PDA

View Full Version : How can you withstand it?

Phenom
Jul 13th, 2005, 12:17 PM
This is just something that is stupid, and that I had to get off my chest. (If you don't mind)

I use to enjoy the summer very much, because of the summer vacations. (School breaks, and travelling to Cedar Point and such) But now that I'm a bit older... I don't care for none of it too much anymore. And I HATE summer.

Now majority of the people I know still like the summer because of women wearing little clothing and showing more skin. (Poo on those people) How do y'all get sleep during this season? For the past few days I've been only getting 2-3 hours of sleep. (that's what this stupid topic is mainly about) Some of you may say go out and get an air conditioner. Well I have one, but the problem is, it can only fit in 1 frickin window. The rest of these windows in my house are too damn big. (6-7ft windows) Why did these people I call my parents have big windows put in is beyond me.

Make it even worse. I sleep upstairs... where the sun beams directly over the house, and it's already muggy and humid in my room. (you can litterally say it's 100+ degrees in my room) I have 3 fans running continously pointing directly at me, (I'm surprised my electric bill isn't high) and they do nothing but blow out hot air... >_> (windows stay opened)

So yea, stupid topic made by someone who got very little sleep, wondering how can people put up with this heat especially at night? :frust:

P.S. Maybe y'all can give me some ideas on how to cool my room off. (if possible)

Piggle_humsy
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:05 PM
I know exactly what you mean... I hate summer too!
My bedroom is like a sauna in the summer..It locks all the heat in..and I have to keep all the windows shut because of my hayfever! :(
We only have one small fan..and I'm talking like smaller than a normal size dinner plate and we can't have it on all the time because we can't afford the bills..

The only thing I can suggest is getting a water spray.. that's what I have..mine is what my dad used to put window cleaner in for his old business...it's an unused one that we have left over..but something like that and fill it with cold water and spray it up and the wonderfully cold sprinke of water that lands on your face/back etc is sooo nice! especially if you have your fan on you..that makes it even colder!
Thats what I do because the water spray doesn't cost any money to run! :D

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

trunks69420
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:10 PM
P.S. Maybe y'all can give me some ideas on how to cool my room off. (if possible)

okay heres how you do it man. Move into your basement... the cold usually is nice down there.. thast what i did... i have the hottest room in my house... so i live in my basement... for now anyways... and if that doesnt work.. genetically alter yourself to have gills and live underwater.

that is all i got :)

happy_doughnut
Jul 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Man, I know exactly what you mean! I live in heat central, seriously. Around here, many people don't complain about the whether mainly because of the several beaches that are near. In this place, the summer is very welcomed because people really do have fun in the sun going to the beaches at day or at night, wearing their new bathing suits and playing beach volleyball. It sickens me.

I hate the summer. I hate it. I have very low tolerance for heat, meaning that when it gets too hot for me to handle it, I usually start feeling annoyed and exasperated. Plus, my eyes are sensitive to bright lighting. Can you image having to deal with the ramrod of bright light every day? Argh! :frust: Thus, I think the summer is just a load of crap. Besides, I don't like to wear shorts or short skirts with little tube tops. Eesh. That would be an abomination, I swear. Everything, everything goes wrong in the summer!

So, what do I do? Because like your room, my room is also a mini greenhouse, I find it next to impossible to fall asleep at night. And also like you, these past few days I've been getting little sleep, which sucks majorly considering that I have school at 7 in the morning. :heh:

Anyways, every night before I go to sleep, I drink a frosty glass of lemonade (okay, okay, I drink the whole pitcher :laugh: ). I find that this helps cool your inside, just like a cold glass of water. I also sleep with the windows open, but make sure I close them at night to block out the heat. It is usually cooler at night, so it's good to sleep with the windows open to allow the cool breezes in and them traping them inside during the day (by closing the windows).

Taking a cold (meaning - just turn on the faucet labeled "C"), shower or bath right before going to bed is good too. And so is sleeping with fresh clothing, such as clothes made out of linen or cotton, keeping in mind that they should be big and comfy to let the coolness run through the body.

