PDA

View Full Version : Fighting recommendations

Phenom
Mar 4th, 2005, 09:34 AM
It's been so long since I've played a fighting game. (yr 2001 was the last time I played a fighting game)

I really want to get my hands on Tekken 5, but since I can't at the moment (sold out everywhere) I decided to just start from scratch and pick up some old fighters. The problem is I can't remember some of them.

So far the only one I can think of is Virtua Fighter 4 and Soul Calibur 2. Other than that.... my mind is blank. (I have all street fighters so can't suggest those ^_^)

Vic Viper
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM
virtua fighter 4 evo is a much deeper game, much harder to get in to. it will take you lots of time just to master one of the charater, but very rewarding once you master the character. it has the best single player mode in any fighter, great AI opponents, cool character customization. imo it is the best 3d fighter right now.

if your up for a challenge get this game. :smirk:

Phenom
Mar 4th, 2005, 07:24 PM
What's the difference between VF4, and VF4 Evo?

absinthe_fairy
Mar 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
I definately recommend Dead or Alive 2. Brilliant fighting game. If you can get your hands on the first PSX version, try that out too.

Phenom
Mar 4th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Oh wow, didn't think anyone would name games from other systems, or are you talking about DoA: Hardcore?

Vic Viper
Mar 5th, 2005, 10:18 AM
What's the difference between VF4, and VF4 Evo?

think of Evo as a expansion pack. they added alot of new stuff in Evo. 2 new characters, better graphics, more costumes, and a completly new single player mode.

get Evo. :lick:

Phenom
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Alrighty then. Thanks Vic.
I should be receiving VF4 Evo within the next 3 days.
If you know of anymore good fighting titles out there, don't hesitate to suggest. I'll be buying quite a few for a little while.

Berserker
Mar 14th, 2005, 04:46 AM
I don't know if you're into 2d fighters? But if so you might want to check out Guilty Gear X or marvel vs capcom.

Phenom
Mar 14th, 2005, 07:53 AM
I'm into 2D fighters. I'm a street fighterholic =)
I've been meaning to ask about Guilty Gear. But I can't seem to remember my question for it.... I'll come back later.

dan da man
Mar 14th, 2005, 04:11 PM
I bought Dead or alive ultimate for xbox a few weeks ago, its has dead or alive 1 and dead or alive 2 with better graphics, its on xbox so I don’t know if you own one, but there’s nothing better than handing someone’s ass to them on xbox live, that’s if you have xbox live too lol.

For 2d fighters, I don’t have much knowledge on them, sorry Ryu.

Phenom
Mar 16th, 2005, 08:27 AM
I should start doing this at the beginning of my threads.

I have:
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter plus EX3
Street Fighter Anniversary
Capcom vs SNK 2
Tekken Tag Tournament (just got it in the mail =D)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo (just got it in the mail too =) )

Xbox
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate

I don't have a gamecube... "shrugs"

Uhh... my question about Guilty Gear. I don't think this was my question, but I think I've made it quite clear that I'm a big Street Fighter fan =) and was wondering if Guilty Gear matches up or surpasses Street Fighter?

Edit: Every once in a while I will buy new games, but right now I'm looking for the old ones. I do have a job, but I'm a bit cheap =p

dan da man
Mar 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
I should start doing this at the beginning of my threads.

I have:
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Street Fighter plus EX3
Street Fighter Anniversary
Capcom vs SNK 2
Tekken Tag Tournament (just got it in the mail =D)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo (just got it in the mail too =) )

Xbox
Dead or Alive 3
Dead or Alive Ultimate

Maybe you should.

Vic Viper
Mar 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM
guilty gear is very different from street fighter. its kinda like Samurai Showdown, its a very fast pace weapon base 2d fighter. and its the best looking 2d fighter around.

you should check it out. theres Guilty Gear X2 for the ps2 or if you want to play online, theres Guilty Gear X2#reload for the xbox.

happy_doughnut
Mar 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Uhh... my question about Guilty Gear. I don't think this was my question, but I think I've made it quite clear that I'm a big Street Fighter fan =) and was wondering if Guilty Gear matches up or surpasses Street Fighter?

Street fighter and Guilty Gear (including X and Isuka) games should really not be compared. While they both may be 2D fighters, that's about all the similarity they have. For one, Street Frighter is old school and Guilty Gear, well, it doesn't even have such a large following, and is fairly new. Late 90s or early 00s.

Also, the dynamics of both games are entirely different. Guilty Gear is very fast paced, as Vic said. Think of its pace being somewhat similar to the pace Marvel vs Capcom 2.

If you like 2D games, then I honestly do recommend this serie. Not because it bears similarity to SF, because they don't, but because in itself, GG, be it the first, second or third, is/are great game(s).

I too am a big fan of ST and of 2D fighting games in general. I also am, I guess you could say, a fan of GG. Good stuff. Plus, the older GG games should be cheap now. I last bought Isuka (GG's latest installment, realsed late last year) this year for about $30.

So yeah, for 2D, GG is the way to go and for 3D, I suggest Soul Calibur 2. :D

Phenom
Mar 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Maybe you should.
Sorry about that, I will list my games the next time I need some recommendations =)

Street fighter and Guilty Gear (including X and Isuka) games should really not be compared. While they both may be 2D fighters, that's about all the similarity they have. For one, Street Frighter is old school and Guilty Gear, well, it doesn't even have such a large following, and is fairly new. Late 90s or early 00s.

Also, the dynamics of both games are entirely different. Guilty Gear is very fast paced, as Vic said. Think of its pace being somewhat similar to the pace Marvel vs Capcom 2.

If you like 2D games, then I honestly do recommend this serie. Not because it bears similarity to SF, because they don't, but because in itself, GG, be it the first, second or third, is/are great game(s).

I too am a big fan of ST and of 2D fighting games in general. I also am, I guess you could say, a fan of GG. Good stuff. Plus, the older GG games should be cheap now. I last bought Isuka (GG's latest installment, realsed late last year) this year for about $30.

So yeah, for 2D, GG is the way to go and for 3D, I suggest Soul Calibur 2.
I see. (nice elaboration ^_^) Well I think that's all I need now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Berserker
Mar 22nd, 2005, 02:10 AM
Guilty Gear is downright hilarious excellent characters and absurd moves. First time I played it I actually got a rush from the speed and the graphics that were raging on the screen, one of my faves!
If you're more into the old school 2d check out KOF 00/01, more old school arcade than that is hard to find. Far less graphic extremities than GG but a S%^#load of characters, cool moves, excellent gameplay and that superb arcade feel IMO. The game is far from perfect and if you're not into hardcore old school you probably should stay away from it but for some clean cut old school fun give it a shot.(it makes me wanna get the vf hori-stick just to bust out those old school street fighterish fireball moves :laugh: )