PDA

View Full Version : Sony's KIN, a Halo Killer!?

MakgSnake
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:04 AM
Sony plans to release a game called "KIN" also known as Kill Zone which is suppose to be a HALO killer. Kin is being developed by the Lost Boys, a group out of the Netherlands, and here is what we know so far:

- the game will include multiplayer co-op online play, as well as various other 16 player modes.

- voice communication will be supported via the PS2's headset.

- the game runs at a constant 60 FPS and is said to be the best-looking PS2 title yet, even better than Gran Turismo 4 (?!).

- the control scheme will be similar to Halo. Imitiation is the sincerest form of flattery!

- streaming technology will be used to eliminate load times, ala Jak + Daxter.

- the "kill zone" term refers to a gameplay dynamic which would slow a player's targeting, giving them a slight advantage over other players.... is this first-person bullet-time? It's not known if this feature will be included in the final game as of yet.

- the game is rumored to use the Havok physics engine found in Half-Life 2.

- the game's soundtrack will be performs by a symphony orchestra.

- the targeted release date is sometime in Fall 2004.

Sounds pretty good to me. But a HALO killer?..... Hmmm......We'll have to see. The source says that whats more important is that if its going to be a HALO 2 killer.

The Source. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/cgi-bin/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1054591272,25221,)

Sleazy P Martini
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Halo killer? I've heard that one before. But then again...who can tell now. Regardless a new FPS is always welcome.

mark0™
Jun 4th, 2003, 09:39 AM
meh, they shouldnt make big promises straight away.

Bullet time, sounds good, but heres something I've always wondered, how can you pull off Bullet Time in Multiplayer games? That would mean one player would be behind the other player in terms of Time if he were to use more bullet time than the other player. And it hurts my head to think about it :disturb:

I think its a bad idea to try and copy and better a great game, its pretty sad actually. They should decide what game they want, what the want in it and how they are going to do it regardless of what other programmers do.

But I guess a bit or Rivalry will be good.

Vic Viper
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:49 PM
sounds promising, hope turns out well.:)

kupoartist
Jun 4th, 2003, 12:58 PM
its a bad idea to start off a game's publicity by making a direct comparison with another title. Not least because the game in question will be super-seeded by a Sequel, and probably Half-Life 2 (after Unreal 2, i'm not making any assumptions based on hype and pretty screenshots :D ). Furthermore, i'll believe it when I see it, so to speak.... 60fps, Havok Physics and good graphics are not somthing i'd expect the PS2 to be capable of. Valve certainly don't think so, otherwise you'd be seeing half-life 2 on the PS2 (though it is supposedly due for X-Box, which i'm sure is great news for some of you, if a little bit more of a blow to the "X-Box isn't a PC in a Box" brigade)... but perhaps its not impossible. And it would appear to be scheduled to give the PS2 a final push... if they see it as a bit optimistic, I expect it'll slip over to the PS3...

dan da man
Jun 4th, 2003, 01:11 PM
It cant kill Halo, that game is old and a legend now, it can be certainly better, I hope it does turn out better than halo 2, so xbox are not the only ones with class FPS, but all in all it sounds promising, "the best-looking PS2 title yet".

Zephyr
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:56 PM
It does sound like a very promising game to me but I just dont think it could overtake Halo but it could certainly be better than Halo 2. I didnt like that sequel at all.

Vicious_2003
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:34 PM
All I have to say is HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA. I will belive it WHEN i see it. Till then ill give no more thought to sony trying (And probably failing) to kill Halo. Besides by then Halo 2 will be here and no ones kiling that

MakgSnake
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I dont know.............I mean HALO is seriously an amazing FPS, and one can notice it when you play it multiplayer. But after looking at KIN's features........ it does sound like a Halo Killer.

- the game will include multiplayer co-op online play, as well as various other 16 player modes.

I know HALO 2 will be online, but will it contain Co-Op ONLINE feature?.?

- the game runs at a constant 60 FPS and is said to be the best-looking PS2 title yet, even better than Gran Turismo 4 (?!).

Well we all know that HALO didn't run at 60 FPS, but at 30. So Kin has that advantage for you. I think Halo 2 will be running at 60 Framerate/Seconds. I hope! Although them saying that it'll look better then GT4 is VERY VERY HARD to believe, but there is so much that can be done with PS2. They'll probably squeeze everything out from the machine.

But then I also need some shots to convince myself more.

Beretta55
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Hey im up for any FPS im a huge FPS buff. Halo was great all it needed were bots. most of my friends dont have xboxes so we can do the huge 16 player matches. but if kin has some bots.....i'll be in fps muti-player heaven man;)

Preventer Wind
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM
To be honest guys...the only feature that was stollen was the control setup....which will probably be customizable. And how you can have a control setup like a game on a different console that uses a different controller is beyond my knowledge. But it does not say it will be Halo ala Brute Force.... but it will be better..."Kill" Halo. Which unless it is released on every console plus the computer will never ever happen.

Obviously the game sounds great...if all that will be in the game. The chances of it coming out in fall 2004 I would say are slim. In fact they should scratch the game and make it ready for the ps3 launch. Because if what they say is going to be in the game...it will take a lot of time....and they could make it so so so much better for a more powerful machine. So good....that Halo 3 would have to be a KIN killer.

I though Halo was a good game...certainly not the greatest game of all time....or even close. And given the option to play Halo or Perfect Dark I wouldn't think about it... I would play Perfect Dark.

dan da man
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Preventer Wind
Obviously the game sounds great...if all that will be in the game. The chances of it coming out in fall 2004 I would say are slim. In fact they should scratch the game and make it ready for the ps3 launch. Because if what they say is going to be in the game...it will take a lot of time....and they could make it so so so much better for a more powerful machine. So good....that Halo 3 would have to be a KIN killer.

I though Halo was a good game...certainly not the greatest game of all time....or even close. And given the option to play Halo or Perfect Dark I wouldn't think about it... I would play Perfect Dark.

I agree, a PS3 release would be much better, but for it to be better than halo and halo 2 it needs better graphics, and I cant see the PS2 doing that, from the option and gameplay KIN sounds better. And like PW said it not the best game ever, I muched perfered Golden Eye to Halo.

kupoartist
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:14 PM
notice how they're yet to comment on the integrity of the one thing that all good FPSs like Halo have always had in the past: Story!

regardless, PSXNation (the source for the abriged article)
http://www.psxnation.com/news/newsstory?idnumber=001368

from that, Most of the "facts" are actually just opinions of people who've (allegedly) seen the game in action. Who here has a function in their retina that allows you to accurately calculate how many FPS are being displayed? (whats more, its in Europe, and isn't 60hz actually being displayed, impossible?) They're just over excited dribblings, and I hope the game doesn't kill itself on its own hype like so many have before. Because it would be nice to have a decent FPS on the PS2 for once.

Zephyr
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:49 PM
I dont know about you guys but I think they might go and do a Nintendo and release a version for the PSP as well.

Preventer Wind
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by the_artist
Who here has a function in their retina that allows you to accurately calculate how many FPS are being displayed? (whats more, its in Europe, and isn't 60hz actually being displayed, impossible?) They're just over excited dribblings, and I hope the game doesn't kill itself on its own hype like so many have before. Because it would be nice to have a decent FPS on the PS2 for once.

Well I know from what I have heard a lot of people wish Halo had run on 60hz....so I don't think it is impossible.

And a lot of games have been killed by so much hype...so It's not good to start off with all this about it being a Halo killer.

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 9th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Nothing will top Halo especially something from the PS2. Now don't take offense to that I love my PS2 but it's not going to compete with the x-box's overall power. I've never liked the ps2 controller for FPS anyway. But if it does top Halo, Halo2 is coming soon so good luck KIN.

Zephyr
Jun 9th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Im sorry but HALO 2 does not look all that good to me. Yes, the box has god overall capability but dont forget its still the second best console in the wrold for power - that would have to be a brand new PC. But wahtever lets not arue. I think KIN might be good but not as good as Halo, maybe as good as Halo 2 seeing what ive seen so far though.

dan da man
Jun 9th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Zephyr

Im sorry but HALO 2 does not look all that good to me.

:peoples: What ever floats your boat mate. I know we havent seen much, but the footage ive seen, it looks better than the first.

MakgSnake
Jun 10th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Killzone will have several multiplayer options, online play, and use NURBS instead of polygons.

I just read that at IGN. and they are also saying that this game is getting the hype of a lifetime. But what is Nurbs?....is it the one known as Non-Uniform Rational B-Splines (Nurbs). The true defination..

The NURBS has excellent continuity characteristics
which make it useful for creating accurate models in 3D
geometry generation and computer modelling.

Sounds pretty amazing to me atleast. And oh by the way the game will not be called "KIN" but "Killzone"......thats the actual name. I think KIN was a nick given by just somebody to keep the actual name hidden.

Vic Viper
Jun 10th, 2003, 03:40 PM
^^^ cool, great news Makg. I am dying to see how this game turns out.;)

Vic Viper
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:07 PM
scan quality is bad, though.

http://www.videogamerx.net/bbs/data/vx01/killzone1.jpg

MakgSnake
Jun 12th, 2003, 10:48 PM
From the pic above, it seems like the character is hitting the gaurd with his gun, just like the way done in Halo. Hmmmm....... I sat far away from the screen to see what was going on, and it looks pretty cool. If the whole game is just beautiful and lets you do stuff that no other game have. This would be a nice game. And then I would buy it.

dan da man
Jun 14th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Nah, I thought about it, the ps2 wont be able to handle that type of game, it might live up to its hype, it may be good, but it wont be a halo 2 killer.

Vic Viper
Jun 14th, 2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

Nah, I thought about it, the ps2 wont be able to handle that type of game.

why not ?:peoples:

dan da man
Jun 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Vic Viper

why not ?:peoples:

Well I cant support what I said, becuase ive seen nothing of KIN yet, if the ps2 cant run halo, how can it run a halo 2 killer.

Vic Viper
Jun 14th, 2003, 12:44 PM

Well I cant support what I said, becuase ive seen nothing of KIN yet

i rest my case.

dan da man
Jun 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

i rest my case.

Yep, lets just wait and see.

kupoartist
Jun 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Well I cant support what I said, becuase ive seen nothing of KIN yet, if the ps2 cant run halo, how can it run a halo 2 killer.
despite the fact that you're probably right, its worth reminding you that Halo has never actually been run through a PS2, on the basis that its an XBox exculsive (in the console market at least). I'm sure you know that though :)

Remember also, that just because no other PS2 game has looked as nice as Halo, doesn't mean that this one can't. Its all down to optimisation, rather than the base system specs when you're trying to squeeze every last drop of life out of a console: Its the Software and not the Hardware that is the deciding factor. (observe also how optimisation has totally ruined some games that have crossed over from the technically inferior PS2 to the XBox, which kind of proves the point.) - Though the abilities of the Hardware remain static, the abilities of the Software are forever imporving. Final Fantasy IX doesn't look 20 times better than Final Fantasy VII because it changed the hardware. It was just optimised.

If Kin's developers are commited, hardworking folks they can do this. It'll be an uphill struggle for sure, but I hope it suceeds. I need a PS2 game to extend my meagre library of... 3. I'd rather have Half-Life of course... but i'll have that sooner anyway :happy:

Though I do have reservations about using a Contoller for any First Person game. I've no idea which console controller is better for it, I'd just rather have a mouse and a keyboard ^_^

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 14th, 2003, 01:59 PM
I agree with dan. Just look at Splinter Cell, sure it did a nice job of trying to look like the original but it really never could. I'm not saying that x-box is the best but I really doubt this game is going to outshine halo 2. It really all comes down to the fans in the end.

kupoartist
Jun 14th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Azuma_Ninja
I agree with dan. Just look at Splinter Cell, sure it did a nice job of trying to look like the original but it really never could. I'm not saying that x-box is the best but I really doubt this game is going to outshine halo 2. It really all comes down to the fans in the end.
Yes, Splinter Cell was technically inferior, but then its the flipside of the coin: it was developed to be optimised for the Xbox. The PS2 release wasn't rushed as such, but they didn't have a couple of years to optimise the Unreal Warfare engine for optimal use on the PS2. Instead they chose to take the easy way out and simplyfy the game content - lower polygon counts and less detailed textures, rather than actually reprogramming the engine. The opposite will be true of Kin. Or at least it should be, otherwise it will disappoint.

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Yes lets hope they don't rush this. Knowbody wins when a game is rushed or pushed out early.

dan da man
Jun 15th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Yes lets hope they don't rush this. Knowbody wins when a game is rushed or pushed out early.

Halo was rushed for the xbox release date, thats why the game does not have a xbox live feature, and all those "40 weapons" bungie promised.

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 15th, 2003, 12:23 PM
originally posted by dan da man

Halo was rushed for the xbox release date, thats why the game does not have a xbox live feature, and all those "40 weapons" bungie promised.

I did not know that. Oh well It doesn't bother me the only weapon that I haven't seen in Halo that was originally going to be in there was a flame-thrower(how cool would that've been).

dan da man
Jun 15th, 2003, 01:19 PM

I did not know that. Oh well It doesn't bother me the only weapon that I haven't seen in Halo that was originally going to be in there was a flame-thrower(how cool would that've been).

Yep, when everyone played it, and the flamethrower wasnt there, it just sucked not having it.

kupoartist
Jun 15th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Are some of these features going to be in the PC version? I heard that they got a few new weapons and the Multiplayer into it (looking foward to it ^_^)... also, the XBox live thing wasn't really their fault, right? Halo was released well before XBox live, so the XBox Live Technology probably wasn't even finalised. No Finished Tech = No Idea exactly what you have to program for.

dan da man
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Are some of these features going to be in the PC version? I heard that they got a few new weapons and the Multiplayer into it (looking foward to it ^_^)... also, the XBox live thing wasn't really their fault, right? Halo was released well before XBox live, so the XBox Live Technology probably wasn't even finalised. No Finished Tech = No Idea exactly what you have to program for.

Yep the halo PP version will have them features.

And halo was going to have the XBL feature, moto GP had the XBL feature and it was released on the xbox release date, microsoft had it all planned with the broadand modem built in.

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM
[Quote]originally posted by the_artist

Are some of these features going to be in the PC version?[Quote]

I remember when Halo was originally a PC game. Man those were the days of Ultra Gamplers my fav videogame mag ever:happy: That game looked a lot different back then.....maybe the PC version will be like that but I doubt it.

Is the PC version just a port of HALO for X-box?

ssjtrunks13
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:31 AM
I can't read right now so I will taked it that this thread looks like a bunch of people saying Halo's gonna be better.

Well, I don't know about that. I've never played Halo and I never considered playing it. I don't know if I'd get this one but it does sound interesting. I just think it's good that a game like Halo will be out for us people who only have a PS2 and will have only a PS2 for a while. I certainly think that KIN would look better in the eyes of someone like me, but that's just my opinion.

kupoartist
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13
I just think it's good that a game like Halo will be out for us people who only have a PS2 and will have only a PS2 for a while. I certainly think that KIN would look better in the eyes of someone like me, but that's just my opinion.
Don't get them wrong: Kin is no more like Halo than Half-Life, Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Tribes, Red Faction and every other FPS in the buisness. Its just a case of someone saying "This is going to be better than Halo". Reaching Enlightenment is probably better than Halo. That doesn't mean they're the same thing.