Have you thought about buying a portable air conditioner? They are not very bulgy and there are some that are pretty inexpensive (and also energy-saving ACs to save you some cash on that electricity biil). There are also less expensive products such as air coolers, which you can place atop a desk or the likes, and also window ventilators, which are placed on your windowsill. I have seen some really big ones, so I'm sure you can find some for your huge windows! : D Or you could just taint your windows...

But yeah, that's what I do. Sometimes when it gets too hot I like to go outside and drink more lemonade while fanning myself. :o

Do you have a pool? If you do, you might want to consider making that your own personal water bed. *nod*

tempted
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Well here's my advice, since i seem to be living in "hell country" lol...i have a huge fan on my bedroom but that alone doesn't do much, even with it on pretty much all day, I have a huge window which i love, but the worse part is my blinds are black, which means if i didn't do anything, when the sun hits the window in the afternoon, my bedroom would become literaly hell, but here's what i do, i keep the blinds and the window closed all day long, a dark room is always colder, and i open it when it gets dark and keep both, blinds and window, open during the whole night and part of the morning, that makes the heat to leave the room, and it helps to make it colder. And on the days that fails which happens like once a week, a cold shower or a swimm it's always a good one.

Faile
Jul 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I like summer but it takes me ages to adjust to the heat. I'd prefer winter but winter seriously messes up my sleeping patterns and I become somewhat nocturnal. Besides, it's nice to be able to sit outside I guess.

YunaDiva05
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:01 PM
The summer is alright... get to go out, swim and do other things... The winter is just *shrugs* I dunno, a lazy season I guess cause its too cold to go out and do anything...

In the summer, to stay cool I usually keep a nice frozen 40oz plastic bottle of water near me unless of course you're like my sister Tiger and chuck it at someone's forhead... and fear the damn bottle but eh.. that and cold showers dont really help... take a hot one then when you get out your body is forced to cool itself... like the theory of opposites attracting it works that way too...

Berserker
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:15 AM
I love the summer, man! :laugh:

Have you tried sleeping with wet socks on? Normally if your feet are cold your whole body cools down. Or maybe just a wet towle at your footend of the bed? When it gets real hot here, we usually just sit outside till it cools down enough inside the house and then go to bed. So on hot days/periods everybody sits outside till way after midnight it's really cool actually. Everywhere people outside having a drink and a laugh... :love:

Phenom
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:35 AM
The only thing I can suggest is getting a water spray.. that's what I have..mine is what my dad used to put window cleaner in for his old business...it's an unused one that we have left over..but something like that and fill it with cold water and spray it up and the wonderfully cold sprinke of water that lands on your face/back etc is sooo nice! especially if you have your fan on you..that makes it even colder!
Thats what I do because the water spray doesn't cost any money to run!
I'll grab an old windex bottle and rinse it out, and drown my face with it ^^.

okay heres how you do it man. Move into your basement... the cold usually is nice down there.. thast what i did... i have the hottest room in my house... so i live in my basement... for now anyways... and if that doesnt work.. genetically alter yourself to have gills and live underwater.
XD Unfortunately the basement is occupied by an older sibling. Perhaps I could kick his ass and take it from him. (That'll be the day. I'd get creamed.... but I'll atleast get in a good 3-hit combination ^_^)

I hate the summer. I hate it. I have very low tolerance for heat, meaning that when it gets too hot for me to handle it, I usually start feeling annoyed and exasperated. Plus, my eyes are sensitive to bright lighting. Can you image having to deal with the ramrod of bright light every day? Argh! Thus, I think the summer is just a load of crap. Besides, I don't like to wear shorts or short skirts with little tube tops. Eesh. That would be an abomination, I swear. Everything, everything goes wrong in the summer!
We're alike. I get very pissed off when it's hot. (I cannot take 85 degrees) I take my anger out on things around the house. (my walls)

I can imagine the bright lights, but I don't put up with it. My shades usually stay closed. (you can say I'm a vampire so to speak. Stay in doors in the day and go out at night)

About you wearing shorts, skirts, and tube tops.. =D
For real though, all I can really do is laugh "That would be an abomination, I swear." That's funny XD

I agree about things going wrong in the summer. For the past 4 years, you could say I haven't had a happy birthday due to something stupid. Birthday is Aug 30 btw. (lights go out, someone goes to the hospital, just something very crappy)

So, what do I do? Because like your room, my room is also a mini greenhouse, I find it next to impossible to fall asleep at night. And also like you, these past few days I've been getting little sleep, which sucks majorly considering that I have school at 7 in the morning.
I find this harder on you than myself since I'm laid off at the moment. But I am trying to get back in the habit of getting atleast 5-6 hours of sleep since I start classes Aug 13.

Taking a cold (meaning - just turn on the faucet labeled "C"), shower or bath right before going to bed is good too. And so is sleeping with fresh clothing, such as clothes made out of linen or cotton, keeping in mind that they should be big and comfy to let the coolness run through the body.
The average male takes 1 shower a day or something like that right? I take 3 showers a day. (I sweat alot, and besides, they feel good) I should start taking showers every hour on the hour.

Let's not discuss what I've been sleeping in for that past few nights. XD

Have you thought about buying a portable air conditioner? They are not very bulgy and there are some that are pretty inexpensive (and also energy-saving ACs to save you some cash on that electricity biil). There are also less expensive products such as air coolers, which you can place atop a desk or the likes, and also window ventilators, which are placed on your windowsill. I have seen some really big ones, so I'm sure you can find some for your huge windows! : D Or you could just taint your windows...
Yes, I just found out that my local sears are selling them. I haven't thought about the others. I did have a dehumidifier, but if you ask me I would call it a humidifier because it did nothing but heat up my room even more, and pissed me off. >=(

Do you have a pool? If you do, you might want to consider making that your own personal water bed. *nod*
Unfortunately no pool. If I did have one I would drown (literally) because I would go to sleep in the water. =) (probably under)

i keep the blinds and the window closed all day long, a dark room is always colder, and i open it when it gets dark and keep both, blinds and window, open during the whole night and part of the morning, that makes the heat to leave the room, and it helps to make it colder. And on the days that fails which happens like once a week, a cold shower or a swimm it's always a good one.
I use to do this, but not the window closing part. I'll try this tactic also.

I like summer but it takes me ages to adjust to the heat. I'd prefer winter but winter seriously messes up my sleeping patterns and I become somewhat nocturnal. Besides, it's nice to be able to sit outside I guess.
[font=times]I am a winter person as well. Only thing I hate about winter is when my car breaks down and I have to either stand there and wait for a ride, catch a bus, or walk during a blizzard.

In the summer, to stay cool I usually keep a nice frozen 40oz plastic bottle of water near me unless of course you're like my sister Tiger and chuck it at someone's forhead... and fear the damn bottle but eh.. that and cold showers dont really help... take a hot one then when you get out your body is forced to cool itself... like the theory of opposites attracting it works that way too...
XD I am a mean person. (sort of) Depending on if the heat pissed me off well enough I will launch a full bottle at someones head or even eye if pushed in the wrong direction. =)

Edit: Sucks that I had to disable/replace my smilies.
@berserker - We're ususally bored when we go outside. People around here think they're too old and cute to have a water fight. (poo on them)

Infernal Mass
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:11 AM
instead of the fans air positioned directly towards you, try putting them on rotation mode so that the air circulates around the room.

Berserker
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Position them high pointing down, so that they blow the hot air down and thus cooling it.

dan da man
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Summer is a God's gift in Manchester, we get so much rain im happy when we get sunshine and its boiling, everyones out having a good time and the girls dress sexy lol, other than that I hate spiders and it seems theres alot of those gits about when its hot the days are much longer, so when you goto work its not dark and when you leave work its not dark, in the winter when all you see is dark 24/7 is dperessing, summer rocks imo. :)

Phenom
Jul 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
instead of the fans air positioned directly towards you, try putting them on rotation mode so that the air circulates around the room.
Unfortunately, I only have 1 fan that rotates, and that fan sucks. In my room you might as well say that fan isn't blowing out air at all. (I don't feel any type of air what so ever) The other fan is a high-powered fan that sits down... "shrugs"