PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Stories

merylsilverburg
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Oh yes, what an original title, hehe. Well, as you can guess from it, this thread is all about ghost stories...perfect for Halloween. So, if any of you have any ghost stories or supernatural stories you'd like to share, please do so, it'll be great to read some new ones. :)

I'll start off. The stories I'm about to tell are not my own...I heard them from this Taiwanese ghost show on TV (available on those Asian TV package things) and had my mother and sister translate some of the more difficult ones I couldn't understand. These stories are from Taiwan and I'm going to assume they are real because the show actually allows celebrities, singers, news broadcasters, and more from Taiwan to come and share their stories. Yes, it's possible they sound and may be pretty hokey, but I don't doubt the supernatural in Asian countries for the fact that many of them occur nearly every day and are pretty recent still.

Anyway, this one I'm going to tell really, really scared the bejeesus out of me...I think it's because it reminds me so much like Ringu/"The Ring" and I can't get it out of my head.

This story happened about four or five years ago. A woman freelance insurance agent sold some insurance to this guy for himself and his wife. She had all his data and his wife's data on file on her laptop computer and she uses that computer for all her business needs. A few months after that, the guy calls her up and says he's getting a divorce from his wife and he would like to remove her name from his insurance policy. Being a freelance agent, she is able to go to people's homes. So, she goes to his home where he rapes her, kills her, eats half of her then grinds up the rest of her body really finely and mixes it with some wall paint and uses the paint on his walls, getting rid of the evidence. The woman had brought her laptop computer with her so the maniac decides to give it to a friend of his who is into electronics. Then he puts the house up for rent (it could be an apartment, I forget) and moves away.

Now, another guy (we'll call him X) comes along wanting to buy a laptop computer. The guy who had just gotten the killed woman's laptop tells X he's just got a used computer which is in great condition and he cleaned out the memory and everything. So, X says he'll buy it and takes it home.

A few days later, while X was using it, out of nowwhere, the murdered insurance woman's picture pops up on the screen. The picture is her photo on her insurance card; it appeared on one side and just kinda floated across the screen and disappeared on the other side then the computer shuts down. X is wondering what's going on because he thought all the memory on the hard drive had been cleaned out. He thought nothing of it but over the course of days, the photo kept appearing randomly. He decidest to take it to an electronic store and hage and finally just remained on the screen permanently. He decides to take the computer to an electronic store and have them check it out. They inspect it then returns it to X saying all the memory had been cleaned out, there's nothing wrong the with computer. X then decides to take the computer to the police to see if they can find out who this woman is. The police inspect the computer, runs a few searches, and finds out that the insurance woman had been missing for a few weeks and no one's seen her. Then, unexpectantly, one of the guys retrieves files of the woman's insurance clients...which is scary since the computer had been completely cleaned out. The police had to go through the entire list and find out who she recently met with...and they saw the maniac's name and went to interrogate him and inspect the house/apt. They saw no evidence linking the maniac to the murder, so they let him go but still try to solve the case.

Now, the house/apt has been put up for rent, so the landlord rents it out to people. Because the house is, well, the murder site and is cursed now (obviously), all of the people who moved in have either: killed themselves, killed each other, committed suicide, committed murder and more, along with many car accidents and deaths occurring on the street where the house is located. One story: A married couple moves into the house and everything was fine between them. Suddenly, the guy decides to have an affair with this young woman and they went out for a while. Finally, the guy says he wants to end the affair and wants to return to his wife. The young woman gets pissed and goes to his house one day where she murders him when he gets home. She has gone crazy, basically. She waits for the wife, the wife gets home, the young girl tells her about their affair and then the two woman basically start killing each other with knives or anything and both die. (The newscasters and reporters who were telling this story on the show basically said the entire interior was covered with blood; hack n' slash). So, basically, anyone moving in will die or get killed.

Finally, because the walls were painted with the insurance woman's body, the walls begin to change color and begin to rot and smell. The landlord calls up the police to re-inspect the place and finally, they figured out about the wall paint and went to arrest the maniac (whom, apparently, is a "normal" guy who goes to work, talks with people, has friends, etc.).

