PDA

View Full Version : New Snake Eater details !!

Vic Viper
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM
the article was pretty long so you have to go to the link, HERE (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/499/499241p1.html).

few pics of the camo outfits,
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_embed022.jpg (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_screen022.jpg) http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_embed026.jpg (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_screen026.jpg)
http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_embed021.jpg (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_screen021.jpg) http://img.gamespot.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_embed019.jpg (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/reviews/914828_20040316_screen019.jpg)

man, i cant wait to try out this new camo index and stamina system.:cool:

Vic Viper
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Q: You mentioned that Snake loses stamina when in stalking mode, I wondered if you could talk more about the stamina system.

A: That's something we'd like to reveal at E3. Basically, when you walk around in the mountains and you have to climb, you lose stamina, and you have to regain stamina by feeding yourself. One thing you can do in the game is take off the shirt -- wear no camo pattern -- and if you walk around like that you're more likely to lose body temperature and lose stamina.

Q: Is there a consideration for when you're seen, the camouflage index versus the distance from the enemy?

A: Although it is 100%, the enemies do have vision, so if they're really close to you, they'll notice something is wrong, it doesn't look like a tree or something, so then they'll come closer and then they'll spot you.

Q: Are there different types of enemies, human or otherwise? Will there be a difference in how they perceive camouflage indexes?

A: The number only applies to human enemies. There are no camo indexes shown on the screen for animals, but if you want to capture a bird, it's better to be at a higher camo index, blending into the background, so that the bird doesn't see you.

Q: Can you talk about any plans for a pre-release demo for MGS3, and if there are, when we might see it?

A: I really don't know, but there probably will be a time for us to do that.

Q: The hiding part of it extends to Snake, but is there also consideration for hiding bodies, can you use camouflage on bodies? Does your weapon noise factor in?

A: For bodies, you can hide them in the grass, hide them in holes or tree trunks, and you can also carry them to streams or rivers. As for cutting down on the noise, not necessarily weapons, but we want you to make use of the stalking, to walk around slowly and not make any noise. We'll be able to show you more of that at E3.

One thing about the camo uniforms, if you get shot or wounded, there'll be bloodstains, and then your camo pattern will have red stuff on it, and your camo index will go down.

Q: In the movies we saw before this, Snake makes use of his camo to hide, but will there also be enemies in the game that make better use of their own camouflage?

A: Not the typical enemies, but the bosses in the game will be using a lot of different techniques. Again, if I speak more of this, I'll get killed a third time...

Q: In the Twin Snakes, the cutscenes were more stylized. Are you taking that approach with Metal Gear 3?

A: The Twin Snakes demos were done by Ryuhei Kitamura, but for the Snake Eater polygon demos, I'll be working on them myself, so they'll be very Kojima-esque.

Q: On the official website, it mentions there are mountains and streams but also deserts. If there are deserts, what can we expect from them. Also, what kind of animals can you eat and how will that affect your health?

A: It's more like rocky places with no grass -- gameplay-wise, we can't talk about that. We might be showing some scenes from that kind of environment at E3.

There'll be scenes in the game where there'll be fire in the background, or you can light fire in certain spots, so if you wear the fire pattern there, you'll blend in. Snow pattern, of course, there'll be some snowy areas in the game -- that's why we threw that in there. Basically, camouflage is the key part of the stealth gameplay, but it's a passive thing, too. If you want to be a macho, hard-boiled guy like "I'm not going to wear anything," then you don't have to wear any camo. You can just walk around with no t-shirt, and play it your way.

merylsilverburg
Mar 16th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Vic Viper

man, i cant wait to try out this new camo index and stamina system.:cool:

Me too. It sounds so cool and challenging! Man, I want this game so bad! Arggh! :scream: Thanks for the article Vic!

I'm not sure if anyone knows this but on the inside of the "Snake Eater" Promo folder, there is a list of camo patterns:

Woodland, Leaf pattern, Tiger Stripe, Choco Chip, Coffee Stain, Desert Tiger, MARPAT (have no idea what this is), Digital Camo, DPM, Schofield pattern, Lizard pattern, Water pattern, Amoeba, Rock pattern, Sahara, Oak leaf pattern, Pea pattern, Ecuador, Palmtree pattern, Rhodesian, Urban, Reed, Splinter pattern, Panther pattern, AUSCAM pattern, KLMK, VSR

I'm not sure if all of the ones above are going to make it into the game or if some of them are even patterns at all. After this list, there is a list of snake names, so I'm not sure if these are patterns as well (Snake patterns, ha ha) but here they are:

Viper, Adder, Sidewinder, Bushmaster, Anaconda, Cobra, Python, Copperhead, Mamushi, Mamba, Krait, Habu, Taipan, Cottonmouth, Lancehead

Vulcan Raven
Mar 16th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah, Can't Wait for Snake Eater.