And having a firm set opinion on somthing you've never seen or played is not only pretty stupid, but its not worthy of even being called an opinion. You can't have an opinion unless you know what you're talking about.

MakgSnake
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Well, I think if Playstation2 can create graphics like "Gran Turismo 3" or even "4"...... which till now XBOX havn't, then why cant Playstation2 can create the same type of graphics (GT4) for the First Person Shooter. It would be a tough long process but it does seem possible.

And although we all are talking about Graphics, Graphcis, Graphics..........lets just talk about gameplay. I mean ONLINE Co-Op.....that is something awesome.....plus god knows what else they would include.

Only time can tell the full filler.

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 17th, 2003, 11:57 AM
originally posted by MakgSnake

And although we all are talking about Graphics, Graphcis, Graphics..........lets just talk about gameplay. I mean ONLINE Co-Op.....that is something awesome.....plus god knows what else they would include.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't Halo 2 have the same thing. Is this game supposed to be a Halo killer or a Halo clone......haha just kidding. Hopefully this game will give PS2 owners a solid fps.

kupoartist
Jun 18th, 2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
I mean ONLINE Co-Op.....that is something awesome.....plus god knows what else they would include.
couldn't agree more: there are some people who think that Online FPS'ing would have never got off the ground if the Doom Series hadn't come along with Co-Op modes (I even tried it about a Year Ago... though I was in the same room as the people I was playing with and everyone was shouting co-operative verbal abuse at whoever kept dying whilst holding a key-card ^_^). The problem is, that so few people do Co-operative these days, and in PC games its often left up to the mod makers to do (Half-life Sven Co-Op).

Of course, the problem is with early game information, is that we've no idea whatsoever about anything other than a few buzz-word like Features and a few screenshots. We don't even have a story to go by... so who knows whether the co-op will be any good?

Half-Life 2 doesn't have co-op. poo. I suppose it does at least have radiators that you can throw in peoples faces. Yes, I think that balances it all out :)

MakgSnake
Jun 18th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't Halo 2 have the same thing
Not that I have heard of, or even read anywhere. I JUST HOPE They include it, as the game has a loong way to come out. But till now I havn't heard a thing about Co-Op in Halo2.

I havn't played Co-Op online ever, but it does sound amazing. I mean.......I am talking about with your friend who lives in LA. Thats just amazing. Finishing the game....... its just a cool thing. And till now......Console Games havn't done that.

I know we shouldn't really put our hopes high on this game as we dont know anything about it. Untill a video or solid information, I'll stay excited. Its fun that way........... :D

kupoartist
Jun 18th, 2003, 04:25 PM

But till now I havn't heard a thing about Co-Op in Halo2. :D
Annoyingly, the PC release of Halo 1 may not have it... I think Online Co-Op games must be pretty hard to program, especially for games a complex as the FPS we've become used to (Half-life 2 looks to be really Co-Op unfriendly with the NPCs reacting exactly to the player. More players would complicate it loads.)

That reminds me: though Kin has Havoc, it lacks any of the Facial Emotion and NPC reaction that HL2 has. And that is pretty revolutionary stuff for any game, not just a FPS...

(BTW, if you haven't already heard, Half-Life 2 on the XBox isn't a rumour: it really is happening.)

Azuma_Ninja
Jun 18th, 2003, 04:47 PM
originally posted by the_artist

(BTW, if you haven't already heard, Half-Life 2 on the XBox isn't a rumour: it really is happening.)

I have heard this, but I also remember hearing that they're going to release it on PC first (i think). I think co-op is the way to go these days. So many games could be a lot funner if they added a co-op mode. But yes i'm sure it's very hard to program somthing like that for online play.

Berserker
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:56 AM
The game Kin/killing zone is developed by the dutchstudio "the lost boys" , to set one thing straight the developers themself didn't call it a halo-killer, as a matter of fact they haven't called it anything, cause they aren't allowed to speak about it to much. I'm going to search some dutch game sites in order to find some more info and let you guys know.

Edit:
Kin is the first major project for Lost Boys, established in 2000, but the developer has two further next-gen titles in the works - Knights and Call of the Dragonfly. Despite the fledgling nature of the developer, SCEE was apprarently hugely impressed by the early stages of Kin, and quickly snapped up the title as a PS2 exclusive.

We contacted Lost Boys for further information, but a spokesperson would only admit: "We can confirm we're working on a title for Sony Europe, but I can't give you any further information," referring to a deal that was made public way back in 2000.

Source:gamers.nl

dan da man
Jun 19th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Well, I think if Playstation2 can create graphics like "Gran Turismo 3" or even "4"...... which till now XBOX havn't, then why cant Playstation2 can create the same type of graphics (GT4) for the First Person Shooter. It would be a tough long process but it does seem possible.

Only time can tell the full filler.

Graphics in GT4 have not blown me away, I tell you now this wont be good enough, the ps2 wont be able to handle it, I tell you what makg, if this is a halo 2 killer, I will buy you a copy of KIN and send it to you. (im not shouting at you:laugh: )

Ghost Recon has online co-op, it nothing to new, but it would be awsome on a game like Halo.

