PDA

View Full Version : Revenge of the Sith

trunks69420
Apr 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Okay... i know its a little early... well not really.. Star Wars Episode III is comming out on May 19th.. and i honestly cant wait. I was interested to see what everyone else thought of this upcoming movie... and if you maybe thought it would suck cause of lucas's lackluster deliveries recently.... personally.. i wasnt the happiest with ep II.. but so far III is looking to blow me away... and i'm very excited.. so much so that i have pissed my pants.

so yeah.. post your opinions.. rantings... ravings... whatever.. peace

Star Wars Theater Trailer (http://pdl.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2004/lucasfilm/hyperspace/rednalob_480_r_dl.mov)

kupoartist
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Jar Jar Binks is still alive. This is a situation that needs to be rectified immediatly. You know what my first objection was to the Coallition's Iraq war? Why are we dethroning Saddam Hussein when Jar Jar Binks, the most heinious War Criminal in the history of ever is still at large?

If Episode III includes at least 10 minutes of Jar Jar Binks being subjected to the most agonising torture possible, Episode III will be saved from becoming the 3rd lesson in well below average "OMG CGI Animation is TEH COOLIES!" Film Making.

My biggest worry aside from the potential lack of Jar Jar's demise, will be that Star Wars is now officially the film equivilent of UK TV's Soap Operas. Crap acting, contrived, boring and totally pathetic romance and plot lines that are revealed in the gutter press before the film is released. Actually, in that respect Episode III is even worse: I knew how Darth Vader was going to be "born" even before I watched the original trilogy about 5 years ago.

Star Wars is all about selling me toys that I'm never going to buy anyway. The "new trilogy" was made for kids, no two ways about it. No, wait a minute, "it's darker than the last two!" they exclaim. In the world of film publicity, "Darker" is officially now synonmous with saying "We promise it's not quite as bad as the last film". Little to do with being less Kiddy.

Jar Jar Binks is still at large.

Expect reviews along the lines of "Better than the last two", but remember that ingesting your own arm is more entertaining than watching Episodes 1 or 2 a second time. There are far better things you could be doing with your time, but then, there always is...

And BTW. I will see it ^^

Dactrius
Apr 28th, 2005, 11:46 AM
I gotta agree with the moogle on this one. Promise us a Star Wars film like the last two and you'll get the attention of the fanboys and maybe one or two deaf people. Now, promise us an agonising torture for Jar Jar Binks, that lasts a whopping three hours and comes with various camera angles and slow motion effects on the DVD release, and you'll have packed cinemas across the nation, nay... the WORLD! The Gungan must die, the people demand it! :arrr:

I too will watch it. Please let Jar Jar perish.

MADRUCKIS
Apr 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
6 lightsaber battles

im listening now :laugh:

Faile
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Kevin Smith's review has got me excited for the new film. It's pretty dark, and by dark we're in the realms of Mahler's "Songs on the death of children".
And jesus, you think jar jar binks is bad? Not by the standards of the fucking ewoks. God, I can't watch Jedi past Endor.

kupoartist
Apr 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Kevin Smith's review has got me excited for the new film. It's pretty dark, and by dark we're in the realms of Mahler's "Songs on the death of children".
And jesus, you think jar jar binks is bad? Not by the standards of the fucking ewoks. God, I can't watch Jedi past Endor.
Ewoks were annoying, but at the end of the day they're little people in teddy-bear suits and Jar Jar Binks is a poorly animated, irritatingly VAed, totally unfunny and completely Ugly character with as much warmth as a Siberian Ice-Cream factory. Surely, Ewoks are hateful creatures, but they hardly talk and would be kind of nice to cuddle. For that they live... but Binks is a fiend.

Redpyramidhead
May 2nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
How can one not like the Ewoks?! And the Ewok city up in the trees? You can't beat that! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

_RED_ stuff

Redpyramidhead
May 3rd, 2005, 09:59 AM
Well, I saw a very quick trailer on tv this morning. Were my eyes decieving me or was that a pg-13 rating I saw? I am not implying that this would automatically make the movie would be better in anyway (duh,) but possibly this "darker than the previous two" theory starts to sound a little less like a bullshit claim, with such a rating? Well, it remains to be seen.

