PDA

View Full Version : Max Payne 2 (Reviews)

Vicious_2003
Nov 29th, 2003, 02:47 AM
I know I saw a Max Payne 2 thread somewhere but I cant find it so I figure Ill start a new one for reviews seeing as how the game is out now.

Ill start by saying I wasnt at all a fan of the first Max Payne. I found the levels to be rather weak and poorly designed. I found the whole plot to be a string of one action movie cliche after another accompanied by sloppy controls and a poorly done bullet time effect.

Now that you know that you will see just how much an improvement this second installment is. I couldnt put the controller down after picking it up at my local Blockbuster. I couldnt pin point the differences necessarily because it looks smells and fells alot like the last one. But for one reason or another I really enjoyed this game.

The thing that stood out most to me was the detail and functionality of the levels. You can tell they put alot of time and effort into theyre design. On top of that the controls and bullet time seemed to flow better.

Another thing I LOVE about this game is how it, much like the last dealt with deep subject matter that has almost become taboo in Video games. This game is very much geared towards an older more mature crowd. Not only because of the extreeme violence and excessive use of the F word. But because it deals with the human condition and fragility of the mind. I will admit that the game is still full of cliche's and poor over the top poetry. but if you can look past that you can appreciate the plot for what it is, a near masterpice by video game standards.

My only real complaint is that the game is rather short. I beat it the day I rented it. But thats the case for most action/adventure games, wich is why I never purchase them. Id give Max Payne 2 a solid 9/10.

pjb2006
Nov 30th, 2003, 04:28 PM
i heard it's really short

Beretta55
Dec 5th, 2003, 01:57 PM
This game looks really cool i loved the action and all the metaphores from max in the first one. what can i say i found them humerous but im getting this game for Christmas. Is this game worth owning though vicious? this is mostly coming from a action/adventure fan:P

Redpyramidhead
Dec 6th, 2003, 02:12 AM
What Vicious didn't mention is that once you beat the game once, you unlock 4 more difficulty modes to play thru the game in varying from "hard-boiled" to "Dead on Arrival." The first game had the same feature.

I do not know how many hours vicious sat down for in one day to complete the game on "detective" difficulty, but currently I am only on chapter 5 of Part 1.

Also, unlocked when the game is beaten the firstime is the ability to selct any mission, also adding to the replay value along with the difficulty modes.

The first thing you'll notice about the story is the movie like feel that has been taken a whole step further this time around and the cutscenes happen at a breakneck pace almost never interrupting the action flow. Simple genius!

Mmmm...rendered bullets *bites down* tastey!:cool:

Alas, I must get back to Battlestar Galactica now... coooolness........

_RED_ stuff

Vicious_2003
Dec 14th, 2003, 01:41 PM
What Vicious didn't mention is that once you beat the game once, you unlock 4 more difficulty modes to play thru the game in varying from "hard-boiled" to "Dead on Arrival." The first game had the same feature.

Yeah, I noticed that but never got around to checking out the alternate play modes sence I only rented it .

I do not know how many hours vicious sat down for in one day to complete the game on "detective" difficulty, but currently I am only on chapter 5 of Part 1.

I sat down and played it for quite a while. I didnt plan on it, but once I got going I got hooked on the storyline and didnt want to stop. I remember I canceled some plans to go do my christmas shopping to play it. But to be completely honest It really took me about a day and a half. I broke it out the second day and beat the final chapter I belive.

Beretta55
Dec 29th, 2003, 07:09 AM
Hmmmmmm im playing this game and im loving every second of it and good thing the original voice actor returned for the sequeal. Before this game came out it was reported that it was going to be a diffrent guy but it all turned out for the best;) but im noticing some problems (i have the xbox version by the way)
there are some glitches.....mostly sound glitches. whenever some thugs are talking and you wait for their conversation to end and then go out and blow their heads off. some of the conversation skips like......thug a says something......thug b doesnt say anything then thug a says something then thug b says something. i can tell on this because i have subtitles on the game and i see some conversation skipping. then in the bullet time sometimes when i dive and and hold onto it i stay on the ground firing maybe it was implented into the game or is a glitch not too sure. im having fun just these sound glitches get to me since im very careful of my sytems. it could be my TV as well since it has been given me sound problems for the past 7 months or so but i really hoping it isnt my new xbox. just got it for X-mas and if it was already messing up i would yank someones eyes out namely a worker at microsoft;)

off-topic: i noticed a sound problem on my copy of rainbow six 3 its gone now but when i first booted it up and played the training mission. the mission giver had some voice going in and out....it stopped now.....but still.

Vulcan Raven
Dec 30th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I just got the first Max Payne about a week ago. Finished it on 'fugitive' Mode then 'Hardboiled'. Hardboiled mode is slightly more challenging as when you take painkillers his healing proccess is slower and Health lower. auto aim is also scaled down. I am yet to play dead on arrival and new york miniute.

My next purchase will probably be Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. (when it comes out) as recently i have been bombarded with a whole heap of games to finish (i just cant help buying/saving up for them!) such as SOCOM, GTA3 and Vice City (which i have clocked....99%!) LOTR: ROTK, MOH: Rising Sun and of course....Max Payne (which i have finished) which is now gone platinum in New Zealand. But when ive finished and well done with all these games (and MGS3), i will be sure to get Max Payne 2 for a little more action..(no not in that way horny bastard) and action (movie like) storyline.
~Grim Reaper~:laugh: