PDA

View Full Version : DBZ Budokai 2

Vic Viper
May 16th, 2003, 06:32 PM
trailer (http://66.114.194.10/dbz_new/e3/e3big.wmv)

Atari has begun development on the sequel to one of last year's most popular fighting games.

With the announcement of DBZ: Budokai releasing on the GameCube later this year, many PlayStation 2 fans wondered if they would see a sequel in 2003. Fans of the series can finally relax as Atari has officially announced Budokai 2 for the PS2 shipping this December.

The game is very similar to the original Budokai. The graphics have been revamped and are now cel-shaded, but the gameplay seems to be unchanged. While this may or may not be good news for DBZ fans, at the very least they can enjoy 11 new characters, including Majin Buu, Super Buu, and Kid Buu.

Atari has also added more destructable backgrounds, and a new option called Dragon Mode. In this new mode, players will take Gokou and three of his companions across seven different areas in search of the dragonballs. In a similar fashion to the original, once all of the dragonballs have been obtained, players can make a wish.

Memory card data from the first game will serve some purpose in the sequel, but no details have been released on what kind of roll it will play. Unfortunately, online play will not be featured in the sequel.

So far, our early impressions of the game are not very good. No attention has been paid to the complaints about the first game, and no online play in the sequel don't give us good reason to look forward to Budokai 2. However, we are hopeful that the game will shape up to be everything the original wasn't be its December release date.

http://www.dbzonps2.com/ps2-02-05.jpghttp://www.dbzonps2.com/ps2-02-13.jpg
http://www.dbzonps2.com/ps2-02-11.jpghttp://www.dbzonps2.com/ps2-02-08.jpg

Azuma_Ninja
May 16th, 2003, 10:15 PM
I think the cell shading is a good look for the game. If you thought the first one looked like playing the cartoon it's nothing compared to this.

Vicious_2003
May 16th, 2003, 10:41 PM
I think thats a good news bad news situation. I mean why take a mediocre game Like Budokai and NOT change it. Basicaly they are saying they are absolutely content putting out half assed games. Usually with sequels you fix the flaws of a game and add stuff. They seem to have the adding stuff thing down but why leave the game as it is. Its certainly was not terrible and it is the best DBZ game out but thats not saying much. I think they owe it to DBZ fans everywhere to just take there time and put a good effort into making a high quality DBZ game. These weak efforts just arent doing it for me. For the first couple DBZ games it was like "Well they suck but who cares its a DBZ game !". But from then on I think that effect has worn off and now I want a GREAT, not just descent DBZ game

happy_doughnut
May 18th, 2003, 02:28 PM
*shivers*

Oh god... why !?! >.<;

Indubitably... the cell shading working its way in the background looks alright; not so bad. The characters look like the were just plastered there, though. :disturb:

synicalgohan91
May 18th, 2003, 10:50 PM
i can't wait to play the next one. they cell shading looks pretty damn good to me. I think that the graphics in the first one were pretty good. i like the fighting in it but they should make diffrent combos for people

Zanku
May 19th, 2003, 07:24 PM
Any updates? Got any new pictures? The first one in the four looks like something from the anime itself. Ever play Dragonball Z Ultimate 22 (something like that), it was so terrible i took it back after five minutes i brought it.

I know what you mean, hopefully they are not just going to sell the name of Dragonball Z...we'll have to wait and see.

DragonSphere
May 25th, 2003, 06:33 PM
So far, our early impressions of the game are not very good. No attention has been paid to the complaints about the first game, and no online play in the sequel don't give us good reason to look forward to Budokai 2. However, we are hopeful that the game will shape up to be everything the original wasn't be its December release date.

:bang: Looks to me that Atari is going to rely on name brand rather than gameplay...for shame!

Zanku
May 25th, 2003, 06:59 PM
If you have DBZ Budokai, you will notice that the trailer is identical moves, sounds, and area's from the original, except the models have just been changed to cel-shaded ones...which sucks, i hope they are not just changing the models, and slightly changing the gameplay...

Mercury Shadow
May 26th, 2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by ZeroSniper

*shivers*

Oh god... why !?! >.<;

[/size]

:) I feel exactly the same, Mena

Krazy
May 27th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Is there anyone out there besides me who thinks that the next dbz game should use the capcom vs. engine?! Why turn something thats 2D into 3D. Even though you would basically be playing capcom vs. SNK with dbz characters it would still be awsome. You could even throw in some wacky mini games like "eating the most rice to score points" or "find all of master roshi's hentai magazines."
Also, as far as the new budokai goes, I definitely need a better fighting system. The one from the first game is just rotten, you hit four buttons and a 26 hit combo magically appears. For a real fighting game veteran like me thats a big turnoff. don't get me wrong I do enjoy playing the game because it is actually a decent dbz game, but after a few hours i had mastered every characters move(because each character has the same one...almost). I just hope we get a better system or else this sequel will not be added to my ps2 library.

Azuma_Ninja
May 28th, 2003, 01:50 PM
originally posted by Krazy

Is there anyone out there besides me who thinks that the next dbz game should use the capcom vs. engine?! Why turn something thats 2D into 3D. Even though you would basically be playing capcom vs. SNK with dbz characters it would still be awsome.

I've waited for a game like this for as long as I've watched DBZ. I don't see how making the game with a capcom engine could be bad I mean just think of Goku's Kamea mea as a hyper move, or vegeta's Gallic gun(i could just picture that one). Every DBZ game that comes out, in no way captures the speed of the fighting in the DBZ universe. I think using the 2D engine would really satisfy the hardcore DBZ fans out there.

omni vengeance
Jun 3rd, 2003, 08:05 PM
budokai was ok but i can see good reasons for changing the second one

1. the first one should've went to majin buu
2. budokai should have had a better fighting engine
3. budokai 2 should, although it wont, go to the end of GT, seeing as how its not that long of a series (arguably 75 ep.s long)

stuartb
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM
is there actually a good dbz game out there.being a fan of the series,i am quite upset with the quality of the games on the market.so in my opinion a lot is expected from this version.
i aint looking to good tho is it.:frust:

Chaos
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:04 PM
i really wouldnt push them to me a 2nd one. like all fighting games they are boring.......cuzz.........

1) u beat every mode
2) get every character
3) plus the seceret characters
4) play it constantly

i hope u can select like SSGoku and stay that way, cuzz in the 1st Budokai when u fought Freeza, he woul be the living mess out of you thn u would turn back into regular Goku and DIE.
Then my oldest brother joined the Air Force and got stationed at Nevada(close by Las Vegas) he called me one day and asked me if he could barrow it. i said "oh yea!" and then i shoved it in a box to send it to him.
in training mode, for the 1st Budokai, i could do A Present For You with Hurcule A.K.A Mr. Satin, like 3 or 4 timez in a row! (IF i had enough KI that is)

i hope my knowledge has helped and convinced someone ^ ^;

P.S. oh yea....If your looking for a perty good DBZ fighting game, I highly prefer Dragon Ball GT Final Bout u can get Vegito, Pan, most of all the GT characters!!:roll:

~*Chaos*~

stuartb
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:12 PM
have 2 agree with u on that one chaos

omni vengeance
Jun 9th, 2003, 10:55 PM
um...gt sucks. if its going to be called dragonball gt it should at least be able to fight sin shenron...not just baby and thats it. i mean THATS THE FIRST SAGA FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!

stevil935
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
everyone loves dbz :-D