PDA

View Full Version : MGS1 Artbook

merylsilverburg
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:00 PM
Wow.....that's the only word to describe this artbook. Man, I was flipping through it and it has original artwork of MGS, the original character sketches and the mecha sketches. All done by Shinkawa-san and everything! There's Japanese, but there's English translations too! So, I was able to read what Shinakawa-san was thinking when he drew a certain pic or scene. It is amazing! They have the data on every character, even their fingerprints! :shock: Here are some things that I didn't even know about: *MAYBE SPOILERS*

Solid Snake's nationality is actually....American! At least, that's what it said in the book. His IQ is 180 and he speaks 6 languages fluently.

Hal Emmerich's code name "Otacon" comes from "Otaku" because he's a fan of anime, and attends conventions regularly.

Revolver Ocelot's nationality is actually.....Russian?! Yeah, strange, 'cause he has a western accent, but it kinda makes sense if you've played MGS2....

Psycho Mantis's nationality is also Russian. Seems strange because he had no accent in the game...

Sniper Wolf's nationality is Iraq, but I'm pretty sure you guys knew that...

Well, that's that. There is even two MGS Drama CD's which I think are out of print right now...:( I'm not sure what they're about, but in the artbook, there seemed to be new characters involved. But, I think these Drama CD's talk about Solid Snake's past, so the characters are probably the people he met in the past. Again, I'm not sure. Well, that's it. Just thought you guys liked to know. It was interesting for me. :)

Devil Snake
Mar 22nd, 2002, 12:15 PM
yeah meryl u r right that is interesting...but there is one thing which is confusing me it is that ,in mgs2 guide book the biography of snake was written and there it was that snake is canadian even mak.g has readed that and he had included this thing in one of his thread.Even in mgs2 gameplay when snake is giving information about vamp he talk to us like a canadian like he add.... eh! after his sentence this is the talking style canadian u know so i think that he is canadian.:disturb:

merylsilverburg
Mar 22nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
What? Really? Wow, I didn't know that. I wonder why they did that then? So, I wonder what's Snake's real nationality is then. I also heard he was Japanese-British too. So he's either he's American, Canadian, or Japanese-British....:roll: :roll: :roll:

psyke
Mar 24th, 2002, 06:25 AM
erh, cant all that be found in the game? Maby not the Iq of 180 thing..

and wheres the suprise in Snake being american?

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 02:03 PM
The surprise of Snake being American is because a lot of people thought he was Canadian or Japanese-British. I remember reading somewhere that Shinkawa-san said he thought Snake would be Japanese-British. Also, he doesn't have that American look to him....at least that's how I see it.

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 24th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Devil Snake
yeah meryl u r right that is interesting...but there is one thing which is confusing me it is that ,in mgs2 guide book the biography of snake was written and there it was that snake is canadian even mak.g has readed that and he had included this thing in one of his thread.Even in mgs2 gameplay when snake is giving information about vamp he talk to us like a canadian like he add.... eh! after his sentence this is the talking style canadian u know so i think that he is canadian.:disturb:

The word eh is not just canadian here in northern wisconsin i know people who use it to and we are the U.S.

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 24th, 2002, 05:47 PM
he doesn't have that American look to him....at least that's how I see it.

I would have to disagree with that he has a very american look americans look different in like every state you go to wisconsin people look different then florida people and new york people look different then california people so you really cant make that statement.

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 06:27 PM
I'm not saying that Snake ISN'T American, I'm just saying that he doesn't look like it too much, but maybe he is, who knows for sure? I'm pretty sure a lot of Americans look like that, but you know, his eyes are pretty narrow, so they almost look Japanese....but once again, that's just me and my opinion.

Bhcdarkness
Mar 26th, 2002, 10:36 AM
nationality only means where he was born and where is birth certificate is from, not that the resemble the majority of people in that country. other than that it means nothing. i know people with american nationality but come from different racial backgrounds.

and you also have to take into consideration that snake has been a military man for god knows how long, and hes probably shaped himself into a form he can best work in, let alone what the government wants him to look like.

at the raven battle in MGS, raven states that snake has "blood from the east". and says that his ancestors grew up "on the barren plains of mongolia"

Neo_Soldier28
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Very very very good point and i agree very much

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 26th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
The surprise of Snake being American is because a lot of people thought he was Canadian or Japanese-British. I remember reading somewhere that Shinkawa-san said he thought Snake would be Japanese-British. Also, he doesn't have that American look to him....at least that's how I see it.

Hay people watch the sense less i agree posts.Anyways on meryls topic,i would think snakes nationality would most likely be decided by the guy who created him~shinkawa,i dont think magazines or strategys can simply tell which nationality snake is by what they think,they should follow what the game makers think.

merylsilverburg
Mar 26th, 2002, 08:17 PM
I agree with you, SSSnake. So, I guess...since Shinakawa-san said Japanese-British....I guess Snake is Japanese-British. But, Snake still kinda looks Canadian to me, but also Japanese-British too. Hmm....I wonder what Kojima-san thinks?

Devil Snake
Apr 1st, 2002, 04:00 AM
this thing is confusing me man .......... why dont we ask kojima LoL