PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: AoD Disappointment

merylsilverburg
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:31 AM
I know there is already a Tomb Raider thread out there, but I wanted to create this thread to express my disappointment in the game. Though hardcore gamers would probably buy it (like me), I'm sure that many would be upset at the many slowdowns, glitches/bugs, and freezes that occur during the game.

Pros:
- Beautiful, detailed enviroments. It seems that Core took the time to really create the levels because I was in complete awe. The weather effects, like the rain (only one I saw so far) looked pretty realistic and some of the mist/fog looked nice as well.

- Character textures are much smoother which gives the characters a realistic look to them. Lara is much more rounded and in better shape...her ponytail swings appropriately and strands fly when jumping, swimming, etc.

- The interaction with characters is a really great new feature. You are given options during the game to choose what to say at moments. Depending on what you choose, determines the reaction/outcome of the person you're speaking to. I enjoyed these parts immensely. Plus, the voice acting isn't half-bad.

- Story is pretty intriguing and it moves along quite well because of the feature mentioned above. I don't want to give anything away, but let's just say that I'm pretty curious on finding out what happens and will continue to play.

Cons:
- Slowdowns....a lot. It happens when running and jumping from ledge to ledge. I think it's due partly because of the massive enviroments which causes the movement of Lara to act this way.

- Glitches/bugs. I thought that Eidos/Core said they kept delaying this game to fix up on those. But, it turns out that a lot were still in the game and unfixed. I once tried to make Lara jump on a ledge, but somehow she ran into the wall and began walking. She just kept walking and nothing I did stopped it, so I had to reset. The enviroments also, at times, have some problems. I tried to jump to a moving railing/ledge and even though I know that she made it, she would fall straight through the ledge and fall to her death. Also, there are times when I tap down the "Walk" button in order to make her walk and when I reach a ledge where she's "supposed to not fall", she does. :disturb: The "Walk" symbol on the screen would disappear and I would fall to my death. Let's just say, I had never died more in the beginning of a TR game...

- Freezing/locked up. Three times in the game, it froze on me. I tried to make Lara run into a different room and at the same exact moment, the game would freeze. I resetted 3 times and it did the same thing. By then I had to stop and calm down because I was already frustrated as it is.

- Control. Okay, maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I don't like the analog controls that much. I know that it's meant to make Lara have more control when turning, moving, etc. but it's actually worse, IMO. She doesn't have that handy "Tap back once" to prepare for a long jump anymore. Now, you basically have to make her run around once to get her moving, then jump to the ledge where you want to go. It's hard to explain, but hopefully someone will understand what I mean.

- "Leveling up" system (like in a RPG). A lot of new features are added to this game and one of them is the ability to "level up" Lara. She starts off not being able to run quickly, move/pull heavy objects, and others I've yet to discover. However, as you move along in the game, doing certain tasks will increase Lara's strength in her arms and legs. This will help her move heavier objects, run more faster, etc. While this feature is pretty damn cool, it may be incredibly annoying to some who are used to "the old Lara".

Gah, enough of my rant. While I will play through the game (because I'm curious about the story and I'm just a fan of the TR series), I honestly say that this is a definite rental. Hmm...my personal score for this game would be a 6 out of 10.

Infernal Mass
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:39 AM
i didn't get very far into the game when i tried it out yesterday. I got to the part where Lara is searching for Bouchard..and takes up a job to get info.

I only experianced slowdowns at the beginning of the game while on the rooftop. The game has never froze on me.

The controls take some getting use to, but by the end of the first night i was back to top TR form. Having played thru the first 2 games didn't help me, other than with the timing of jumps. The analog controls are better than an TR's 3-5. Tap back once on the left analog stick and she does a comlpete 180. then walk back tap again run and jump. Yes there is an extra tap involved in completeing a long jump. Nothing too taxing.

There's one thing people are forgetting about this game...and it has to do with Lara's level up system..

She starts the game out rusty, having not been on any adventures since eygpt.(TR: the last revelation) As you progress thru the game she gets back to her usual top condition. I thought that was a pretty interesting feature for Core to add to the game. It adds to the overall plot.

dan da man
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:51 AM
I would just like to say thanks for the review meryl, you have just made up my mind to get the game or not, Bang on gal.

I like the choice what you can pick to say, I am only geting this game bacue I have have been a fan from the begining of the series, is the music as good as the old TR's, does it give the TR feeling?

MakgSnake
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Well yeah the game musical score is the only thing that lived up the hype. Its really good, thats what I heard. But everything else is just plain bad. Thanks Meryl for the indepth review. I was soooo gonna buy this game.....but now I am just soo mad that I cannot even explain.

When you pushback a game, and that a MILLION times, you are suppose to fix everything and I MEAN everything. To give us players an almost perfect game. Its a possibility.!!!. All I think is that the game was ALL READY in NOVEMBER, they just kept pushing it back so they can more money from the game with its MOVIE RELEASE. Those bastards, just thought about money and nothing else.

I already had a feeling that the game is going to suck after reading Core Design co-founder Jeremy Heath-Smith's interview. This is what HE SAID...

We could've spent another year on it. But you can do that with any big game, so we had to draw a line in the sand, which we did some time ago, and say: "That's it guys - let's lock down content and just get this bloody thing finished

There's fifty hours of gameplay - we're not going to get every bug out of it. How can I emulate two million people playing it differently in a day? I can tell you this: we can't find any crash bugs. Are there times when things may go a bit weird? Yeah, course there are, but you show me a game that doesn't do that -- What a jerk --

C&V: As you've said, the first Tomb Raider was revolutionary at the time. Do you still feel the series is as relevant and full of impact now?

H-S: No; how can it? All we want to do is ensure we've created a great game on what is already a big licence. People having given it scores of 8/10 so far and I'm asked if I'm upset. Well no: I wouldn't expect any more -- He himself knows already that game is not gonna get the best review, how sad is that --

It just makes me soo freaking sad. Those core bastards.

merylsilverburg
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DigiMortal

I only experianced slowdowns at the beginning of the game while on the rooftop. The game has never froze on me.

It may differ for people, but for me, the game froze after you find Bouchard
But now, I'm really f*cking pissed off because the game has frozen indefinitely and I can't do anything about it. I'll have to start the whole game over!! :censored: :censored:

The controls take some getting use to, but by the end of the first night i was back to top TR form. Having played thru the first 2 games didn't help me, other than with the timing of jumps. The analog controls are better than an TR's 3-5. Tap back once on the left analog stick and she does a comlpete 180. then walk back tap again run and jump. Yes there is an extra tap involved in completeing a long jump. Nothing too taxing.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I didn't take the time to read the booklet or anything which is probably why I had no idea you can do that. :heh:

Originally posted by dan da man

I like the choice what you can pick to say, I am only geting this game bacue I have have been a fan from the begining of the series, is the music as good as the old TR's, does it give the TR feeling?

Like Makg said, the music is actually quite good and did live up to everyone's expectations. The music is intense at all the right moments, like during the cinematic scenes and in different area. I wish I could tell you more, but I was too frustrated with everything else to pay attention. Let's just say the music is really great. :)

Originally posted by MakgSnake

When you pushback a game, and that a MILLION times, you are suppose to fix everything and I MEAN everything. To give us players an almost perfect game. Its a possibility.!!!. All I think is that the game was ALL READY in NOVEMBER, they just kept pushing it back so they can more money from the game with its MOVIE RELEASE. Those bastards, just thought about money and nothing else.

Yeah and the result is this game that completely doesn't live up to its expectations and reason for delay. I'm not saying that the game is so bad that everyone should avoid it like the plague or anything. But, all the mistakes/errors that occur during the game can be extremely frustrating and a major turn off (especially to those impatient and semi-impatient gamers, like me).

I already had a feeling that the game is going to suck after reading Core Design co-founder Jeremy Heath-Smith's interview. This is what HE SAID...

We could've spent another year on it. But you can do that with any big game, so we had to draw a line in the sand, which we did some time ago, and say: "That's it guys - let's lock down content and just get this bloody thing finished

There's fifty hours of gameplay - we're not going to get every bug out of it. How can I emulate two million people playing it differently in a day? I can tell you this: we can't find any crash bugs. Are there times when things may go a bit weird? Yeah, course there are, but you show me a game that doesn't do that --What a jerk --

C&V: As you've said, the first Tomb Raider was revolutionary at the time. Do you still feel the series is as relevant and full of impact now?

H-S: No; how can it? All we want to do is ensure we've created a great game on what is already a big licence. People having given it scores of 8/10 so far and I'm asked if I'm upset. Well no: I wouldn't expect any more --He himself knows already that game is not gonna get the best review, how sad is that --

It just makes me soo freaking sad. Those core bastards.

Omg, I had no idea about this interview at all. What the hell is that about? "We can't find any crash bugs. Are there times when things may go a bit weird? Yeah, course there are, but you show me a game that doesn't do that" Hello?!?!
Argh! This is what happens when a series becomes a major franchise. The developers then think it's okay to screw up a game just because they know that everyone will buy it as long as it has "Tomb Raider" or "Lara Croft" on there. Ugh, this is making me so mad...

Frozen
Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:01 PM
That's why I always wait for everyone to buy those so much anticipated games and see how they go... plus I buy them half or third the release price :laugh:

EIDOS and CORE are just like MIDWAY: they have absoultely awsome ideas, but their mediocricity allows them to release "passable" games instead of the "badass" games they could become if they were more professional.

goodman
Jul 14th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I dont know that TAOD has done so well in sales because after the many PS1 installments i think the series has grown stale in many peoples minds. I have no idea how well the sales have gone, if they are good its partly because of the summer drought. After playing the first, ive just looked at a few others, never bought another. I think the movie sequel could be pretty good, if that counts, hehe...

Infernal Mass
Jul 16th, 2003, 02:50 AM
:laugh: hey another thing that's wierd about the game is whatever you pick up.. money, health whatever..comes back after you visit a diffrent area and return..

:sarcasm: it's like what the hell is the use of money, if i can run around in circles for an hour and collect all i want..still though there arre moments in the game that are cool..i'm glad i bought it. I just wish Core had another year to fix the game.. XD

IbEyOpImP
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:14 PM
:frust: i hate the way the enemies blink and disappears it reminds me of super mario or something

Virtualeclipse
Jul 17th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Yeah it sucks. I was in the middle of the game when it froze. If thats going to happen they should put it on 2 CD's. To much of the CD is being used. The space is very minimum.

REChick14
Jul 18th, 2003, 05:34 PM
I rented the game and yes the game is a bit of disappointment. I have experienced the freezing during gameplay but overall I thought the game was pretty good. I like to look at the goodpoints like for example if you look back from the first TR to now you can see a big improvement. The graphics are much smoother and as said before the controls are much better. Also if you run out of ammo you can actually fight the enemy. The only thing I didnt like was that theres no more sprinting in the game. I used to do that alot in TR 3, when you have to sprint then roll to like get to the other side before the door closes or something. But since I love the TR series so much Ill still go buy the game.

Infernal Mass
Jul 18th, 2003, 07:51 PM
there is sprinting in the game, you unlock that ability on the way out of the Lourve. After you retrieve the first obscura painting from the Hall of Seasons.

I've played worse games..alot worse

REChick14
Jul 18th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by DigiMortal

there is sprinting in the game, you unlock that ability on the way out of the Lourve. After you retrieve the first obscura painting from the Hall of Seasons.

I've played worse games..alot worse

Oh ok. My bad. I guess I didnt get that far. Thanks for telling me! Now I know.

Infernal Mass
Jul 18th, 2003, 10:27 PM
how far were you able to get?

i'm glad they added the sprint into the game..for awhile i was sorta dissapointed that it wasn't in there.

REChick14
Jul 19th, 2003, 02:49 PM
I was actually at the Hall of Seasons. I had one more season to go before I had to bring the game back. I hated one season though. It was the one where you were at Hades. I kept falling into the lava pit. I wasnt a happy camper..

Infernal Mass
Jul 19th, 2003, 09:34 PM
oh yeah, the one where the steps move around?..ah i hated that one. I died like 10 times trying to make it back across.

the other three were alright, i beat the water trial real quick. That one was the easiest, the sanctuary of flame was fun too. Wrath of the beast and Breath of Hades were the toughest for me.

Redpyramidhead
Jul 20th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Nice in depth review on the main page by Meryl, I would have to say.:cool: Writing videogame reviews is hard and this was done very well and informatively. I advise people to check it out (for those who haven't yet.)

_RED_ stuff