PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid: The Comic Book

merylsilverburg
Jul 16th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Well, I'm sure some people have heard already, but just in case for those who haven't...

There will be a comic book based on the Metal Gear series to be released in September. Here's the interview with the illustrator, Ashley Wood, from the August issue of "Official Playstation Magazine".

Official Playstation Magazine August 2004

If you're a comic book fan, chances are you're aware of the significance of Ashely Wood illustrating the new Metal Gear series for the IDW. Known for his dark, angular paintings that meld traditional techniques with digital photography, his work has been seen in books from every major publishing company. Essentially the poster child for dark, angular paintings as both covers and interiors in modern comics, he carries the torch for the kind of work pioneered by Dave McKean and Bill Sienkiewicz. Probably most famous for his Spawn covers, Wood is providing all of the art for the upcoming MGS series. We got him to put down his tools long enough to answer some probing questions.

OPM: As far as you know, is this an entirely new story or an interpretation of one of the games?

Ashley Wood: It starts with the first Metal Gear Solid and goes from there.

OPM: Kojima tells us that he's a big admirer of yours. Were you approached for this project, or did you ask for it?

AW: When [president of IDW] Ted Adams told me he was interested in publishing a Metal Gear Solid comic, I put my hand up. Well, truth is, I threatened to plant a slug in his frontal lobe unless I got the gig. Kojima liked my art, so it all went well. Lucky for Adams.

OPM: Were there any strict rules or guidelines you had to follow?

AW: Make it feel MGS! Make it feel MGS! And rightly so.

OPM: How does your work on MGS compare with your previous work (like Popbot)?

AW: Mmm, well Metal Gear Solid is an important book for me. I admire [its] creators, so I'm trying to raise myself up to what they've done.I don't really think, "Hmm, this is MGS; ahh, this is Popbot." I'm just trying to create the best possible work at any given time.

OPM: Most art for game-based comics is very traditional. Yours is looser and abstract. Will your art for MGS look a little more traditional?

AW: Well anyone that's seen Yoji Shinkawa's design work for Metal Gear will know it is edgy, shadow-driven, and very expressive in its nature. It's also brilliant. I am the same. [Laughs] But seriously, it's very close to the game, with my style added in. I'm following the original materials and the game. Long answer short; not abstract, but with abstract moments.

OPM: Since Kris Oprisko is handling the script, do you get to work with Kojima at all?

AW: When working on Metal Gear Solid, it's all Kojima; Kris and me are but his left and right hands. His ideas and influence are always there.

OPM: What is it about MGS that drew you to this project?

AW: I've always loved Konami and MGS, love the Yoji stuff. Plus, I'm hoping that this will lead to a Frogger gig. Fingers crossed!

OPM: Do you play any games? Do you have any particular favorites, besides MGS?

AW: I'm very fond of older games like Salamander, the arcade version of R-Type, and Nemesis.

OPM: What's your favorite scene in an MGS game?

AW: From Snake Eater, where Snake emerges from the river wearing a crocodile head. Game gold I tell ya, game gold.

Yeah, I can't wait to pick this up! :cool:

bigboss
Jul 16th, 2004, 01:27 PM
wow that sounds well good, I am no fan of comics myself but I will have to buy this. Cheers for pointing that out.

MakgSnake
Aug 2nd, 2004, 10:47 PM
I cannt wait for this. The visuals are a little too weird though. I dont care though. But still...........the story is going to be from Metal Gear Solid on PSone.....hmmmm......

I WANT NEW STUFF..

But yeah....I am going to be buying two copies of each issue, one to read and the other to treasure. Sweeeet.

Vic Viper
Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:03 PM
shinkawa isnt doing the artwork ..:boo:

MakgSnake
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM
shinkawa isnt doing the artwork ..:boo:
He is not, but him and Kojima, both are working very closely with these comics, to keep the quality of the game/comic high standard.

If you see the comic sample issue you will find it totally different then Yoji's work, but its different....very unique I would say.

Vic Viper
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:20 PM
where could i find some sample art work for the comics ?

merylsilverburg
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:10 AM
But yeah....I am going to be buying two copies of each issue, one to read and the other to treasure. Sweeeet.

Oh definitely! Buying two copies is the way to go, man. That way, you can ruin one of them and just admire and protect the other copy. :cool: Are we crazy or what? :laugh: