PDA

View Full Version : I need help with Windows 2000

Frozen
Dec 30th, 2005, 12:36 AM
First of all, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, please move it as appropriate if needed.

Here's my situation:

My mom has an old Compaq with 256 RAM, like 1Ghz Celeron and a 20 Gig HD.

It came out of fabric with Windows ME.

As most of you probably know, Win. ME is probably the worst Windows that has ever existed. so, I decided to install Win 2000 professional, since this PC can't take anything higher than that with it's current characteristics.

Here's my problem: The original configuration from fabric had the hard drive partitioned, on the C drive Windows ME was saved. For some reason, when I installed Win 2000, this one got installed in the D drive.

C Drive is about 15 gig big and D Drive about 2 Gig.

All I wanted to do from the beginning was wipe out Windows ME and leave the computer running with Win 2000 installed on an unpartitioned hard drive.

Now my PC has both OS installed, but since Win 2000 is saved on the smallest partition, every time I try to install a program I get a lot of errors and crap.

I tried using the recovery disc that came with the PC to reboot everything to original installation but it gives me a message to contact Compaq customer service (I am pretty sure it has to do with the fact I installed Win 2000)

I have also tried using the Win 2000 disc to re install everything but it doesn't give me any options about the partitions or about erasing Win ME.

I will be leaving my mom in a couple of weeks and I really want to leave this PC set up for her so it doesn't give her any crap.

Any suggestions?

goodman
Dec 30th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Hey bro, why not just buy her a decent pc? A cheap Dell with XP would really rock, that is what i would do, myself, good luck...

Frozen
Dec 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Hey bro, why not just buy her a decent pc? A cheap Dell with XP would really rock, that is what i would do, myself, good luck...

My man, how have you been!!?? I wish you a merry christmas and a rocking new year.

I thought about doing that, but I've been spending money like crazy while I'm down here in Bogota, buying clothes (inexpensive, but great quality and a lot of selection) presents for everyone, etc... I've also bought her a brand new flat screen TV and a DVD player.

Moreover, she'll be coming to the states with me in about a year or so I hope, so I'll let her hang on to this junk a while longer, since she doesn't really use the computer that much otehr than to chat and e-mail.

I also took it as an opportunity to experiment with it as I've been doing. :evil:

No worries though, I finally fixed the problem. :D

DSgamer
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
man compaqs a bitch to work with, my dad had one of those and as soon as built a pc for him i blew up the compaq (just because it gave me so much crap) I couldn't even clear out the whole HDD to instal windows again, all you can do is put the restore disk and let it be.

compaqs suck.

kupoartist
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Personally, I would have rounded up all the files she wanted onto the small partition and formatted the larger one, THEN installed Windows 2000. Always better to start over with new OS installations than simply upgrading from what you had before.

Actually, my experience of Windows 2000 was hardly sound, and I usually kept an older version of windows installed somewhere, so I could move stuff to the backup partition Win2000 decided to become entirely inaccessable.

goodman
Dec 31st, 2005, 02:47 AM
Doing good, Froze, life has been pretty good this year overall. Yeah 2000 is a pain from my experiences, i guess you know what to do best, something simple sounds like the best plan. You and everybody have a good New Year, the year of the PS3!!!