Vic Viper
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Graphics in GT4 have not blown me away, I tell you now this wont be good enough, the ps2 wont be able to handle it, I tell you what makg, if this is a halo 2 killer, I will buy you a copy of KIN and send it to you. (im not shouting at you:laugh: )

Ghost Recon has online co-op, it nothing to new, but it would be awsome on a game like Halo.

we havent seen anying thing about kin how do you know ps2 wont be able to handle it. :peoples:

dan da man
Jun 19th, 2003, 05:38 PM

we havent seen anying thing about kin how do you know ps2 wont be able to handle it. :peoples:

Every time a promsied good title on the ps2 turns out to be not as they promised, its from my past experinces with games promsied to "be killers" and "the best". I dont have to see nothing of KIN, I will keep my promsie.

If it does turn good and a killer, fair well, but I just dont see it going to happen.

Vic Viper
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:32 PM
http://www.psxnation.com/board_images/kin1.jpg

http://www.psxnation.com/board_images/killzoneb_sm.jpg

Vicious_2003
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I do belive they said Brute Force was the next Halo. And look how that ended up. A mediocre game that was hurt by its publicity. I feel sorry for the people making these FPS's, i mean Halo set the bar VERY high, the second people hear about it there going to be comparing it to halo. Im not saying Kin will suck, hell im not about to pass any judgments on gameplay because I dont know crap about the game other than the RUMORS that are flying around. But lets face it, even if it were just as good as halo 2 its online modes probably wouldnt compare, co-op missions or not. Have you ever tried to carry on a conversation over sony's headset ?. Trying to give out team commands would most likely be VERY difficult where as with X Box live it is very easy. And imagine if they allowed 56k users to play it online, one word Lag-o-riffic, especially if the games running as fast as they say. I say good luck to its programmers if they really want to compete with halo 2 , there going to need it. And have you seen the lastes Halo 2 trailer, its friggin AMAZING. Master cheif holding 2 weapons at once, how cool is that ?.

omni vengeance
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:46 PM
I don't know about it being as good as Halo, but it sounds pretty good by the descriptions.

kupoartist
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Vicious_2003
And have you seen the lastes Halo 2 trailer, its friggin AMAZING. Master cheif holding 2 weapons at once, how cool is that ?.
The whole two weapons thing would have been remotely exciting if I'd not seen and played games with that in before. In fact, I thought it was just like the rest of the Halo 2 movie: pretty impressive, but vastly overated by the audience watching it. I would've had far more fun if i'd been given two guns and the chance to point them at a certain bunch of whooping half-wits for sure ^_^ (I swear one guy screams "Oh My God!!!!!!!!" at some point.). On what was shown at E3, Halo 2 was great. But not Half-Life 2 by a long shot.

dan da man
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:47 PM

But not Half-Life 2 by a long shot.

I agree.:D

The whole two gun thing does look amazing becuase no other game is good as looking as halo 2 with two gun mode, it better not be red fraction! BTW KIN screen shots look ace!

MakgSnake
Jun 29th, 2003, 12:18 AM
I dont know, I very well liked Red Faction 2's two gun option. And not to forget....Time Splitters 2 has done that too... two guns at the same time, infact Time Splitters 2 has two Tommy Guns at the same time. I am not really excited about holding two guns and all......"THAT" is actually pretty old stuff....nothing new.

Halo 2 will be amazing, and amazing in the sense --> Technology. The framrate and playing 4 Multiplayer on the same TV split Screen (Even Halo 1 does the best JOB EVER). But when it comes to story and some other stuff...I think Halo is pretty good (nothing amazing, but thats my opinion).

Kill Zone is sounding like mother of all FPS, but I now DONT wanna get my expectations very high for this game. I have to agree that PS2 hasn't released a very good (exclusive) First Person Shooter, infact......there isn't even 1 exclusive FPS on Ps2....(correct me if I am wrong please).

The new screen shot looks nice, but I wanna see HIGH QUALITY Crystal Clear screens to pass a little judgment on the graphics parts.

dan da man
Jun 29th, 2003, 06:41 AM

I dont know, I very well liked Red Faction 2's two gun option. And not to forget....Time Splitters 2 has done that too... two guns at the same time, infact Time Splitters 2 has two Tommy Guns at the same time. I am not really excited about holding two guns and all......"THAT" is actually pretty old stuff....nothing new.

Halo 2 will be amazing, and amazing in the sense --> Technology. The framrate and playing 4 Multiplayer on the same TV split Screen (Even Halo 1 does the best JOB EVER). But when it comes to story and some other stuff...I think Halo is pretty good (nothing amazing, but thats my opinion).

Kill Zone is sounding like mother of all FPS, but I now DONT wanna get my expectations very high for this game. I have to agree that PS2 hasn't released a very good (exclusive) First Person Shooter, infact......there isn't even 1 exclusive FPS on Ps2....(correct me if I am wrong please).

The new screen shot looks nice, but I wanna see HIGH QUALITY Crystal Clear screens to pass a little judgment on the graphics parts.

I think Timesplitters one, was exclusive to PS2, im not sure.

Is kill zone its name? im not to pleased about the name. Me too I cant wait to see some clear picutres, then we can judge whats better by "graphics" between halo 2 and KIN.

