PDA

View Full Version : Talents?

happy_doughnut
Dec 15th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I was watching an anime the other day, and one of the characters said something interesting: I don't have any talents besides studying.

At first, I overlooked the comment (I guess cause I was pressed for time...), but for some reason, it got stuck to the back to my head.

I personally think that everyone has at least one talent; one thing they are especially good at and better than most other average people are.

Looking in the Gallery forum, I can see that a few have a talent for drawing, as some of the drawings are significantly better than some others (no offence). Same thing applies at the Fan Fic forum.

So, my question is: What is your talent? What is that one little thing that you can do that everyone whishes they could do as well as you? Or, are you lucky and have multiple talents. Come on, share; don't be shy.

As for me, honestly, I have no talents :laugh:. Now, before you say that I'm contradicting myself, or feel pity for me, let me explain:

Like the girl in the anime said, I have no talents besides studying. Yes, I'm one of those boring people. I cannot say that I am, for example, talented at gaming, drawing, doing math, dancing, cooking (XD), playing sports, ect., ect. I am not even slightly talented at these things! I am simply not "naturally good" at anything.

This is what I mean by having no talent: I am not naturally good at anything.

However, I can do just about anything so so. Like say, if I pick up a Calculus book (even though I struggle at math), and study for an hour or so, I will do fine in the class. If I pick up a physics book and study it a bit, I will do well in the class. If I play a beat 'em up game for a few hours, I will get it and be pretty good at it. If I study some ingredients, I will make a good meal. These "effects" usually last me quite a bit.

This may make no sense. I know that if everyone studied, everyone would do better. However, I don't require vast amounts of study time. 1 or 2 hours usually suffice. After that, I'm set to go. Basically, if you throw anything at me, just gimme a quick bit and I will do it just fine.

This is my talent. To be able to study things and do many things quite efficiently. This is why people think I'm "smart," but I'm not smart like those people that just naturally understand things. I pick them up fast, but I need some time.

That's me! I am multi-so-so talented! :shappy:

Doesn't it suck? Bah. What about you guys? :)

Dactrius
Dec 15th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Well, it sounds like you pick things up quicker than most, you grasp concepts easier than those around you. That's a talent I think, or at least by your definition;

"What is that one little thing that you can do that everyone whishes they could do as well as you?".

Personally I wish I could learn as fast as you claim you do, so there's a talent for you right there. Also, you're very well written. That's not generally something that comes with age or experience, it's usually something you're gifted with. Hence, another talent.

Personally, I have a couple of talents I guess, though I hate praising myself even in the least so consider this a chance of a lifetime to see me do it. ;) Firstly I have a very strong memory when it comes to sense of directions. I usually apply it to games, Grand Theft Auto for instance. By the end of my first day playing it I had the whole city mapped in my head. Nobody I know can do that. Also I'm often told I'm a gifted cartoonist and writer, skills I've spent years building up but never use due to laziness. :laugh:

People also say I have a talent for stating the obvious... I'm not sure that counts though... ;)

Gadzoox
Dec 15th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I can draw and I can move my eyebrows independently from each other! ^^

LrdAlucard
Dec 16th, 2004, 02:17 AM
if someone starts a staring contest with me, im sure to win XD :roflmao: (not sure if thats a talent either loL)

GameMind
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
WOW! doughnut, I`m just like you.. yeah I`m sure! :shappy:
I mean I don`t know how to explain, but you`ve just said it all, I am not naturally good at anything, but I can be good at anything if I want to, and I`ll get to a level that every one will say to me that you are talanted, but in fact I`m not.. all I do is studing and working on it, and it don`t take too much time with me either.
I asked my Dad once about this matter.. he told me "you are a talanted in thinking" I think he is right.. If I was thinking about any thing, studing, figureing out how to solve a problem or a puzzel in a game etc.. I make it in less time than anyone that I know. :cool:
my be ppl like us are talanted in every thing, but as you said, isn`t naturally talanted at a basice thing.
Good to find someone in commont :party:

Hylas
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:33 PM
I've never seriously thought about it... now I realize I don't know if I have any talent. Sad, isn't it? I'm not sure I'm particularly good at anything, not more than average, so... :P

GameMind
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:12 PM
I've never seriously thought about it... now I realize I don't know if I have any talent. Sad, isn't it? I'm not sure I'm particularly good at anything, not more than average, so... :P
There is still time, I`m shure someday you`ll see you are good at some thing :D

Urahara Kisuke
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I guess I sort of have a talent of being pretty good at the arcade games. Other than that I am pretty average. If you count being weird as a talent, I have that too. <:)

Chara
Dec 16th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Nah, I realyl dont have that many talents. Well, nothing that I can really think of... I used ot be able to draw very well but that kidna went to hell as I grew older. Yea... I went backwards with that one.

I guess I could freestyle well, when I feel like it. I am also pretty decent with just about anything that requires creativity... but I am too technical with things to be a pretty good artist.

I am not even really good at studying... Hell, I am supposed ot be studying right now, and obviously I am not.

