PDA

View Full Version : Kuon

merylsilverburg
Sep 14th, 2004, 12:40 PM
I was going to import this horror game from Japan until I found out it's going to be released in the US at the end of October. :disturb: I'm always late. :laugh: Anyway, I know there are a lot of horror fans on here so I thought I'd let you guys know what it's about a little in case some of you haven't heard of it yet.

Kuon means "Nine Grudges" in Japanese and the story takes place in Japan during the 11th century called the Heian Era. This era was the time when aristocrats were flourishing and literature was becoming more popular and status was shown through kimono combinations, obi (waist sash) colors, and layers. In the mountains, lived a father and his two daughters. The dad is a farmer, I think, and he goes off to work one morning and doesn't return by the evening. The two sisters decide to look for him and during their search, they come across a very large mansion with a huge door. The older sister goes closer to inspect and hears an odd song sung by children (eek!). She then goes inside the house and the younger one follows after her, but the older sister has disappeared.

Apparently, the game is supposed to have around 5 main characters with their own storyline. As you play through the game and explore the house, the 5 characters meet and interact in one huge overall story, but I think you play as each person to solve their own individual story. There are supposed to be ghosts (majority) and other frightening sights throughout the mansion.

Here is the JP cover:

Kuon (http://www.ncsxshop.com/images/products/large/0304/kuon.jpg)

The cover even has its own background: two sisters are playing near a cliff when the younger one decides to traverse down the side on a rope and try to reach the bottom of the cliff. The older sister holds the rope but lets go after being scared/surprised by two creepy little children. The younger sister falls to her death and snaps her neck. The older sister is apparently a playable character in the game...(so, I'm thinking the spirit of the younger sister has a grudge/resentment against her in the game...obviously!).

I don't know if this game is good, but I hope you guys found the story interesting. :)

goodman
Sep 14th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks for mentioning this, Meryl, its right up my alley! I notice its created by From Software, creators of the ClockTower series. Very interesting, i will be interested in hearing further info....

merylsilverburg
Sep 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Glad it appealed to you goodman! I'm not sure if this game would be quite as frightening as other games that have come out (like "Fatal Frame" or "Silent Hill") but hopefully it's not *too* cheesy like what some people said of "Siren". I would've seriously bought the import version, but I dunno if I want that cover in my game cabinet. *nervous laughter* :laugh:

merylsilverburg
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Gah, I hate to double post, but I couldn't edit my last message. I just have a correction to make: In the newest issue of PSM, they were talking about Kuon and they said there's supposed to be three main characters...not five, like what I said. Sorry for the misinformation! :right: