PDA

View Full Version : max payne rpg?

PS2Girl
Dec 24th, 2003, 07:43 PM
hey guys,

would yall consider "Max Payne" to be a "RPG"?

thanks

Vulcan Raven
Dec 26th, 2003, 01:44 AM
umm i guess you do play a role in the game (R.P.G)

but ah, i think it is classified as Action/Adventure genre.

they Call Max Payne 2: the fall of max payne a 'film noir love story'
hmm luvey dovey with a bit of shooting, action, and matrix moves to boot.

ru meaning would you consider it to b an RPG or would it be good as a RPG?

PS2Girl
Dec 27th, 2003, 06:13 PM
what i mean is..is it classified as a "RPG"..i think its a very good game..

Vulcan Raven
Dec 28th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Yer i just bought Max Payne (the first one) the other day.
It is a great game. as soon as i finish it i will for sure buy Max Payne 2: the fall of max payne

Eden
Dec 28th, 2003, 03:23 AM
No Max Payne is in no way an rpg, an rpg is a game like Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, Wild Arms etc where the game is basically menu based driven. RPG's usually have a long deep story line and they usually take up a lot of your time unlike Max Payne which is basically a shooter.

Vulcan Raven
Dec 28th, 2003, 05:42 AM
Took the words right out of my mouth jon...i mean Mr Eden.
Max payne is a classic and would reccomend it to any gamer, serious or not.
Rockstar have done it again.
Also, there has been news of a movie being based on Max Payne.
Shooting, Twisted plots, Designer Drugs (Valklr) and all round great action? I gotta see this movie!

Off Topic:

my fellow citizens of the ps2fantasy.com forums,
I would like you to meet my good friend 'Eden'

I reccomended him to these forums and on behalf of ps2fantasy,
welcome.

and the same to any ps2fantasy newcomers.

Redpyramidhead
Dec 29th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Although, much like a good RPG, the Max Payne series has a very deep and involved storyline. ;)

_RED_ stuff

kupoartist
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Everything between the lines is the "long version". Because i'm a real boring person to listen to, scroll down for the short version ^_^
---
only as much as any game that has a character you play... which is pretty much every game except some sports or strategy games.

To me, an RPG gives you a basic set of abilties, and allows you to build upon those abilties extensively. A game like Max Payne gives you one or two abilities (in this case shooting and slowing down time), but offers little progression of these abilites. Simply aquiring "better weapons" is inadequate for the complexity of character progression - true action-RPGs (System Shock 2, Deus Ex 1+2) allow you to make choices about what equipment you carry, and they may also let you modify the weapon's range, clip size or ammo type.

Another vital RPG element is character progression. Aside from the weapons he carries, Max Payne at the end of the game is still the same Max Payne that he was at the beginning - RPG characters usually have stats like Strength, Vitality, Endurance, Agility, Speed and the rest which improve over time, so that the character at the end of the game has evolved with the game. Failing that, a more abstract version is viable (e.g. Augmentations, that let you run faster deflect bullets or turn invisible in Deus Ex 2, that are "earned" as you play through the game)

Secondary (at least to me) RPG elements that Max Payne lacks are stuff like:
1. plenty of interactions and choices to make: including shops, branching conversations (where you choose what to say) and branching playstyles (stealthy? hacker? wizard? soldier?). These potentially make the game different each time you play, whereas Max Payne just shoots everything.
2. many RPGs have magic or some variation on that ("psionics" or powers of the mind type things). Though this is hardly a vital component, its one that most RPGs have in some form because the storyline is usually fantasy or sci-fi based. I can't give a good reason why that is, but it probably has roots going back to the early days of dungeons and dragons, and the basic fact that anyone who rolls a dice is a total Nerd.

As for the deep and involving storyline thing, that isn't a RPG thing. As Red says its a "good RPG" thing (ie. its not a requirement, but its vital in 9 of 10 top RPGs). Menus are NOT a requirement of RPGs... they're just widely adopted in Console RPGs, but not so prominant in PC RPGs (Baldurs Gate, seems to rely more on a mouse driven interface. it has menus, but they're not required for everything like in a Console RPG. Any RPG hybrid usually gets rid of most of the menus - Deus Ex thankfully doesn't require you to select "attack" from a menu when you want to shoot a soldier in the face) and certainly not the pen and paper RPGs which computer games got all their ideas from (I've never played one in my life, but i severely doubt that rolling a dice involves a menu driven interface).

---

So yeah, the short version. Max Payne is not a RPG because it lacks any real character progression (aquiring more guns and getting to the end of the game doesn't count, as you can do that in most games anyway. simply controlling a character is also inadequate because the whole point about 99% of games is that you control something and fufil some kind of role).

BTW, i got Max Payne 1 for christmas as well... i've been enjoying my other presents, but am caping the ship for the russian guy. Its a pretty cool game.

Vulcan Raven
Dec 30th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Well there you go PS2 Girl, no need to ask us! just PM the_artist whenever you have a query or problem...he pretty much sums it up better than all of us combined!

And its New Years eve over in New Zealand! so Happy New Years to all!