Its Looking even more Complex and Sophisticated than the other Installments. Which is good, as it will improve the overall Gaming Exprience..I just hope under all that hard work on the Systems and Graphics..they made the game a little longer than MGS2!

~Vulcan~

Vic Viper
Mar 19th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Question: You mentioned that the game will feature downloadable camouflage outfits. Are there any further thoughts on any additional online features for the game?

Hideo Kojima: As for this game, the downloadable outfits are pretty much all that will be geared towards online capability.

Question: It looked like the camouflage index has replaced the radar, is this is case?

HK: There are several types of radars in the game. When you start off the game you will have a radar, but throughout the course of playing you’ll basically switch between the radar and the stealth index. It’s your choice to use either one.

Question: You mentioned that Snake loses stamina while he’s in stalking mode. Could you talk more about the stamina system and how it works?

HK: That will be something that we reveal at E3. Basically when you walk around the mountains and need to climb, you’ll lose stamina which you’ll need to recover by feeding yourself. One thing that you can do is take off your shirt and wear no outfit, but you’re more likely to lose stamina doing that.

Question: AT E3 you said that Snake parachutes into the jungle environment and loses all his items, and it appears that you seem to start off the game with very little. When Snake goes about playing the game, where does he get these outfits and does he change them in real time?

HK: I don’t know if I should be talking about this, my guys back home will probably kill me. But, you lose your backpack in the beginning and try to find it first and that’s how it begins. And initially, you don’t have many camo patterns to use, so throughout the course of the game you’ll be acquiring them. And, you can switch through them at any time.

Question: At TGS you weren’t ready to address how Snake could be in the 1960’s. Could we get anymore information on that?

HK: I’m sure your imagination is correct, but I’m sure we’ll be able to talk about it more at E3. One thing I can say for sure is that he hasn’t hopped onto a time machine and traveled back in time.

Question: Will the downloadable camo outfits submitted by fans be judged on their overall effectiveness in the game? Or will that not matter?

HK: I think we’ll be accepting three kinds of outfits. One of them is effectiveness in the game, the second will be the funny ones. Third will be the “cool” looking ones, regardless of whether or not they’re effective. What we want is very interesting ideas. One idea we had that we dropped from the game was the “bloody” camo, which was an outfit with fake blood and sword wounds. When you wore it made you look like a corpse and would fool enemies into leaving you alone.

Question: In the first two games, if you were spotted you could always run away and hide. But here, the environments seem so big. If you’re spotted, what can you do?

HK: It really depends on where you are, that’s all I can say now.

Question: What were some of the key design challenges you faced when implementing the camouflage feature?

HK: It’s not a technical challenge. The thing was when you try to be true to the whole mechanism of camouflage, you end up not being able to see the enemy at all or able to see yourself on the screen. It’s very hard to play when you can’t see yourself, but we don’t want to place a little cursor over your head. So, we’re still trying to tweak the whole system so that you can see yourself but the camo also still works.

Question: Are there elements in the environment where you have to worry about the signs of your passage, such as footprints or the shrubbery showing that you’ve been there?

HK: If you’re walking on solid spots, there will be no footprints. But if you’re walking in damp areas like mud, there will be footprints so you’ll need to be careful. As for the grass, it does split when you walk through it but it will go back. What you need to be careful about is the sound of walking through it. And grass spots are the easiest spots to hide yourself, but you can find snakes in there so you’ll need to be careful.

Question: Can you talk about any plans for a pre-release playable demo for the game, or if there are plans for that?

HK: I really don’t know, but there probably will be a time for us to do that.

Question: Intro’s are getting more and more sophisticated. Kyle Cooper did the intro in MGS. Can you tell us anything about the game’s introductory sequences?

HK: First of all yes, we’re working with Mr. Cooper again. Again, if I start talking about this my guys will kill me again. But I’ll mention it anyways. When I worked with him last time, the original plan was for him to come up with something that was not non-interactive, something where you could actually move and place things while you were watching the intro. That’s something that we are working on for this one. If you choose not to push any buttons and do anything the introduction will be a piece of art. But if you do want to play around with it, you can use the PS2 controller and press buttons to actually change stuff on the screen during the introduction.

Question: How much of a random element is there to the camo index? Say you’re in a situation at 55 percent is it possible that one time an enemy will pass by and see you, while another time they may just pass you by?

HK: That number is just where you are, what you’re wearing, and what posture you in. I guess then that it’s not a random thing. But if an enemy is close by he’ll see you. Let’s say my camo index is 55 percent. A guy right here (points to an attendee) is one enemy and the camera back in the back of the room is another enemy. I’ll probably see Snake when I’m the close enemy, but not as the far away one. But, if my index is at 100 percent, both enemies will not see him.

Question: Could you explain the fire patterns for outfits?

HK: There will be scenes in the game where there will be fire in the background or where you can actually light and start your own fires. So, if you wear the fire outfit, you can blend into the fire background. And, there will be a snow pattern for snowy areas in the game. Basically, camouflage is the key part of the stealth gameplay, but it’s also a fashion thing, too. If you want to be a macho guy and not wear anything, you can do that and play the game your way.

linky (http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200403/N04.0316.1247.56834.htm)

Vic Viper
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:50 PM
Konami of Europe details the new close quarter combat mechanism that will appear in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. New screens inside.

Konami of Europe has today released new information concerning the new close quarter combat (CQC) system that will appear in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Developed in association with the series' military advisor, Motosada Mori, the CQC system will allow players to employ hand-to-hand combat techniques in addition to the weapons-based combat usually associated with the Metal Gear series.

The CQC system will boast a large number of authentic military moves and techniques, and allow players to fight with multiple enemies simultaneously. The system will come into effect automatically when players enter a combat situation unarmed, or carrying a knife or handgun. When used in conjunction with the camouflage index detailed in our recent preview, the CQC system will allow players to physically take out many of the guards that patrol the game's locales without risking discovery by firing a gun.

To ensure that the CQC moves are carried out seamlessly and smoothly, Kojima-san and the rest of the Snake Eater development team have employed ground-breaking motion-capture systems and techniques. One key innovation, which has been used previously in movies, was to employ a trampoline and controlled air pressures during the sessions to accurately recreate the effects of explosions on unsuspecting victims.

:cool:

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 31st, 2004, 03:44 PM
So apparently Mr.Snake will have a whole lot of new moves in his arsenal. Sounds intriguing. Hopefully they really give him a lot of ability's, the whole punch, punch, kick and the roll wasn't much for close quarter combat.

Vic Viper
Mar 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM
here (http://www.jeux-france.com/news3902.html) , you guys can check out some screenshoots of snake in action, theres also some motion capture pics and art illustration of big boss.:ghost:

Vic Viper
Apr 9th, 2004, 04:17 AM
http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/english/camouflage.html

you guys must check it out, its freaking amazing !!! :arrr:

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 10th, 2004, 11:10 PM
The AI scares me. I mean Snakes right in front of the damm guards.

merylsilverburg
Apr 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM
The AI scares me. I mean Snakes right in front of the damm guards.

Wait, are you saying you're scared of the AI because they're stupid or because they're tougher? Of course considering Snake is 100% camouflaged, Kojima did say the guards would never see you.

The trailer was so amazing...I couldn't download it all the way though (connection failed :disturb: ) but I really like it! Though, somehow I didn't expect the camo change to actually have images to show which camo you changed into, as fast as it may have been. I just expected with a tap of the button, you would just change right there on the screen with a little message popping up or something. Anyway, the enviroment looks fantastic and so realistic! Especially the way the grass moved when Snake was crawling through it. :cool:

Vic Viper
Apr 11th, 2004, 10:20 AM
[color=black]
The trailer was so amazing...I couldn't download it all the way though (connection failed :disturb: ) [color]

thats what happen to me when i was downloading it the first time, try dl of IGN (http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/536/536086/vids_1.html) the ending was the best part of the trailer. :lmao:

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I mean the AI seems stupid all together. I know its a video game and all but still Snake is right in front of those fools and they can't spot him.

TtTackler
Apr 13th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I mean the AI seems stupid all together. I know its a video game and all but still Snake is right in front of those fools and they can't spot him.

They can't spot him because of the camo, which is the point of the whole system. As seen in the camo trailer video, even if you are at 90% index guards will still be able to see you if they get close enough.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM
There was no cammo that was that good in the 60's, plus are you telling me if you saw a big ass parting in the grass in the shape of a body you wouldnt be the least bit suspicious. I mean Snakes right in front of them. The guards seem to be more blind than the ones in the past games.

TtTackler
Apr 13th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Who cares if there was camo that good or not? Its a video game, I don't remember any huge robots that weild nukes during that time either.

