yes love silent hill games so far and wanting to know if
i should silent hill 3 to collcetion

Redpyramidhead
Aug 17th, 2003, 12:25 AM
what exactly are you trying to say?:frust:

_RED_ stuff

Bogart
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:35 AM
I think you should read the amazing review on this website... it says exactly what I thought after playing the game, and well... something more actually.

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Truthfully SH3 is one of the best games i've played in a awhile. I'm such a vivid fan of the series and I'm so glad Konami decided to continue and finish the story from the first game. SH3 in my opinion is also the scariest of the series so far. Definately a must have.

Hylas
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Silent Hill 3 is far from being the scariest game of the series IMO. It's clearly done in a hurry, in fact characters have not the depth of the ones of the preceding games, and the story is pretty boring and not much developed for most of the game. Plus, I never, and I mean never, felt uncomfortable or scared playing it, while I was terrified both by SH and SH2. It's the weakest game of the series, but I think if you're a fan you definitely must get this one too.

EDIT:
I think you should read the amazing review on this website... it says exactly what I thought after playing the game, and well... something more actually.

Yeah, I've read the review (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/scripts/reviews.php?id=117) yesterday, because I had some doubts regarding the fact I didn't like this game as the other two, and well, it's very very detailed and incredibly accurate. Thanks a lot Harry for taking the time to write all of it! I found it really interesting to read, and that's odd because I think most reviews are extremely irritating and boring (one of the reasons I came to this site was because I liked reading the reviews, lol), so if you want a clearer idea on it, maybe you should read it too.

Bogart
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Hylas

Silent Hill 3 is far from being the scariest game of the series IMO. It's clearly done in a hurry, in fact characters have not the depth of the ones of the preceding games, and the story is pretty boring and not much developed for most of the game. Plus, I never, and I mean never, felt uncomfortable or scared playing it, while I was terrified both by SH and SH2. It's the weakest game of the series, but I think if you're a fan you definitely must get this one too.

EDIT:

Yeah, I've read the review (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/scripts/reviews.php?id=117) yesterday, because I had some doubts regarding the fact I didn't like this game as the other two, and well, it's very very detailed and incredibly accurate. Thanks a lot Harry for taking the time to write all of it! I found it really interesting to read, and that's odd because I think most reviews are extremely irritating and boring (one of the reasons I came to this site was because I liked reading the reviews, lol), so if you want a clearer idea on it, maybe you should read it too.

You said it all! I played the first game a lot of times, and the second one even more... and I think exactly what you said. I've noticed that unlike other websites, the reviews here are more than "I give this game this score. Period". They add something that can make them really interesting to read. I also loved SH2 review on this site. So, nice job guys!

Edit: Also on my opinion this was the less scary game of the series. I never came close to feel the fear I had playing the first Silent Hill and some moments of Silent Hill 2. Like Harry said, "disgust" was the theme here.

Infernal Mass
Aug 18th, 2003, 12:14 AM
i like this game the best of all..it's like a sense of closure to the first game which was my favorite. It seemed like a fan service title though, i mean the soundtrack thrown in the package, plus if you hadn't played any of the previous games SH3 would probably seem real shallow.

Harry
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the kind words :)

Redpyramidhead
Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:45 AM
I think the "shallowness" and loss of depth people speak of is actually possibly not a mistake. The depth you find is in the hidden messages to be found from the disgusting imagery and why she interprets these things in this way. I'm hoping more answers will come as I go along. I haven't gotten that far really. I've been busy. Is this the story about a girl who is discovering her own personality's depth all of a sudden? Something that is seemingly so rare? I think this happens to a lot of people when they hit adolescense who haven't already. I have a theory too: Claudia is her future self A certain soundtrack song kind of gave me that impression beofer I even started playing the game.

So far, I am quite impressed with the game. Truthfully, I did not expect this game to be able to top SH2 so I am less dissappointed than some and I am able to enjoy it for what it is. I have no doubt that a Silent Hill4 will be made at some point so there is that to look forward to for those who don't like this installment, but I feel this really is a masterpeice in its own right.

_RED_ stuff

Harry
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

I think the "shallowness" and loss of depth people speak of is actually possibly not a mistake. The depth you find is in the hidden messages to be found from the disgusting imagery and why she interprets these things in this way. I'm hoping more answers will come as I go along. I haven't gotten that far really. I've been busy. Is this the story about a girl who is discovering her own personality's depth all of a sudden? Something that is seemingly so rare? I think this happens to a lot of people when they hit adolescense who haven't already. I have a theory too: Claudia is her future self A certain soundtrack song kind of gave me that impression beofer I even started playing the game.

So far, I am quite impressed with the game. Truthfully, I did not expect this game to be able to top SH2 so I am less dissappointed than some and I am able to enjoy it for what it is. I have no doubt that a Silent Hill4 will be made at some point so there is that to look forward to for those who don't like this installment, but I feel this really is a masterpeice in its own right.

_RED_ stuff
Well, I guess I can add nothing more than what I said in the review, but I can say that the things you talked about, while sub-themes that can be accepted within a broad interpretation of the game, become secondary elements once you've surpassed the first half of the game, when you discover that the characters are all more "real" than in preceding installments, and less symbolic figures.

The most interesting and courageous theme, as I wrote in the review, stands probably in the fact that the sense of disgust is, for the first time in a video game, connected to woman's sexuality. Like in the preceding installment, the experience is always seen through the eyes of main character; and it’s true that the game can also be seen as a “story about a girl who is discovering her own personality's depth all of a sudden”, or more generally as the story of an average consumer girl who is discovering for the first time true pain and suffering.

This said, for me it’s evident the developers didn't have the time to create a tissue as cohesive as in the previous game, and it's even more evident that the game lacks too often a solid direction to successfully portray its themes. It’s also difficult not to see how, for the first time in the series, the game really inherits something from Resident Evil (and in the many interviews, the new director didn’t deny the fact he wanted to put more pure action, like we see in American horror B-movies), without being able to be as well balanced (gameplay-wise) as Capcom’s games; the preceding Silent Hill games were a fierce opposition to Capcom’s way of intending the genre.

Redpyramidhead
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Actually with all that said...I think it is possible I may be in a little bit of denial about the game not being as good as the previous installments, but I must say it is still an incredibly masterful game in many ways. That is how I feel.

_RED_ stuff