PDA

View Full Version : ff4, 5 & 6 released on handheld?

nanjij
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:06 PM
as u know squarsoft recently have been recently been rereleasing all the old ff on fifferent consoles, eg ff anothology, chronicles etc but there r plans for ff4, 5 & 6 to be release on a hand held
this is wots going on

The three titles that appeared on the Super Nintendo (Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V and Final Fantasy VI), will be remade for handhelds. The question is, which handheld system will see the games? Hironobu Sakaguchi, director of the Final Fantasy series and Square's Vice President, has admitted it would likely be impossible to do the games for the Wonderswan, and stated he would prefer to see them on the Game Boy Advance, if possible. As relations between Square and Nintendo have been somewhat strained in recent years, this is the first official announcement of interest in developing for Nintendo since Square jumped ship for the Playstation. It looks, however, as though Square is willing to put their differences aside; Square CEO Hisashi Suzuki said that "We are doing whatever effort is needed, in order to release the games on it."

if they were released on gba i would have to buy a gba cause this for 1 and the new dbz games also being released on this console

GaseousSnake
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:21 PM
Kool.

:cool: i think we will see a Squaresoft game in GC since its likely to make its debut on the GBA.

jenova_jeb
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:30 PM
I would really love to see the old Final Fantasies (and perhaps some new ones?) on the GBA. My GBA is doing nothing but collecting dust. But if Final Fantasy were to be released, I'd play it all the time! I'd also love to see a Chrono Trigger port.

P.S. Final Fantasy 5 was only released on SNES in Japan. :roll: It never made it to the US except for in the form of a Playstation port, and hasn't come near to seeing the light of day in the UK.

kupoartist
Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:01 AM
Yeah this would be really cool (and I could justify having gotten a GBA) But there's a long and real problematic situation that I can't explain right now. because I've got to go to Hockey :/

kupoartist
Mar 3rd, 2002, 08:37 AM
Okies...
About a year ago Square unveiled their development plan for the subsequent year, this involved remakes of Final Fanatsies IV-VI for the GBA (mainly because Bandai's Wonderswan Color was suspected to be unable to cope with the quality required). Nintendo's response was a swift "No thanks" to Square, resulting with Nintendo's refusal to grant Square a developer's license, largely in light of various relations break-downs over the years;

The Science Bit:
Nintendo/Square relations have been strained for two main reasons.
- Firstly despite early development of FFVII for the N64 (a tech-demo, though only an mpeg, exists using Shadow, Terra and Celes(or at least I think so) In a fully 3D battle environment), Square switched to Sony because the promise of their higher capacity cds (instead of carts) that would allow things like FMVs (easily at least). This insulted Nintendo futher because Sony's ties with developing SNES add-ons prior to the Playstation.
- Secondly, Square decided to develop for Bandai's Wonderswan series, the key developing team consisted of ex-Nintendo staff among them the Gameboy's creator...

However (thankfully) the situation is improving. Square have been quick to "lick-bottom" throughout the last year, by complimenting Nintendo every chance they can. Recently Suzuki was quoted to have complimented the Gamecube on it's easy to use developing tools, suggesting that they actually have a developer's license. Also the man most opposed to Square within Nintendo, President Yamuchi, retires this May.

Despite all that, Square went ahead and developed FFIV for the wonderswan anyway:shock:

Soul Angel
Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:14 AM
That would be pretty cool if some of the old FF games came out on the GBA
If they are released then I'll be defintly getting a GBA so that I can play them :)

Btw the_artist that was some pretty interesting info you got there, I always knew that Square and Nintendo didn't get along to well with each other, but I never knew excactly the reason why? :confused:

Faile
Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:52 PM
i read that Nintendo refused Square permission to release the early FF games on the GBA or on any Nintendo system, but this to me seems like the type of commercial suicide that nintendo needs to avoid in order not to follow Sega's falling out of the hardware market

kupoartist
Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Faile
i read that Nintendo refused Square permission to release the early FF games on the GBA or on any Nintendo system, but this to me seems like the type of commercial suicide that nintendo needs to avoid in order not to follow Sega's falling out of the hardware market

On the other hand, Square are in deep turd financially (after the movie bombed)... the sad truth is that Square needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs Square....

Faile
Mar 3rd, 2002, 04:46 PM
yick . thats a horrible thought .

EVERYBODY !

GO BUY THE FF MOVIE DVD !

talon101
Mar 4th, 2002, 08:38 PM
i herd ff sprits within was a bad movie:confused:

kupoartist
Mar 5th, 2002, 02:13 PM
A matter of opinion... for me it didn't suck, it just wasnt anything special. Mind you, they're telling the truth when they say "You'll sometimes forget you're watching animated characters" - The animation is Beautiful, and unsurpassed. Just a shame Square Pictures won't exist soon :(

DragonSphere
Mar 5th, 2002, 08:52 PM
I've been watitng for Square to do this ever since they released the remake of FFI for Wonderswan; since Bandai would never release the WS in the US due to the popularity of the Gameboy franchise. I can't wait!