PDA

View Full Version : Smashing Pumpkins to Reform

Faile
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:10 AM
A message to Chicago from Billy Corgan.

Today is a special day in my life as it marks the release of my very first solo album 'TheFutureEmbrace'. For over 17 years I have been proud to represent Chicago as an artist through my words and music, and am continually humbled by the undying love that I have been shown from this city as one of its native sons. I'd like to take this moment to address all that is going on in my musical life, from the new album and the current tour, to the future of The Smashing Pumpkins.

I had the opportunity to record 'TheFutureEmbrace' CD here in Chicago, and its embers bear witness to this town's unique soul. I have done my very best to create something fresh and exciting to listen to, and I hope you get the chance to check it out. Having just returned from a tour of Europe, I am now set to play 18 additional dates in North America, beginning tomorrow in Atlanta. After that we head to Japan, and then Australia and New Zealand for the first time since 1998.

'TheFutureEmbrace' is an album of hope, and represents fully my desire to make music to stand and to fight for. Encouraged by the musical progress of the record, I have already begun writing new songs for a subsequent solo album I hope to start by the end of this year. Plans are still in the works to finish my 'ChicagoSongs' DVD, a group of songs about the city. I'm also in the process of writing my life story on-line, updated almost daily and not so ironically entitled 'The Confessions of Billy Corgan'. It truly has been a creative time for me, with many new revelations.

Many have assumed that the decisions I have made over the last few years have been to try to get away from something. But what I have been really trying to do is find that same kid again, the one who believed he could change the world with a song. There is an old saying that goes "you can't go home again," but I believe that your home is wherever your heart lies.

When I played the final Smashing Pumpkins show on the night of December 2, 2000, I walked off the Metro stage believing that I was forever leaving a place of my life behind. I naively tried to start a new band, but found that my heart wasn't in it. I moved away to pursue a love that I once had but got lost. So I moved back home to heal what was broken in me, and to my surprise I found what I was looking for. I found that my heart is in Chicago, and that my heart is in The Smashing Pumpkins.

For a year now I have walked around with a secret, a secret I chose to keep. But now I want you to be among the first to know what I have made plans to renew and revive The Smashing Pumpkins. I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams. In this desire I feel I have come home again.

'TheFutureEmbrace' represents a new beginning, not an ending. It picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins. I know this city gave me the gift of music, and it is my honor to share this love that I have with you from the bottom of my heart. There is still so much work to do, and as always, so little time!

Rock on and may God bless you!
Billy Corgan

----------

I am stunned and happy and stunned some more. This is the man who I stood next to starstruck just a week ago, a man who is to me the greatest musician to ever grace this world, and the pumpkins are the band that saved my life a hundred million times. This feels like some crazy dream. That band is love and life and everything to me, and just the fact that they are coming back to fucking tear it all up again makes me explode with happiness and want to cry and everything. Oh. xxxxx

trunks69420
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM
this is fantastic news..... just bringing up a point. doesnt it seem like... all the major 90's artists are making a comeback?... and even some older ones... not knocking it in any form.. but it just seems... beck, NIN, SP/BC, it just seems weird to me. oh well.. i like the new beck... of course i love the new NIN, the new corgan album i think is great too... i'm just like... wow.. a lot of my fave's cause i'm a child of the 90's shit.. are comming back and just wondering what everyone elses take on this was.

that is all.

Hylas
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Just pure and simple curiosity: if the band reforms who else will be in it? The original members or new faces? Any info about it?

Faile
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:55 AM
None so far. It's a given that Billy C and Jimmy Chamberlin will return. James Iha is a possible (Corgan has always said that Iha is a Pumpkins). Unlikely that D'arcy will return, but you never know!

MADRUCKIS
Jun 21st, 2005, 08:18 PM
they wont be the same without them

Ive seen the whole "reform band thing" before and see it fall through like a fat person on a dental floss highwire....so I wont celebrate till I'm holding the cd in my hand

he didnt confirm that the other wish to do the same and any person you replace...anyone...will change the sound. Maybe not the vision but the sound

Faile
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Not true. The only remaining founder member of the Cure is Robert Smith, he is the Cure. Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin are the Smashing Pumpkins. Sure, James Iha could play and it would be really really ace, but Corgan is the Pumpkins. He wrote about 95% of their songs. Anyway, the Pumpkins sound has never stayed the same, each album is completely different in terms of sound from the other. It's why Corgan is a genius.

