for the last three years, so reading the newspaper and reading another slanderous thing said about this or that, or how more soldiers in Iraq were killed is something I really don't want to read when dealing with nothing but crap for an entire day. Plus I don't believe in them, more newspaper nowadays is slanted by political bias then reporting the ACTUAL news. I don't care if you like or hate bush, hate republicans, hate democrats, hate independents, whatever. Just give me the news without shoving your damn opinion on everything. If I wanted that, I'd fricking ask you. :mad:

Eh, maybe I am bitter. I prefer to deal with my own affairs, I keep up enough to know what’s going on the world but I keep to myself and avoid most news. Because most of the time, what I'm subject to on the news just ends up making my blood boil and putting me in a worse mood then I already was.

Meiko
Dec 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM
It's not that I'm not balanced or I believe everything I read. Sometimes I just feel too much is too much! :(