PDA

View Full Version : Is Blood Omen 2 showing the weakness of PS2?

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:04 PM
I rented Blood Omen 2 tonight, and while it is a good game with nice graphics, I was surprised at the amount of frame skipping the game has. Are we reaching the end of what the PS2 can handle?

Mercury Shadow
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:18 PM
I was reading a review of Blood Omen on IGN today and it was saying something about the framerate and how it sucked... I don't think this is the end of what the PS2 can handle because if you look at games like MGS2 that don't have problems like this, it shows that it isn't just the PS2... I may be wrong though. Once developers find out how to use all of the PS2's power... we're in business :D

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:23 PM
I hope your right. Why do developers release game like that? There's no excuse for it.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 23rd, 2002, 09:35 PM
I'm baffled by the same thing... Maybe the creators were either sloppy, had a tight schedule and couldn't do everything they wanted to, or if it wasn't a lot of money to make they just busted the game out as quick as possible to make money.

Have you seen the new ad (I saw it in PSM, last page) for Blood Omen 2 where Kain is pulling out a guy's heart? It's brutal! there needs to be more gory ads like this, they atract a lot of attention.

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Well, since I live in a s***** small town, I haven't been able to try it out yet, but I am surprised about what you said, Sleazy P. I thought it might've been good, but I guess not, huh? That's kinda surprising about the X-Box version and a bit frustrating too. Well, I don't understand why the PS2 version has to be this way, but I don't think this will be the fall of the PS2. Like goodman said, we still haven't seen what the PS2 can do.

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 24th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Well it's still a fun game and I suggest you all rent it. The skipping is not so often as to ruin the game. But I for one would not pay $70+ dollars for it.

psyke
Mar 24th, 2002, 05:23 AM
$70+ ?

Ouch...thats harsh

its gonna be 50 here

its not out yet though...a few days left

Im gonna buy it.

You can't really rent games here, well, maby Battle Arena Toshinden 1 somewhere, but thats it

Mercury Shadow
Mar 24th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Focusing more on the XBOX version and making a mediocore PS2 version makes Crystal Dynamics look real bad... especially because 28 million people have a PS2, and i'm not sure how many XBOXs sold... maybe 1.5-2 million at most, so theres 26 million people that didn't get offered a 100% framerate perfect game.

BowevelJoe
Mar 24th, 2002, 09:43 AM
yeah Blood Omen is alot better than the soul reaver series, but as for the company leaning on the xbox, hey thats there loss, when it gets reviewed bad and no one buys it its them losing the money, maybe that will give them a bit more common sense in the future...maybe..lol

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by psyke

You can't really rent games here, well, maby Battle Arena Toshinden 1 somewhere, but thats it

Why not?

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Ah, Merc, you just said it all.....I can't seem to find the right words for what I'm saying, but you said it! It's true, a lot more people do have a PS2, so I really think it's frustrating about why they're focusing more on the X-Box. Unless, they feel the X-Box is getting wiped out by the PS2 and wants to help support them....:confused: But, I thought the ending to Soul Reaver was good, because it led up to the sequel for Soul Reaver 2. But, I do agree that the timing of the release for the sequel was really bad, because it just took too damn long and a lot of people lost interest. The only thing I remember that Crystal Dynamics released like hellfire was Gex: Enter the Gecko. That game wouldn't stop coming out! I also still think the Soul Reaver series is a lot better than the Blood Omen, though I've never tried out the first game or this sequel....yet.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 24th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Yup Meryl ;) some developers are :roll:
I watched a video abotu Blood Omen 2 and some of the characters are a little blocky... is it just me? or are they blocky?

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Well, I wouldn't know if the characters are blocky or not...in mags, they looked pretty smooth to me. Well....I guess I'm the only one who thought the ending for Soul Reaver was good. The only reason why I said so is because it makes you want to continue the journey and SR2 does that. I mean....SR2 does have a definite ending, right? :shock: I haven't finished playing the sequel yet, so I'm not sure. But, anyway, SR's ending was a shocker to me, but I thought, "Hey, nice...and the sequel will be coming out soon and explain it all.." *Sigh* I guess I'm alone in this...:p :laugh:

Harry
Mar 24th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by goodman
It wasnt just me who thought the ending of Soul Reaver was horrible, as a matter of fact its been considered one of the worst video game endings ever by some magazines. It ruined the game for me and gave me no incentive to play its sequel. Blood Omen is a much better game and series than Soul Reaver though, so you should check it out.

Blood Omen and Soul Reaver are part of the same series, The Legacy Of Kain. All the games are linked the one to the other and are developed by the same team (Take a look at our special on Soul Reaver 2). Anyhow, it's important to remember that the first Blood Omen - the game that started the series - was an RPG.

Actually, I did like the suspended ending of the first Soul Reaver. Too many reviewers, on my opinion, didn't have the time to notice the enormous project behind the whole series. The story of The Legacy Of Kain series is extremely ambitious; the voice acting, the great narrative parts are worth of a Shakespearean drama.

Soul Reaver 2 is one of the most impressive games released on Playstation 2. It's an incredible journey in a vast gothic world. A must have, on my opinion. We had a special on Soul Reaver 2 in November: you can read it clicking on the link below.

Chapter 1: The Story of Nogoth (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/scripts/articles.php?id=18)

We'll have a review of Blood Omen 2 soon...

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 24th, 2002, 11:33 PM
I never finished the original Soul Reaver. I got tired of all the block puzzles.

MakgSnake
Mar 25th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Well I Was Planning On Buying This Game But Now I Wont After Hearing All This.

As For Asking If Ps2 Is Showing Weakness....Nah, I Dont Think So.

Just Like....When Asked By Kojima, What Ps2 Can Do For VIDEOGAMES. He Said "Ps2 Cant Do Anything For VideoGames, Its The Developers That Can Do For Ps2 Which Can Do For VideoGames"

It All Depends On The Games Developers. Now Matter How GREAT The System Is.....If The Developer Is Not Great Or Didn't Work Hard On It, It Wont Be A Super Game To Play.

Just Like That......There are Some CRAPPY Games On Ps2 But That Doesn't Mean Ps2 Is Showing Weaknesses Its Just That The People Making Games On Ps2 Are Showing Their Weaknesses!.!

Neways.....I'll Buy Soul Reaver 2 Now....But Not Blood Omen 2! :D

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 25th, 2002, 12:25 PM
I'd still rent it Makgsnake. Despite the choppiness from time to time, it's still pretty fun.

BowevelJoe
Mar 30th, 2002, 10:51 PM
can someone buy it and mail it to me? ill probably never bother to play it any other way..unless a year from now i happen to see it on super sale and have $20 im willing to shell out lol..