PDA

View Full Version : FFXI Character Classes

kupoartist
Mar 6th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Despite the horrible lack of enthusiasm for the forthcomming PS2 and PC online FF game, I'm gonna post this anyway.

New information regarding Final Fantasy XI's available job classes has been reported among other aspects of the game. Players can choose from at least fifteen job classes, including Warrior, Thief, Monk, White Mage, Red Mage, Black Mage, Knight, Summoner, Bard, Ninja, Samurai, Gunner, Hunter, Dark Knight and Tamer.

So I put it to You: What class do you want to be in FFXI? (feel free to make suggestions about what other classes you'd like to see as well...)

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 6th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Being a knight would be cool but I'm into katana's and what not so I'd more than likely be a samurai!!:ghost:

IcyMourdor
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:11 PM
I don't know what'd I be.

Either Samurai or Dark Knight

Samurai: I've been interested in Anicent Japan and the Samurais of old. Plus, katanas are very graceful and kickass weapons.

Dark Knight: Hell, Mourdor means Dark Knight. It'd be pretty fun to make my character after my story.

DreamSharpShooter
Mar 6th, 2002, 06:24 PM
i like to be a gunner!

DragonSphere
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:34 AM
I'd probably be either a Knight, Monk, or Hunter. But what the heck is a Tamer?

IcyMourdor
Mar 7th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Tamers catch monsters when their HP is low and then use them against other enemies. The last game to use this tactic was FFV.

FFT uses this too, to a certain extent.

kupoartist
Mar 7th, 2002, 01:35 PM
I personally would love to see Dragoon as a class... yet It hasn't been announced...

Apart from that I want to be a Black Mage or Gunner (interesting idea, wonder how it'll fit in with the game-world tho...)

DreamSharpShooter
Mar 7th, 2002, 06:55 PM
i hope that the gunner will have nice abilities, not only the abilities that it has in FFT....there werent bad, but very few....

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 7th, 2002, 10:58 PM
Dragoon's rule...their armor is kicka$$

Soul Angel
Mar 11th, 2002, 02:52 PM
I'm not that brillantly familier with Job classes, but from the ones which I know I guess I wouldn't mind being a summoner, but I hope that there normal attacks won't be weak like you usually find in FF games XD

kupoartist
Mar 11th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Soul Angel
I'm not that brillantly familier with Job classes, but from the ones which I know I guess I wouldn't mind being a summoner, but I hope that there normal attacks won't be weak like you usually find in FF games XD

Luckily, you'll be able to mix and match with classes to the extent that you can have a secondary job class. Summoners are naturally weak as they tend to be put on the back row, but if you so wish you could have a Summoner/Knight that Summons and fights. Though i do believe there is a EXP penalty to the jobs if you choose a second...

Potentially you could have some intresting mixes, but you'd have to avoid some defunct ones (ie. Red/Black Mage - as Reds already have black magic...)

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 11th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Oh sweet, then I'll be a Samurai/Gunner

IcyMourdor
Mar 11th, 2002, 09:45 PM
If this game is going online, than mixing classes won't be possible. Online RPGs usually have groups of players. The "tanks" will be in front while the magic-users will stay in back.

kupoartist
Mar 12th, 2002, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure where I read it, and I can't find it on the FFXI beta Site (can't read Japanese, and Babelfish is only slightly better...) But the game is supposed to have "Moogle Houses" where you choose secondary jobs. (Though it does remain to be seen if there be a limit on what kind of jobs you could select...)

Already FFXI looks like it won't be like other Online RPGs, and the common mould of "tanks" and casters is already broken by the Red Mage (a Multi low level magic fighter).

IcyMourdor
Mar 14th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Yes, the Red Mage stands out. He can use multiple abilities, but he can master none. You won't see a Dark Knight with master White Magic is what i mean.

kupoartist
Mar 14th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Perhaps not a master, but at least they'll be a nice ammount of customisation in above existing MMORPGs... though i'm kinda worried i'm gonna be the only one playing :/