PDA

View Full Version : Expressing Yourself

Cannibal Clown
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Here's a thread in which i ask you about how you express your feelings and whatnot. As a guy and a girls, we all express ourselves in different ways. In different situations, we find ourselves more willing to be open, or struggle to keep it all inside. In person, we can talk and feel our heads begin to get heavier and our hands begin to get clammy. On the phone, we are more free and calm, knowing we don't have to look the other in the eye, and that we can hang up at any time. On the internet, the person is nothing but words, and is of no problem when it comes to being open and truthful.

How do you relate to these ideas?

This isn't a very straight forward thread, just an idea, or general topic I'd like to talk about with the rest of the members of PS2 fantasy. SSSnake made a thread similar to this in the old forums which turned up to be about 40+ pages

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Well lets see I can express pretty damn easy on the internet and on the phone, and quite easily in person now. Things were not always as easy as they are now, for some reason back when I was younger I would not go up and talk to a stranger or someone I barely knew. Now on the other hand I find it much easier to go up to someone and express myself openly. I pretty much can lay whatever I'm thinking out on the table without a single thought. I figure its not a big deal what people know what I'm feeling. Its not like its going to totally destroy my life, like it would if I kept everything inside.

tempted
Jan 8th, 2004, 01:58 PM
To tell you the truth i'm one of those peoples that prefers to comunicate in person,despite the fact that nowdays the internet or phone it's a more used way of expression.The reason why i like more of talking to people while looking straight in to the eyes is because it's almost impossible someone lie to me while i'm looking at him/her and because i can see the expressions on peoples faces, that most of the times say more than words...it's not that i don't like to talk on the phone or the net because obviously i'm forced to use them a lot of times but i definitely prefer the eye contact...:peoples:...and it's kind of fun when you're talking to someone and that person is unable to look you in the eyes, for some reason, i find very amusing to see all that one can do while trying to look you in the eye...:laugh: :roll:.
Contrary to a lot of peole i have no problems talking about my feelings while looking at a person,i understand that for some people it's easier to talk about themselves while talking on the phone or the internet but i believe that people would be a lot happier if they could open to others in person...;). Despite the fact that i do like more of the eye contact, i think that being able to have someone to talk at all it's just by itself a good thing wether is over the phone,internet or in person...."so express yourself" :peoples: ...did any of this made any sence to you?

Reid
Jan 8th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I'd agree with eli.

I much prefer talking to people face to face then any other method. I think the phone is alright as a substitute but the internet is the worst for sure.

The problem with only communicating by typing what you would've said is that you lose much of the subtexts and real meaning of what you were trying to get across. Look at how many misunderstandings there are when people try to get sarcasm across.

:P

I also think that there's much more honesty when you have to look someone in the eyes and can't just leave at your convenience. It forces you to be more of yourself and makes you have to relate more truthfully.

I'd say I probably have the easiest time communicating in person and that's probably the way people can understand who I am the best.

That's not to say that other forms are completely useless though. Over time, talking to people through the internet you can still get a pretty decent idea of what they're like.

-PSX-
Jan 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I like to lay my cards on the table so I know what I got. If I want to say something to someone and it was appropriate I would say it. I wouldn't say it if it was innapropriate and would offend, harm, hurt or inflict any emotional pain on anybody. Im not that sort of person. I can talk to new people easier than a few years ago. But if I have something to say and they aren't gonna like it but I have to say it I can still get slightly nervous (shown through my clammy hands) but talking over the telephone is easier becasue you can hear what people say and vice versa but you can try not to express your feelings in your voice if possible, instead showing it in your face. Over the internet it is unfortunate that people can not show very much emotion at all, hiding their true feelings like a wolf in sheeps clothing. But I know that I have to say something and I'll say it becasue I have much more confidence than before.

Gadzoox
Jan 8th, 2004, 11:47 PM
... through art. :>

trunks69420
Jan 9th, 2004, 10:47 AM
I also prefer the in person route... but if i do use other mediums i would have to say poetry. If you knew me at all you would say wtf? you poetry??? Yeah but i must be honest that when i am feeling all bad and i cant quite find the words to say... i can always write them. yeah... thats all i got for now... maybe later i can post a situation and i can get some guidance on how i should react... i have an idea.. but since you are all my family as well:) you can help me too.

tempted
Jan 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by trunks69420

... but if i do use other mediums i would have to say poetry. ..............you poetry???

Yep that's what i'm thinking right now , it's just that you don't seem like the poetry type ..but hey is always good to surprise people and you certainly did surprise me..:shock: ;)

trunks69420
Jan 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by eli

Yep that's what i'm thinking right now , it's just that you don't seem like the poetry type ..but hey is always good to surprise people and you certainly did surprise me..:shock: ;)

Well sometime if i see you on IM i have some of them on the computer.... most are handwritten and thrown away... but hey... if you wanna check them out let me know... i am more than happy to share. AIM:trunksstrikes69 *oh and i am not usually home till after 11:30 EST

fantasytiger
Jan 9th, 2004, 02:20 PM
i express myself through poetry and stories no matter what the situation is i find some of my best stuff is created when i am litterally feeling the way my character is. plus i am no go expressing myself verbaly i think that stems from the fact that i use to get laughed at in elementry because i had a different view then everyone else so i found writing i mean if you talk to me and i feel comfortable around you i will probably sound like a fun intelligent young lady but if not i would probably sound like an idiot:laugh:

-PSX-
Jan 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
OK having read these posts it has inspired me to add to my previous comments.

I think that our experiences, emotions and attitudes effect the way we talk, react, behave and express ourselves. If we are happy we seem to be able to talk a lot easier than if we are sad. If we are nervous we want to get what we want to say over but find it hard to pluck up the courage to actually let it out. But whatever the situation if it is not going to be hurting anybody we should make our opinions, intentions and feelings be expressed the way we want to. We should not bottle up our emotions as that can lead to various consequences in different cases.

tempted
Jan 9th, 2004, 04:31 PM
I couldn't agree more with you PSX on the fact that experiences do effect our behaviour with another person,but i don't think that being happy or being sad has anything to do with you expressing yourself to anyone ....i think and like Fantasy said if you're confortable with the person you'll probably end up talking more easily ....

Piggle_humsy
Jan 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I am best online, That is the only real way I can talk to people and be myself, I suck on the phone, I cant even talk to my best mates or relatives on the phone, I get all nervous, run out of things to say and end up panicking. I also suck in person aswell, this would be down to my serious lack of confidence, Alot of people dont know this but I sometimes have trouble even leaving my house, I have what is known as a Social phobia which means I panic in new surroundings and around unfamiliar people, this is mostly down to a life of bullying (so any bullies out there think b4 u act!) , because when people put you down all your life you end up thinking your not actually worth anything, ok gone off subject... well yes I have trouble with people, online I am a totally different person as I dont have all the worries that come with talking to people in person, I dont have to look them in the eye, silences arent uncomfortable, I dont have to worry about speaking loud enough to be heard which is a real problem for me, I normally just get spoken over or go unoticed, Im just me online and offline thats goes away because I am worrying about everything, what to say, how to fill silences, what people are thinking of me, how stupid I look or sound.

So long story short: I have a hard time expressing myself when there's actual people around.

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

Chara
Jan 10th, 2004, 08:06 PM
I usually dont express my feelings. Its not that I try to keep things bottled up, I just dont tend to express my feelings.

But if anything I would say my feelings go into working out. If I'm amd or anything, working out take my mind off of things. That is propbably why I have been getting fatter lately, nothing has been bothering me. =/

-PSX-
Jan 11th, 2004, 08:51 AM
I am best online, That is the only real way I can talk to people and be myself, I suck on the phone, I cant even talk to my best mates or relatives on the phone, I get all nervous, run out of things to say and end up panicking. I also suck in person aswell, this would be down to my serious lack of confidence, Alot of people dont know this but I sometimes have trouble even leaving my house, I have what is known as a Social phobia which means I panic in new surroundings and around unfamiliar people, this is mostly down to a life of bullying (so any bullies out there think b4 u act!) , because when people put you down all your life you end up thinking your not actually worth anything, ok gone off subject... well yes I have trouble with people, online I am a totally different person as I dont have all the worries that come with talking to people in person, I dont have to look them in the eye, silences arent uncomfortable, I dont have to worry about speaking loud enough to be heard which is a real problem for me, I normally just get spoken over or go unoticed, Im just me online and offline thats goes away because I am worrying about everything, what to say, how to fill silences, what people are thinking of me, how stupid I look or sound.

Man that really sucks. I feel really sad now because I can relate to what your saying as I used to be bullied but I kind of got off lightly and worked my way out of it. All I can say is if you're being bullied, talk.

But I used to be kinda like u in the way I had no confidence but since I mvoed on I just regained my confidence bit by bit and became more trusting to people th friendlier they became. Anyways, all I can really say is try to move on and forget the past. Bullies are ignorant pigs with no brains in the first place.

007_JamesBond
Jan 11th, 2004, 01:56 PM
whether in person or online i am pretty much the same, i am open and answer questions without hesitation, even last night when i went to the movies in a newer state, around people i did not know i went up and started a conversation with 4 different people, i am sick of letting life pass me by, and as i look back it is going very quickly i already have 6 months in the military and it seems only like a few weeks, pretty soon i will be somewhere else with nothing that really made me happy here, so i dont care what people think here, they dont know me. oh well i am jsut babbling

neomarik
Jan 12th, 2004, 05:07 PM
i draw, or listen to music (cd depends on mood) but sometimes i just like to sit alone quietly and just think

-PSX-
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:36 PM
hey neomarik you're kinda like me sometimes... I don't sit on my own too foten but the music I listen to is all on my mood.

neomarik
Jan 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
yeah, theres nothin like some hard rock when your pissed

-PSX-
Jan 13th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Your Damn Right! ;)

FUEL MY ANGER :mad: