PDA

View Full Version : Ghetto

fantasytiger
Aug 7th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Ghetto the term ghetto was used to describe the slums of Russia and Germany which were little villages that were the very meaning of poverty. Some where along the way someone decided to use the word to describe run down cities ,but sadly the cities do not come close to true poverty I live in Detroit and despite what people think or get off of MTV and Hollywood most of the people in the city don’t live gloriously ,but we live well enough we still have cars, tv’s, computers, cell phones the latest styles and fashions we work are butts off for it but who doesn’t. Ok the reason for that is today I got a random AIM from some chick named “Call me Leah” and she proves that these bs rappers and bs movies are rotting peoples minds she says and I quote “I hardly doubt you live in Detroit if you have a computer and it has not been stolen” quote Detroit has been labeled a ghetto personally I don’t think it is yes we have crime just like everywhere else and yes our crime rate might be higher ,but that is because we have more people living here our biggest problem here is not poverty its ignorance. If you sit down and watch the news most of the “killings” that happen here are do to meaningless shit if the city was filled with such poverty we would not be killing each other over a 150 dollar pair of shoes. There are a select few people in this city that don’t have homes and are starving and yes people get stuff stolen all the time but that does not mean if you have something it will get stolen no questions asked or everyone here is starving . If you have the basic things you need to live your not living in poverty some people get that confused with all the luxuries that are out there today. If you don’t have a computer, cell phone, hot tub, big house, nice car, name brand clothes, TV, VCR, DVD player it does not mean your living in poverty nor does it mean you living the high life if you do happen to have these things. True poverty is living in a make shift home’s freezing in the winter eating whatever you can fine and sadly it happens in third world countries all the time we have all seen the children on TV with their rib cages sticking out dirty from head to toe picking through trash for food half dressed that to me is extremely poor or poverty. Yeah my life has not been a walk in the park all the shit I have now was thanks to my mom and dad, my dad does not live with us but if they know we need something to further our education or to give us a push in the direction of becoming something great they sacrifice their own wants to get us these things thus the computer I got (which my mom is still paying on) I got This thing a year and a half ago so me and my brother could complete our graduation reports because our school did not have enough computers that worked for the 150 students that had to do the report we also use it for college stuff, Yes there are times I am sitting in my kitchen with a candle cause our power and gas got cut ,but through everything I have been through in my life I never think my situation is worst then someone else’s the true thing that pissed me off was when she said “you just trying to get sympathy” :frust: and all I said to inspire this comment was “have you ever been to the cities?”. I talk about my life so far and my struggles so far to inspire others especially when they go “life is not fair why do I try” or “I give up” I try to show them the world is not particularly trying to screw them over. I don’t want people to feel bad because I don’t I never said poor me I took it all as a learning experience and I believe it has made me a better stronger person. I just thought I would rant to you guys here who are like a second family to me so I can hear your opinions and comments on the whole thing and perhaps liven up the boards again. :happy:

DSgamer
Aug 7th, 2005, 06:03 PM
ur hella ghetto

jk :-P

Chara
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Well, I looko at it this way: There is the true ghettos, and then there is America ghetto. No one in America is really starving to death. Yea, there are some people who live like shit, but they can provide themselves with the things they need... just not the stuff they want. We do have ghettos, just not true ones.

What I dont like is how people actually say they came from the ghetto like it is something to be proud of. I hate how stupid poeple try to glorify the way some of these dudes are living. This is why I really hate people like 50 cent and whatnot. I especially dont like his follwers who are like "Yea, that dude got shot 5 times! He's hard!" No... he is just an idiot who got lucky. He is even more of an idiot cause apparently still has this mentality. 2pac was decent, he got shot multiple times also, but did he go bragging about it? No, dude got over his past and changed himself.

Erm... yea, I kinda went off on a tangent there. I tend to do that. But I can see where you are coming from. I did live in what people would call the ghetto for most of my childhood (yea, I even had to walk around in jackets in the winter when our gas got cut off sometimes), but it really isnt nowhere as bad as the true ghettos. As I said... there are the real ghettos and there are the American ghettos.

Phenom
Aug 11th, 2005, 11:12 PM
Hmm... lets see. I don't consider the word ghetto the same as poverty. Don't know why... I've always considered the word ghetto as a joke type thing. You know when people see you do something out the ordinary, and say you ghetto such a such....

As far as this person you were chatting with. To go so far as to make a bullshittin statement saying “I hardly doubt you live in Detroit if you have a computer and it has not been stolen” I'll tell you right now. I would've cussed her out. (And that's normally my style cuz I have more respect for ladies or women than that.) I live in Detroit as well, and I will say I dislike this city XD. But it's only because of these crappy bills. Other than that.... It's pretty much like every other city imo. We don't need any main attraction though.

For the rappers and movies and tv shows..... I don't really see how people can compare the movies and shows to Detroit if they never been here. Every Detroit city in these movies and shows looks like New York for some odd reason. Only show to give Detroit a good name was Home Improvement. (BRAVO) For the rappers.... "shrugs" Eminem is your best bet. 50 cent can kiss my ass.

I don't know what to tell you though. Just ignore those that you chat with that tries to down grade Detroit from what they've seen on tv or heard on radio's. (Personally, I'd tell all of them to piss off.)