Now, X who still has the computer decides to sell the laptop (now the case is solved) because he doesn't want the computer anymore (who would?). He sells the computer to another friend, telling him to clean out the hard-drive and memory. A few days later, he gets into a car accident and dies. A few weeks later, the new owner of the laptop dies and so on...

...Basically, the laptop is now a cursed object because after the case was solved, in Asian belief (and just common sense too!!), you're supposed to "cleanse" the object so the killed person's soul would be at rest. But because X didn't clean the object, it's now cursed with the woman's rage and anyone who owns the computer dies. Apparently...after this incident, the computer was put up for auction in China and so...it's now just floating around somewhere in the world in someone's hands. And I don't think it was cleansed either...

So, that's that. This story made headline news in Taiwan, so I'm thinking it's not made-up. I'll share some more later.

happy_doughnut
Oct 18th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Good one, meryl. Thinking that that laptop is just lying around somewhere, uncleansed, makes chills run down my spine. :S

I would have thought that by having the case solved and the killer punished, her soul would be content, though. It seemed to me that that was what she wanted--to have her killer found and punished for her death. I guess that's not all, though.

Anyway, I have one. This is one my parents told me a while ago, and it still makes me get all creeped out even today. This, they say, happened to my mom and her brother quite some years ago...

Many years ago, my mom lived in a small house with my grandma and uncle in a small suburb of another country. This was way back before I was even born. Anyway, in this place, it would rain a lot during the winter and the lights would almost always go out because of the storms, leaving them without electricity for a good portion of the day and/or night. One night of December, my grandma got really sick because the rain just wouldn't cease, making the town unbearably cold. My mom and uncle took her to a hostpital in another city and the doctor said it was best if they left her there for a couple of days, and they did. Both of them returned home. One the first night, my mom says she clearly heard my grandmas voice calling her. She got up in a panick and woke up my uncle to ask whether he had heard anything, and he said he hadn't. On the second night, my mom heard her voice again, pick up a lantern, and got up to investigate. No one was there--not even my uncle. She got worried and looked for him. She went to the back of the house and saw a HUGE black dog just standing there starring right at her. The dog then charged to her and she yelled, but then my uncle appeared out of nowhere and wrestled with the dog.

Then...

Both of them heard my grandma's voice. Upon hearing it, the dog just stopped and slowly started walking back until he turned around and ran off. They were both really scared. Then, the third night came. After this night, my mom and uncle were going to go pick up my grandma, but...

On this night my mom heard the voice again. She woke up only to see the dog just standing there besides her bed. My mom yelled and the dog jumped on the bed but my uncle came, and instead the dog then plunged at him. My mom began to pray and as soon as she did, the door of the room just began openning and closing like crazy. The dog then began howling like mad. Seeing this, my mom felt this was an "evil spirit," so she threw olive oil, which I guess is supposed to have good powers or something, on it and the dog got even crazier. Just then they heard my grandmas voice one more time, and they think they heard her say:"Evil be gone" or something. As soon as they heard that, the dog ran out of the house. My mom hurried to tend my uncle, who was pretty beaten up. For some reason, though, she decided to chase the dog. She ran outside and sure enough, it was waiting there. By this time the rain was getting heavier, and it was really dark. All she could see was provided my the momentary lighting strikes. She says she was really scared, but that she stood there and finally threw a crucifix at it. The dog ran off and somewhere in the distance, a gun shot when off--the dog fell and my mom followed no more.

The next day they both got up and left to go get my grandma. My mom was still curious though, and since it was daylight :laugh:, decided to go over there to see the dead dog. In its stead, though, she found a bundle of dead snakes on top of some money along with one of grandmas rings. She picked up the money and ring and ran to check her purse--the money was gone. She was totally startled and confused. She counted the money and it was exactly the same amount she had in her purse. She had no idea what had happened, so she instead decided to not think more of it, put the money and ring in her purse, and hurried off to the hospital.

When they got there, my grandma was waiting for them all ready to go. They hugged each other and my mom said to my grandma, "You won't believe what just happened!" My grandma just smiled and said, "Oh, I know..." My mom gave her a puzzled look... but then... she noticed her hand. On it was the same ring my mom had put in the purse. She immediately checked and it wasn't there anymore! Seeing this, my grandma simply said, "I thought you weren't going to have enough money to come get me."