Also, I believe the guard is looking straight forward, not straight down. I no longer have the video on my computer so I can't double check. With the grass camo on, the guard could look down and just think he is seeing more grass down there. Although far-fetched, that is the point of camo, and its just a video game so it doesn't have to be 100% realistic.

This video was also just to show how the camo system works, in the final game Hideo may have it tweaked to have the guards even more-so thorough with their searches. However, I don't remember how drastically the grass moves apart in the video as well..I'll check it out tomorrow.

merylsilverburg
Apr 23rd, 2004, 03:05 AM
Thanks for answering my question, Il. :) Anyway, I do kinda agree with you about the A.I. intelligence. It's true; if a guard did see/hear something in grass and went to check it out, it's likely they would see parted or flattened grass in the ground. It is kinda ridiculous in real life but I don't mind particularly because it's a videogame. It doesn't bother me too much. :)

MakgSnake
Apr 24th, 2004, 12:45 PM
I think all this Camo idea is awesome. But its just that I wouldn't like to change his cloths...in a fly. I mean...if I change from one Camo outfit to another, I would wanna see Snake going into the woods and changing cloths...or in the bushes, or hear a sound effect of changing cloths.

Not like...how we switch guns in the game. Changing outfits like that is so unrealistic. But thats me. But I like the idea. I think its very cool and would give the game a new edge of gameplay.

Oh by the way, hi guys.. long time no see eh.

Vic Viper
Apr 24th, 2004, 08:10 PM
hows it going makg, where have you been, man :confused:

MakgSnake
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Sister's wedding in Pakistan. So had a lot of work and stuff to do. Thats why I didn't come on this site, infact I was never on the internet for the past few weeks....and all.

But now I am here.....and trying my best to post as much as possible with informative and nice posts.

Good to see you Vic..... :)

nanjij
May 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM
This new system remind me of splinter cell.
Those who havent played it you have a little gauge in the corner displaying the light in the area.
Not thats theres anything wrong with that but it doesnt sound too original.

Good to hear from u makg, i been away for a long time :)

Uchiha Sasuke
May 18th, 2004, 02:22 PM
This new system remind me of splinter cell.
Those who havent played it you have a little gauge in the corner displaying the light in the area.
Not thats theres anything wrong with that but it doesnt sound too original.

Good to hear from u makg, i been away for a long time :)

Yeah you make a point Nanjij. It seems that the new MGS will implement a Splinter Cell type style in the new game. But its not a bad thing :)

Vic Viper
Jun 17th, 2004, 10:37 PM
there's also some pics of new camo designs, check em out.. :ghost:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040618/mgs3.htm

dan da man
Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:20 AM
Wow, I haven't seen nothing of MGS3 from last year, the stuff I've scanned through on snake eater is this forum is amazing, im going to get blown away when I play it. Also the graphics are best I've seen man, whoa.

Vic Viper
Jul 13th, 2004, 10:20 AM
to those people who didnt see the e3 video here are all of the screen captures from the e3 04 video.

http://www.videogamerx.net/bbs/view.php?id=vx01&no=7012

bigboss
Jul 14th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Think about it though, what is the point in the camo if it doesnt protect you from close up guards. can you honestly say you have ever seen better AI or that there would be any point in the whole thing if people saw you even with 100% camoflage. No !! Although on the other hand, Maybe they could make it more realistic if some guards did see you but you had an effective way of doing something about it like if you are next to a wall and a guard sees you you could wait for him to approach and then smash his head against the wall like you had planned the whole thing as a trap but then what is the point in useing camo if you could just bat someone in the face on their approach. You gotta get a balance and that is exactly what kojima has done

Vic Viper
Jul 30th, 2004, 03:11 PM
http://www.videogamerx.net/bbs/view.php?id=vx01&no=7244

Vic Viper
Aug 9th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Gamers who missed its debut at this year's E3 will have a chance to play Metal Gear Solid 3 fairly soon. The Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine will feature a playable version of Konami's latest espionage adventure on the demo DVD enclosed with the November issue, due to hit subscribers and newsstands in early October.

The PlayStation Magazine demo will be roughly similar in content to the version E3-goers checked out earlier this year, offering a substantial selection of forest, swamp, and more civilized environments to sneak in, as well as a complete loadout of weapons and equipment for field testing. Also on display, of course, will be the striking cinematics of Snake's HALO jump into Soviet territory.

1up (http://appsrv-2.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3133804)

yay !! :pirate:

merylsilverburg
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Alright! Excited about that! Unfortunately, with my luck my OPM issue will come late or get lost or they'll ask me to "re-subscribe" again. :sarcasm: (They send me a re-subscription letter, like, every two months...what is wrong with them? :peoples: )

Vic Viper
Aug 20th, 2004, 12:11 PM
its at the very top one, the one that says GC 2004 trailer.

http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/japanese/video_clips_main.html

:love:

:edit: i just found the english version of the trailer..guess whos back doing Big Boss's voice..:D

http://media.planetmgs.com/trailers/mgs3_gc2004_e.zip

Vic Viper
Aug 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM
TOKYO--Konami today announced the details on its limited-edition package of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, which will be released in Japan simultaneously with the launch of the normal edition. The list of items that will be included in the limited-edition package are as follows:

- Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater game disc
- Two special-edition booklets
- Special bonus footage DVD
- 1/144-scale displayable model figure (prepainted)

The limited-edition package will retail at the price of 13,440 yen ($123), while the normal edition will retail at 7,329 yen ($67). Both editions will be eligible for the preorder bonus DVD that comes with six soundtracks, a music video clip, and a screensaver for Windows. The preorder bonus disc can also be used to unlock a special camouflage costume pattern for Snake.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/27/news_6105890.html

damn it japanese always gets the good stuff, i wish konami would release it over here. :(

Daniel Legge
Aug 28th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know the UK relese date as i heard it was March 2005 and i dont want to wait that long?

Vic Viper
Sep 22nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
They're called "Cobra".

"The End" (http://ranobe.com/up/updata/up7106.jpg) is an old man with a shaved head, a white beard, and a parrot on his shoulder.

"The Pain" (http://tinyurl.com/6xucs) wears a yellow and black striped uniform and has a backpack of the same colors.

"The Fury" (http://tinyurl.com/4y8uy) wears a dark space suit. You can't see his face.

"The Fear" (http://tinyurl.com/5l549) kinda looks like Spider-Man, and apparently uses a bowgun.

"The Sorrow" (http://tinyurl.com/5dsdh) has glasses. Some blood is flowing from one of his eyes.

thanks to the guys at Gamefaqs (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=2000175&topic=16457363)

merylsilverburg
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I couldn't see "The End" but I saw the others. "The Pain" doesn't look very interesting...the rest are okay but I think the best one is "The Sorrow". He looks badass. :D

Vic Viper
Sep 24th, 2004, 11:31 AM
the "end"

http://tinyurl.com/4w8wx

he's just some old fart with a parrot on his shoulder..

Vic Viper
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM
video of Ape Escape mini game (http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/536/536086/vids_1.html?fromint=1) in MGS 3. :laugh:

screenshoots (http://www.konamijpn.com/mgs/japanese/news_040924_01.html) :smirk:

Vic Viper
Sep 24th, 2004, 12:35 PM
if you guys check out the MGS 3 site (http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/english/index.html), i notice that THE BOSS is also a member of the Cobra Unit. shes probably the leader of the unit.:smirk:

merylsilverburg
Sep 24th, 2004, 05:40 PM
the "end"

http://tinyurl.com/4w8wx

he's just some old fart with a parrot on his shoulder..
Hehe, never underestimate the old ones. This "old fart" may actually be the most skilled of the bunch. ;) I'm quite intrigued by his parrot...he looks blind, so he may use the parrot as his "eyes" in order for him to shoot the sniper rifle he's holding. Or the parrot may actually say where the targets are. Like, "SQUAWK! One o' clock! SQUAWK!" :D

The Ape Escape mini-game...hilarious!! Omg, that is so excellent...I can't wait, Ape Escape is a favorite game of mine...now, it's like the best of both worlds in one. :cool:

Vic Viper
Sep 25th, 2004, 10:07 AM
screenshots (http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20040925/mgs.htm) from konami press conference at the tokyo game show. :happy:

merylsilverburg
Sep 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know the UK relese date as i heard it was March 2005 and i dont want to wait that long?
December 31, the same as Japan. The US gets it earlier, November 1, aren't we lucky, oh ho ho ho. j/k :laugh:

Vic Viper
Oct 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM
http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/english/index.html

just go to the "game system" then "cure" to read all about this new feature. check it out. :crockett:

merylsilverburg
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:49 AM
http://www.konamijpn.com/products/mgs3/english/index.html

just go to the "game system" then "cure" to read all about this new feature. check it out. :crockett:
Yes! I was wondering what this "Cure" thing was all about...I was checking out the "MGS 3: The Countdown" book (a Japanese book with supposedly "Top Secret" MGS3 information and history of the series and features of the game) and I came across the "Cure" section. I thought "What the heck is this?" because it had x-rays of Snake and some of the pictures on the official site and I had no idea what it was. Thanks Vic! :cool: