PDA

View Full Version : Mercenaries: 2005 GOTY?

Drafter-T
Feb 5th, 2005, 10:06 PM
It's obviously early in the year, but Mercs has got to be one of the best PS2 games I've ever played, maybe the best ever. It's just hard to find anything wrong with it.

This game has got to at least be a candidate for GOTY. I can't think of anything coming out soon that could compete with it, except maybe GT4.

What do you guys think? Best PS2 game you ever played? It's got to at least be in the top 5, maybe higher, IMO.

kupoartist
Feb 6th, 2005, 05:21 AM
The critical opinion definately seems to be leaning towards Resident Evil 4... but then, end of year games tend to win the awards (IMO) because review sites are peopled by lazy peoples :)

Dactrius
Feb 6th, 2005, 05:45 AM
but then, end of year games tend to win the awards (IMO) because review sites are peopled by lazy peoples :)

And that's precisely one of the reasons why we get a huge wave of games around the last couple of months of the year. Think about it. GTA:San Andreas, Halo 2, Half Life 2, Resident Evil 4, all of them the last quarter of the year.

For me Game of 2004 was San Andreas, for many reasons. With the exception of Resi, I have played all the above almost to death and my decision still stands. As for 2005, it's too early to say. Mercenaries is very good, but I don't know if it's GOTY meterial yet, I've only really got a little into the game.

kupoartist
Feb 6th, 2005, 05:57 AM
And that's precisely one of the reasons why we get a huge wave of games around the last couple of months of the year. Think about it. GTA:San Andreas, Halo 2, Half Life 2, Resident Evil 4, all of them the last quarter of the year.
Perhaps, but it's far more likely that this is a coincidence because of the busy Christmas Sales period as well of course...

Drafter-T
Feb 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Mercs has got to be a strong candidate for GOTY though. I'm just sitting here trying to remember when I've ever had more fun playing a game and I just can't think of anything.

I know one thing, unless something's out there on the horizon that I don't know about, Mercs will definitely be my GOTY.

Dactrius
Feb 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Perhaps, but it's far more likely that this is a coincidence because of the busy Christmas Sales period as well of course...

Oh of course, that's why I said 'one of' the reasons. The cash being thrown around at Christmas time is far too much for developers to ignore. And what better way to bring it in than with a big title?

Vic Viper
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:20 AM
hell naw, Resident Evil 4 blows GTA korea out of the water..

RE4 = 2005 GOTY:happy:

Drafter-T
Feb 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM
hell naw, Resident Evil 4 blows GTA korea out of the water..

RE4 = 2005 GOTY:happy:
LMAO at GTA Korea! :laugh: I still say Mercs will at least compete for GOTY. It's sure one of the best games I've ever played. Even if it doesn't win over RE4, it's got to be on the map at least.

Drafter-T
Feb 13th, 2005, 10:29 PM
The more I play the second half of this game, the more flaws I see. The overall gameplay is still great, for me at least, but I'm getting the sense that they spent more time perfecting the first half than they did the second half, graphically anyway.

There's just some weird stuff happening in the 2nd half, like tanks sitting on top of each other. I still say it's a great and fun game and I'm still into it big-time, but I'm officially releasing Mercs from GOTY consideration, lol.

Dactrius
Feb 15th, 2005, 10:43 AM
That's a shame about the game Drafter-T, I suggest you stick with it and see how it turns out. It may pick up again before the end? Anyway, here's my review (http://www.xequted.com/article.php?type=reviews&subaction=showfull&id=1108331518&ucat=4&type=reviews) you wanted to see, just got put up today. :)

Drafter-T
Feb 15th, 2005, 11:53 AM
That's a shame about the game Drafter-T, I suggest you stick with it and see how it turns out. It may pick up again before the end? Anyway, here's my review (http://www.xequted.com/article.php?type=reviews&subaction=showfull&id=1108331518&ucat=4&type=reviews) you wanted to see, just got put up today. :)
Hey, thanks for the link Dactrius. That's a great review. You represented the game well, IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still loving the game, it just seems the second half has a few graphical glitches here and there that I didn't notice in the first half. Nothing that seems to affect the gameplay any though. Still a great game.