PDA

View Full Version : WHY!!!

Cannibal Clown
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:33 PM
I'm always having arguments with SSSnake about why DBZ isn't the greatest anime of all time, and why I feel that there are others that I think are better. We end up comming to a draw with each of us saying that the anime that we like best is the greatest and that's that.

I'd like everyone to state their absolute favorite anime. Only one. And along with that, I want you to say why you like it so much. What makes it so much beter than all of the others. Plot, Character development, Animation and drawing quality, Story line, fight scenes, drama, comedy, or suprize twists.

Say your favorite and then why. And you may only say one.

This will help me find out why some of you like the animes you like, and maybe learn something cool about an anime that you thought was retarded.

I'll post my favorite later, and the stats and all. And just because of what I say about DBZ, don't be discouraged to post that as your fav, just tell me why, and please, I'd like everyone to also say something that they think could be inproved with the anime. Just to show me that you put actual thought to your answer.

Reid
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:48 PM
I have way too many favourites, but I think right now it would probably be FLCL ( Furi Kuri ) , beating out my old favourite, Cowboy Bebop (at least for the time being).

I really like it for a bunch of reasons.

First, the animation is really unique, stylistic, and clean. It's all done digitally but it doesn't really looks overly digital (if you follow me). The character design is great, and the animation is really fluid and innovative (in the first and last OVA, the transition to manga panels is incredibly well done).

The plot is also really great. It's different from any other anime out right now, for sure. Some people hate it because it's so strange, or hard to follow, but I like it for just that reason. It toys with the whole genre and keeps you engaged with the characters throughout the whole story. Naota is a great character, because he's so realistic. The homeless girl, Mamimi is also excellent, as she is believable and envokes emotion, as she is tragic and quite lonely. Haruko is interesting too. The things she does in the show keep it really intersting. Also the minor characters and how they appear (TV Boy, etc.) are good for the storyline.

The comedy in the show is great, and just absurd enough that it doesn't seem stupid, and the dramatic parts are well done.

Hmm . . . that's all I can say I think.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 06:53 PM
I saw cannibal precious Cowboy bebop and i thought it was pretty boring.DBZ had much better plot and character development.But this im my opinion others may think different

Reid
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Well, you have to watch all of Cowboy Bebop to really see the characters develop.

It's really good once you get deeper into it.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:11 PM
I'm not saying its all bad i watched about 4 episodes and there wasnt enough stuff going on.Im the type that thrives for action.Thats why my 2 favorite anime series are gundam wing and dbz because they always have something happening.But yeah cowboy bebop isnt bad,by no means i just don't think its for me

Rei
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:16 PM
About DBZ: SSSnake, let me say there isn't much to develop in that anime. Recurring aspects, both for plot and characters and also always the same situations....DBZ is the most commercial anime series I've ever watched and also it's aimed to a younger audience than the one of more mature anime series like Cowboy Bebop. DBZ is a serial product made only to please the audience and there isn't much invention in it after the first part of the series.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Ok just because dbz is on cartoon network doesnt mean its for kids.I dont know what you mean be recurring plots because thats new to me and how much of the series have you watched.To enjoy dbz you should watch from the beginning.Anyways i agree with some things you say and disagree with others.

Rei
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:29 PM
With younger audience i mean the themes and subjects contained in that anime are not much complex and deep as the ones contained in more mature anime series.
Mainly people who like DBZ are younger than the ones who like other anime, that's also why I'm telling it's for younger audience.
I've watched all DB series (DB, DBZ, DB Gt) so I know what I'm talking about, and I found it very repetitive and boring after some episodes. It lacks of invention IMO. They always repeat the same things and it's frustrating for someone who wants more from an anime series. If it's new for you, it's better for you to watch the whole thing before saying it's more impressive than Cowboy Bebop, which has an amazing story, amazing and realistic characters, excellent atmosphere and moving situations, not forgetting the great soundtrack. ;)

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Like i said before i saw Cowboy bebop and it was enough for me.I did not like it period.Very boring i thought.As for dbz think what you must.I like you dont have to ,ok.Your not changing my mind.So you made your points,now let other post there viewpoints on the thread.

