PDA

View Full Version : Tsunami Disaster Thread

Vic Viper
Dec 28th, 2004, 04:44 PM
The "putrid stench of the dead" hung heavily Tuesday over Banda Aceh as officials slowly came to grips with the devastation caused by a massive underwater earthquake and the equally massive tsunami that followed it......

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/asia.quake/index.html

:(

tempted
Dec 28th, 2004, 05:39 PM
:(

Yeah i've been following this on the news...the last time i watched, it was going on more than 55.000 deaths...it's really sad...i watched on the news that there's an island that has been completely devastated...no survivors :(...it's unbelievable the power of mother nature.

LrdAlucard
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
This was some serious sh*t....ive been following it through the news too, and the last time ive heard the numbers were about 60.000 dead...and they said the numbers could even double!! can u imagine? 120.000 dead in this natural accident... geez...

Redpyramidhead
Dec 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Look people. IT IS HAPPENING. Right before our eyes. Global warming is finally taking its first huge strike against us on a mass scale. The sad thing is, most americans will go on living their lives like none of this has happened, until it happens to us next hurricane season. Unfortunately, while we have the Bush administration in power, there is little the U.S. government will do about it. Citizens of the world, expect some out of control whether patterns in the coming months or year or so. Nobody is safe. I couldn't be more serious right now. I hope we make it...........

_RED_ stuff

Piggle_humsy
Dec 28th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Well this was actually caused by an earthquake under the sea bed not global warming.. but yes Global warming could also cause similar things if we don't do something soon.
I've been following this on the news, the pictures that they are showing of people carrying bodies wrapped in sheets and today I saw some people carrying childrens bodies, it's just awful, I wish I had money that I could donate to the charities helping them.

:shame:

Infernal Mass
Dec 29th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Look people. IT IS HAPPENING. Right before our eyes. Global warming is finally taking its first huge strike against us on a mass scale. The sad thing is, most americans will go on living their lives like none of this has happened, until it happens to us next hurricane season. Unfortunately, while we have the Bush administration in power, there is little the U.S. government will do about it. Citizens of the world, expect some out of control whether patterns in the coming months or year or so. Nobody is safe. I couldn't be more serious right now. I hope we make it...........

_RED_ stuff

:disturb:

these Tsunami's have been happening for centuries..they will continue to happen for centuries to come..and they would still be happening even if the air was so clean you could smell it if someone farted in China.

Berserker
Dec 29th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Sad sad news indeed :weep:

The earth has been warming up and cooling down since the beginning, we are now in a warming up period....Global warming is a fact but they aren't sure how much human behaviour is contributing to it.

jjmoohead
Dec 29th, 2004, 05:46 PM
I hate to ask this cause this is a serious problem, but please explain to me where global warming has ANYTHING to do with this?

It was an earthquake that happened out in the ocean near the coast of these countries. The earthquake caused the ocean to suck in on it self and thus create large waves that were reported to be about 800 Feet High. Like waves on a beach the water that goes up the beach then returns to the ocean. Hense a wave. This is what caused the major destruction. Wave after wave of giant walls of water come into the city then pulling everythin not attached back into the ocean. 80,000 and counting dead in 8 countries. Many more missing and I fear some to never be found, pulled back into the ocean.

Global warming is something that happens over time. Yes the water levels are rising, i dont deny that, but to say that global warming contributed to a series of spontanious waves is rediculous. Global Warming is not a cause of moving tectonic plates. If it is then global warming has been in exsistance since the beginning of earth when all the contants were connected in one giant land mass. You see the contantents have been moving for millions of years and are still moving today. If global warming effects plate movement then man is not to blame for global warming since global warming had to exsist since the beginning of time, before man existed.

If it has then I must think that earth is then going to be just fine in regards to global warming since after millions of years the earths water level is where it is now, we will have nothing to worry about for millions and millions of more years. I would be more concerned about retirement or in this case a meteior hitting the earth.

This was an act of mother nature. This was not man created. If anything man did wrong in this place was to build cities near a fault line. Not like we have a choice or anything. Just saying. This could happen in Sanfransico any day, or Vancouver. They think vancouver will get the biggest earthquake ever recorded in the future. Seismologists have been studying earthquakes for a long time and they still cant predict when an earthquake will happen, just that there will be one in the future.

Our weather paterns we have had or have been having is a direct result with what scientist refer to as the HOT AND COLD. Its pretty basic and was talked about in another post. The earth goes through phasis. We are in a warm faise and possibly will be for a few generations if not longer. Are we going to die this summer because of it...NO...some may die in freak avalaches or land slides. They sure will if they are not careful. But look back on statistics of weather paterns. However, find me a time in any in any country where people have not died for the same reasons over the last 100 years. Avalanches kill people every year. Forrest fires happen every year. Some worse then others of course but they always have and always will exist. Weather patterns are hardly ever the same for 2 consecutive years. Last winter here was the coldest its ever been...we broke records hitting -58. This winter we hardly have any snow on the ground. We are going to fine...Global warming is not going to kill us tomorrow, next thursday, in June, or even next year. This is not an issue as you may feel it is. This is just earth, doing its thing.

Anyway, sorry about the rant, but we need to understand that this tragedy could not have been prevented. Sure less lives may have been lost if there was a way to have warned more people quicker, but lets face it, there was no way to predict that one that day at that time an earthquake measureing 9.0 of the ricter scale would happen and cause these 800 foot high waves to simply destroy these 8 countries.

We need to work together at this point to help these people deal with what happened. Just like we are going to have to do during the next earthquake, the next hurrican, the next landslide, the next avalanche and the next snow storm. These things do happen, its mother nature at her worst. We just gotta do what we can.

Berserker
Dec 30th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Well put JJ!

Allthough I do think that the rising of the sea level may be a problem in the nearby future, I live in a country that's about 4/5 metres below sealevel so...... :lmao:

LrdAlucard
Dec 30th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Well this was actually caused by an earthquake under the sea bed not global warming.. but yes Global warming could also cause similar things if we don't do something soon.
I've been following this on the news, the pictures that they are showing of people carrying bodies wrapped in sheets and today I saw some people carrying childrens bodies, it's just awful, I wish I had money that I could donate to the charities helping them.

:shame:

actually, i think if global warming should "explode" in its final phasis right now, the result should be something like in the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" :blink::blink:

tempted
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:06 AM
I just saw on the news that the number of deaths is now on 122.000 and what's even worse is that it can double due to desieses that can come from the decomposing bodies...plus it is estimated that around 5 million people are going to need help and if they don't get it, God knows how many more will die :(.

Frozen
Dec 30th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Call me paranoid and sutpid, but I have strong beliefs that this could have been the result of some sort of covert nuclear test...

Vic Viper
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Call me paranoid and sutpid, but I have strong beliefs that this could have been the result of some sort of covert nuclear test...

Frozen are you feeling alright. i think your going crazy man. :(

goodman
Dec 30th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Agreed, Moo, this is a natural tragedy, has happened since the beginning of time. No reason to blame the Bush administration for this one, they seem to get the blame for enough things. Its indeed a tragedy that we havent seen in many years, will be following the news on it much more closely, i was out of town when it all first occured... oh here is a list of relief operations that concerned individuals can contribute to:

NPR.org, December 29, 2004 · Below is a list of aid
> agencies collecting donations for the victims of the
> deadly tsunami that struck southern Asia:
>
>
> Network for Good
> Donate to multiple organizations online.
> www.networkforgood.org
>
> Action Against Hunger
> 247 West 37th Street, Suite 1201
> New York, N.Y. 10018
> 212-967-7800 x108
> www.actionagainsthunger.org
>
> AmeriCares
> 88 Hamilton Ave
> Stamford, CT 06902
> 800-486-4357
> www.americares.org
>
> American Jewish World Service
> 45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
> New York, N.Y. 10018
> 800-889-7146
> www.ajws.org
>
> American Friends Service Committee
> AFSC Crisis Fund
> 1501 Cherry Street
> Philadelphia, Pa. 19102
> 215-241-7000
> www.afsc.org
>
> American Red Cross
> International Response Fund
> P.O. Box 37243
> Washington, D.C. 20013
> 800-HELP NOW
> www.redcross.org
>
> Catholic Relief Services
> Tsunami Emergency
> P.O. Box 17090
> Baltimore, Md. 21203-7090
> 800-736-3467
> www.catholicrelief.org
>
Direct Relief International
> 27 South La Patera Lane
> Santa Barbara, Calif. 93117
> 805-964-4767
> www.directrelief.org
>
> Doctors Without Borders
P.O. Box 1856
> Merrifield, Va. 22116-8056
> 888-392-0392
> www.doctorswithoutborders.org
>
> Food for the Hungry, Inc.
> Food for the Hungry
> Asia Quake Relief
> 1224 E. Washington St.
> Phoenix, AZ 85034
> 800-2-HUNGERS
> www.fh.org
>
> International Medical Corps
> Earthquake/Tsunami Relief
> 1919 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 300
> Santa Monica, Calif. 90404
> 800-481-4462
> www.imcworldwide.org
>
> Islamic Relief USA
> Southeast Asia Earthquake Emergency
> P.O. Box 6098
> Burbank, Calif. 91510
> 888-479-4968
> www.irw.org/asiaquak
>
> Lutheran World Relief
> South Asia Tsunami
> PO Box 17061
> Baltimore, MD 21298-9832
> 800-LWR-LWR-2 (800-597-5972)
> www.lwr.org
>
> Mercy Corps
> Southeast Asia Earthquake Response
> Dept. W
> P.O. Box 2669
> Portland, Ore. 97208
> 800-852-2100
> www.mercycorps.org
>
Operation USA
> 8320 Melrose Avenue, Suite 200 Los Angles, Calif.
> 90069
> 800-678-7255
> www.opusa.org

>
> Oxfam America
> Asian Earthquake Fund
> PO Box 1211
> Albert Lea, MN 56007-1211
> 800-77-OXFAM
> www.oxfamamerica.org
>
> Save The Children
> Asia Earthquake/Tidal Wave Relief Fund
> 54 Wilton Road
> Westport, Conn. 06880
> 800-728-3843
> www.savethechildren.org
>
>
US Fund for UNICEF
> General Emergency Fund
> 333 E. 38th Street
> New York, NY 10016
> 800-4-UNICEF
> www.unicefusa.org
>
Stop Hunger Now
> SE Asia crisis
> 2501 Clark Ave, Suite 200
> Raleigh, NC 27607
> 888-501-8440
> www.stophungernow.org
>
> World Vision
P.O. Box 70288
> Tacoma, WA 98481-0288
> 888-56-CHILD
> www.worldvision.org
>
> World Concern
> Asia Earthquake and Tsunami
> 19303 Fremont Avenue North
> Seattle, WA 98133
> 800-755-5022
> www.worldconcern.org

> World Emergency Relief
2270-D Camino Vida Roble
> Carlsbad, CA 92009
> 760-930-8001
> www.worldemergencyrelief.org

jjmoohead
Dec 30th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Good work Goodman...there is alot of good organizations listed there

and on a side note...the movie THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW is completly fiction. This could not happen. The idea of it makes science throwup on itself. I had to stop watching it the first time cause it made me angry. I finnished it after I realized it was simply a joke. Or rather then a joke it was simply a fictional story to put fear into the minds of those less educated on the idea.

All one can do is bow to mother nature. She is in control. We can build stuff to help against her forces, but in the end she decides our fates.

goodman
Dec 31st, 2004, 02:03 AM
I got a real interesting email tonight on the tsunami and the causes, lets see how much of this i can reprint here :

Tsunami wave, which hit India for the first time today wreaking havoc across the southern coastline, is a known phenomenon in the Pacific Ocean region stretching from Chile in Latin America to Japan in far east Asia.

The waves, which were caused by a massive earthquake on the Indian Ocean and claimed thousand of lives in India and six other countries, are usually triggered by seismic disturbances - coastal earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, or undersea landslides - that jolt the ocean floor.

Often, tremors displace ground surface, sending an entire column of water in motion outward from an earthquake region - often with disastrous results thousands of kilometres from their origin.

The difference between Tsunami waves and tidal waves is that while the former hit only the harbours and coastal areas even as the other parts of the sea remain calm, the latter make the sea rough.

High-speed wave

The result is a deep wave that reaches from the sea's surface to the floor and travels horizontally at speeds up to 500 miles per hour and reaches heights between 50 and 100 feet.

The waves travel faster in deeper water and when it approaches shore, they rise further. It is the sharp elevation of the ocean floor near the coast that slows the bottom of the wave while the top keeps moving at the original speed.

Vast quantity of water is then piled up into a vertical wall that finally crashes over the shore with amazing force.

In the open sea, Tsunamis are only about a meter high, but when they reach a shoreline, they can be taller than a house and weigh millions of tons.

Seismic waves

The word "Tsunami" has come from Japanese language, describing very long, low seismic sea waves. It is usually found in the Pacific ocean where there is significant movement of the earth's tectonic plates.

Japan is one of the two Asian countries - the other being Indonesia - which has been frequently hit by Tsunami waves.

The Japanese suffered the fury when hundreds died after a huge wave travelling at a speed of 750 km per hour smashed the country in 1960 following a series of quakes in Chile on the other side of Pacific Ocean.

Major Tsunamis occur in the Pacific Ocean region only about once per decade and the major ones - the Prince William Sound, Alaska, in March 1964, and the Tsunami generated off the coast of Chile in 1960 - have been devastating over large distances.

Killer wave

Tsunamis have been responsible for thousands of fatalities, especially in Japan and Indonesia.

In the Indian Ocean, which was hit by the quake today, the Indo-Australian plate is being subducted beneath the Eurasian plate at its east margin.

Therefore, most Tsunamis generated in this area are propagated toward the southwest shores of Java and Sumatra, rather than into the Indian Ocean.

The first sign of an approaching Tsunami is the sea tide draining away from the shore. I have interesting pictures and interactive pictures that also go with this email if anyone wants to see them i can send them to you. This is horrendous, but nothing new at all to our world, a tragedy that will definitely be mourned the world over for some time...

************************************************** ************************************************** *********************************

LrdAlucard
Dec 31st, 2004, 06:30 AM
Good work Goodman...there is alot of good organizations listed there

and on a side note...the movie THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW is completly fiction. This could not happen. The idea of it makes science throwup on itself. I had to stop watching it the first time cause it made me angry. I finnished it after I realized it was simply a joke. Or rather then a joke it was simply a fictional story to put fear into the minds of those less educated on the idea.

All one can do is bow to mother nature. She is in control. We can build stuff to help against her forces, but in the end she decides our fates.

just explain to me why something like in the movie couldnt ever happen. i know that was just a movie, duh. but i still cant understand why couldnt that eventually happen. please? :heh:

Frozen
Dec 31st, 2004, 07:13 AM
Frozen are you feeling alright. i think your going crazy man. :(

No, really I wasn´t joking, and I wasn´t necessarily blaming our government for it, for we are not the only ones with nuclear capabilities.

It is much more reasonable that this was done by natural causes, but that thought won´t leave my mind.

Keyblade Master
Jan 1st, 2005, 12:38 AM
It's not fair that all those people had to lose their home to a stupid tidal wave. It was plasturd all over the news and I saw every sickening footage of it... I tried to stop but, I couldn't help but look in horrer at that footage
and the ear bleeding decriptions of the inccedent. Now where all those people live, sniff... :snooty:

Piggle_humsy
Jan 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
I just heard for the first time on a News special 'Tsunami' Program about how the earthquake was so huge it made the entire earth shake 1-inch on its axis!!!
That gives you some kind of Idea how huge an earthquake it was, that's really shocking!

Piggle_humsy
Jan 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM
To all the UK Members
If you want to Help the Tsunami disaster and possibly also get yourself a fantastic 'once in a lifetime' prize at the same time check out this link....

UK Radio Aid (http://pages.ebay.co.uk/ukradioaid/)

You most likely already know about it but I just incase you live in a cave....

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

Piggle_humsy
Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM
Why have people stopped posting in here..
I do apologize for triple posting but what can I do if no-one else posts.. :confused:

Anyways I just wanted to report on the above event and say that it went really well and they managed to raise over 3 million pounds! That's just within 12 hours!
It amazing how much people are donating to this.

But also I find it quite shameful that we can't seem to put this much effort into all the other causes that need our help. :(
I know this has touched more people because it was so global and so many nationalities lost lives out there, also it has been far more publicised in the past few weeks than any of the other causes ever have, but they all need our help equally.

Piggle :roll:
x x x x