_RED_ stuff

Faile
May 19th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Well, I'm off to see it now. Report when I get back!

TtTackler
May 19th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Worthy of the original trilogy. Lucas hath redeemed himself. Very good.

Faile
May 19th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Brilliant. The more I think about it, the more I enjoyed it. The more I think about it, the more the first two make more sense and I suspect I'd enjoy them more too now.

kupoartist
May 19th, 2005, 03:07 PM
The more I think about it, the more the first two make more sense and I suspect I'd enjoy them more too now.
You mean Jar Jar Binks is revealed to be the real Sith Master and that his abject irritatingness is just a cunning dark force trick designed to make the Jedis commit suicide?

Or do you mean that it is explained that the terrible love story scenes from the second movie were actually a clever ruse thought up by the Jedis to make the Sith fall asleep in the audience?

Because it would take the single best movie ever to in any way justify Episodes 1 and 2 :)

Faile
May 19th, 2005, 03:46 PM
No, what I meant was that the first film is lovely, bright and colourful. The second film is rather more washed out but with elements of bright colours and rolling landscapes. Episode three is dark and shadowy and downbeat. I appreciate the visual themes.
People should stop being hung up on Jar Jar Binks. I mean, he's a side plot in Episode one and has lacked a role since. He's just a mean for people to have a go at Lucas. Episode three, sadly for those people, is ace.

kupoartist
May 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM
People should stop being hung up on Jar Jar Binks. I mean, he's a side plot in Episode one and has lacked a role since.
I think he really stretched the boundaries of "side plot". That guy was there for 75% of the movie - that probably makes him the most obtrusive "side plot" ever made. Not one event was left unpunctuated by the pungent stench of his presence, nor the nails-on-chalkboard sound of his dialogue.

I don't give a crap about Lucas' achievements then or now. Jar Jar Binks stole my sanity. Episode 1 is simply a bad film made insanely unwatchable by a dire character. Episode 2 is an ok film made mediocre by a lengthy, uninteresting and amateurish love story. At least it didn't have Jar Jar ^^

As for your evaluation of colour schemes in the new trilogy, you're probably right. You wouldn't find me being quite so romantic over two films that I hold to have no artistic merit whatsoever. Overblown Sci-Fi extravaganzas. CGI is the devil. ^^

Faile
May 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Come on! Jar Jar isn't that bad! You're so overreacting! And he's responsible for the beginning of the dictatorship in Clones. You have to appreciate Lucas' humour there.

kupoartist
May 19th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Come on! Jar Jar isn't that bad! You're so overreacting!
No believe me. Jar Jar is the root of all evil. Poverty, War, Drought - all these things can be traced back to his appearance in Episode 1.

Faile
May 19th, 2005, 05:20 PM
No! I blame the ewoks!

Then again, I love the line in (the TV show) Spaced; "Jar Jar makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!"

kupoartist
May 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
No! I blame the ewoks!

Then again, I love the line in (the TV show) Spaced; "Jar Jar makes the Ewoks look like fucking Shaft!"
lol... classic line ^^. Personally, I didn't mind the Ewoks so much... sure they're irritating kiddy filler that turns the whole realism upside down (destroying bipedal robots with a large log? Rightee....), but at least they're cuddly. Jar Jar wasn't even cute on some level, and all I ask for is cuteness...

goodman
May 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Excellent flick, btw, i got back about an hour or so ago, wraps up pretty much any loose ends and or questions one may have had about the original first three movies roots. I give it a big thumbs up, for sure, the best of the three prequels by far imo...

jjmoohead
May 20th, 2005, 01:15 AM
yes just got home too, and i was really impressed. I do however feel that some of it carried on to long ie fight sceens. However, very impressed. Thats comming from a guy who is a not a big fan of starwars.