merylsilverburg
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Argh! This is a tough one. I'm having a dilemna whether to say Rurouni Kenshin or Fruits Basket. They're both so good! Well...Rurouni Kenshin would have to be my all time fav. but as for right now...I would have to say Fruits Basket is. The characters are well-developed; the main character, Honda Tohru, is the core of the Sohma family who she's living with. She's not an airhead, but she can be ditzy at times. This anime shows the progression of the characters as they go from being lonely and shut out from the world, to being open and more cheerful because of her. It's really a shoujo, but there are not so many "lovey-dovey" parts, because the main conflict is about lonliness and the Sohma's family with their Jyunnishi problem and the Sohma clan leader, Akito-san. This is a slight light-hearted anime, but there are plently of emotional parts as well. It's not entirely action-based, there are the occasional martial arts fights between Yuki and Kyo, but that slowly dies down because of Tohru. So you won't be seeing guns, killing, nothing like that. I'm not sure how to describe it fully....this anime is something you'll have to watch for yourself in order to judge it. I, personally, love it to death because I enjoy watching these types of anime that doesn't involve action at every corner. Not saying I don't like action, but this is just something different. Well, if you're not a fan of these types, then I suggest you don't watch it, otherwise you'll be coming to me and complaining about how boring it is. I haven't seen it all, only up to episode 19 out of the 26, so I can't tell you how it ends, but so far....it's really, really good.

Rei
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:44 PM
I'm not forcing anyone, and I think I didn't say you're not free to post your opinions :mad:
I saw there was a discussion opened and I wanted to give my opinion.
First of all Cowboy Bebop is not my fave anime. I thought it wasn't good to say Cowboy Bebop is boring after seeing only 4 eps of it. I didn't like some of CB eps as well, but when you watch the whole show you know what this anime is about.

BTW, Evangelion is my fave anime of all times. I really got involved after the first two episodes and I was curious to know why in Japan the audience was so impressed when it first came out. It's a very peculiar anime, and I can't think of a similar one.
It has very complicated aspects in the plot (they used myths and elements of different religions, for example regarding the Angels and the EVAs) and it's also very introspective in some parts. But it has also action and humor.
I love more or less all the main characters, and the way their personalities evolve during the story.
I found in it gloomy atmospheres and I also thought it's somewhat depressing, and I was disturbed when I first saw some episodes, especially when the Unit 01 acts in a certain way, but I was never annoyed. Also, I like very much the style (the mecha design is mind blowing) and Sadamoto's character's design.

Reid
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:47 PM
I found the same thing with Dragonball/Z/GT as Rei.

The fights just seem to go on for too long and, while the characters do develop it takes a much longer time.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Thats what keeps you coming back to the series though the long drawn out battles and the how the action builds up and then leaves it off all of a sudden.Anyways im in a lose lose situation i got not allys here

Rei
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
Anyways im in a lose lose situation i got not allys here

If you got no allies here, you have too many allies around the world...otherwise Akira Toriyama wouldn't be so rich and DBZ and DB GT wouldn't be so terribly long :laugh:

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Hay i like the lenght of the Dragon ball saga others might not but i do.

Ruby Moon
Mar 19th, 2002, 08:15 PM
It's hard to choose only one anime among all the ones I love.
I'll probably pick Trigun. Only recently I could watch the whole series, but I fell in love with it :D
Especially the couple Vash/Wolfwood is the best I've ever seen in anime. I like the way this anime can mix together ironic and funny moments with serious or emotional ones. I like the setting (kinda sci-fi western, isn't it?), very original, and the suspense that keep you stuck to the series till the end. I suggest to those who haven't seen Trigun to find a way to give a look at it. I doubt you will be disappointed ;)

*maybe spoilers*

I also like the way the relationship Vash/Knives is revealed, very slowly. The way Vash is attracted and scared by the presence of Knives is probably one of the best aspects they put in the story, especially because it also involves many other strange characters that are particulary interesting (ex. Legato Bluesummers, who I thought to be the main villain for a long period :p).

BowevelJoe
Mar 20th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Ssnake you gotta admit after the first 200 eps it does get a little dry, i mean its the same thing happening over and over, a bigger badder guy pops up, they increase power levels, a couple of people get killed, they defeat him, they bring some dead friends back to life, and then bam, theres another foe trying to destroy earth or collect all of the dragon balls

Cowboy Bebop was a sweet anime, and i liked it alot, but i wouldnt say it was my favorite anime, just a well thought out and had a lot of money put into it.

Eva was a great anime series, really really head trippy, but i liked it, as was Lain, really depressing and a head trip too, but hey if you ever watch a normal anime, heck, your not watching anime

I liked Trigun, it was funny as heck, the characters rocked, and it was just an all around great anime, probably a bit goofy for some people but i liked it, i like a good comedy

Ah My Goddess, a really short series and really girly but it was so dang funny..its another good series to check out, short, but good

007_JamesBond
Mar 20th, 2002, 12:47 PM
I do not think that the first 200 eps were at all boring, well maybe a little but not pointless all the eps lead up to what will happen next in the series and with out that we would not have the rest of the series

Evil Parrot
Mar 20th, 2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
Hay i like the lenght of the Dragon ball saga others might not but i do.

Dont worry mate, I love DBZ too ;)

The length of the sagas is what makes the final battle more amazing. You can call me shallow if you want, but its just like the rocky movies, all the training, getting stronger and facing the big boss at the end. After all, isnt that what you do in RPG's? And a lot of people here seem to love them...

JC Denton
Mar 20th, 2002, 04:23 PM
yeh, i love dragonball and rpg's. db gives alot of build up to the big fight which is really effective, i like that. dragon ball z is the only anime i like at the moment, but i haven't seen much so i cant say i dont like anything else, but so far i have managed to hate digimon, yu gi oh and pokemon asn tenchi, but i have yet to see things like sailormoon.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 20th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Well, by your list, I can tell you haven't seen anything outside of WB, Fox Kids, and Cartoon Network, so I sugest you see more anime, because there is a lot of awesome stuff out there.

And I'm also a big fan of DBZ, but I also have to agree that the fights do get very boring at times, and the stories become repititious. But the story as a whole is very interesting, and the characters seem to cover all sorts of personalities and feelings.

So I'm not argueing with DBZ fans out there, I just want you all to realise that there's more out there. A Lot More Out There!

I can't decide what my favorite anime is at the moment. I'm stuck between Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genisis Evangelion. but since everyone already posted what's great about Bebop, I'll go with Eva. Tonight I'm going to watch the 5th DVD, so I'm sure I'll like it a lot more by the end of the day, but I'll post what I can about it.

I love Eva, the Mechs are the coolest robot designs I have ever seen, and the fights are much more realistic than Gundam ones are. The characters seem to develop wonderfully and smoothly through out the series, and all of them have a lot of very emotional background to them. They seem to fit a lot of comedy and drama in the series at the same time, often mixing the two together. Especially the relationships with the Eva Pilots and the rest of NERV as they seem to intertwine so buetifully.

I do have to admit though that the animeation and drawings could have been done better at times. The lines become blotchy and not as detailed and a few scenes are done quite sloppely.

But over all the music, and the vioces, both English and Japanese are great, and again, I can't express how much I love the Mecha designs.

That my opinion though. I'm hoping that I'll soon be able to see Trigun. It's available at On-Cue, but I need money, so...

JC Denton
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:04 PM
you dont live in england do you?
because we get none of this or none that i can find. i would watch it all and probably like it, but its english tv that lets anime down.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Don't feel bad. In the US those are the only channels where you can watch anime as well. Most of the extra stuff I've seen came from the Encore Action Channel, or Showtime Beyond. And a few from the local video rental store.

And I bit that I was lucky enough to be able to buy.

JC Denton
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:20 PM
yeh i know but you would think out of 600 channels on sky at least on would be dedicated to anime.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 20th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Actually, there is a possibility that there may be a toonami channle in the works. I read tyhat up in an interview with Toonami and the reviewers of AnimeNewsNetwork. They said that it's gotten so popular that they may come up with something dedicated to anime, or at least action cartoons, primarily anime though. And there is a pitition for an anime channel on the net some where, and if not that, then an all asian channel where only asian and anime films would be shown. Unedited. Perhaps part of the Encore slot in place of Encore action Channel.

In an interview with Encore, they said that they saw the petition and were very interested in the idea af an all anime channel. And the popularity of anime has grown unbelievably for the last five years.

I'm not sure about this next fact, but one of my relitives told me that the most popular gift during christmas this year for teeneagers was anime!

So don't feel too bad about the shortage of anime. In some areas, you can see anime on pretty much every channel. At any thime of the day, it's easy to watch anime in places like Argentia and other poorer countries that can't make their own television, so they just dub japanimation and American television, like friends, and sinfield.

I'm sure that sooner or later, anime will show up more on public television. It's just a matter of time.

But don't hold anything I said on here againsed me. This is only stuff I read up on the internet at popular anime sites.

And if you'd like to see the petition, here it is.
http://www.wildcoast.org/dvd/encore_pet.html

BlackThornn
Mar 20th, 2002, 06:59 PM
I think my favorite anime's Macross Plus. It's not exactly long, but it is great. Terrific voice acting (english.. I haven't heared the japanese voices), good animation, and a very good plot..

Second, though, is Tenchi Muyo (The OVA.. I hate the way they overditzed Mihoshi in the tv series..), but maybe that's just because it was practically the first anime I saw and really liked off the bat. (Saw DBZ first.. after a while I think it gets boring, though..)

EDIT! --I'm talking about the Japanese subtitled version of DBZ. I forgot when but I encountered it on the international channel. The first block of dubbed DBZ episodes (up until about the point cpt. Ginyu switched bodies) The voice acting was good.. but after that it was like they yanked a bunch of twits off the street and told them to talk like pro wrestlers. I half expected the line "That's the bottom line, 'cause Vegeta sed so!!!" to pop up. :blergh:

BowevelJoe
Mar 21st, 2002, 07:53 AM
ahahah good one blackthornn

Dude, i totally hate the way anime is so dang expensive and hard to find, thats why i send free anime to people in need, i currently have a couple of series already burned and sitting here collecting dust.. lemme check em out

Trigun, Neon Genesis Evangelion and the 3 End of Eva movies, Serial Experiments Lain, Ah! My Godess, Gundam Wing, Birdy Double Trouble (all 4 eps :)) and i think thats all..im tired of burning stuff and no one wanting it :laugh: ;)

007_JamesBond
Mar 21st, 2002, 12:24 PM
That would be so cool Cannibal Clown if they made a Toonami channel, I would defenitely get it. Evil Parrot has it about DBZ, the eps make the final battle all the better, in my opinion

Cannibal Clown
Mar 21st, 2002, 04:52 PM
Hey BlackThornn, I saw Macross plus like, a thousand times. It's one of my favorites. And it was the first anime I ever saw that was subtitled. i thought the japanese voices were very good, and when I saw the English version, I was very dissapointed with the voice cast. I suggest you see the sub version.

BlackThornn
Mar 21st, 2002, 07:11 PM
Yah, CC. :D I've been trying to get the Macross Plus subbed forever. But the local stores don't exactly deal in anime much, let alone subtitled anime. (Save someplace that sells H-vids.. but that's not exactly proper anime, now is it?)

I agree that there were some cartoony voices in the english of Macross Plus.. but overall I think it's quite good! ^_^ Miun (spelling?) isn't the most stellar voice actress.. but Isamu and Gould are. At least in my opinion.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 21st, 2002, 07:18 PM
I thought that Isamu's and Meun's voices were much better in Japanese. The most was the hacker dude, (can't remember his name) His voice was butched in the English version.

BowevelJoe
Mar 21st, 2002, 09:48 PM
aye, plus when they translate thing into english they can make good jokes sound terrible, like DBZ, they translated so much stuff wrong, and put in tons of stupid jokes that are not funny at all..the jap version is like 50 times better, you guys outta check it out sometime, its got nudity and language, they edited half of it out in the "unedited" versions they sell on dvd...bah, $20 for 2 eps of that crap, its not even worth it..

crap=the hacked up american DBZ, i have it all in jap subs, it was the raw stuff straight from japan, now THAT is DBZ

BlackThornn
Mar 21st, 2002, 10:12 PM
Man, I wish I could find some good DBZ tapes. From japan, not the s*** that FUNimation puts out.. they sully Toriyama's name.

Pu the Owl
Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:04 PM
I think my fave of all times is still Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (english title: The Secret of BlueWater). It's from the same staff of Evangelion, but it takes place in the past instead of the future (I think during the last years of XIX century). I think it came out in 1991, more or less, so it's not a new one. When last year Atlantis came out, many anime fans said it was a copy of The Secret of BlueWater. Well, it's not exactly a copy, but the greatest part of characters from Disney's movie are "inspired" by the ones of the Japanese anime, even if Disney staff keep on telling they've never heard of the Japanese cartoon before. :sarcasm:
In Fushigi no Umi no Nadia there are lots of elements taken from Jules Verne's books, especially from Twenty thousand leagues under the seas. Obviously, the story is not based on any precise book, but it's completely original.
I've watched the whole series several times and still I like it. Also it was the first series that really involved me into anime.

You said to choose only one series, so I picked this one, even if at the moment I'm obsessed with another anime series called One Piece which is cool, especially because it's about pirates :D, but I love Nadia more than One Piece, or at least I think so.

Anyway, NEARLY all the anime series you mentioned are among my fave ones. :)

Cannibal Clown
Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
I remember hearing about how atlantis was copied from Secret of Blue Water, and it made me think, "hmm, I wonder, if we're already copying ideas from japanimation, thgen sooner or later, they're going to have to make all american anime, with the adult material, and for once, something that's drawn well. But I do know that Disney admitted that the main chick in Atrlantis was inspired from a japanese girl.

I've never seen Blue Water, but it does look pretty interesting.

Squidlankie
Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:31 PM
Bubblegum crisis is my favorite. it has an awsome story, awsome plot, awsome characters and it always leaves you hanging.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:33 PM
which Bubble Gum Crisis are you talking about. Because there are several. My favorite is Tokyo 2040, the characters are soo well done, and the story has a lot of humor in it. But the drawings and animation don't stay consistant throughout the series. Especially towards the end.

jenova_jeb
Mar 23rd, 2002, 07:45 PM
My favorite is Gundam Wing. I've never watched an anime series yet that I've liked more than that. I love DBZ as well. It's an amazing series. I've never watched Cowboy Bebop, or whatever it's called. I watched a little bit of Bubblegum crisis at Squidlankie's house, and I loved what I saw. Unfortunately, I didn't see enough of it to know for sure just what I thought of it.

BowevelJoe
Mar 24th, 2002, 12:22 AM
aye, most people are demoted to being straight cartoon network anime fans, they havent even looked over the horizen into the world of anime, those are the people that need anime...and fast! :)

007_JamesBond
Mar 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Have any of you guys seen blue gender yet? opinions?

merylsilverburg
Mar 24th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Well, anyway, I've seen Fushigi no Umi no Nadia and I thought it was pretty good, though not one of my favorites. This is not the first time that Disney was inspired by anime. In The Little Mermaid, Ariel was inspired by anime girls, which explains Ariel's round eyes, huge hair, and thin-like body. I didn't find that out till recently, and I thought, "Oh..". But now....Disney licensed Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away)....so it seems that Disney needs a little help, eh? Well....now, I'm into watching anime that hasn't been licensed yet or are still fresh and new in Japan, like Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, FLCL, Hellsing, FF:Unlimited, Gensomaden Saiyuki, Noir, DiGi Charat, Kokoro Library, etc.....

Bhcdarkness
Mar 25th, 2002, 11:36 AM
i think Bubble Gum Crisis Tokyo 2040 is awesome. the characters in it are perfectly done.

i also like the gundamwing movie Endless Waltz. but you have to have atleast some of the Gundam Wing series to understand who what and when.

Evangelon is also a great series. i was hooked after only a short while.

Cannibal Clown
Mar 25th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Hey Meryl, I read up that Spirited away was the highest ranked anime in Japan for the year 2001. It was sopposed to eccede any anime that's ever been made. And if Disney just got it, then I'm very happy.

Oh yeah, and you shouldn't critisise Disney for copying anime completely. You probally know this already, but the anime style as we know it was originated in a Disney movie. Believe it or not, japanimation style came from Bambie! mainly from the eyes and what not.

I thought that was an interesting fact to throw into the air.