MakgSnake
Jun 29th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I think Timesplitters one, was exclusive to PS2, im not sure.

Is kill zone its name
Yeah I think Timeplitters came to Ps2 Only, but only because Xbox and GameCube weren't released then........ look what happened to TS2.

Neway, yeah Kill Zone is the real name........ they used KIN to hide the real name of the game. They didn't want to reveal it before.

Kill Zone isn't the best name but its pretty alright........ not bad. It just that another game is coming out soon "Kill.Switch"..... so it doesn't sound original.

Vicious_2003
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:45 PM
I hear ALOT of talk about Half-Life 2. I for one was never even remotely interested in the series but seeing as how its winning awards, and so many people are talking it up ill have to check it out.

dan da man
Jul 17th, 2003, 01:23 PM
http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/upload_images/killzone177_11.jpg

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/upload_images/killzone177_2.jpg

MakgSnake
Jul 17th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Hey, those pics are better, but they are the same. Still, good stuff. Its looking good. ........... I wonder when will they ever release a High Quality screen shot. ....... And I have a feeling, when they will... it'll make it big on Gaming Magazines and all.

dan da man
Jul 17th, 2003, 04:57 PM

Hey, those pics are better, but they are the same. Still, good stuff. Its looking good. ........... I wonder when will they ever release a High Quality screen shot. ....... And I have a feeling, when they will... it'll make it big on Gaming Magazines and all.

Yes I agree, the hype it amazing at this point, the main thing in this game was has cuaght my attention, is the detail, even though them screen shots are still blurry, just look at the detail of his hand(s), gun, and the AI/models, what they are wearing/suits, got to say, halo:combat evolved has not got much this detail.

Btw, sony have said, it will be a "halo killer", but a "halo 2 online killer" let see, 2004 is going to be awsome for videogames.

kupoartist
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:12 PM
2004 is going to be awsome for videogames.
I don't know about 2004. All the big games are coming out Quarter 4 of this year.

dan da man
Jul 17th, 2003, 05:39 PM

I don't know about 2004. All the big games are coming out Quarter 4 of this year.

True, many many many.

But the games Im fans of are out in 2004, Halo 2, MGS3: snake eater, GTA4, RE:out break, BIG titles for me.

Vic Viper
Jul 24th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Thursday 17th July 2003 EXCLUSIVE: KILLZONE SECRETS UNVEILED! Why wait for the official announcement? Get your juicy info on PS2's biggest game right here... 16:39 It's the game everyone's talking about that, let's be honest, no-one really knows a great deal about. Killzone (formerly known as Kin) in development at Guerrilla (formerly known as Lost Boys), has been the subject of crazed speculation ever since we revealed the existence of the game back in March.

What we do know is that it's a first-person shooter, featuring full online play, and the poor quality scans doing the rounds on the Internet give a reasonable indication of graphical style. And, of course, Sony insiders have been referring to the title for months as PS2's "Halo-beater."

But with Sony Europe on the brink of unveiling the game to the world, we've managed to pin down some hot info on what PS2 gamers can expect from the massive triple-A title.

Firstly, Killzone is set to offer a highly compelling, deep storyline with the action character-based. Four unique playable characters are believed to be included, but the story won't be the far-out sci-fi of Halo. Instead, Killzone is thought to be based in a more traditional Earth setting, in the tradition of well established war-based FPSs.

As a result: "The game actually plays more like Medal of Honor than Halo," according to one development source, speaking to us anonymously. And we can also reveal that the name 'Killzone' is a specific reference to an element of twentieth century warfare, where one side surrounds the enemy, creating a 'killzone' in which they are highly vulnerable to attack.

It's thought that the player begins the game in a 'killzone'. And we've further learned that the gas-mask wearing enemies seen in scans are ominously referred to as 'Helgarth Commandos'. Oo-er.

But one of the biggest elements of the game is full online play, and this is where the title will go head-to-head with console heavyweights like Halo 2. Our source told us: "Killzone will make full use of the SOCOM USB headset for online communication, but beyond that, the online side of things will be doing stuff no-one's ever seen before."

"Woooah yeeeeaaaah!" As Macho Man Randy Savage might say. We're literally shaking in anticipation and all signs point to Killzone being the essential system-seller insiders have been hinting at for months. With an official announcement due any day now, all we've got to say is: just show us the bloody shots!

from: computerandvideogames (http://www.computerandvideogames.com)

MakgSnake
Jul 24th, 2003, 10:45 PM
but beyond that, the online side of things will be doing stuff no-one's ever seen before
I am actually loving the sound of that. I cant wait what it would be able to pull which hasn't been told yet.

Vic Viper
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:56 AM
Finally, the phoney war is over. For over a year now we've been sworn to secrecy. Forced to bite our lips as the rumour mill went into overdrive. As far back as April last year, we knew that Guerilla Games (then known as Lost Boys Games) was working on an apparently groundbreaking shooter with the working title of Kin. Today we can confirm that the game is very much a reality. It's called Killzone. We've seen it. And it looks like the absolute bomb.

