PDA

View Full Version : Forum's performance

Harry
May 8th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Hi,

we just wanted to have your feedback on the performance of the new forum's software. There are many control functions that can actually slow down this thing (and that we could turn off) when compared to the old version, so we wanted just to know your personal experience with it.

Thanks!

Hyuuga Neji
May 8th, 2004, 08:50 PM
It looks nice and runs fairly nice, haven't noticed too many slow downs on the software aspect. Keep up the good work harry.

Infernal Mass
May 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM
some of the changes are weird..

i've never seen a message board that places restrictions on editing my own posts..it doesn't feel right.

other than that i like the look of the main page and the forums. Everything looks better..

kupoartist
May 15th, 2004, 12:27 PM
i've never seen a message board that places restrictions on editing my own posts..it doesn't feel right.
Whilst I must admit that i've not seen it either, the difference between this message board and others is the people who post here. Elsewhere, problems with people who edit or even delete posts with the effect (intentional or otherwise) of seriously hindering the comprehendabilty of the thread may not have been enough to make the mods enforce a limit on edits. Personally, i'm no major fan of it either, especially as it contradicts the "no double posting" rule that is the norm around here, and mainly because i've never deleted or edited a post for no logical reason... but because some may do this, perhaps its for the best...

As for the topic of this thread... I've not seen any performance issues... but perhaps after using dial-up for so long and coming to ADSL, my perception of "fast" is simply anything above "keyboard smashingly slow".

Rei
May 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM

It happened some members abused of the editing feature in the past and we had some other members, also moderators, complaining about this. That's why the restrictions.

Redpyramidhead
May 19th, 2004, 01:30 AM
The bugs warned about in the announcements doesnt seem to cover this so I am posting this. Something seriously strange is happening here. I am not even sure if this thread will be posted due to the wierd trouble I have been having the last few days. I want to know if anybody else has been experiencing this.
The first problem is noticeable right away. When I post something under a thread it does not list my user name (Redpyramidhead, of course) as the last poster in that thread and send that thread to the top of the list, acting much like it never happened. The problem doesn't seem to correct itself over time, either. Also, (and this is the most maddening if you can imagine) I have come back to the forums several times to find that things I posted earlier are no longer there as if they never existed. Also, there was a new thread started by Lost_Myth in Fan Fiction in which I posted and upon my next visit, not only was my post gone, but so was the entire thread! And finally, I keep recieving the same PM over and over again as if the systen doesn't remember me recieving it. I do not complain often because I feel this is an incredible forum and it has not given me any trouble in the past, but when I start to feel like I may be invisible I get very paranoid. It is part of my personality...heh. The most disturbing part about this is I have not noticed any similar complaints from anybody else. Thanks for any help you can offer me. I would like to be able to continue to contribute unninterrupted in this forums in the future because I love them so much!

_RED_ stuff

Carlito
May 19th, 2004, 08:52 AM
It happened some members abused of the editing feature in the past and we had some other members, also moderators, complaining about this. That's why the restrictions.

Let me add... some people HEAVILY abused of the editing feature.

Redpyramidhead
May 21st, 2004, 01:06 AM
May I ask how exactly they abused the edit feature so heavily? Curiosity has got the better of me on this subject. I can't imagine somebody spending that kind of time going back to old posts and editing them to such an extent to cause issues that often. unless they were so bored they felt like playing senseless games with the other member's heads. I guess randomly deleting old posts of yours would be a silly thing to do and quite annoying, disturbing the flow of threads. Wait, I think I answered my own question. It's just that when Carlito says "heavily abusing" the edit feature, I start to wonder what is meant by that. blah blah rant rant... listen to me again...never knowing when to stop...

_RED_ stuff

Pu the Owl
May 21st, 2004, 04:05 AM
Wait, I think I answered my own question.

Yes, you did. That was exactly the kind of question I had in mind before replying :lmao:

Infernal Mass
May 21st, 2004, 05:59 AM
a good example of how the no edit feature contridicts the double posting rule is evident in the action adventure forum.

exhibit A: If i may direct your attention to that forum for one moment..

http://forums.ps2fantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

there are 2 topics on SIREN on the first page..the first was berserker's then Redpyramidhead made one. This sort of anarchy is inevitable though once the edit featue is gone..just as with everthing. Once one problem is solved another arises to take it's place.

it is with this information that i have come to a reasonable conclusion. There are unforeseen forces at work here..but don't worry i think i may know who is responsible..

http://www.yamoslair.com/pics/mrt.jpg

kupoartist
May 21st, 2004, 09:07 AM
there are 2 topics on SIREN on the first page..the first was berserker's then Redpyramidhead made one. This sort of anarchy is inevitable though once the edit featue is gone..just as with everthing. Once one problem is solved another arises to take it's place.
I think thats an unfair example, because regardless of a non-edit rule. Red would have posted his thread 1 and a half months after the creation of the first, like he did when there was an edit function in place. Regardless of an editing feature, the mods would decide to do something about it if they saw fit (like mergeing the two), but as it is, they didn't see why they should go to the trouble. Of course, i do see where you're coming from, but i'm off the attitude that its currently ok to double post, so long its been a couple of days or so. If the mods don't like it, they can merge your posts :)

Hyuga
May 21st, 2004, 10:51 AM
since i stayed in line the velocity is really good :roflmao:
thanks to Harry the service is the best, thank you

Rei
May 21st, 2004, 03:38 PM
a good example of how the no edit feature contridicts the double posting rule is evident in the action adventure forum.

exhibit A: If i may direct your attention to that forum for one moment..

http://forums.ps2fantasy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

This has nothing to do with the possibility to edit posts. In cases like this one, you should just report the problem to a moderator.