PDA

View Full Version : Mads Look- War of the Worlds

MADRUCKIS
Jun 29th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I really enjoyed Tiny Toons. It was a smart cartoon.....basic in slapstick and yet smart in delivery. One show that stood out in my mind was one that Buster Bunny (the blue one, not the pink one which was Babs Bunny...no relation) holds a snow globe and sings about the breakdown of life-starting from the cells of germs to the infinites of space. Basically though, the song makes you feel like shit.....Monty Pythons 'Meaning of Life' did one before them and that made you feel even worse. Logically though, it could be that we're just small specs within some giant beings snow globe somehow and that there are more dominant creatures than us living within the small kids toy.
Those beings come to light in 'War of the Worlds', the feel good movie of the summer. I mean..... the "humanity is livestock" movie of the summer. Spieldberg and Cruise deliver a disaster movie with all the traits of a disaster movie:
body count-check
things go boom-check
people in reckless panic and so much mental stress that they act in completely irrational but still believable ways- check and check
Its easy to see that ol' Spiely (I can call him that, not you) got some of his motivation from 9/11like at first the aliens lie dormant amoung us like "terror cells" waiting for the sign to start. And dont forget the people donating blood, Cruises ash covered face, and certain characters, being so enraged by the wanton destruction and choas, simply demanding to enlist to fight against a 10,000 foot mechanized beast capable of turning people into litterbox sand. FOOOOOWWWARDDD!!!

Cruise is Cruise in this movie while Tim Robbins goes about the movie doing his impression of Cruise while promoting for 'War of the Worlds'. It only takes ten minutes for things to go from bad to worst to worsterer to worserestististssiiitytysessessseiis............um ........-ing
And you know what happens when poo hits the fan, eh? You can turn to a freind and say "Hey, this fan gives off some shitty air!"

nonono....the turmoil

And at the center is the big blue eyed Dakota Fanning. Honestly, she is a great little actress but her recent movies have been nothing but scaring the hell out of this little girl. What the hiz! Some people dont even get the mention she gets in the credits. They just get "Scared little white girl #7" but we get at least an hour of psychological damage onscreen for this 11 year old. Next movie she might be in might involve just her in a box and the audience gets to pick what gets put in there with her.

"Thankyou for your selection....And the audience chooses..........10 of NY's biggest city sewer rats! Enjoy"

The movie "Signs" gave good insight on the human mentality during a moment of complete stress, fear, and disfunction. Spiely does the same here but with alot more CG. He luckily keeps the ending of the original work which was great considering it was the entire purpose of the work itself. The little girl wakes up at the end and realizes shes been dreaming the aliens the entire time.....wow!

Then again, that mightve pissed you off. Well good.....because if it were the ending then this whole thing would be at a loss. No, the ending of the original and the movie are smarter than that although I'm sure many might be upset by it. It wasn't as dramatic a build up leading to it but effective nonetheless.
So 'War of the World' delivers into bringing out the true face of humanity during horrible times....we kill, we steal, we scare Dakota Fanning and then buy the DVD to watch her get scared at home. GOOOD BLESSSS AMMERRRICCCCA

Mads Rating- A

MADRUCKIS
Jun 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
and a quick heads up

a movie si coming out by the name of Cry-Wolf

STAY AWAY FROM IT AT ALL COST

I got in free to see it last year and felt like I wanted a refund :frust:

Pu the Owl
Jul 2nd, 2005, 07:44 AM
I still have to watch it, haven't found enough time to go yet...

I've heard many are boycotting WOTW because of Cruise's behaviour and his blind faith in Scientology...

MADRUCKIS
Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
blind faith?

not that I'm supporting his schmuckery...but isnt blind faith every religion. He opened his mouth and acted like an idiot and now whatever he says gets butchered in the media

the new york newspaper had an article and the title was
"Cruise believes in aliens from another world"

and he states that "If you think that we're alone in this world with the infinite distances and planets in reality, then your mislead" and the paper hung him from his words. But thats what scientists have been saying for the last 10 years. So if a person with a degree says it then its ok but if he agrees with em, hes crazy? :S

he put himself in the position for critisim but why boycott a movie because fo someones belief or how they act in public?

trunks69420
Jul 3rd, 2005, 08:20 AM
blind faith?

not that I'm supporting his schmuckery...but isnt blind faith every religion. He opened his mouth and acted like an idiot and now whatever he says gets butchered in the media

the new york newspaper had an article and the title was
"Cruise believes in aliens from another world"

and he states that "If you think that we're alone in this world with the infinite distances and planets in reality, then your mislead" and the paper hung him from his words. But thats what scientists have been saying for the last 10 years. So if a person with a degree says it then its ok but if he agrees with em, hes crazy? :S

he put himself in the position for critisim but why boycott a movie because fo someones belief or how they act in public?

dude.. you dont understand.. he's tom cruise. he cant say things like that. i mean who in their right mind would believe in aliens!!! i for one will agree and boycott this movie

okay.. that sounds really stupid. i could give a fuck about a celebrity... but seriously.. arent they at least entitled to believe what they want without a bunch of activists lobbying around for something to do??.. i mean honestly.. who pays that close attention just so they can give someone else shit. boo to the idiots. boo to the aliens. boo to ...hang overs.

and i did see this movie.. twice. and i loved it. just cause i like aliens.

DSgamer
Jul 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
tom cruise is so the meng, in fact he's like nicholas cage times 2.

goodman
Jul 3rd, 2005, 07:19 PM
I went to see this Friday late afternoon before going to the Final Fantasy concert here in Fort Worth. Not a bad flick overall, definitely not anything too major, either...

Pu the Owl
Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Went to watch it tonight.

I... well... was disappointed. That wasn't Spielberg. I mean, in spirit. It was the movie of a man who's terrified and has become cynical about things. It's just a movie about terror, fear. It doesn't contain any constructive criticism, a theory... nothing. It's just... a movie that shows the effects of terror and the lack of possibility to really act in certain situations. As I said... coming from another director it could be acceptable, but this is Spielberg! The man of ET, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, AI... Even Jurassic Park was a positive movie with a sort of "moral" compared to this... Even H.G. Wells, who's a pretty inhuman writer if you ask my opinion, is more human when coming to conclusions... Hope Spielberg will be back to his former self when shooting the next movies. For Christ's sake! One of his next movies is Indiana Jones 4! I don't want cynicism in it! We have too much of it in real life already :(

PS: I forgot a minor note... I think Tom Cruise was sort of miscast as the main role of WOTW... He was a lot more convincing in Minority Report. Not that he's THAT bad as an actor, but this maybe isn't exactly his kind of thing. He was good for the action parts, but for all the rest he was too weak and not expressive enough. This is another aspect that made me feel this movie was too cold and lacked some of the usual humanity that is so strong in other Spielberg's movies.

happy_doughnut
Jul 3rd, 2005, 09:33 PM
I saw this movie on Friday. I can't believe I actually had to wait in line. So hot. Eesh.

I wouldn't have minded if the movie had been good, though. Like Pu, I was disappointed, too.

The action sequences were fine and pretty well-acted by part of Cruise, but other than that, he didn't seem convincing enough for his role. At first we saw him as a rather dry character, then he picked up, but in the end, well, he went back to the same dry, flat character. I saw no change in the dynamics of his persona, which really bugged me.

In times such as those, I'm sure we would act the same, and in this sense, the film did a great job. It showed a clear perspective of what we are capable of doing in times of turmoil. Other than that, though, the movie severely lacked in other departments.

Plus, there were quite a few glitches I caught that distracted me from enjoying it.

PS: I wonder if anyone else liked the narration. I didn't. Made me feel kinda dumb to have things "explained" at the end. But then again, when we were exiting, I did hear several people say, "What did the birds do?"

Omg. :sarcasm: