PDA

View Full Version : Chivalry Is NOT Dead

IcyMourdor
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:26 AM
For those of you how know me, my threads usually start out with a story before I get to the topic. This one is no different. I prefer to link real life into my threads in one fashion or another. If you would rather skip the story, the topic questions are at the bottom of the post.

Today seemed like any normal day. I had fun hanging with friends in the morning. Then, went to work for another slow monday at work. Who would have thought that I would actually be fearing for my life at a pizza delivery store?

One of my co-workers (still in high school) was also working tonight. She decided that tonight was the night to break up with her verbially abusive and sometimes out of control boyfriend. He didn't take it too well. After their fight on the phone (remember, this is at work and on the company phone and time), he called back and I answered it. He wanted to talk to her and I refused to let him. She was already in tears and being the nice and sweet and cute person that everyone seems to think I am, I told him to not call again. He immediately hung up and called back about two minutes later. I answered again normally of course. This is a business after all and the called identification was down. He then proceeded to threaten to come down to the store and shoot me and my co-worker if I didn't let him talk to her.

This wasn't the first time he had threatened me before. All the other times, he didn't even do anything, so I figured he was all talk again. He hung up again after another refusal on my part. The driver and his friend were also there. They are both from Chicago and they both got back from Iraq about six months ago, so they were both pissed off to see this kind of treatment. Well, after that, things seemed to be going better. About thirty minutes passed, and the spirits of everyone were starting to rise. I was standing at the counter where we take orders and out of the corner of my eye, I see someone walk fast towards the front door. Not surprising since it is only about five degrees outside. I turn to see him open the door and walk towards my driver. The driver and his friend immediately forced him outside. I stayed inside with my co-worker cause she immediately burst into tears. I wanted to go out there and make sure nothing happened and make him leave, but I couldn't leave her side.

A fight didn't break out and I couldn't tell if he was carrying any firearms or other weapons. He left and the rest of the night seemed to go smoothly. My boss knows about this guy, so I doubt that any of us will get fired over it. I know I should have called the police and let them handle it. It isn't like I don't have faith in the police. I have family that are cops, so I kinda know the police in the surronding counties. I just froze with fear for my life and hers. I have never been this afraid in my life.

I am better now though. I talked to my best friend and she calmed me down. I talked to my co-worker a couple hours ago and she was deafly afraid that we would get fired. If we do, I'll accept it. I should have called the police and I didn't. But at least for now, she is okay.

Enough of the story, your turns...

I have heard from people that "Chivalry is dead". I personally believe that it isn't. I would do anything to help people, not only women.

Have you had an experience where your chivalry was called on?
How far would you go before it ran out?
Do you think that chivalry is actually dead?

Aubrey McFatum
Jan 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Actually, I am the first one to always try to help people when possible. If people are women, I even try to be more polite to them. It never happened to me anything so bad as in your story, but I'm talking about politeness in everyday's life occasions and events. I personally think most people say chivarly is dead because it's politeness in every sense to be kinda old fashioned. Or so it is considered to be. It is not "very cool" or "convenient" to be gentle, especially to people you don't know. It's a lot easier to mind your own business and go on with life.

happy_doughnut
Jan 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Oh, Mourdor! That was awful! I can imagine how terrifying that must have been. I am truly sorry you had to go through that. :(

I hope you guys are all okay now and that that guy won't bother you anymore. If he does, make sure you pull a Chuck Norris move on him. That should get rid of him for sure! :mean:

As for me, I don't think chivalry is dead. But, I do admit that when I'm with my brother, I do rethink it. :laugh:

There are some guys out there that are true gentlemen and some gals that are true ladies. All of these are more than willing to help out a fellow person in need, and it is mostly shown in hard situations. However, it is my opinion that people like these are scant. Perhaps it is not because they choose to be, but because their own fears betray them.

As far as I go, I guess you can say there was an incident where my chivalry was called on.

Some years ago, when I was in 7th grade, I attended a private school. You know, with the little skimpy skirts and what have you. Anyway, at this time, I must have been about what - 12 or 13 years old?

Well, one day, after some after school catechism baloney, I was waiting for my brother to pick me up. It was about 7 pm. I waited, and waited and he didn't show. Every one was leaving, so I ran to the office to use their phone. I called him and it turned out he was in LA. :disturb: He complete forgot about me! See why he's the demon killing chivalry? Anyway, there was no way someone would come for me, since my parents weren't home and had told him to go pick me up. I decided to go home walking, since the school wasn't all too far from my home. On my way, I girl from my school caught up to me and started walking with me; it turned out we lived near one another. That day, I remember, was especially dark, since it was in the Winter time. We hurried home.

About halfway, and in a small street, I noticed there was a car that had been following us. At first, I didn't pay attention, but I found it odd that it was still behind us. I mean, it was a car; it should have passed us long ago.

I whispered this to the girl with me and she immediately freaked out :heh:. I told her to calm down, in order to avoid attracting more attention, but she was scared. All of a sudden, I heard a door slam... and Oh, My God! I felt so scared!! I didn't even turn around because I was so terrified. I just whispered to the girl a very subtle "run." We did.

But come on, teeny girls running from a big baddy? *sigh* I should have put more effort in PE. Anyway, guess what? To make things worse, the girl tripped! ... !!! ...

I admit that the throught "I'm outta here" did cross my mind for a slight second. But as I turned to leave, I felt horrible. She yelled and, with all the strength I could gather, I dashed to her and helped her up. The guy was right there. I swear, I remember that so vividly. I just wanted to yell and cry, but somehow, I managed to smack him with my bookbag (we had to use those portfolio type ones) as hard as I could and ran away as fast as we could. We ran and ran and jumped a fence of a nearby grade school. Thinking she would not be able to jump it, I got behind her and helped her.

Finally, we made it inside and we found some teachers who helped us.

And that's it.

I remember the girl just hugged me. A bear hug and broke into tears. She thanked me for being so curageous and not leaving her.

Heck, I was mortified!

Yep. That was my act of courage. Please don't ask me to do it again.

I don't consider myself a curageous or chivalrous person, though. All in all, I was just glad we were okay.

So no, I don't think chivalry is dead. But I do think it's scarce.

LrdAlucard
Jan 26th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Well, i remember this very well...I think it might have been the only time i did some "chivalry stuff" lol

Anyways, reading doughnuts's post remined me of it. Well, me and my bro (hes 2 years older than me) were practicaly in the same schools right. In our first one, "primary school" 1st to 4th grade, i think i was in the 2nd and my bro in the 4th and last one... we were at those times of everyones lives were we fight just for fun, and i used to hang out with my bro n his colegues.. Anyways, one of them, back then was sort of a bully, and didnt liked my bro that much, so one day he decided to "play" with my bro and to call him names, hit him n stuff.. Well, of course my bro defended himself, but that caused the other guy to be even more angry, so he told him we would beat the crap out of him after school =_= well, i was 8 years old so i still had a "babysitter" (those kind of places were lots of children go cuz their parents cant take care of them during the day). When we were leaving school that day the guy was right there, waiting for us..and started to push my bro around...when i noticed, he was already trying to hit my bro, so we started running. 20m had passed and he was catching us, so bravely i stopped running, told my bro to keep running and as soon the "goon" catched up to me i took off my satchel full of books and waved at him so many times he just disappeared after 1 min LOL then i ran up to catch my bro and he the guy came back at us so we just ran to that "babysitters" place and well....hoped the guy would leave... and he did
And so i saved the day, and my bro from getting his ass kicked lol..well btw, we'r all friends now, one of my bro's best friends :P

THE END

:P *claps clap*