Killzone is set in the near future. Mankind is busy colonising the galaxy when a vicious interplanetary war breaks out between the ISA (which is still loyal to Earth) and a militaristic faction know as the Helghast. Despite the sci-fi premise, we aren't expecting to see any outlandish aliens scampering across the battlefield. Killzone is based on 20th-century warfare, and the term itself refers to a tactic used to force enemies into an area where they can be easily wiped out.

The single-player game tells the story of four ISA soldiers who are operating deep behind enemy lines on a near suicidal mission. It's thought that the game begins in the immediate aftermath of a devastating Helghast attack. Earlier this year OPS2 was shown a video of in-game action which seemed to confirm that the game will start with your squad trapped in a killzone. From what we've seen you're pinned down in a derelict building and surrounded by the Helghast. To make matters considerably worse, more stormtroopers abseil in from the Aliens-style dropship hovering overhead. Within seconds the bullets are flying and jaws are dropping.

What really looks impressive about Killzone though - other than the teeth-rattling bark of the assault rifles and the lush, richly detailed environments - is the sense of being caught in the middle of a massive conflict. We watched soldiers wading through shallow rivers, coshing each other with rifle butts (just wait until you see the glorious reload animation as you slap another magazine in) and manning fixed machine gun emplacements. Oh, and the sniper scope looks particularly creamy, as do the diffuse lighting effects, originally pioneered by Ico.

As for the visuals, there are several cinematic influences, with Starship Troopers and, inevitably, Aliens being the most obvious. Certainly the body armour worn by the ISA soldiers is instantly reminiscent of James Cameron's bug hunting epic. The gritty style also suggests the art team at Guerilla has been watching a lot of Black Hawk Down. We also reckon there must be a 2000AD fan at the Netherlands-based developer because there definitely seems to be a hint of Rogue Trooper too.

As far as multiplayer modes go, there's no official word yet, but you can probably guess why we're so excited. You can expect a barrage of info on the game between now and its release. But for now, gaze at the first ever genuine screenshots. You're looking at the future.

playstation.com (http://uk.playstation.com/news/newsStory.jhtml;jsessionid=VL0QGO5TRPK2KCQSBLWSMFQ ?storyId=104182_en_GB_NEWS&linktype=MPC)

http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a52787/Killzone1.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a52787/Killzone2.jpg

http://eu.playstation.com/iw_images//assets/images_uk/a_z/k/killzone/ops2_killzone_screen2_big.jpg

http://eu.playstation.com/iw_images//assets/images_uk/a_z/k/killzone/ops2_killzone_screen1_big.jpg

http://eu.playstation.com/iw_images//assets/images/previews/k/killzone/killzone_02_big.jpg

Vic Viper
Aug 1st, 2003, 04:48 AM
The game is squad-based and, although players only control one character, three more will provide covering fire. Each character boasts different abilities (one is handy with heavy weapons, for instance, while another specialises in stealth) and you'll be able to play through the game four times - each time with a separate character. Developers Guerrilla say that this will give the player different challenges and experiences.

There will be a total of 21 weapons in the game - each of which will also have a secondary fire function - including rocket-launchers, grenades, mini-guns and missile-launchers. In addition, there will be at least five fixed-position weapons.

The player's heath meter works in a way similar to that of Master Chief's shield in Halo: whenever damage isn't being taken, it gradually returns to full health.

The current version of the game already houses three playable levels set in slums, a shopping mall and a river bed. Apart from the occasional drop in frame-rate, it's looking very promising indeed. Visually, it offers some of the most detailed and aesthetically pleasing textures on PS2.

Killzone's structure is set around set pieces, of which there will be around two 'memorable moments' in each of the 26 levels. Set pieces unveiled so far include a gunship dispatching several abseiling enemy troops and another based around a collapsing bridge. The game will also support full online multiplayer games, although this has yet to be seen up and running.

The game, which is due to be released in autumn 2004, takes major 20th century theatres of war as its inspiration, from the trenches of the Somme to the street fighting of Stalingrad to the guerrilla warfare of Vietnam.

Set in the near future, in a period of planetary colonisation, it revolves around a savage conflict between forces that are still loyal to Earth (the ISA) and a separatist, militaristic faction who call themselves the Helghast. The game follows your squad of four soldiers on a suicidal mission behind enemy lines, as they fight to undermine and defeat the Helghast forces following their devastating Blitzkrieg attack on the human colony.

Adds Edge, "As the game takes place in the near future, you won't find any laser guns, aliens or warp holes. 'We wanted to come up with our own epic war,' says [commercial director at Guerrilla] Martin de Ronde. 'However, we drew inspiration from many 20th century conflicts because we wanted everything to be recognisable. To have weapons that fire green blobs may look nice as a special effect but it takes away from the gratifying aspects of war.

dan da man
Aug 1st, 2003, 06:51 AM
All I can say, them pics look "alright".

Vic Viper
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:15 PM

All I can say, them pics look "alright".

looks pretty impressive to me.:ghost:

kupoartist
Aug 1st, 2003, 05:43 PM
I think it looks pretty good from a Playstation 2 POV... but the hangups are all there: the hoorid "jaggies", the low detail textures... The bottom screen looks pretty nice, as in "well designed". its not exactly detail heavy, but Outdoor environments rarely are.

DSgamer
Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
i think it looks bad ass

dan da man
Aug 2nd, 2003, 11:51 AM
Cant say anymore on the topic, let see what it can when they finnally show somrthing proper of it, no point bull shitting saying its a halo killer when they show blurry pics and tell prorkys:laugh: Looks like next E3 when they will show something, I can wait that long, hang on, didnt sony say Red Faction 2 was halo killer? I can remember and no.

MakgSnake
Aug 2nd, 2003, 09:35 PM
I would have to say that it looks amazing. And if I were to brake down conclusions about each pic shown.......

Pic 1.) It looks amazing. Just look how smooth that pic looks. And the shiny sky. ....... I was amazed when I saw that.

Pic 2.) If this is how the soldiers would look like DURING THE GAMEPLAY, then OOHH YEAH BABY!.! Common guys, you have to agree.....that character model is way way better then HALO. Now its the just he matter of how they move and how is the motion capture is done (If it is that is).

Pic 3 and 4.) Ok yeah here it seems like an average game. Nothing great...but then seeing the other top 2 pics.....I can close my eyes for this one (As In ignore it for the time being)

Pic 5.) It looks pretty damn good. But I dont know why "RED FACTION 2" came into my mind. It feels like that game..... in that pic only. And yeah I also heard that Sony said "Red Faction 2" will be a Halo killer. It acts like HALO but NOOOOOOOO.....it isn't. At ALL!.!.!

So yeah....... this game comes out END OF NEXT YEAR, that is most probably Xmas 2004. There is soooo much time left in the making....... so things can only get better from here. I suppose.

dan da man
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:09 AM

So yeah....... this game comes out END OF NEXT YEAR, that is most probably Xmas 2004. There is soooo much time left in the making....... so things can only get better from here. I suppose.

By then probally a dozzen other FPS will be annouced for the next gen consoles, (ps3, nextbox, nintendo 2) which will blow every thing away about KIN and HALO.:laugh:

Preventer Wind
Aug 3rd, 2003, 12:16 PM
By then probally a dozzen other FPS will be annouced for the next gen consoles, (ps3, nextbox, nintendo 2) which will blow every thing away about KIN and HALO.

Yeah, but who is going to wait another 1-2 years. And that's just if they come out at launch time.

Vic Viper
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:45 PM
http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/12.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/11.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/10.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/08.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/07.jpg

Vic Viper
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:47 PM
http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/06.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/05.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/04.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/03.jpg http://www.videogamerx.net/gamenews/a001/583/02.jpg

dan da man
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:50 PM
LMAO, more blurry pics, not even proper colours, It all fake until you see something real!:mad:

P-S- I like the pic when the dude is on somekind of 50 cal/minigun setup:D, sweet! and them tanks, big warfare!:evil:

Vic Viper
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:53 PM
um.. those are scanned.:mean:

dan da man
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:11 PM

um.. those are scanned.:mean:

Yea sure, if they were clear it would be all over the net.

MakgSnake
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Hey I like those pics..... they look pretty amazing. So what if they are blurry....... they look solid.

I dont know why. And still right now.... the pics feel a little like Red Faction 2. Oh well....

I just wish that this game would let you take control of Vehicles, and even in Multiplayer map. Thats what make HALO different... no other game lets you sit on vehicles like Tanks (Scorpions), and Jeeps (Warthogs)...... and that hovercraft thing (GHOST). I mean....the multiplayer mode of HALO is the best..... And I hope this game goes beyond it.

But lets see if this game would or even could go against HALO 2.

EDIT!!!::::: Forget what I said about it, just check this crazy stuff out, which is making me mad.

New Info

- the four playable characters will be two males called Templar and two females knows as Luger. Templar will be the brawny Rambo-type, while Luger's specialty is stealth.

- as reported earlier, the four characters have different abilities (ie, Luger is awesome for snipin people, but isn't quite as good when big guns come into play).

- players don't control the other three squad members, as the AI will direct the traffic for you, giving cover fire and tactical assistance.

- squad members don't die, but can be weakened, especially during protection missions. They also apparently will not get in the player's way (blockinf doors, etc).

- enemy troops take orders from enemy officers, so if you kill the officer first, the troops will panic and fight without direction.

- you may fight against vehicles, but there won't be any to ride in during the game.

- the USB headset will be copatible with this game.

- early reports say the framerate needs to be worked on, in order to assure a smooth-playing game.

No vehicles riding...... damn. WOH..... how can it compete against HALO then...

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Now it sounds like the game is becoming more brute force like rather than halo.

dan da man
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake

Now it sounds like the game is becoming more brute force like rather than halo.

Thats what I was going to day, nice info makg! But its been done before in videogames that new info. (might not be 100%)

Vic Viper
Aug 14th, 2003, 12:54 AM
check it out..here (http://www.psxnation.com/news/newsstory?idnumber=001387)

Berserker
Nov 17th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Update on the game, this is a link (http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_killzone_doc.html) to a documentary about killzone it's in dutch but you get to see some small parts of the game and some parts of my hometown Amsterdamn!!!
Anyway the game looks awesome from what I can see...

Edit: Check out this gameplay trailer (http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_killzone_kikizo_gp.wmv)