PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur coming to the big screen.

Vic Viper
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Namco's popular fighting game, Soul Calibur, is coming to the big screen courtesy of producer Warren Zide (American Pie, Final Destination). The Hollywood Reporter tips that Zide has just acquired the movie rights to the game which will be the first at his new Sony-based production company, Anthem Pictures.

The story revolves around two warriors who are chosen by Shaolin monks to recover and destroy a powerful sword, Soul Edge, that has fallen into the hands of an evil prince who plans to use it to open the gates of hell and destroy the world.

Soul Calibur, originally released for Sega's defunct Dreamcast console, raised the bar for fighting games – it won the IGN Editor's Choice Award and was hailed as "the most enjoyable fighting game on the planet." The game has spawned a popular sequel for the PlayStation 2, the Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft's Xbox. The sequel has sold over 5 million units on all platforms and it won the best fighting game award at last year's E3 gaming conference.

Matthew Rhodes and Noel Vega are producing the movie with Anthem. Jesse Warshal is reportedly overseeing it at Anthem.

Martial arts master and actor Sammo Hung (Mr. Nice Guy, TV's Martial Law) had previously pursued the movie rights to Soul Calibur, but nothing ever came together and Namco took their property elsewhere.

There are no details on when the film might go into production, but we'll be following it for ya right. Keep checking IGN FilmForce's games-to-film page for the latest.

linky (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/496/496320p1.html?fromint=1)

Vicious_2003
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:20 PM
Oh great, Mortal Combat all over again :disturb:

merylsilverburg
Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
courtesy of producer Warren Zide (American Pie, Final Destination).

Oh wonderful...because, you know, "American Pie" and "Final Destination" are such great films. :sarcasm:

I've heard rumors about the SC movie back then, but I didn't think they'd actually do it (hoping they wouldn't). Don't these people know that movies based on games are usually terrible? *sigh*

Infernal Mass
Mar 4th, 2004, 04:56 AM
i'm optimistic, soul calibur is an excellent fighting game to make a movie out of. I mean they have to intentionally try to make the film bad, since SC sports one of the best stories ever to grace a fighting game. More so than Mortal Kombat or even Street Fighter..never in the history of cinema has there ever been such a horrific experiance as Street Fighter.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/54/039_22352.jpg

:sarcasm:

Anyways, Mitsurugi better be in it! :grumpy: Voldo and Cervantes are deffinately going to show up, if not then the movie will fail horribly...or at least i hope it will. Because they are two of the most famous characters of the series.

Vic Viper
Mar 4th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Infernal Mass

:sarcasm:

Anyways, Mitsurugi better be in it! :grumpy: Voldo and Cervantes are deffinately going to show up, if not then the movie will fail horribly...or at least i hope it will. Because they are two of the most famous characters of the series.

hey dont forget about ivy and taki (. )(. ) :laugh:

merylsilverburg
Mar 4th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I get the feeling they might not even use any of the characters from Soul Calibur. You know...they use the title, but come up with two new main characters just so the audience won't get confused if they've never played the games. After all, the description did say the enemy is "an evil prince". That would be terrible...

But, if they don't, I think maybe it's Kilik and Mitsurugi as the two main characters...and the other cast joins in later in the film. As to who I think would be in the film:

Taki, Cervantes, Sophitia, Astaroth, Mitsurugi, and Kilik. I think Voldo would be great, but he might be too hard to put in...especially with his outrageous moves. The same for Siegfried/Nightmare. :P