Pu the Owl
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:12 AM
Not sure I think this is good news... An era has ended and the Pumpkins with them. I wouldn't like to see anything completely new regarding their spirit.

Once upon a time... the Pumpkins were special to me, they were special as they were, and my selfish view tells me I could not like a return.

PS: yes, Corgan is the Pumpkins as Smith is the Cure, but Smith has never properly done a solo album or taken part to all the rest of fancy side projects as Corgan. He's always been The Cure, nothing else than this. Corgan is the Pumpkins, but at this point I don't fully get why he needs so badly that name to be it...

Let's see what happens next...

Faile
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:36 PM
I have perhaps blind faith in the man not to let me down, but I do trust Corgan. It's like he said; "The band broke up for the right reasons and now it's getting back together for the right reasons", and that makes me happier and feel more alive than I have in a long long long time, but I'm not sure I could explain why. I lack the words to tap in to it. I feel seventeen again and full of hope and dreams, not tainted by growing older and broken hearts and the like.

MADRUCKIS
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:37 PM
Pan 'splained it better than me :shame:

MADRUCKIS
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:46 PM
I feel seventeen again and full of hope and dreams, not tainted by growing older and broken hearts and the like.

but your not 17 and I think thats my problem

my taste in music has changed so much because I dont have that teenage agnst I had when I first heard Pumpkins...I have middle 20's angst and thats a whole different list of things. Corgan and the lot have grown older too and their sound will change....sure, every Pumpkins album has a new style to it...but I worry that after 5 years, me and that music mightve parted ways or, what might be considered worse, is that me and the Pumpkins mightve grown apart

to be honest while trying to fin some songs for my ipod list, I found the batman and robin soundtrack (please hold your chuckles, I was young and a complete sucker for soundtracks). And I forgot, and quickly remembered, that the Pumpkins had two tracks on it..the first and the last track....nicely named "The begginning is the end of the begginging" and "The end is the beggining of the end" if I recall

two same songs but seem so great in their own right. I hope I havent shed the ears for listening but I also hope that the music makers havent shed the greatness of their music.

Faile
Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:52 PM
My point was that at seventeen I had my dreams of what I could achieve, that it didn't really matter what others thought of me because I knew was right. I've allowed my confidence to be shattered, my image to fade and my body to slip into disrepair. If that's what growing into your twenties is about then I'm afraid I don't want to.
I stood in the crowd at the Pumpkins 'final' UK show in November, 2000, and was moved to take control of my life and my future and fucking live it. It was as close to a spiritual experience as I'll ever have.
I've fallen from that path completely now, but the Smashing Pumpkins were the force that in many respects kept me alive during difficult times. Their music is a daily thing. It's hope and faith for me.

I want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams.
This line is heartbreakingly poignant to me. It sums up how I feel sitting here, somewhat overweight and somewhat faded. Perhaps it's a selfish hope of mine, to only find inspiration in the actions of others, but its significant to my life.

I don't want to see some greatest hits tour for the money, and I'm certain we will not get one. I want to see Corgan rocking again under the banner of the Pumpkins with one of the best back catalogues behind him. If New Order managed it after so many splits then I have utter confidence that the new Pumpkins will continue to destroy and rebuild as they always did. The band will be older, but that's no hinderence. They'll move however they want as they always did.

I was twelve when I feel in love with Tonight Tonight and Mellon Collie. It's a long way back, but we all need things to give us hope and faith for the future.

"believe in me"

happy_doughnut
Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:30 AM
Oh... wow... When I read Faile's first post, I was completely speechless! Omg, I'm so happy!

I must say that I agree with Faile on this one. To me, music is a very special thing. I listen to a lot of different kinds, but there is only a special type that really hits home.

In fact, there are only a few bands that I listen to on a daily basis, and the Smashing Pumpkins are one of those few. Actually, no. They are on a whole other level - this band is something that I must listen to everyday, whether it be day or night, whether I am happy or sad. They are just vital to my daily life.

It's been quite a while since I first began to listen to the Pumpkins. When I did, I immediately feel in love with them. It wasn't because I was angsty, though. In fact, they are not the band I go to when I'm feeling angry because I don't feel they satisfy that particular type of thirst.

To me, they are they type of band you can connect to. So many times I have been so distressed beyond words and I have found that when my words do not suffice, the words of this band does. Since I first heard the song "Tonight, Tonight" I have always loved it. It is my favorite song and I am quite sure it will always be. This song says so much to me, but that I love the most is that is gives me this transcending feeling of confidence. Confidence to accept what is happening and to believe that everything can change and be better. This song is so special to me, and so are many others.

Everyday I play their songs. I listen to them when I am happy because they fortify my happiness, and I listen to them when I am sad and confused because they give me hope and assurance like no one else can.

It's strange, I know. It sounds like a lot for a single band to do. But this is because the Pumpkins are more than a band... they are that bit of shinning hope we all need from time to time.

They are to me, at least. And to think that they will reunite to create once more the very music that has helped me by the bundles through many of life's torrents is more than enough reason to be overwhelmingly joyous.

It's true that they won't sound the same, but they never did. But in a way it's not about the sound they transmit, but the feeling they project. And well, as long as Corgan is at the founding platform of them, they will always be the Smashing Pumpkins. They will always be what helps many through the days.

(I am SO happy to hear this, btw. :D)

Daniel Legge
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I think this is a good thing. Im still young but music is a very important part of life for me. Music in general has the ability to make anyone feel a certain way. When i was growing up at high school listening to such bands they helped me when i had problems or doubted myself as a person. Don't get me wrong i had a great childhood loved every minute of it. However bands such as The Smashing Pumpkins dont come around very often, for one the music was just absolutly stunning but also the messages they gave helped me in difficult times. As happy_doughnut said they seemed to have the words i couldnt find.

Have to be one of my favourite bands of all time.

:)

Faile
Jun 28th, 2005, 05:59 PM
New album being recorded next year. YES. A NEW SMASHING PUMPKINS ALBUM.
Jimmy Chamberlin is definitely back within the group.
Second Corgan solo album will be released at the end of this year along with a dvd.
The door is open for James Iha to return to the Pumpkins fold if he likes.
D'arcy too.
Ideally (in Corgan's words) it will be the original four.

xx

Redpyramidhead
Jul 12th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I am looking forward to this. More comments later...

_RED_ stuff

Redpyramidhead
Jul 16th, 2005, 12:22 AM
This should truly be interesting. Smashing Pumkins reformed and ready to rock again in the near future. I dont know about you cynics, but I think this is just what we need much in the same way Audioslave or A Perfect Circle is refreshing for a guy like myself who loved 90's alternative to hear a perfect hybrid like its meant to be done now in the 2000's. It's still got that old incredibly nostalgaic flavor but its still new and fresh and modern. Could this be what the new Smashing Pumpkins will sound like? There's really no way to know yet, but listening to the way Billy Corgan speaks of it, as if it is still completely fresh to him and where he feels he belongs, then I dont think we will be dissapointed.

As for teenage angst? Pumpkins weren't just all about teenage angst. Its a way of interpreting the feel of the song and how you enjoy it when you listen to it based on your state of mind in that particular time of your life. I often find going back and listening to some of my old favorite bands I find myself hearing the songs in a whole new way based on the way I interpret thing in my twenties. As opposed to depressing, a lot of the songs sound more full of some energized thirst for life now while shedding the skin of depressing environments they may have originally been more conducive to when I was younger. I am older and more experienced now and realize that life does not have to be all doom and gloom, even though I may love the sound of it in a song, but a shout from the depths of one seeking life in melodic genius in a unique alternative rock voice is much more exhilerating than a pathetic whimper. This is why bands like Korn have failed to stay fresh and will dissapear soon if we can help it.

With all things said, right now is probably the perfect time for the Smashing Pumpkins to come back. Let's see where it helps take us all musically.

_RED_ stuff