Piggle_humsy
Dec 16th, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hmm most of the talent in my family went to my sister but I suppose I have a few things..
I'm pretty good with movie knowledge.. and random facts that seem to store themselves in my head..unlike useful information like Life Saving skills. :sarcasm:
I'm a pretty good cook, When the cupboards are almost bare I still manage to mix something edible up. It just comes naturally to me.
I have a pretty good eye for Photography.
And I sing.
Both me and my sister have been blessed with the talent to sing without ever having singing lessons.
And I feel I need to point out (even though I hate to blow my own horn) I can actually sing and I'm not one of these people on these talent shows that are tone deaf but don't know it, Only problem is I'm not confident to do anything about it, even though a certain person keeps telling me to go do something about it.

I think that's as far as my talents stretch..

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

merylsilverburg
Dec 17th, 2004, 12:34 AM
My only 2 talents that I'm proud of is just drawing and good character judgement.

People say "Oh wow, I wish I can draw just like you!!" but these are people who merely say it and don't really have an interest in it. So, deep down, I don't feel happy with my drawing, but I must admit, I am proud that I actually developed the drawing skill.

My character judgement skill was just inherited from my mother, so I guess it's not really a "talent."

Hylas
Dec 17th, 2004, 11:47 AM
There is still time, I`m shure someday you`ll see you are good at some thing :D

Oh thanks! I hope you're right! :)

Infernal Mass
Dec 17th, 2004, 04:05 PM
BBQ grandmaster here. yes, I am known as the overlord of the grill! :chef:

I use those hickory smoke wood chips for flavor..and all sorts of spices and sauces too when i BBQ. even bought a big spatula this past summer with a knife edge on it. It kicks ass..but it's too cold to cook outside now :(

GameMind
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:50 PM
My only 2 talents that I'm proud of is just drawing and good character judgement.

People say "Oh wow, I wish I can draw just like you!!" but these are people who merely say it and don't really have an interest in it. So, deep down, I don't feel happy with my drawing, but I must admit, I am proud that I actually developed the drawing skill.

My character judgement skill was just inherited from my mother, so I guess it's not really a "talent."
hmm.. Donatello`s story! :laugh:

Piggle_humsy, I think you must take it serious, go to some one to devolope your talante, I hope you can do that, or may be someday you will be sorry for your self to bury your talante.. just don`t do my mistake :shame:
I`m good in football, let`s say not only the word good, but my friends always tell me I`m a rare talante, and like merylsilverburg case I don`t feel that I`m that good! but untill 2 years ago I`ve met some great coach in my city and he watched me playing, he was just like wow! I`ve never seen such talante! you know, I just can dribble like Ronaldinho, can do the both free kicks Carlos (with such power too) and Beck`s. :fold:
But the problem is Ive wasted this talante (I don`t know if it is a takante realy, caus eIve studied football, and studied those stars`s moves with some hard traning I can do like them), I was saying I wasted this football talante by my lazy personality :(. yes I`m very lazy.. that sin have just buried me! or may be I used it to bury myself. :shame:

Redpyramidhead
Dec 17th, 2004, 07:05 PM
This may make no sense. I know that if everyone studied, everyone would do better. However, I don't require vast amounts of study time. 1 or 2 hours usually suffice. After that, I'm set to go. Basically, if you throw anything at me, just gimme a quick bit and I will do it just fine.

This is my talent. To be able to study things and do many things quite efficiently. This is why people think I'm "smart," but I'm not smart like those people that just naturally understand things. I pick them up fast, but I need some time.

That's me! I am multi-so-so talented! :shappy:

Doesn't it suck? Bah. What about you guys? :)

Like you said, but didn't quite catch onto and grasped, was that your talent is actually tied right into your ability to learn. Therefore, I must come to the conclusion that your natural talent IS learning. Learning itself is your talent. If that were my talent I am sure I would be much further in life right about now. I would not put that talent down one bit, Mena. The ability to understand just about any brand new concept thrown your way to a point and beyond (if your poor head had more time XD) is an extraordinary gift. So yes, you are indeed intelligent like people say. Many people know how to do things more "naturally" but do not know why as much as say somebody who, like you, would understand the process involved inside and out. That, right there, is definately my definition of intelligence. Now don't make me prove you wrong for putting yourself down again :P LOL...you can't win!

BTW, that is one of my talents, I believe. Being empathethic to people and helping them understand what it is that is positive about them better, atleast from my eyes. Yeah, definately, I think I enjoy my talent to be able to listen to others and offer alternative points of view/suggestions/ways of looking at things to help them through, I suppose. OF course, most of the time I probably do much less good than I hope to, but considering my rate of failure to help others compared to the rate of most, I think I do relatively well.

That's another talent of mine. Communication. I would have to be good at it in order to do anything in writing and lyrics for my music, wouldn't I? PLus a good composer has to communicate subliminal concepts through the music itself to the listener.

Wait, there's my other talent. Musical composition. I'll get into that more later, though.

PEACE

_RED_ stuff

TtTackler
Dec 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Me? Being random and stupid..

GameMind
Dec 18th, 2004, 10:49 AM
lool

Keyblade Master
Dec 24th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I can...well I can't say then you'll laugh... :blush: