PDA

View Full Version : Soul Caliber II

Vic Viper
Jul 26th, 2003, 02:28 PM
EGM reviews 10, 9, 10 (GotM)

PS2
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/280650b.jpg
Controller: The PS2's controller works rather well, with a responsive D-pad and well placed buttons.

Graphics: This version has the worst graphics of the bunch, with choppy slowdown when the sparks start flying.

What Else: The load times on the PS2 aren't too hot.

Xbox
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/210301b.jpg
Conrtoller: You will hate this game on the orginal Controller F ("fatty"). But the newer Controller S is great. Some of us prefer it to the PS2 controller.

Graphics: The best. This version supports the highest resolutions for HDTV and also kicks slowdown to the curb.

What else: The load times are much faster than on the PS2.

GC
http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/220277b.jpg
Controller: Unless you reallly like pounding on one button more than the others (and if you want to play the game well you won't) the GC controller is the least comfortable (along with Xbox's Controller Fatty). The diminutive D-pad only makes things worse.

Graphics: Better then the PS2's, with no slowdown, but it doesn't get as crispy sharp as Xbox's in high resolutions.

What else: The load times are much faster than on the PS2.

so which version are you getting ?? :ghost:

Vic Viper
Jul 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
and i have a question to merly, is the slow downs really that bad for the ps2 :confused: :(

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I'm getting the xbox version now.

Infernal Mass
Jul 26th, 2003, 03:51 PM
i got the xbox version reserved

dan da man
Jul 26th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Xbox version.

happy_doughnut
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:57 AM
PS2 and GC.

Although, as I've stated before, I really have no idea why I'm getting the PS2 version. I mean, it's obviously the worst of the bunch. :disturb:

The GC version for, well, because of Link :shappy:.

- Blah. I wanted to resserve a copy, since I really want to play this game, but it seems the stores around here are being an ass.
They want to see an extremely long line that day. Bastards. :mad:

*mena will be at a local *unheard* of store early that morning.

Infernal Mass
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

PS2 and GC.

Although, as I've stated before, I really have no idea why I'm getting the PS2 version. I mean, it's obviously the worst of the bunch. :disturb:.[/color]

not entirely the worse of all. :) the control for the ps2 version is the best of all. The graphics however..well..not so good. The cube version and the xbox version will look identical unless you got a high definition television..that's where the diffrences of the two versions becomes apparent.

1st place: Xbox version - best version

last place: Playstaion 2 version - best controls overall

worst place: gamecube version...mostly because of link. and the gamecube controller.

beetlejuice
- bahaha! mena, I'll send you some money so you can get a coffee and doughnut for when your in line. XD

Frozen
Jul 28th, 2003, 11:56 AM
i'LL PROBABLY GET THE gc AND xbOX VERSIONS, SINCE i LIKE spawN AND LINK SO MUCH.

DragonSphere
Jul 28th, 2003, 04:49 PM
PS2....because, um, its the only system I have out of the three. :P

Nelo Angelo
Jul 28th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Gamecube.

I only played the GCN demo and got use to it in no time.

Azuma_Ninja
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Def the X-box version for me.

DSgamer
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:11 PM
im getting GC version

merylsilverburg
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Vic Viper

and i have a question to merly, is the slow downs really that bad for the ps2 :confused: :(

Sorry for the late reply (:P), but there were some slow-downs, but they weren't so noticeable...at least to me. *gets smacked* I would prefer to get the PS2 version because the controller is the best to play, but Xbox would be the next best (but only if you use the S type...I can't imagine using the regular controllers for the game :P).

For those who read my review of the Japanese version, I'm sorry to have mislead anyone if I did. I only played the PS2 version, so I couldn't compare it to the JP Xbox and GC ones, otherwise I would've given a full review. So, if there are any errors you guys find in the US release, I'm sorry. :heh:

Grayfox
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:45 AM
I have a demo of the ps2 version and I didnt see any load times and the game was built on Ps2 hardware

I have an of topic question why does the ps2 have load times and Xbox and gamecube have very little?

dan da man
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Grayfox
I have an of topic question why does the ps2 have load times and Xbox and gamecube have very little?

Not the fastest console out of the three?!?!? im not too sure!

Vic Viper
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Sorry for the late reply (:P), but there were some slow-downs, but they weren't so noticeable...at least to me. *gets smacked* I would prefer to get the PS2 version because the controller is the best to play, but Xbox would be the next best (but only if you use the S type...I can't imagine using the regular controllers for the game :P).

thanks;)

Vic Viper
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:57 AM
if you preorder the game on gamestop youll get,

Ps2- Limited edition art book and bonus disc with playable demos of Kill.Switch and I-Ninja

gc - Limited edition art book

xbox - Limited edition art book

sample pics of the art book
http://www.gamestop.com/gs/sc2pop/sc2_book.jpg

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/sc2pop/ivy_1_s.jpg http://www.gamestop.com/gs/sc2pop/ivy_2_s.jpg

if you preorder at ebgames youll get a free t-shirt :P

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/233011x.jpg

DragonSphere
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:22 PM
PS2 version it is! *rushes out to the mall* :arrr:

dan da man
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Cant wait for this game! Wish I could play all three games on the sytems, and see whats best...

Infernal Mass
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:40 PM
-95 Pages
-Nice sturdy cover
-Made by Brady Games
-Tells brief histories about each of the characters (excluding the "exclusive ones")
-All characters have a close up of the face in a CG render, some of the characters have hand drawn pictures showing off a couple of the costumes
-The different weapons for each character are shown (Heihachi's(sp?) "weapons" are included, but not Spawn's or Link's)
-CG renders of the different stages are in the back of the book

artbook details :smirk:

Vic Viper
Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:46 AM
all-new demo disc included with the initial packaging.

The disc itself will include playable examples of titles such as kill.switch, I-Ninja, and Tekken 4 in addition to presenting high-resolution trailers of approaching games such as R: Racing Evolution, Time Crisis 3, Pac-Man World 2, Namco Museum, Xenosaga Episode 1: Der Wille zur Macht, Ace Combat 4: Shattered Skies, and Moto GP 3. There will even be some downloadable content for Shattered Skies, Tekken 4, MotoGP 3, and Tekken Tag Tournament

source: ign (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/434/434827p1.html?fromint=1)

Infernal Mass
Aug 22nd, 2003, 03:12 AM
wow i knew it was gonna have the demos but d/l extras too! :shock:

edit: i was just thinking ..what sorta d/l extras could they throw on a disc...for Tekken Tag and Tekken 4

i hope it's something better than like save files with all the characters and stages unlocked. :sarcasm:..that would be kinda ghey. Hopefully they got some better stuff than that on there.

like for example:

new stages - but how much memory card space would that take up.

new costumes - this i can see being possible..but still how much space?

dan da man
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:51 AM
Next month its out, cant wait!!!!! this game has got a 10 in nearly ever mag, and thats just the Jap version, which aint as good!:ghost:

Vic Viper
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:45 AM
if you guys want to enhance your gaming experience, namco will also release an official arcade stick, available for a retail price of just $39.99.

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/nubysc2arcadestick1in.jpg

http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/nubysc2arcadestick3in.jpg

ign (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/433/433557p1.html?fromint=1)

Infernal Mass
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:13 AM
that's pretty cool. The design is a little ..meh but it's still pretty cool.

dan da man
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:27 PM
It looks good, but just for one game il leave it.

Infernal Mass
Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
:karate:

just a few more days left.

you know what sucks though..My local Gmaestop stopped selling games the day before release. i think they got like new management or something. :( It's all good though one day ain't gonna kill noone. Still though they use to be cool like that.

omni vengeance
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:29 PM
WOO gotta get SC2!!! Especially to have a game where you get to play as Link..heh

Infernal Mass
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:41 PM
just got back in with my copy gonna throw some impressions down shortly.

the artbooks is nice.

Infernal Mass
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM
i've been playing since i got back in.

this game is alot of fun.

There's both japanese and english voice overs.(english @ default)
The english dubs are pretty cool. Although, i prefer the japanese voices cause japanese people sound alot cooler when they get pissed off.
( :frust: :karate: )

The audio is excellent, music fits each battle very nice. The sounds are also done very well.

these are just a few first impressions.
i'll be back with more.

happy_doughnut
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:20 PM

all-new demo disc included with the initial packaging.

source: ign (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/434/434827p1.html?fromint=1)

Ah, one question:

Does this include all of the SC games for the PS2 ? I mean, is the demo disk included regardless or was this only for pre-ordered games at certain locations?

BTW, I think the GC version is actually quite good :shappy:.

stormshadow
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:29 PM
I have played the X-Box version enough to tell you that it still don't beat Soul Caliber for the Dreamcast. There is no need for me to play the other versions if the X-Box one is the best of the three. I sure would'nt to use Link but Heihachi would be cool to use, he is the man when it comes to Tekken.

Vicious_2003
Aug 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM
I rented it today for X Box and i must say. I am NOT impressed. I really dont know what earns this game a ten out of ten as its gotten from so many reviewers. I mean, what really sets this game apart ? It seems to me to be just like any other fighting game ive played. And I dont think it comes close to comparing to Virtual Fighter 4. I played it on the first difficulty and beat the game (Arcade Mode) with spawn in less than 20 minutes. There was almost no story element to the game and I found the fighting itself to be on par with most descent fighting games but I certainly wasnt wowed. The environments were bland at best and could have used some multi teers to spice things up. Im going to get deeper into the weapons mastery mode but that so far appears to be a training course that i really dont want to waste my time with. Practicing overhand chops isnt my idea of fun. If I were to review this game on a scale from 1 to ten using .5 intervals. Id give Soul Caliber II for the X Box a solid 7.5 out of ten.

I havent gotten bored enough to put SCII back in the X box. So if there are exciting elements i should check out please, fill me in.

Infernal Mass
Aug 30th, 2003, 05:19 PM
weapon master mode is where it's at. that's where the chicken and biscuits are.

The whole soul calibur/blade/edge story is still a bit confusing to me. From what i've been able to understand though, it's a pretty damn cool one. I'm still in the process of unlocking everything, like the alternate costumes and modes..there's ALOT of stuff to unlock.

Oh and let me be the first to say that Berserker character sucks ass!!

Vic Viper
Aug 30th, 2003, 05:51 PM
w00t ! just got the game today, ps2 version. im off to play the game.:ghost:

and happy_dounut the demo disc is included inside the box.;)

Infernal Mass
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Vic, try unlocking the Extra Arcade mode after creating a profile for Weapon Master Mode.

Then, when you try to unlock the character profiles by beating the game with each character use the Extra Arcade mode..instead of original.

it's a bit tougher, but you get double the gold!

easy money :greed:

Vic Viper
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:34 PM
thanks for the heads up, im still on the training mode with ivy.

Infernal Mass
Aug 30th, 2003, 06:50 PM
no problem, i found out the hard way myself. I beat the game with Kilik and Maxi before creating a profile for weapon Master mode...missed out on that gold. Then i beat the orginal mode with like half the characters before even trying out the Extra Arcade mode.

missed out on alot of gold there. :ouch: :shame:

Vicious_2003
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Ive played a little bit through the weapon Master mode and im still not too impressed. Being able to buy a few different weapons for your characters is neat, but nothing to get excited about. And i hate the storyline. Theres a legendary powerful sword and your on a quest to obtain it. Oh man, I wonder how long it took to think up ?.

I especially love the way thay string fights together with boring ass text screens that are supposed to fill in for good cut scenes I suppose . I got tired of readin them very quickly and just gave up on it. So now its random, monotonous*, battles against all too famialiar characters. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :dozey:

Sure the games got some good things going for it, but I dont see what seperates it from any other halfway descent fighting game.
And thats without mentioning the extreemly cheezy dialougue . "Listen to the beat of my soul" ? What the hell are you talking about ?

It saddens me to see great games like Enter the Matrix being dogged by the reviewers while Rehashes like SC2 get Perfect Tens. I just dont get it

Infernal Mass
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:56 PM
what kind of downloadable content is on the Ps2 demo?
the tekken stuff..what exactly did they put on there

Preventer Wind
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:22 PM
I rented it today for X Box and i must say. I am NOT impressed. I really dont know what earns this game a ten out of ten as its gotten from so many reviewers. I mean, what really sets this game apart ? It seems to me to be just like any other fighting game ive played. And I dont think it comes close to comparing to Virtual Fighter 4. I played it on the first difficulty and beat the game (Arcade Mode) with spawn in less than 20 minutes. There was almost no story element to the game and I found the fighting itself to be on par with most descent fighting games but I certainly wasnt wowed. The environments were bland at best and could have used some multi teers to spice things up. Im going to get deeper into the weapons mastery mode but that so far appears to be a training course that i really dont want to waste my time with. Practicing overhand chops isnt my idea of fun. If I were to review this game on a scale from 1 to ten using .5 intervals. Id give Soul Caliber II for the X Box a solid 7.5 out of ten.

This game is much better then Virtua Fighter 4. The Weapon Mastery mode is challenging and rewarding. It beats the crap out of Virtua Fighter 4's mode. Using weapons makes the game that much better. The choice of characters is better. The fact that there is an actual story makes the game better. The stages are better.

You're right it doesn't come close to Virtua Fighter 4 it far surpasses it.

Any way, I'm not really into Fighting Games. Once I play fighting games for 1-3 hours I get bored. But this is the best fighting game I have played ever.

Vic Viper
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by BeetleJuice

what kind of downloadable content is on the Ps2 demo?
the tekken stuff..what exactly did they put on there

for tekken tag and 4, just a code to unlock all the characters.

ace combat 4, same thing, unlock all the planes.

the kill.switch demo was pretty cool though.

Vicious_2003
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:08 AM
The Weapon Mastery mode is challenging and rewarding

I dissagree whole hartedly. The Weapon Mastery mode is just another excuse to link random battles together. And whats your reward ? Some gold so you can buy weapons that make very little difference in the battles ? Seems to me like that whole mode was thrown in to cheaply add depth to a very shallow game.

Using weapons makes the game that much better

That would be the one thing that is better in this game. And its a VERY small perk. I prefer hand to hand combat anyway

The choice of characters is better

Woa, I couldnt dissagree more. The characters in SC are flat generic rip offs of every fighter ive ever seen in this type of game. The only thing that seperates some of them is there weapons. They have the classic generic samuri. The giant very stupid looking ogre guy. I find myself not caring about any of these two demensional characters with the exception of Spawn. Allthough ill admit its fun playing as the guy who uses the staff. Hes got some great combos.

You're right it doesn't come close to Virtua Fighter 4 it far surpasses it.

Its funny. In person you tell me the games are and I quote "Like exaclty the same". And now that I make a statement against one of the games you feel the need to once again dissagree. Im beggining to belive you just make a point to disagree with me no matter what the subject :laugh: ;)

The fact that there is an actual story makes the game better

It had a story ?. Oh yeah they did throw in about 2 images of a cheezy looking sword and say you were searching for it. Oh yeah they mentioned it was legendary too. What an amazingly enthrawling story.....NOT. It would have been better as just a tournament to become the champion of fighters or something like that. I still think this game is a rehash that deserves no better than an 8 out of ten, but hey thats just my opinion. Ive only had it for one day and im bored with it

And I just remembered what i loved about VF 4 so much. You could win items to customsize your character with . There is very little customization in SCII.

Beretta55
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:30 AM
I rented SC2 for ps2 today (my blockbuster didnt even have the gamecube or xbox version of SC....they hardly have any xbox or GC games anyway.......jerks:laugh:)
but yeah im finding it fun but then again mindless fighting and beating something to a pulp always amused me:P
but its not like an experiance like i had with the first SC now that was great. i just really dont feel the same spark as the first one gave me. ah well it doesnt matter if i can beat somebody up with a huge stick im happy:laugh:

Vicious_2003
Aug 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Same here. For one reason or another I really enjoyed the first SC and this one..well..not so much

Vicious_2003
Aug 31st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Same here. For one reason or another I really enjoyed the first SC and this one..well..not so much

dan da man
Aug 31st, 2003, 12:56 PM
Awwww, I was looking forward to this game, but lots of bad feedback! is it a must get brand new?

Vic Viper
Aug 31st, 2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

Awwww, I was looking forward to this game, but lots of bad feedback! is it a must get brand new?

yes its a must, the game is great, go get it now.:ghost:

Vic Viper
Aug 31st, 2003, 01:30 PM
so which character do you use the most ?

i ditch ivy, and went with the samurai master, mitsurugi. i find his style more my type, his attacks have a great balance of speed and power.:ghost:

Infernal Mass
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:15 PM
i know everyones probably gonna laugh but i'm using Talim alot now. she has some sick moves..fast too.

i use Sueng Mina and Mitsurguri alot too.

Preventer Wind
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:37 PM
Woa, I couldnt dissagree more. The characters in SC are flat generic rip offs of every fighter ive ever seen in this type of game. The only thing that seperates some of them is there weapons. They have the classic generic samuri. The giant very stupid looking ogre guy. I find myself not caring about any of these two demensional characters with the exception of Spawn. Allthough ill admit its fun playing as the guy who uses the staff. Hes got some great combos.

Tell me where you have seen them before? And don't say previous Soul Calibur games. Sure they have a stupid Berserker but really where have you seen them before? Ivy is the only female with knockers that resemble anything close to Dead or Alive's females.

It had a story ?. Oh yeah they did throw in about 2 images of a cheezy looking sword and say you were searching for it. Oh yeah they mentioned it was legendary too. What an amazingly enthrawling story.....NOT. It would have been better as just a tournament to become the champion of fighters or something like that. I still think this game is a rehash that deserves no better than an 8 out of ten, but hey thats just my opinion. Ive only had it for one day and im bored with it

If they would have done that you would have complained it's like every other fighting game. EGM described each characters story in this months or last months magazine. Read it. You could go through Weapon Mastery Mode and find it out. But my guess is that you went through the first 2 cities and judged it on that. Can you even tell me Virtua Fighter 4's story off the top of your head?

I dissagree whole hartedly. The Weapon Mastery mode is just another excuse to link random battles together. And whats your reward ? Some gold so you can buy weapons that make very little difference in the battles ? Seems to me like that whole mode was thrown in to cheaply add depth to a very shallow game.

The weapons make a lot of difference. Some of them heal some of them have better defense some of them have better offense. The mode makes the game better then any other fighting game simply for it's uniqueness. It adds depth to a fighting game. Something every fighting game needs. Sure the mode could be a lot better but it is better then any other mode like it.

That would be the one thing that is better in this game. And its a VERY small perk. I prefer hand to hand combat anyway

Do you realize what you just said? You just said using weapons is better. But you prefer hand to hand. Explain that one to me.

And I just remembered what i loved about VF 4 so much. You could win items to customsize your character with . There is very little customization in SCII.

You can customize your weapon and change your outfit (I know every character has at least 3 outfits). What other customization would you like? And to win those items you had to fight in random battles that did nothing but give you items. So how does that make it better then Weapon Mastery Mode?

I did tell you that the games were the same only SC2 is better because it had weapons. I had played the game maybe an hour. I hadn't even gotten into Weapon Mastery Mode.

I use Ivy the most. Cervantes is my second favorite.

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:56 PM
I just got SC2 for GameCube, and I must say it is the best fighter I have ever played since SC for Dreamcast.

Vicious_2003
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:50 PM
If they would have done that you would have complained it's like every other fighting game

Ok now you think you can put words in my mouth ? Sorry, it dont work like that. I would hav epreffered cool looking cut scenes

But my guess is that you went through the first 2 cities and judged it on that

I got to through the one huge doengeon where you unlock berserker. And to the level where you fight the kinf of Pirates. How freakin corny is that. In the end you fight some generick looking pirate. LAME

The weapons make a lot of difference

I bought 4 weapons and I can tell you they made no difference in the battles

It adds depth to a fighting game

By stringing repetative battles together with a screen of text. Wow...thats some amazing depth.

Do you realize what you just said? You just said using weapons is better. But you prefer hand to hand. Explain that one to me.

Yes I do realize what I said, and i meant it. I think having weapons allows for more interesting moves when they are incorperated. That was the one thing I enjoyed more, the creative combos. But I prefer hand to hand. Just the syle. It doesent allow for as many creative moves but I still enjoy it

Sure the mode could be a lot better but it is better then any other mode like it.

If you say so, I still enjoyed VF4's mode more. MUCH more

As far as characters I enjoyed playing as Kilik the most. His combos are great with the staff.

You can customize your weapon and change your outfit (I know every character has at least 3 outfits).

Oh wow you can choose a pre set outfit. Sorry but by definition pre set, is NOT customization. And you cant customsize your weapon much you can simply replace them. Wich is a good option . I just cant get into this weapon mastery mode. Ill admit im not good at the game, never was good at these kind of games. So that takes out some of the enjoyment. But I was no better at VF4.

Also. How do you evade strikes when your on the ground after being knocked down. I find that once my enemy manages to get me on the ground they just do attack after attack and I never get to get back up again. Half the time I get knocked down after one hit and never get the chance to get back to my feet. Also I find the block to be rather worthless most of the time. And preventer, you said yourself that the Weapon Master mode could be much better. I agree..so why do they hand it a perfect score. I find this game to be shallow and somewhat boring . But I guess that could be my taste in games talking. I put fighting games near the same catagory as nascar. BOOOORRRIIINNGG

Vicious_2003
Sep 1st, 2003, 02:17 AM
Ok, ok ive played a bit farther into the weapon mastery mode and i must say i do find it much more enjoyable now as the beattles start to switch up. I still dont think ti deserves a perfect ten but it isnt quite as bad as I had first thought. I should play it more before I pass such harsh judgement. I still preffered VF4 and Kumite mode but this will do

Infernal Mass
Sep 1st, 2003, 02:22 AM
@$*!!

i'm stuck right now..:frust:

I was kicking ass all over the place with talim, then i turned into lizardman and have to fight 4 people with bombs all over the damn floor and walls...what the hell are they gonna do to me next?

I can't even use lizard man, i'm getting spanked by slow fools like Berserker.

:boo:

anyways..

What's everyones favorite stage..i think Seung Mina's home turf and that egyptian level are the best.

talim stage get's honorable mention.

dan da man
Sep 1st, 2003, 09:01 AM

yes its a must, the game is great, go get it now.:ghost:

Its not out yet in the UK:laugh:

But im going to take your advice!:ghost:

Vic Viper
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by BeetleJuice

@$*!!

i'm stuck right now..:frust:

I was kicking ass all over the place with talim, then i turned into lizardman and have to fight 4 people with bombs all over the damn floor and walls...what the hell are they gonna do to me next?

I can't even use lizard man, i'm getting spanked by slow fools like Berserker.

:boo:

anyways..

What's everyones favorite stage..i think Seung Mina's home turf and that egyptian level are the best.

talim stage get's honorable mention.

how far are you into the game ? i just finish WMM last night, just started my second run at WMM today. :ghost:

my favorite stage is mitsurugi's level.

Vic Viper
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

Its not out yet in the UK:laugh:

But im going to take your advice!:ghost:

wise decision.:ghost:http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Nelo Angelo
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:42 PM
I got all the weapons for every character yesterday.

Still need to get all of the 3rd costumes for them though. o_o

I prefer to use Nightmare, Link, and Mitsurgi.

Infernal Mass
Sep 1st, 2003, 08:54 PM
lv.48 Bronze Knight

i'm at the Talitha Gambling Den (Extra Mission)
Lizardman is cool and all..but i wish i knew some of his more advanced moves. I'm getting killed over here.

*edit finally beat it. :blink: Now i'm stuck fighting Mitsurguri and Talim. (Altair)

i'm at Bronze Champion now.

Vicious_2003
Sep 1st, 2003, 11:46 PM
It would take a good while to get all the constumes, theyre pretty damned expensive compared to weapons

DragonSphere
Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:15 AM
Finished the Weapon Master Mode today...think I'm at level 26 or something, gonna go at it again tomorrow. I'm alternating between Raphael (damn fast with the rapier) and Mitsurugi right now.

Best way to find money for me was that one arena level (5 enemies) with the bonuses- you can get at least 20,000 Gold easily there.

It would take a good while to get all the constumes, theyre pretty damned expensive compared to weapons

Hell yeah they are...only got 2 costumes so far: one for Mitsurugi and Nightmare.

Infernal Mass
Sep 2nd, 2003, 01:37 AM
just as Dragonsphere mentioned, there's a stage i think it's Chapter 9-2. You get gold for every hit..the most i've gotten in one go is around 30,400. It's almost assured that you'll make around 28,000 to 30,000.

anyone else get a diffrent title screen? mine changed it shows all the characters now, the voice that says.."SOUL CALIBUR 2!!1" changed too.. One time i started it up it sounded like Talim was saying it, another time it sounded like Spawn.

mitsuguri ownz with his masamune btw. It excels in both offense and defense , plus when he does a soul charge his speed increases.

also anyone else notice yoshimitsu has a sword called zantetsuken? that's the same name of the sword used by Odin in FFVIII

Nelo Angelo
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:04 PM
Ah........But the Damascus Sword > Masamune.

I brought all the costumes today, after all you could just go to Stage 9-2 and beat it over and over.

I forgot to mention that I'm a lvl 76(Platinum Edgemaster).

Oh, and is Spawn good? I only have the GCN version and I'm curious.

Vicious_2003
Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:06 PM
In my opnions spawn in not very good. Hes rather slow. He looks fantastic but as i said..too slow. You figure theyd make him really powerful to counter act his speed diability, but alas they did not. I prefer someone quick who can launch constant rapid asaults . Spawns is rather the opposite

merylsilverburg
Sep 5th, 2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Nelo Angelo

I forgot to mention that I'm a lvl 76(Platinum Edgemaster).

Yeah, me too. But, is that the highest level you can reach? If so, it's kinda annoying they left it off at an uneven number. Why not 75 or 80? Or even 100? :confused:

The characters that I don't like much is Beserker and Assassin. They don't much appeal to me. My sister bought the GC version and I bought the PS2 and Xbox version. Link is pretty cool, but the GC controller is kinda difficult to use. I haven't tried the Xbox version yet.

XXAVIERR
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:59 AM
I'm still only at level 68. I've still got a couple of the dungeons to go through on the second chapter. I've got the PS2 version and have to agree with the reviews about the graphics and control of the game. The only bad thing about this game, is the load time between fights. Hope to finish off the rest of the levels and unlock the rest of the items this weekend. TGIFF.

XXAVIERR
Sep 5th, 2003, 09:10 AM
I've still got one character that hasn't been unlocked.......bottom left corner. Who is it and how do I unlock him/her/it?

Infernal Mass
Sep 14th, 2003, 02:58 PM
i don't like this game though...honestly.

the music is terrible and the graphics...can someone please tell me what is up with the graphics?

It's like i'm playing a damn Sega Genesis game on the Xbox.

;)

I can't stop playing this game, it's like crack, i've never smoked crack but...well it's probably something like this.

Nelo Angelo
Sep 14th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Yeah, me too. But, is that the highest level you can reach? If so, it's kinda annoying they left it off at an uneven number. Why not 75 or 80? Or even 100? :confused:.

Nah, I think you can go up to level 99.

It'll take a very long time though.

Rev0lution
Sep 23rd, 2003, 02:58 PM
Yes i believe the limit is 100 i am currently a level 79. I love this game, the graphics aren't too bad on the xbox version. Some of the missions seem to go to extreme's one moment the guy demolishs you and the next you beat him with ease.

Overall i would say this game's playability should receive a 8 out of 10

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 4th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Bought this last weekend for PS2 so here are my thoughts...

Load times are noticeable but hardly frustrating - besides, it just provides a great look at the character models.

I haven't noticed any obvious slowdown - or if I have I've just thought it was a special effect! The graphics are nice, crisp and sharp (well, through RGB SCART anyway) but don't have the same 'wow' factor as some earlier PS2 titles. I think this is because we're maybe so used to seeing graphics of this quality - but you do appreciate the graphics more by watching someone else play.

Sound is suitably grandoise as always - the classical-style themes really suit the Soul series to a tee so it was nice to see that not being changed.

The character endings are somewhat of a disappointment. After the superlative CG endings of Soul Edge/Blade (PS1), Namco have resorted to the same style that was present in Soul Calibur.

I'm finding it more enjoyable than Soul Calibur on the DC (I don't think the DC pad helped matters) but to me, neither game are quite as good as the original Soul Edge/Blade.

I miss the original A+B+K combo - the Soul Charge doesn't do it for me unfortunately. I also miss the fact that weapons could be destroyed thus rendering a defensive player practically defenceless - SC/SCII don't penalise players who guard lots.

I can't comment on the GC or Box versions cos I ain't played them, but SCII on PS2 gets the Spank Seal Of Approval.

Both thumbs up from me - easily worth buying and this is coming from someone who finds the likes of Tekken and Virtua Fighter to be sodding boring!

- S

Infernal Mass
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:43 AM
anyone beat Original survival mode? What happens..

Also i unlocked a new title screen recently..it shows the weapons now with little pics of the stages in the background. I think it shows up after unlocking everything..even the two opening movies for the arcade and home versions.

XXAVIERR
Oct 29th, 2003, 10:50 AM
I had to quit playing this game. I left it alone for a little while and then when I went back to play it, it said that my file was corrupted. I lost all my saved information and couldn't save anything from there on out. One day I'll sit back down and start unlocking everything again.

Infernal Mass
Nov 1st, 2003, 01:49 AM
i'd be pretty mad if my data got erased.

actually i was considering going thru weapon master mode again, but those damn temples are annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if i could save like half way thru them...i didn't really feel like going thru all that again.

XXAVIERR
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:47 AM
It's just not the same playing this game without the extra stages, weapons and characters.

Infernal Mass
Nov 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM
yep, but the Original Survival mode is fun. Good practice too, the opponents get tough at around 10 wins. I think the most i have is 12. I could probably get more if i cheesed out though.