PDA

View Full Version : MGS stolen or original....? The Truth about MGS

Zellodine
Jan 27th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I was at the video store recently, and I came across a movie called Escape from NewYork, it looked interesting so rented it. At the beggining of the movie they introduced the main charactor, his name was Snake Pliskken....with a eyepatch on his left eye.....and a five o'clock shadow.....and dosnt like doing solo missions but does any way (sound a little familiar) he even goes on the mission by himself (like snake) and saves the presedent now theres no gears in it but its just to ironic for its own good also it came out one year befor the first metal gear game on NES there are two of these moviese Escape from New york and Escape from L.A and see if im not the omly one noticing this :S

Dactrius
Jan 27th, 2005, 08:08 PM
You may notice in Metal Gear Solid 2, Snake uses the name "Plisken". And coincidentally, the main character in the "Escape from..." movies is called Snake Plisken. Coincidence? No...

Hideo Kojima, the man behind the MGS series is actually a fan of the films (Or so the rumours go) and he intentionally used the name Plisken as a tribute.

So now you know. ;)

LeCrap
Jan 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
THAT's why para-medic talks so much about movies! IT'S SO DAMN CLEAR NOW!

duovash55
Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:20 AM
well finally someone agrees with me that cool but hideo does loose some originality points in my book but he still the best

Kaolla Su
Feb 5th, 2005, 11:11 PM
WOAH. Ive seen that movie. I never realized that it was so so sooooooo similar to Snake. Wow now i can get high with no hesitation! But Zellodine has to be quiet about it or Kojima will lose his cool points! OH NO :shame: ! It does not matter that his ideas are not 100% origional. I still love MGS and always will!

duovash55
Feb 7th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Kaollo su is a man and he is zellodine Ha i Know the truth :mean:

Infinity
Feb 10th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Hey thanks for that tip. Ill go rent that movie and check it out. Oh and I agree Dactrius i think Hideo Kojima did it on purpose.

Harry
Feb 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Well, this is not a secret. The MGS series has been inspired by Carpenter's storyline especially for the main character. Anyhow, the movie that really inspired Kojima wasn't Escape from Las Vegas, but the original Escape from New York; the original movie was a low-cost production that many people used just to the special effects of today's action movies would call cheesy, while the sequel is more or less your typical Hollywood action flick - but the style, the originality, and overall the creativity behind the whole project make of the 80s' movie a classic and probably Carpenter's very best work.

By the way, Kojima is more than a movie fan - he was a cinema student, and wanted to become a movie director. That's why MGS games are well above even the commonly considered great videogames when it comes to character development, cinematic style, etc.etc. He took inspiration from Carpenter's movie to create some of his characters, but I think the MGS series has a depth that Carpenter didn't even want in his movies.

dan da man
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Yeah I saw that movie last night, Kurt Russell is just the way Solid snake behaves and a similar personality, his voice sounds similar to David Hayters too, awesome film. :)