PDA

View Full Version : Status on Hollywood Films

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
What do you guys think of the status of Hollywood films? What I mean is....do you think that one day, Hollywood would just flop out of the blue? Why I'm thinking this is because many themes have already been used: Crime, drugs, money, bombing, and the fad "martial arts", etc. It seems that Hollywood filmmakers are running out of ideas for new and fresh movies. Which is why (at least it seems to me) there are beginning to be so many movies based on game plots. I mean, think about it, there's the Resident Evil movie, the Tomb Raider movie, and I heard there was going to be a Crazy Taxi movie(!), SOE movie, Soul Calibur, and Tekken. And who knows? Maybe a MGS movie. Plus, there are so many really dumb films out, like "Orange County" (what the hell is that?!) or "Not Another Teenage Movie" and a few others that make me just go :peoples:. Maybe this is a dumb thread, but my sister and I just think that Hollywood is gonna go down the drain big time. What do you guys think?

talon101
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:45 PM
i dont really get what ur saying
but game movies r really good i lkie them
thay should make a movie on the story of an ff game
instead of make up a new one like FFTSW

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Ha, ha....I knew I didn't make sense. What I'm basically saying is, I think that Hollywood will soon run out of ideas for movies, then that's it! No more! Because all the ideas have been used. I mean, I remember a long time ago there used to be so many good movies unlike the dumb ones that we have now, but have you noticed that the movies basically have the same plot over and over again? And because everyone is tired of that, they're turning to games for ideas. But then, after the "game" fad....what is Hollywood going to do next?

BowevelJoe
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:08 PM
yeah it seems that way, alot of films these days that are coming out suck ass big time, they are making films about wars and such, but nothing "new" has came out in along time that was acually any good..maybe later this year eh? its all 2 of something, movie 2 or 3, bah, sequals suck 85% of the time..

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by BowevelJoe
yeah it seems that way, alot of films these days that are coming out suck ass big time, they are making films about wars and such, but nothing "new" has came out in along time that was acually any good..maybe later this year eh? its all 2 of something, movie 2 or 3, bah, sequals suck 85% of the time..

Yes! I know, there are so many war films. Everytime I turn on the TV there's this new film about war, there's another, and another! Only because that's the latest "fad" going around because of the Sept. 11 thing. I mean, that's cool and all but what happens after that? What are they going to move on to? Before, it was the whole martial arts thing, like Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which I thought was an incredibly STUPID movie. I hated it so much. And also, Disney. Disney is completely going down the drain now. Like their sequel "Peter Pan: Return to Neverland"? That's the dumbest sequel I think.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:17 PM
I dont think hollywood will ever run out of ideas.There is so much out there.I mean so many story's that people think of that would make great movies.As for video game movies i dont know what to say even though im going to see the RE one

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:24 PM
I certainly hope that Hollywood doesn't run out of ideas. But, it just seems that way because of all the dumb movies for teens that are coming out. There used to be nothing like that (well, none that I know of). I just think that Hollywood is turning to games for movies. Which is pretty cool, but you know, some "game movies" seems to turn out bad. Like, Tomb Raider and Final Fantasy, even though that's not exactly based on FF.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Good example of a stupid teen movie "Slackers"

BowevelJoe
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
aye, way to many, BUT the reason why so many war films came out at once is because they were held back, they were supposed to be released later of 2001, and after that happend they postponed them because of those tragic events, thats why so many flooded out at once...

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Oh God, I know. What the hell is the point of that movie?!

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by BowevelJoe
aye, way to many, BUT the reason why so many war films came out at once is because they were held back, they were supposed to be released later of 2001, and after that happend they postponed them because of those tragic events, thats why so many flooded out at once...

That's pretty understandable, but yet, some people just wouldn't let it go! If all these war movies keep coming out, then people would never begin to slowly let go. The movies will keep the events fresh in their minds. Don't you think that if people let it go and think of the future, it'll show that America is strong? Wait. Is that why there are so many retarded teen movies? Just to let people have a good laugh and forget those events? If so....then those movies are not helping because they aren't funny.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Oh God, I know. What the hell is the point of that movie?!

Slackers!!!! some people making idiots of themselves

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Exactly. If we're gonna watch a film about dorks making asses outta themselves, we might as well go do it ourselves instead of paying to watch crap like that. See, that's what I'm talking about! If Hollywood keeps making retarded films like these, they're gonna die!

Pu the Owl
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Hollywood movies are terribly repetitive.
I'd save only few of them and the rest is just trash producers use to earn money without troubles and without spending much time on thinking of something new.
That happens mainly because the greatest part of the audience is easily pleased by every crappy story and it find pleasure in the repetition of situations and clichés.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:49 PM
I totally agree that Hollywood recycles the same movies over and over again, but I highly doubt they'll flop. So many people in the US and around the world are movie freaks just like we love games. One thing they have been doing a lot lately is remaking movies. Or even worse, saying that it's ET's 20th anniversary so they have to come out with it in the theaters and make millions again. A whole new generation of film lovers are growing up, and maybe they haven't seen some of the old movies.

Also, there are a lot of very very creative directors and producers out there, not necessarily from Hollywood. here are some great movies that I love.

Memento
Fight Club
American beauty
Pi
Requiem For A Dream
American Psycho (new version)
Blow
Gladiator
The Shawshank Redemption
SE7EN
American History X
Full Metal Jacket

if anyone's looking for something different, I suggest you watch those!!

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 11th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Another great master piece that is incredibly original is Face/off

Cannibal Clown
Mar 11th, 2002, 05:04 PM
I've seen how many of todays movies seem to be real gay spinn offs of other movies or sequals or just ideas taken from other movies with different actors. That's probally why so many movies these days seem to be comedies that aren't any good or don't have a plot and is just a bunch of silly humor. The movie industry has gone hill in the last few years, especially with the unbelievably lame sequals that have come out recently, from real great films like Jurrasic Park to its third movie which totally sucked, to the classic cartoons like the little mermaid with its new sequal which was just retarded.

But on the brighter note, the cartooning industry has gotten much better, and I'm not just talking about anime, cartoons have gotten a lot more freedom lately to put in a lot more adult material and more complicated themes that before, starting with Antz, and Titan AE, along with Prince of Egypt. All of those were ground breakers that went to a new extreem when it came to edgyness, realism, and sci fi themes.

Just as long as the japanimation industry doesn't go under i'm fine though.

merylsilverburg
Mar 12th, 2002, 06:40 PM
I just think the cartoon thing is getting popular BECAUSE of anime. I mean, when I was in 6th grade, anime was like crap. "What's that?" "Oh wow! Your drawings look like Barbie!!" or my ultimate favorite...." Um....your drawings are good, but they have big eyes and are really tall and....they kinda look slutty" But, now....it's like, "Oh cool! That chick you're drawing is from Sailormoon!" (When it's not). So, now...anime is more recognized and that's why the cartoon industry is getting popular. I just heard that Disney just recently licensed Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away). That anime is from Studio Ghibbi/Hayao Miyazaki, the same as Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke). Can you guys believe that? Disney. :peoples:

Cannibal Clown
Mar 13th, 2002, 04:32 PM
I recently heard about Princess Mononoke myself and was real excited. A while ago, I also found out that Hong Kong is making a high budget film of Initial D staring Jacky Chan! How cool is that!

merylsilverburg
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Mononoke Hime is really good. When the DVD came out, I snagged it. Now, I'm really excited about Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi. I've seen the pics and they look really good too. I got a cool 2002 calender included in an Japanese Anime Mag. The drawings look really smooth, just like Mononoke Hime. But, why Disney?

Reid
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Well, I don't think Hollywood will die as long as their are enough people to pump money into bad flicks.

A good place to find good movies are local film festivals.

Near where I live we have the Toronto Film Festival where tons of great movies come in.

merylsilverburg
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:37 PM
You're lucky, Reid. I wish I had that in my town...the films always sound so interesting...

Reid
Mar 13th, 2002, 08:55 PM
Well, if you live close to any big city you should try to see if they have any sort of film festival.

Either that or check around any indie movie stores and try to discover some other new good flicks.

BowevelJoe
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:04 AM
aye, im small town too so no film festivals for me either lol, but hey, the internet is all ya need, get ya a sweet server and start dl stuff lol...tis what i do..lol

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 14th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Yeah bowevel is right i found all kinds of different movies online for free.And there the complete versions.