PDA

View Full Version : The best....of recent

trunks69420
Sep 12th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Okay okay.. we all know the all time greats like floyd, zeppelin, doors and whoever else you want to name... But my question is as of early 90s till now.. Who in your "opinion" is one of the best rock and hard rock bands of our time? Take into consideration lyrical merit... sound.. and make sure its rock.. not no *nsync shit here!!!!!:)
My choice is a little band that was formed outta LA in 1991... a band with a lead singer like no other.. whos poetic introspective gives us a reason to think... The lead singer Maynard James Keenan of Tool. Tool in my opinion has produced so many "hits" and among its fans has some of the best music heard in a long time... The lyrics challenge us to question the norm and allow us to think... thats why you dont see them on MTV (which is a good thing) so much. That is my choice as of now.. unless some other band can completely turn my insane love for tool around... Well what are you waiting for!! tell us your faves and why!

DSgamer
Sep 12th, 2003, 09:46 PM
im gona go with TOOL on this one too

Uchiha Sasuke
Sep 12th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I would go with Creed. As a band they started out with nothing and went to then become one the biggest rock bands of the 90's and 00's. They touched lifes all over the globe with there inspiring lyrics and the clear positive message they deliver through song. They pretty much made the record label that signed them. They have incredibly awesome live shows on par with some of the greatest bands to tour. Definately one of the best bands that are out now. Incredibly talented and full of energy.

Redpyramidhead
Sep 12th, 2003, 11:17 PM
We are to name only one? Or several? Well, let me start with Soundgarden. Forming around 1986 and calling it quits in 1997, along the course of their career, they redefined the many aspects of rock music. Helping to finally to "drive the last nail into the coffin of glam rock" with their release "Badmotofinger" in 1989/90, they helped to usher in a whole new load of bands, inadvertantly paving the way to launch the grunge era and the "seattle sound" while none of them quite knew what they were doing like Soundgarden...not even close.

Just to mention the bands mentioned thus far:
Bands like Creed today owe their allegiance to Soundgarden, especially guitar-wise. Listen closely and you will see Mark Tremonti's obvious influence from Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil's guitar work.

Tool is actually a seperate story. They are not directly related to Soundgarden's sound in terms of mood except that their album "Undertow" and parts of "Aenima" seem to be heavily grunge influenced rhythmically, but at the same time dont fall within this genre.

_RED_ stuff

Berserker
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Damn dude, tough question cause my top ten favorite bands are all pre-nineties. I'll have to go with Blood for Blood then I guess formed somewhere in the nineties, it's a Boston based band.
With very dark, depressive lyrics dealing with the f&^%*&-up society and the matching intense rough hardcore music to go along with it. Too bad that when they do a show nowadays the band is to drunk to play a decent set, but they sure kicked ass back in 95/96. When I saw them tear up a club nearby, and there was a pit of 150 violent dancers. One of the best shows(pit-wise that is) that I've seen in a long time.

trunks69420
Sep 17th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Glad there is some love for tool out there:) Neways...I also have a huge respect for Soundgarden.. And you are correct Red when you say that most music probably wouldnt have been possible without them breaking down the barriers set up by bands like poisin and WASP ;) j/k.. i love 80's bands too.. but glam/hair rock just really stiffled the creativity that was begging to come forth. So again.. great choice in soundgarden...
And SSSnake.. I somehow knew you were gonna pick Creed... and my liking for them might not be as much as yours (as i doubt anyones is) but with the information that you backed them up with i definitely recognize them as a great band and they did do a lot in the music industry.. and you are correct.. very inspirational...
Berserker: I have heard a lil of blood for blood.. and i enjoy them pretty well... eventually when i get a new job i will try and pick up one of their eariler cds... can you make a suggestion to me as to which to pick up?
Thanks again to everyone who posted here.. i just really like to hear everyones opinions... Besides video games and women... music is one of the most important things in my life.. and right now probably the most pertinant.

Reid
Sep 17th, 2003, 06:22 PM
I'd have to agree that Tool and Soundgarden are both incredible, recent bands and I think they will both live on for some time.

A few that I think are really great right now are Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Incubus and The Roots. These all seem to be bands that will live on for a long time and continue to evolve (except Nirvana and Soundgarden as that's a bit impossible now).

Another group that seems like they'll have some serious staying power if they put another album continuing in the same direction is The Mars Volta.

By the way, has anyone picked up the new A Perfect Circle album yet?

Berserker
Sep 18th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Trunks you really can't go wrong with any of the Blood For Blood cd's, but my favorite one would be revenge on society. Their earlier cd's are darker then the newer ones wich have a bit more melody in their songs but still have that pissed-of edge to them.
If you want to check out the more melodic one you'll have to go with Outlaw Anthems wich is also great.

PS Has anyone heard something from that new band of Phil Anselmo? I forgot the name but I heard it's quit good, so I'm looking forward what you guys think of it.

trunks69420
Sep 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Reid
By the way, has anyone picked up the new A Perfect Circle album yet?

I have.. got it tuesday... It's not as good as Mer de noms in my opinion.. but a great cd nonetheless.. Actually i retract my prior statement... Its not the same as their first... its different... but in a good way.. a lot of drawling melodies that put you in a zoned like state... great lyrics.. great music being played and the lovely MJK singing courtesy volcano records:) There are a lot of good songs but i think that they more flow together than draw out a new hit single... ya know? But a great album to pick up if you are into that.... In my opinion
Berserker.. thanks..i should be able to try and pick that cd up next weekend.. if i get it i will PM you:)

Uchiha Sasuke
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead
Just to mention the bands mentioned thus far:
Bands like Creed today owe their allegiance to Soundgarden, especially guitar-wise. Listen closely and you will see Mark Tremonti's obvious influence from Chris Cornell and Kim Thayil's guitar work.
_RED_ stuff

Admitted there are a few of tremonti's riffs that sound like a couple of soundgardens songs the just of them do not. Espically in the way the guitar itself sounds in most of Creeds songs. Totally unique, because if you were to take out the vocals you could tell a song by Creed just by the signature guitar sound and style of play. I'm not saying your wrong but I wouldn't go as far to say that they owe Soundgarden allegiance.

DSgamer
Sep 18th, 2003, 05:28 PM
was AFI created in da 90s?? if it was, then ill go w/ AFI and TOOL :)

tempted
Sep 18th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Hi ,well i'll have to say that my favorite band till now is HIM ,you probably heard about them already...buti also like Creed and Live.

trunks69420
Sep 23rd, 2003, 07:08 PM
Him is a great band.. i first heard of them in the CKY videos.. i bought razorblade romance.. as well as all the cky music groups albums... Great choice Eli... i only know of a few people who know who HIM is.. so its uber cool you know them too:)

tempted
Sep 24th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by trunks69420

Him is a great band.. i first heard of them in the CKY videos.. i bought razorblade romance.. as well as all the cky music groups albums... Great choice Eli... i only know of a few people who know who HIM is.. so its uber cool you know them too:)

Hi finally someone that enjoys good music is that the only album of them that you've got (RR)? It's strange that no one here knows them because in my country they're pretty famous...but anyway excellent taste you've got..;)