PDA

View Full Version : Midnight Club 2

Infernal Mass
May 31st, 2003, 07:15 AM
this game is fun, it looks as though rockstar is using a modified version of the GTA engine. So if you are good @ losing the cops tearing thru the streets on that game, you'll be able to dive right into this one with ease.

Diffrent abilities and vehicles( including street bikes :cool: ) are opened up as you progress thru the game. Burnout,two-wheel motion..slipstream nitros..etc.

Graphics are nice, good particle effects for the sparks. And the wheather effects look great too.
Sound is awsome on this game turn up the stereo for this one..:phones: I hear the xbox version has the customizable soundtrack feature.

a great game, i feel what rockstar san diego is trying to do here. MC3 should be even better if they stick to the same formula minus a few cheesy aspects of the game.

digimortal
- is now a Mindnight Club fan

Hadoken
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:08 AM
I rented it.. but I honestly didnt' think it was that great.

Infernal Mass
Jun 1st, 2003, 04:59 PM
was it too hard? i hear that alot. most people can't even get past L.A.

did you get far enough to get the streetbike?

Hadoken
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:29 PM
It wasnt all that difficult to me, but I got bored after a little while. I think that maybe I should've spent more time playing it, but I just couldnt get into it... :disturb:
I just think it was too much of an arcade style game, and i'd rather play something more realistic. The controls were what I had to spend the most time getting used to, the other thing is the graphics werent really that good. It uses the same engine as GTA, but some things just didnt look right to me. I wasnt very fond of the soundtrack either, it just didnt help me get into the game.

Infernal Mass
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:38 PM
how far did you get? or rather how much were you able to tolerate? did you get the street bike?

The game is an arade racer no doubt about it. Kinda reminds me of Project Gotham but not as much of a simulation game as PGR tries to be.

Another thing I was able to appreciate was the big courses in this game. They're huge...i mean some races take you all over the city.

Hadoken
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:22 PM
I played up to paris and got up to the race against primo i think, thats pretty much when I quit playing. and yes, I did get a bike in LA.

Infernal Mass
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:29 PM
check this out, a UK mag just dropped the review for MC2 on xbox..

The UK independent mag XBM gave MCII 9/10. They said the LIVE implementation was stunning and varied. They also said the graphics were a *substantial* upgrade to the PS2 code. Certainly the screenshots looked amazing by comparison. They also praised the custom soundtrack option and the overall *feel* of the game, which the said was very GTA.

yeah the game is very GTA. It even reminds me of twisted metal at times. i think because of the action and speed. there are times when the game can become frustrating. especially when the computer takes shortcuts you wouldn't know existed until you go thru the race a second time.

digimortal
- primo was easy..his car is a peice of shit.

Infernal Mass
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:33 AM
i've finally reached Mokoto, the champion of Japan.

This game is excellent, i won the sickest street bike of the game called the Nousagi from ZEN. After that the rest of the game pretty much was in the bag. ...except for now.

To win the right to race against Mokoto, i must first pass his time trial which is very difficult.

digimortal
- oh and the xbox version i heard doesn't support custom tracks, ain't that a beeyotch!

Zephyr
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:43 PM
I am seriosuly considering buying this game becasue it looks much better than the first. I have seen the trailer for it and it looks good to me so Ill probably get it soon. The turbos look cool in it but yea it is definitley GTA engine.:ghost:

Redpyramidhead
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by DigiMortal

check this out, a UK mag just dropped the review for MC2 on xbox..

yeah the game is very GTA. It even reminds me of twisted metal at times. i think because of the action and speed. there are times when the game can become frustrating. especially when the computer takes shortcuts you wouldn't know existed until you go thru the race a second time.

digimortal
- primo was easy..his car is a peice of shit.

I think that's the point, you aren't supposed to do well in each new race the first time. Yes the career mode races in this game are hard. It took me an insane number of times to beat that championship race in LA. I'm in the middle of Paris right now. Personally I enjoy the challenge.

A tip for those having trouble...Try creating your own courses in the race editor...its great for practicing using new shortcuts for your advantage. Unfortunately, you can't have opponents in races that you create that include certain checkpoints. But these races are still worth creating for yourself to practice navigating the cities and avoiding diferent levels of traffic. I consider the process of having to get better at this kind of thing to be that "ultimate street racer" part of the fun.

The game is very arcade like there is no doubt about that in car physics, but I think that helps create a balance when considering the nature of it...racing through traffic...heavy traffic and the breakneck speed decisions you must make. I agree, it would still be interesting to see this type of game with more realistic car handling physics.

I have a lot of mixed feelings abotu this game myself. I can't say anymore about it in detail until later for certain reasons.

Just take my advice and try all the modes...especially the race editor. It'll take a lot of trial and error to create your perfect races, but there's also a nifty 'generate random race feature' well check it out.

_RED_ stuff

Infernal Mass
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:53 PM
i can't help but feel more respect for this game the farther i get. The action can get pretty crazy toward the end..especially the last few races i've had against Savo. He took me back to Paris after defeating him in Japan twice, and after beating him in Paris twice.. i'm now back to where it all began. L.A.

Zephyr
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:05 PM
OK I rented the game from Blockbuster today and I can say seriosuly it is better than the first and also its better than the first and second Burnout.

blindman
Jun 15th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Rockstar is good at racing games and caar physics which is why this game may be good. Its more of an arcade title thought which makes it a bit less realistic. But the game sounds fun, i just wouldnt hesitate to play it anytime soon.
Well, at least Rockstar is keeping theior eyes off GTA for nwo, i wodner what GRA 5 is going to be like?:peoples:

dan da man
Jun 15th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Does anyone else think that the graphics are like playstation 1 graphics?

blindman
Jun 15th, 2003, 06:08 PM
OOPPS GTA 5 i meant.

Well, the graphics are not so much like ps1 but they do suck a bit.

Redpyramidhead
Jun 17th, 2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by dan da man

Does anyone else think that the graphics are like playstation 1 graphics?
Well, the graphics are not so much like ps1 but they do suck a bit.

Huh??? You think your PS1 could do this what the graphics do for Midnight Club 2? Have you played your PS1, lately? I just don't agree with that statement, that's all. Rockstar San Diego, IMO, has done a fine job with the graphics in this game. Also consider the size of the levels and the amount of activity happening onscreen at the same time. I think it is unfair to say that the graphics suck, especially considering what is being accomplished. There is more to graphics than just what it would look like if you were to freeze frame it and look at a screenshot. Consider all that is happening at once and the fluidity of it and how it effects gameplay.

I do agree that the car models, for example, are not as nice as say, NFS: HP2, and certainly not as good as Gran Turismo, but they are nothing to scoff at as much as they are not quite so much to stare at in much of any kind of awe either.

Well, now that I've put my two cents in, I'm curious if anybody else would go so far as to say the graphics "suck." That's a strong word. (Hmmm...Perhaps I should take a closer look at them?)

WEll just saying, IMO, they are pretty decent. :cool:

_RED_ stuff

dan da man
Jun 19th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Well, the gameplay is great but the graphics are not fit for ps2, sorry but im buying the Xbox version its 20 times better graphics.

Infernal Mass
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:33 AM
ok so who had to use codes to win?

I almost resorted to cheating on the last race against Savo. Then out of desperation i used te Nousagi and was able to finally win.

For anyone having trouble with that race..jut try to maintain at least a third place position thru the entire race. Then at the 2nd to last stretch while still on the freeway use all your nitros..or if you are on a bike *which i highly recommend*. Lift up the front wheel to gain speed an keep the wheel up until you reach the sharp right turn at the end of the that stretch.

Then you got one more long stretch to go until you reach the gas station.

Redpyramidhead
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by dan da man

Well, the gameplay is great but the graphics are not fit for ps2, sorry but im buying the Xbox version its 20 times better graphics.

20 times? You know that's not even possible so why even say it? Sure the X-Box version is likely to look better to an extent, but ports are a tricky thing. You better hope they get it right.

I just went through a pretty damn long explanation about my take on the graphics. Show some damn respect next time, atleast.:frust:

Actually, now that I think about it, I apologize for my little outburst there...:laugh:

_RED_ stuff

dan da man
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:27 PM
Okay Red I was speaking of the moment, there just better, still the same game who cares.

Okay got the game finnaly, (Xbox but its simlar right?) the Grahpics are still a bit niffy, but it dose'nt matter, this game is sooooo challenging, it takes me about 10 to 25 trys to do complete a race unless im lucky, hit no traffic or find a shortcut, im still in LA, but I love this game, its not easy, I can see myslef in the future buying a new controller with all the fustration this game gives me!

Digimortal, respect for you doing this game, its major hard.

Vicious_2003
Jul 2nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
The graphics are weak, I agree. Its not a game i would buy but it is fun. A bit unrealistic for my taste. Id LOVE for the makers of Gran Turismo to put together a street racing game with real, customizable cars and realictic Physics.

Virtualeclipse
Jul 18th, 2003, 11:01 AM
My friend had it. I played it. It was alright.......

dan da man
Jul 20th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Reanimation91

My friend had it. I played it. It was alright.......

Dont sound to impressed!:laugh:

MakgSnake
Jul 22nd, 2003, 02:28 PM
I just bought the game like 2 days ago on the Xbox. And the reason I bought it on the Xbox was because I can play up to 4 players right away and do system links with my friend and have 8 player mayhem.

The game rocks. The gameplay is sooo amazing. I love the "speed" of the game, especially when you hit the nitro. But I really have to say....the game sooo freaking hard. Which in some ways is a good thing. Its nice that the gameplay rocks, because if it didn't...I wouldn't have spent 2 hours on ONE race.

I am glad I bought this game..... it is better then Midtown Madness, now that I think of it. But MM3 has more detail locales. Still both are great games........

Oh and Xbox Live is where this game "REALLY" Shines....!.!.! :D