__________________________________________________ _

That's it! When they went back the snakes and everything was gone. It was like a nightmare. I don't know about your or them, but I would have just died. I'm such a chicken. Oh, and my grandma scares me. :laugh:

DSgamer
Oct 18th, 2005, 10:52 PM
wow, i liked both of those stories, really creepy

Berserker
Oct 22nd, 2005, 08:13 AM
Damn, that's some scary stuff guys! They will do good as scripts for horror-movies.

merylsilverburg
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:44 AM
I would have thought that by having the case solved and the killer punished, her soul would be content, though. It seemed to me that that was what she wanted--to have her killer found and punished for her death. I guess that's not all, though.

Yes, that's true, she did want her killer to be found, but because the object that was around at the time of her death was...well, around (and part of the whole incident) it's still "cursed" even though they found her killer. It's really horrible, but understandable.

Your story was pretty freaky...what country was your mother, uncle, and grandmother living in at that time? I wonder if that black dog had anything to do with the country's spiritual beliefs.

Anyway, here's another, again not mine. The girl telling this story is a singer in Taiwan and her story was of her childhood:

Back when she was in elementary school (I think maybe around first grade) she and her schoolfriends were at recess and they decided to play a game of hide and seek. So, one of the kids was "It" and s/he counted down and everyone went to hide. Now, the singer girl had a good friend among the group and she and her friend decided to hide someways off near the lavatories (I think the restrooms were connected to the school, but one door leads outside to the playground/field and that's where they went to hide). The singer girl went to hide in some bushes near the restrooms while her friend actually hid inside the restroom in the last stall (out of the six, I believe).

Her friend kept hearing the children playing and stuff outside, but after a while, she couldn't hear them anymore. She thought that maybe the game was over and decided to rejoin the group. When she went to open the stall door, she couldn't open it. It was locked even though the latch inside was unlocked. She kept tugging at it and she couldn't open it, so she started calling for help but no one came. The door leading outside was either too thick or the children were too far away. Suddenly, the friend began to hear the sound of a wheelchair squeaking along the floor along with footsteps, so she stopped and listened. Then, the girl heard someone knocking on the door of the very first stall and a woman's voice asking "Is someone inside?" Gradually, the wheelchair and the footsteps advance a little closer to the friend's stall and the same process repeats: knocking, asking, walking. Now the girl is freaking out completely, but the door was still locked. Finally, whatever was outside stopped at her stall and asked again "Is someone inside?" The girl didn't answer but just stayed there trying to be as quiet as possible. Nothing happened...no noise, no movement, nothing. So, the girl decided to stay there for 10 more minutes just in case whatever is outside is still there. So, she stays there...finally, after 10 minutes, she's ready to leave...but she suddenly decides to look above her and...

...she sees a young nurse and an old woman just peering down at her with a calm expression on their faces. Basically, they've been looking at her for all those 10 minutes. The girl freaks out and tries to open the door, which opened, and runs to find her teacher and classmates. She's crying and traumatized and explains to the teacher what happened. Later on in the day, the teacher goes to the principal and asks him/her about the incident which the principal seemed a bit uneasy about. The principal finally admitted that the school used to be either a hospital or a nursing home (I forget) but the place got burned down in a fire and the young nurse and the old woman in a wheelchair died in that lavatory.

So there you have it. And of course stupid people would turn the place into a school, I mean, what place better, right? :sarcasm: Yeah, this one was pretty scary too when I heard it.

Qjij_jijQ
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Great stories girls... I like 'em.

In my old house, I used to see quite a few strange things, but for some reason they never really appeared to me as 'dangerous' or 'evil'. There were times where I have seen or heard things that have frightened me, but nothing really unbearably scary.

For example...

Quite a few years ago, my brother and I were upstairs watching television alone and everything was quiet in the house... the only thing making noise was the t.v. in front of us. The way our home was designed, we had the staircase that lead downstairs to the right of the living room and out of nowhere, we start to hear a ball bouncing up and down downstairs... at first we figured something had fallen for some reason, but strangely the ball didn't stop bouncing... we were so freaked out that we simply went outside and did something else. When we came back, it had stopped.

One night, when we were young, we were doing some renovations so we had to sleep in the same room ( my sister, my brother and I ) and of all the rooms we could've slept in, we ended up in my old grandma's room ( she had passed away a while ago ) and in the middle of the night I woke up and decided to turn around only to see, lying right in from of me ( no more than 30 cm ) and young woman ( very pale ), the worst part is that she wasen't sleeping, but was looking straight at me... but for some strange reason, I wasn't scared. We just looked at each other for a few seconds and then I turned away. When I looked back afterwards she was gone.

Before those 2 events, I recall one day... the whole family was going on a small trip and everyone was ready and waiting in the car. Before we left, I had to go back inside to get something I had forgotten in the kitchen... I went trough the back door ( we had 2 kitchen, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs ) and the one in the back was downstairs. As I enter, I see what I needed to pick up right there on the table and I decide to grap something to eat for the road in the fridge that's right next to the bathroom. As I'm looking inside the refrigerator, I turn my head around as something as caught my eye in the bathroom ( the door is open ). To my horror I see a shadow moving inside of there and what's even worse it looks like it has somewhat of a human shape. I freak out and just burst out of there without thinking... I have no idea what that was.

Ah... those were the good ol' days :laugh:

merylsilverburg
Oct 28th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Great stories girls... I like 'em.

In my old house, I used to see quite a few strange things, but for some reason they never really appeared to me as 'dangerous' or 'evil'. There were times where I have seen or heard things that have frightened me, but nothing really unbearably scary.

For example...

Quite a few years ago, my brother and I were upstairs watching television alone and everything was quiet in the house... the only thing making noise was the t.v. in front of us. The way our home was designed, we had the staircase that lead downstairs to the right of the living room and out of nowhere, we start to hear a ball bouncing up and down downstairs... at first we figured something had fallen for some reason, but strangely the ball didn't stop bouncing... we were so freaked out that we simply went outside and did something else. When we came back, it had stopped.

One night, when we were young, we were doing some renovations so we had to sleep in the same room ( my sister, my brother and I ) and of all the rooms we could've slept in, we ended up in my old grandma's room ( she had passed away a while ago ) and in the middle of the night I woke up and decided to turn around only to see, lying right in from of me ( no more than 30 cm ) and young woman ( very pale ), the worst part is that she wasen't sleeping, but was looking straight at me... but for some strange reason, I wasn't scared. We just looked at each other for a few seconds and then I turned away. When I looked back afterwards she was gone.

Before those 2 events, I recall one day... the whole family was going on a small trip and everyone was ready and waiting in the car. Before we left, I had to go back inside to get something I had forgotten in the kitchen... I went trough the back door ( we had 2 kitchen, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs ) and the one in the back was downstairs. As I enter, I see what I needed to pick up right there on the table and I decide to grap something to eat for the road in the fridge that's right next to the bathroom. As I'm looking inside the refrigerator, I turn my head around as something as caught my eye in the bathroom ( the door is open ). To my horror I see a shadow moving inside of there and what's even worse it looks like it has somewhat of a human shape. I freak out and just burst out of there without thinking... I have no idea what that was.

Ah... those were the good ol' days :laugh:
You know, if it were me, I would've thought, in the first and last situations, it were burglers/thieves instead of ghosts. I mean, I'm not denying what you experienced, please don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying the idea of ghosts would've not passed my mind...until I saw something really scary/bizarre (like your second situation). But, the first situation is pretty frightening...the idea of hearing such a sound (especially a ball...my God, do you think it was a young child ghost?!) would've frozen my blood. But, how did you guys manage to go outside if you were upstairs? Would you guys have to go downstairs to go out, then you would've seen what was bouncing the ball? Sorry, I'm just a bit confused. :right:

Qjij_jijQ
Oct 28th, 2005, 07:40 AM
I mean, I'm not denying what you experienced, please don't get me wrong, but I'm just saying the idea of ghosts would've not passed my mind...until I saw something really scary/bizarre (like your second situation).

Come on now meryl, don't be like that. As a matter of fact, I welcome your point of view and/or your way of understanding things... how could I take it the wrong way?

You see, I guess it has a lot to do with the environment you're raised in... In psychology, there's a thing called the availability heuristic, which basically reffers to the fact that people tend to associate events, stories, situations to information that is more 'fresh' or more present in their mind. My mother had always been a horror movie junky, which means that I ended up watching a lot when I was young... and you know what that can do to kids, right? At the time, it then seemed more 'logical' for me to associate those situations with monsters and ghosts than robbers... heck, it's even quite possible that on an unconscious level, I 'changed' the way it actually really happened, just to fit the scheme I had of something like this. ( not saying it's not true, just that my point of view of the moment could be biased ) You're probably seeing things from your own angle, which is different than mine and that's quite alright.

As for the way wy house is made... it's probably a bad choice of words on my part. I used the term 'second' floor because I saw my basement as being the 'first' one. You see, I didn't really want to call it a basement, as there is a door in the back of the first floor that leads outside. The Terrain is made in a way that allows us to enter on the 'second' floor from the front and exit either on the second or first floor in the back. I don't know if you understand... I'll try making drawings of it on Paint, to try to explain it better.

merylsilverburg
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Come on now meryl, don't be like that. As a matter of fact, I welcome your point of view and/or your way of understanding things... how could I take it the wrong way?

Hehe, I was just afraid you might mistaken my words since some people can get so defensive about certain things. :right:

You see, I guess it has a lot to do with the environment you're raised in... In psychology, there's a thing called the availability heuristic, which basically reffers to the fact that people tend to associate events, stories, situations to information that is more 'fresh' or more present in their mind. My mother had always been a horror movie junky, which means that I ended up watching a lot when I was young... and you know what that can do to kids, right? At the time, it then seemed more 'logical' for me to associate those situations with monsters and ghosts than robbers... heck, it's even quite possible that on an unconscious level, I 'changed' the way it actually really happened, just to fit the scheme I had of something like this. ( not saying it's not true, just that my point of view of the moment could be biased ) You're probably seeing things from your own angle, which is different than mine and that's quite alright.

Oh yeah, that makes a lot more sense, I never thought of that before. :) Yeah, unlike your mother, my mother is completely anti-horror; it's not that she absolutely refuses to watch any horror movies, but they scare her very much, so she avoids them. And because I somewhat resemble her in that regard, I tried and try to avoid horror movies as well...so growing up, it was more psychologically on that whole "thieves" paranoia than "supernatural" paranoia.

As for the way wy house is made... it's probably a bad choice of words on my part. I used the term 'second' floor because I saw my basement as being the 'first' one. You see, I didn't really want to call it a basement, as there is a door in the back of the first floor that leads outside. The Terrain is made in a way that allows us to enter on the 'second' floor from the front and exit either on the second or first floor in the back. I don't know if you understand... I'll try making drawings of it on Paint, to try to explain it better.

Ah, I see now. Don't worry, you don't have to draw it on Paint (it'll be difficult to do with that cheap-o program :laugh: ). My current house is actually like that too...we have a "basement" (it's not truly a basement as it's quite livable, though the air is somewhat stuffy) and there's a door that leads outside and on the second/first floor (or the "main floor") there is also a door leading outside. Hehe, I guess if I were in your shoes, I would've bolted outside too. :laugh:

Redpyramidhead
Jan 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM
OK, another thread revive. I am on a roll today. :D This is for Meryl as thanks for putting up with me;)

Ok, so here it goes. About two months ago, I woke up to something rather startling. When I say I woke up to it, I mean that it seemed to actually startle me out of sleep into an awakened state of mind. The two senses that experienced this phenomenon were my sense of sight and sound, but nothing else. What did I see and hear that was out of the ordinary? Well this may sound inconcievable, but I saw a young blonde girl who was probably in her early teens, doing what seemed to be a sort of "diving motion" over the end of my futon (where my feet were) towards me while making a very distinctly disquieting and angst-filled groaning/moaning sound. This all probably happened over the course of about a split second, but was seemingly long enough for me to remember that disturbing moaning sound which, replayed back in my head, seems to take about an entire second. This girl appeared as clear as day and what looked to be a solid tangible object, had I been a little closer and quick enough to reach towards where she appeared.

OK, this is where I am going to try and make this fun. I actually have what I feel is a fairly rational (i.e. non-supernatural) explanation for this, but I want to see if somebody can figure it out based on clues I may have interspersed within the context.

And no, this is NOT a trick question.

_RED_ stuff