PDA

View Full Version : max payne..love it or hate it?

PS2Girl
Dec 6th, 2003, 05:48 PM
does anybody just love the max payne games and storylines??

Redpyramidhead
Dec 6th, 2003, 09:15 PM
The Max Payne series is a landmark in videogame history. It pretty much became one instantly, regarding it's integration of "bullet time." AS far as storyiline it integrates all the drama of a great film and graphic novel in, as well. That is an understatement!

_RED_ stuff

Chara
Dec 6th, 2003, 09:18 PM
I got bored of the game halfway through. All the levels wer ethe same thing. Shoot people until you reach the end. That only held my intrest for So long.

Infernal Mass
Dec 6th, 2003, 11:01 PM
i played the xbox demo awhile back, wasn't too impressed.

Redpyramidhead
Dec 7th, 2003, 06:14 PM
You can hardly judge a series by a demo.

_RED_ stuff

Infernal Mass
Dec 11th, 2003, 06:58 PM
the gameplay mechanics i observed in the demo were enough for me.

Daedaelus
Dec 12th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Infernal Mass

the gameplay mechanics i observed in the demo were enough for me.

The gameplay mechanics of Max Payne are what make is such a unique game... I think it's a great series, and would like to see it continue.

Infernal Mass
Dec 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM
i thought bloodrayne was better, not only was i able to kill nazis..

She had infinite bullet-time and alot more weapons.

Vulcan Raven
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:02 AM
hmmm but what game had bullet time first? "Max payne did!"

and like developers say, demos are only trial, rough versions of the game and still are to be fixed up/polished up before release.

so give it a second chance!

and i mean it depends if you like perving at sexy vampires or playing a great game wit and slaying nazis with countless weapons and cheap write offs of 'bullet time'
or playing an immensley deep storyline with great action.

Blooodrayne dosent have a very 'original' storyline for those who've played it and also has very 'un-original' features. (alas 'Bullet-Time' Nazi slaying etc...)

So it really depend what youre into

Its my word against yours so, you make your own mind up.

~Grim Reaper~

"Max Mayne, Brutal DEA agent Killer?" no no just a fugitive cop with nothing to lose. Alex would be turning in his grave knowing Max was framed for his murder.

FUCK YOU JACK LAPINO!!!

Infernal Mass
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:12 AM
yeah...

Vulcan Raven
Dec 28th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Infernal Mass

yeah...

Just so in case u took this the wrong way,
im not getting pissed of at you or anything Infernal Mass.

I was just defending my beloved Max Payne.

Infernal Mass
Dec 29th, 2003, 04:40 AM
so now what?

kupoartist
Dec 29th, 2003, 02:54 PM
i've only played the first... I like it, but its hardly outstanding. Bullet Time is good, but in the end it ammounts to a gimmick... one of the best gimmicks i've seen, but still just something of little consequence that was hardly worth basing an entire game around. Thankfully the story is pretty good, and i love the way the game doesn't want to take itself too seriously... but at the end of the day its linear as hell, the voice acting isn't fantastic, and its a bit of a no brainer.

Two more things: no demo i've ever seen for a game released on the PC is from a "work in progress" game, or at least not from an area that didn't end up exactly the same in the demo. As for originality, its a basic fact that no-one cares (and i say that in a "its a shame" way). A game called Kingpin did the whole gangster action thing, and surely the numerous car-crime games did it as well. Bullet time could be said to be a rip-off from the Matrix. If people actually cared "who did it first", Halo wouldn't be half as popular as it is: its not who gets there first, just who does it best.

Infernal Mass
Dec 29th, 2003, 11:50 PM
nicely put artist.

Vulcan Raven
Dec 30th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Yup, I gotta say, nicely put, Artist.

And top marks on your Artwork..great stuff..youre very talented

-PSX-
Jan 12th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Max Payne 1 was the beginning of a new era!!

With the new bullet-time feature and fast action gameplay it provided many new senses - stealth, shooting and anxious yet vicious murder in one bullet.

But the one bad thing is down to the PS2 version in that some of the movies are glitchy and do not work very well... but hey it was a very new concept!!

kupoartist
Jan 12th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by -PSX-
Max Payne 1 was the beginning of a new era!!
Strangely, I can't name a single game apart from Max Payne 2 which adopted bullet-time or any of the other "innovations" that were in Max Payne 1. Perhaps its just me, but 2 games don't really do the "new era" thing for me :)

Originally posted by -PSX-
With the new bullet-time feature and fast action gameplay it provided many new senses - stealth, shooting and anxious yet vicious murder in one bullet.
stealth = nothing new. Hell, there's almost too much in stealth these days (because stealth gameplay often results in dumbing AI down to make the player sneak by unnoticed, which is bad). Shooting certainly ain't new, and I've certainly seen my fair share of violent murder in one bullet. Mind you, deaths aren't as violent as they used to be, damned Ragdolls!

Despite the fact that it's a damned fine game, I don't think Max Payne is that innovative. In the first one, bullet time is an optional extra for the majority of the game (I pressed mouse button 2 to look cool, rather than any strategic advantage) and the rest is a wonderful bundle of Computer Game and Movie cliche.