PDA

View Full Version : The Occult

happy_doughnut
Oct 10th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Well, since this is a magickal month, meaning that Halloween will soon be upon us, I suppose this is the best time to ask you guys whether or not you believe in the Occult.

What do I mean by the Occult, you ask? Anything Magick, basically. Any and all things pertaining to the world of metaphysics, including magick, spells, astrology, numerology, scrying, Tarot, runes, and so on.

Do you believe that such things work? That they are "real"? Do you believe that, upon summoning the power of a Master Psychic or Witch or any of the like, they will wield their power of Magick and aid you--and actually make something work?

Or do you believe this is all phony--a waste of time, and often, a waste of money too?

Please indicated which you believe and give a brief explanation of why you think so.

:D

Faile
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Man, I'd be lying to say I didn't believe in the power of so-called 'occult practitioning'. I was raised in a pagan household by my mother, so it's something that's always been around me. I remember various rituals taking place to mark occasions. It certainly happens less these days however, but I do believe in the various powers. Nothing too drastic though, I remain a committed agnostic, but this world is indeed a strange and beautiifully powerful place and there is some higher power at work, no doubt, and that is nature. Showing respect to that force is a very natural thing and perhaps something we should do more often, however I've yet to find a way through said occult practise that moves me enough to repeat it. I like to think the way I live my life is enough. I think the idea of magicks are a bit far fetched, certainly as some people see them. Hoping to wield them to obtain some easier way of achieving something for instance, will never benefit you.

I don't think I can give easy answers to whether I fully believe in various forms of divination and tarot etc, but I've certainly seen some accuracy in results. Again though, and perhaps because I'm a lazy person, I've not seen anything enough to move me to constantly seek these things out as an aid to my life.

Of more interest to me is the world of the supernatural. I'm a full believer in 'ghosts' and the world of spirit. I used to have a dream of becoming a ghostbuster, but I think I'm far too scared. I've certainly had various supernatural experiences throughout my life, most recently of which occured over the summer when I was lying in bed and felt a hand on my shoulder that caused my arm to go ice cold. It was pretty scary for a moment or two, but I've grown used to it. I've seen figures and 'shadow people' pretty much my whole life. I've certainly blocked it out in the past, but I'm starting to open back up to it a little, in the hope of displaying some level of mediumship in the future, something that has run in my family through my mothers side. I've received advice on blocking out the negative aspects of this skill, so I'm hoping that soon enough I'll be ready to open myself up to it all again, even if it does mean seeing scary things like ghosts and negative energies and whatever else this world has hidden. It's certainly as close as I get to having a faith of any kind.

I hope this makes sense!

IcyMourdor
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:56 AM
I don't know how much of it I actually believe in. I believe that there is something in the zodiac. I don't mean the daily horoscopes and all things related. Just the process of all 12 signs and how well or not well that they work together and how they help define how are souls are.

As for magic, I believe that some stones and some gems may have certain properties to them that I have yet to explore.

Other than that, I'm not to sure. Haven't really given it much thought in a few years.

merylsilverburg
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Of more interest to me is the world of the supernatural.

Yes, me too. I believe strongly in the supernatural but I also believe in the occult. So, my vote is 'yes.' I do believe in astronomy and numerology and basically anything that is able to tell us of our future, our past, etc. There are some phonies out there, but I'm talking about the genuine ones.

I've been interested in learning how to do tarot readings, but I'm afraid it won't work since I don't possess any "otherworldly" qualities that one should possess if interested in these things. I did learn how to do a little palm-reading and it's surprisingly accurate, it's scary.

But, as Faile said, I'm more interested in the supernatural and have a lot more ghost stories to tell which I will create a thread about soon.

happy_doughnut
Oct 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I'd be delighted to know why Vic voted "no."

Anyway, I already voted, as you can see, as "yes." I completely, 100% believe in that stuff. I used to be skeptical, and I believe that there was even a time when I might have told meryl that I didn't. But now, as I've grown *cough*older*cough*, I've come to realize that much of that thought was due to my parents' religion: Christians.

Knowing this, you can imagine how hard it is to inquire about these things. Well, actually, more like how hard it was, since I am know older and more capable of using other resources for information.

Before, I used to believe magick was real and that is was product of Satan. :laugh: Omg. That was my parents talking. Now, though, I do realize that there are some crazy devil worshippers out there, but there is a fine difference between these and witches, whom have their own deities, and many times for them, "Satan/Devil" is close to non-existant. Now, I still believe, only that I believe even more, and understand how magick is not "evil" as my parents used to say; it really isn't. It's all in the metaphysics of it and our energy, and most importantly, our Will--this alone is what makes magick happen. I think that if anything, we should be grateful that the Universe has given us some people with these abilities--the ones that as meryl said, are truly genuine.

I believe in anything from pendulum swinging to spell casting. I was talking with a classmate last week about it and I was just amazed at all a spell can do! It simply is amazing.

Like Mourdor, I also have a fascination with the Zodiac. I once read a description of it some time ago, and I was just shocked! I was all: "Omg, this is me!" XD It was so detailed and in depth that is was simply amazing. But like Mourdor, I also don't really enjoy those that are slapped in the back of Cosmopolitan; most of them are just dumb.

I also find it annoying how some people live under the assumption that any person that practices magick or any person that believes is in it dumb and uneducated. Uh, hello? I don't think so.

But, as Faile said, I'm more interested in the supernatural and have a lot more ghost stories to tell which I will create a thread about soon.

Oh! Please do! I love ghost stories! Love them! :drool:

Hylas
Oct 13th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I voted "not sure". The fact is I have no direct experience, so I have no proof to make me believe, but I don't feel like denying everything just because of personal knowledge. It's sort of "I don't know what and to believe about it, and why" position. I'm not into tarots, runes, astrology either. These things are not very fascinating to me :P