PDA

View Full Version : Im new to Final Fantasy...

davidk
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Hello everyone,
Im new to this forum and was just wondering if I could ask somthing...

Its my birthday in 2 weeks and I might get a PSone and LCD screen. Do FF games play well on the screen or is it too small. Im going to get FF6 (is it out in europe yet?)

Thanks,
davidk

davidk
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:14 AM
I just spotted that FF6 is out, and its only €15!

x157anz
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Yes FF6 is out in europe and its a gr8 game.i bought it for £10 as we dont have € in england :)

I reccomend if you get a psx you buy FF7 - Best FF by far m8 :)

davidk
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Ive played FF7 on my friends and i think its much better than 8 and 9. The cartoony look is better!

IcyMourdor
Mar 15th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the forums! Can you do me a favor and try not to double post, thanks.

FF should work fine with the PSone. FF6 is definatly worth your time as well as FF7.

Soul Angel
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:23 AM
FF6 is a great game to get as well as FF7 :D
I recommend getting both of them if possible

As for how well they will look on the PSone's LCD screen I can't honestly say since I haven't got one, but I wouldn't thought it would effect the game in anyway myself :)

EDIT: Btw welcome to the forums, its nice to have new members here :)

I'm Soul Angel
Have fun here and post lots!
And don't be afraid to ask for help because we are all nice and friendly people other here :)

davidk
Mar 15th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Im going to try and get FF6 -> FF9 and then get FF10 when its out. I cant wait for FF11 Online as I have Phantasy Star Online and thats a great game!

BlackThornn
Mar 15th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Apparently I'm in the really tiny minority.. I think FFVIII was the best FF... Heck, the best game like.. ever. *laughs*

All the games should work fine on the LCD screen, the text is large enough so that if you don't have poor vision you'll be able to see it. don't rely on me about this though. I don't have a PS One with or without the LCD screen.. I've got the good ol' big grey box. I just fiddled around with the LCD screen addon for the PS One in babbages.:)

(Edit- Welcome. :D )

Carlito
Mar 15th, 2002, 04:17 PM
BlackThornn I liked FF8 a lot too. It's probably a close second, after FF7, IMO. :D

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Get VII!! I want a psone and the screen just to take around with me but I'm not sure how it works. As for VIII, the only good thing so far comin outta that game is Seifer...I'm halfway through and I hope it gets better!

BlackThornn
Mar 15th, 2002, 06:52 PM
What disk are you at, Sword 4 Hire? IMO the plot really gets going at the end if the first disk. The Junctioning system takes a while to get used to, and you really need to play cards and refine items to make it work. You can't just draw a few spells from a badnik and expect to be godlike, eh? Try keeping a full stock of a few spells (just set the controller to "memory" and hold down x)

No offense, but if you've seen those GF animations too many times, you are doing two things wrong.. 1- you're using them too much, 2- You're not using boost.

Also, it might want to sound OCD, but you might want to start over. If it's you're first time through you're bound to have missed a bunch of stuff even if you had the strat guide right in front of you. Plus you'd get to see that kickass opening with Seifer and Squall dueling. :D

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 15th, 2002, 07:19 PM
I don't have a strategy guide so your more than likely right, I do use GF's too much because I don't have the items to get new weopons so I'm pathetically weak...I'm on disk 2 and Seifer has just attacked me with his Garden and I'm making my way to him but this stupid Cerebess or whatever it's called is whoopin the hell outta me, I am so not gettin the hang of this battle system.

BlackThornn
Mar 15th, 2002, 08:01 PM
Ah. :D Same happened with me first time I played. I got so beaten by Cerberus..

Go out and get the hintbook if you can, it's not cheating, this game is difficult to master, but well worth it when you do. ^_^

You really should start over. In addition to not using Guardian Forces excessively (only when you encounter a big monster or a boss monster) you should take the time to talk to people, explore the garden network in the beginning, for example. It's amazing all the little things and foreshadowing you can notice, really. If you can't get the strat guide but want some advice, I'll be glad to help. I'm like.. the FFVIII masta. :D

If you don't want to start over, get the book, or take advice, I'm gonna jam some down yer throat. ^_^ The key to beating Cerberus is to equip your characters with Thunder resistance, and make sure one of your characters has DISPEL in thier spell inventory, he's almost impossible to beat without that. (If you still have early game weapons, later in the game is only gonna get more difficult.. going to the forest in the canyon where Galbadia Garden was will probably net you a few of the items needed to remodel.. oh.. and play cards! It can make the game alot more enjoyable if you don't have to draw all your spells and get all your items from monsters! ^_^

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 16th, 2002, 02:26 PM
OK thanks:D

kupoartist
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:01 PM
FFVIII was my first, and it is a good game. Its just not particularly outstanding in any-way. Well except for the characters: especially Laguna :D

BlackThornn
Mar 16th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Well, that's your opinion, artist. I'm not gonna argue with you about it. You're right about the characters though, they're by far the best and most dynamic of the Final Fantasy cast so far. (You should have played FFVII first, so you could appreciate both the difference in graphics and gameplay from that. The Junction and battle systems are frustrating as hell at first, but once you get the hang of them you can see how innovative they were)

Macceh^
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:31 PM
it seems ff8 is just one of those things 50% of people adore and 50% hate. Me myself i liked ff8 i tought the storyline was outstanding kept me hooked was a very unorthadox (mind the spelling) love story. Mind you there were thinsg i disliked about ff8 possibly the junctioning system and the fact people follwoed you in the field.

Artist your right the characetrs were the most intricate to date because of the love aspect the game went depper into the characters thoughts and feelings, so you could really get into what the character is etc.

ps: Xistance please contact me need to speak to you!

kupoartist
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Hmm.. actually FFVIII's Love story is one of the better ones... (though apart from Zidane-Garnet and Locke-Celes I can't actually think of any good pairings..)

Macceh^
Mar 16th, 2002, 04:38 PM
aye i agread it is the best. The reason being it was the main focus of the plot :)

DragonSphere
Mar 17th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Yes, FFVIII was really good. Creative plot and excellent gameplay. It's just a pity that it is hated by many.