Vic Viper
May 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM
do you guys think its better than episode 4,5,6 ? :smirk:

damn i really need to see this movie.. :shy:

goodman
May 20th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah no one would say 4 and 5 are better, really, and its #6 so yes its better. Mainly because it brings us back to some of the original characters we went through adventures with in the early times and there is a lot of action and fun. Episode 1 was a letdown to me after seeing the first three movies, episode 2 was a noticeable improvement, and this is very much a noticeable improvement over the other two, so go find out, not that hard to do, really...

jjmoohead
May 20th, 2005, 03:13 PM
im presoanlly excited to watch episodes 4, 5 and 6 now. You see I have the advantage in my mind. I never truely watched the orginal star wars movies. I mean i know i have seen all 3 of them, but I couldnt tell you what happens in each on really. So now that I have seen the first 3 now, watching the orginal 3 will be exciting.

goodman
May 20th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Ive seen the original Star Wars probably 5 times, first time was in 77 when it released, and others were on tv or the revised edition about eight years ago they were promoting. The second ive seen probably six times, and the third, oh probably five times im guessing. I havent seen any of the other movies more than once if that tells you anything, but i will probably see episode 3 again sometime because i liked it...

Faile
May 20th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I went back and saw it again tonight. The more I thought about it last night, the more affecting I found it. It really is a descent into darkness and is actually (perhaps shockingly) quite sad, perhaps poignant. It's also mildly political and comments on some more recent events, which I always appreciate. I don't know, I really enjoyed it. More so the second time, even.

goodman
May 20th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Largest box office take in the history of movies on opening day, says a lot about how many wanted to see it, for sure...

MADRUCKIS
May 21st, 2005, 10:27 AM
While writing a chapter of my book about a year ago, I was in full ‘mental momentum’-writing chapter after chapter in blurs like nobodys business. I then wrote the line:

‘He had heard stories about them: boys with amazing speed and girls that can walk through walls.’

I looked at the line and tried to write more but my hand refused-it refused to allow me to continue after such an extremely horribly written line. I couldn’t continue the chapter and then, ultimately, had to scrap the entire chapter it was written in for a better approach. That one line killed my whole great idea, forcing me back to the drawing…er….writing board; It is a place where I hope to see Lucas go after watching Revenge of the Sith last night.
The movie was rolling on very little momentum. Attack of Clones was weak (save for the last fight) and it’s a shame, since Lucas had the perfect formula. ‘Empire Strikes Back’ is one of my favorite movies of all time because it ended with a lot of things that had went wrong-the hero was beaten, Solo was taken, and the Empire looked unstoppable. But I guess I enjoyed ‘Empire…’ so much because “Return of the Jedi” followed and tied up the loose ends in great fashion. ‘Revenge…’ was such a big let down because after all these years, 20 plus lawd jesus, Lucas doesn’t seem to be able to get anything from his writing. The theater watching your movie is not supposed to laugh when you’re not making a joke, Mr. Lucas. But damn, he had some great lines (great going down from 0).
‘My heart is breaking!’
‘Hold me.’
I blamed the stupid acting for the ridiculous scene where they frolic and fall in love in ep II. But this movie showed what really was wrong. Someone delivers the line:
‘She is perfectly healthy but we are still losing her. She has lost the will to live.’
The great part of that scene was that it was said by a robot, proving that acting has nothing to do with it. Portman and Hayden (even Sam Jackson himself) seemed to force lines (force get it? No….awwww). In Sin City, a line like that would be laughed at but excepted like the gritty comic its supposed to be. They don’t belong in a movie that’s supposed to be taking a jab at Bush and his politics
(did anyone get that? Empire runned by a man who shouldn’t have gotten an extension in his time in office during a war that he started only for his personal gain. Mindless clones who do his bidding instantly and turn on the people who want to end the war for good.)
The movie is visually great, like its supposed to be and its much more brutal than the other movies of the series. But tiny holes in the plot (Yoda can feel people dying thousands of miles away, but Obi Won can’t sense there are two twins in a womans’ belly who can also use the force?) only give way to bigger ones when its not believable. The writing seemed to get worse since the first…or last three….came out in the 10-80’s but how is that possible? I spent about 2 hours of waiting in the cold outside just to get in the theater, 2 hours of sitting in a weak movie, and 2 hours of getting home afterwards. It took me less than 6 hours to rewrite that horrible chapter I wrote and to undo my mistake. But Lucas couldn’t do anything within a 6 year span to wrap this up nicely.
The movie is probably one of the best of the first three episodes but with a script written in crayon, it was not worth the hype.

goodman
May 21st, 2005, 12:56 PM
Excellent points, as one would expect, Mad. I definitely didnt go away from the movie awed, just felt something, unlike the previous two. Im looking forward to the summer movie season, between War of the Worlds, Fantastic Four and some of the other coming flicks i think it should be a decent summer. I considered this to be a tee off to the summer campaign...

Redpyramidhead
May 23rd, 2005, 12:04 AM
Madruckis, I disagree with you completely. To me, this was the prequel that redeemed all previous mistakes in the first two. I would go so far as to say I found this movie to be surreal in parts and completely and totally uncanny in its ability to recapture the feel of the original star wars movies that I loved so much growing up. It was nostalgaic while somehow creating a new nostalgia that I know I will feel years from now someday when I see Revenge of the Sith again. This is indeed a dark movie. The darkest of all of them, and it had to be. Maybe I'm evil... cuz I was wallowing in sick lust for all of the horrible things that happened... feeling like the very dark side of the force was seducing me... to me that is proof of a job well done... thats what the goal was... I also cried inside... tears almost flowed... thank you George Lucas for redeeming yourself and ending this mindblowing saga properly! I give two thumbs up... cuz I can... cuz I have two of them!

_RED_ stuff

Chara
May 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM
I think he really stretched the boundaries of "side plot". That guy was there for 75% of the movie - that probably makes him the most obtrusive "side plot" ever made. Not one event was left unpunctuated by the pungent stench of his presence, nor the nails-on-chalkboard sound of his dialogue.

Heh... wow that is harsh. :shock:

I didnt think Jar Jar was really that bad... I hated him more in Episode II because that guy really has no business being on the senate. When he was supposed to be giving his serious speech to the senate, or whatever, I just bust out in laughter... loudly.

But yea, I liked episode III. The acting was horrible at times (you can not say the part where Vader yelled "NOOOO!" was not funny. I kinda half-expected him to say "Curses foiled again!" and twirl his moustache after that), and I didnt like it when...

Order 66 was executed and the jedi put up no fight at all. Lucas said the jedi were not going to go down easily... but, wtf, they went down in like 2 seconds. How were these jedi masters not able to sense something was amiss and prevent themselves from getting shot down? Also, a jedi getting shot down by blaster fire, wtf? That one dude who tried to deflect the blaster fire looked like he hasnt touched a lightsaber in his life and was just waving it around. How could a younger jedi master, obi-wan, be able to run away from an entire army, while these older jedi masters get shot down by a few clones? I didnt like how that was played out at all.

Also Chewbacca had no business being in that movie... at all. I suppose he was just put there so people could be like "OMG, its chewie!"

Faile
May 23rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
I think it's rather harsh to criticise the writing in Star Wars. It's not meant to be brilliantly scripted, Lucas' inspiration was the serial adventure comics of his youth, a genre not known for its brilliant writing. These are adventure stories! More action, less acting. I think Star Wars succeeds at what it should, people just expect more because of the effect that popular culture holds over us all.

Redpyramidhead
May 23rd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Heh... wow that is harsh. :shock:

Also Chewbacca had no business being in that movie... at all. I suppose he was just put there so people could be like "OMG, its chewie!"

Ok, first of all... what would you have rather Vader had said?

And second of all, what the hell is wrong with chewbacca being in the movie?!? NOTHING. He had every business being in the movie. It's Chewbacca!

_RED_ stuff

Chara
May 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM
Haha, I'm fine with what he said, it was just the way that was acted out. They really could've done a retake of that.

But ah, I really am nitpicking. It was a good movie. ^_^

MADRUCKIS
May 23rd, 2005, 06:03 PM
that really was some really cheesy crap

and I wrote really twice in the last sentence to really amplify the suckiness, really.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO*COUGH*OOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO

and the whole room shakes

like a bad snl sketch

and I disagree with you Faile. The first three were the most imaginative works of film during my lifetime...plain period. How many cheesy lines were in the original three? many.....but for some reason they were all memorable, as if the movie wouldnt be the same without em. "Let the Wookie win." alone beats any of the lines said in ep III. The writing is supposed to the story, its details that cant be portrayed by someone simply lopping off anothers head.
I swear, my whole theater was laughing at every single Padame/Anakin talk. not just chuckling......LOL'ing
it totally draws away from the action, too distracting when you stop caring about your characters

and yea Red, dont get me wrong. This was the best out of the prequals but it no way comes close to 'Empire' or 'Return'. No matter what, maybe because I was just a kid when I watched it but even when I see it now...I cared about those characters. Solo being frozen, Lukes' realization that he had been fighting his father. All of that is totally cinema without having to distract things with shoddy character development and plot holes

and heres my last point, one that proves that I'm not the only person who feels the same way

I spent my weekend trying to buy the star wars box set, traveled all around the city. Ive been to 7 retailers and all are sold out. Meanwhile, theyre practically giving away dvds of ep I and II. $6.99 each if you buy two, their shelves overflowing with em collecting dust. I wont be able to get the boxy until mid june they say if I dont buy it online
ep III did rekindle my love of the first three, I'll give it that

DragonSphere
May 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
yea i have to agree with that whole Vader thing. . . hell i literally had to turn away when he said it, lol. But other then that, Revenge of the Sith was awesome and made me appreciate the whole story arc a lot more.

trunks69420
May 30th, 2005, 04:07 AM
i went to the 12:01 showing... i just never wrote about it.. damn good movie.. i liked it a lot... somewhat cheesy in some parts.. but overall.. good flick. definitely better than eps I & II... a lot better.. as per the triliogy.. i cant judge that. its a classic.. it cant be compared in my opinion... but thats just me... done.

Keyblade Master
May 30th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Damn! Need to see Movie...
Regret Playing video game first.... :shame:

Soul Angel
Jun 2nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
I just saw the movie last night and I thought it was pretty good and worth seeing imo.
It tied up some of the lose ends very nicely as well.

MADRUCKIS
Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:40 AM
mhmm

speakin of loose ends, I saw eps 4-6 again and in ep 5, Obi tells Luke:

"Go to Dagoba and seek out Yoda. He was the one who taught me."

Yoda didnt teach Obi, ep I said Qui-Gon was Obis' Master :S

Uchiha Sasuke
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:33 AM
mhmm

speakin of loose ends, I saw eps 4-6 again and in ep 5, Obi tells Luke:

"Go to Dagoba and seek out Yoda. He was the one who taught me."

Yoda didnt teach Obi, ep I said Qui-Gon was Obis' Master :S

Another correction. Yoda did have training for Obi-Won. At the end of episode three he tells him about a way to become one with the force. That may be what he was referring to.

MADRUCKIS
Jun 4th, 2005, 12:11 AM
naw that doesnt work

I thought about that but it doesnt fit. He sends luke for jedi training...not to learn what Yoda taught him. The tone of what Obi said was more like "go see the one who taught me"

it was too obvious

and the fact that all the storm troopers had different voices and didnt speak with british accents like Jango Fett is a dead giveaway Lucas thought of that late or something

DragonSphere
Jun 4th, 2005, 02:54 PM
but all the stormtroopers arent necessarily clones anymore. . . i remember reading a article where Lucas said somethn about how the Empire came to have enlistements as well since the clones weren't really cost-effective, which explains the imperial officers in the gray-uniforms throughout eps 3 to 6.

kupoartist
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Oh Maddox, when will you learn! (naughty language ahead!) (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3)

MADRUCKIS
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM
wow

beat my writing easily, with or without curses

and Jar Jar did have a speaking line didnt he "Scuse me." I believe

Behold! I am angry! Note my furrowed brows. Furrowed because I'm ANGRY! GRR

LMAO bravo

Harry
Jun 8th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Haha, I thank god I lived long enough to watch Episode III! Really, I grew up with Star Wars, watched each movie of the original saga dozens of times, and I am just happy to have finally seen this movie. I loved Episode I, I think Episode II is one of the most beautiful movies of the series - more subtle and delicate than any other episode - and this final movie is just... Star Wars. The exact moment you see Obi Wan figure coming out of the ship, before the final battle, I felt everything, all the emotions I had watching past movies, came together.

And while I did not exactly love Jar-Jar (but I did not hate him at all), I will never understand how people can hate Ewoks! THEY are the ones who destroyed the Empire, in the end, and they are cuddly teddy bears with killer instincts, when needed. What's not to love about them? Guess it's the all too common "size does matter" issue... never heard anybody complaining about wookies!