PDA

View Full Version : Rockstar Game announces "ManHunt"

Infernal Mass
May 14th, 2003, 10:44 AM
E3 2003: Rockstar go on a Manhunt

Rockstar Games, the developers behind the hit Grand Theft Auto series, have announced that their next title due for release, in the form of Manhunt.

No details about the game are known yet - which is a bit of a suprise when you consider it's due for release on the PlayStation 2 this Autumn - but Manhunt will apparently "explore the depths of human depravity in a vicious, sadistic tale of urban horror". Hmm.

As soon as we find out any more, we'll let you know, and in the meantime you can check out the official Manhunt website which isn't giving away many clues either.

visit the site here (http://www.rockstargames.com/manhunt/)

Azuma_Ninja
May 14th, 2003, 10:02 PM
that website blew me away:lmao:

happy_doughnut
May 15th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Damn, that website is awesome ! ... :blank:
I like the navigation menu and the special features is has. Yep.

"explore the depths of human depravity in a vicious, sadistic tale of urban horror".

Vicious, sadistic, and horror-filled, eh ?
"Hmm" is definitely what I'd say.

I'm not much for Rockstar, though. I guess it comes from the sour impression I got from the GTA series. The game sounds somewhat interesting, but that whole notion of it being "mysterious" with just a short time before release is kinda fishy.

Infernal Mass
May 15th, 2003, 05:13 AM
yep, like a fish taco :blergh:

They should have some stuff up in the coming weeks,..

the only studio from rockstar that i care for is Rockstar North. All of Rockstar's other games i didn't really care for...Max Payne, was ok but i never bought it, the demo was enough for me. State of Emergency, i almost bought..but once the review went online i cancled my reservation. Midnight club, i haven't played yet..my cousin says it's fun though.

digi
- i fixed my pm box..dunno what happened.

Infernal Mass
Jul 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM
More details emerge from the darkness!!

8mm – the game
25.07.2003 | Matt Gander

Since the E3 Manhunt teaser-trailer, the internet has been filled with rumours and speculation regarding Rockstar North's first game since Vice City. GamesMaster magazine has blagged the exclusive first shots, but we have some details to pass on.

Due for release in October, the game's plot is best described as an uncanny mixture between movies 8mm and The Running Man. Set in the fictional Carcer City, you play James Earl Cash, a former prisoner who has been kidnapped and had his execution faked by a rather sinister sounding chap going by the name of The Director. After being dumped onto the streets unarmed, James must fight for survival against various gangs, all just to entertain The Director.

Instead of being an all-out shooter as some might expect, the game focuses heavily on stealth. Played from a third person perspective, all the old Metal Gear Solid tricks are present, such as hiding in shadows and the tapping on walls to create distractions. A noise sonar is also due for inclusion, so if you go running around with little regard for peace and quiet you'll soon end up as worm food.

From the sound of things Manhunt will be significantly more gory than Grand Theft Auto. Each successful kill will be shown from The Director's point of view, which we're assuming will be from behind a CCTV camera. Necks can be broken with crowbars, bodies can be hacked up with meat cleavers and you can even murder people with plastic bags.

***********: News:

First Project Manhunt Details

By: D. F. Smith July 24, 2003 12:41 PM PDT
After plenty of hints and teases in Rockstar's newly-favored fashion, concrete details have finally arisen regarding the next PlayStation 2 game from Rockstar North, developers of the Grand Theft Auto series. The first report on Manhunt has a rather confusing provenance -- from PSM by way of the official UK PlayStation magazine by way of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe -- but it nevertheless clears up some key questions about the game, starting with "well, what the hell is it, anyway?"
The basic answer would seem to be a wholly realistic survival horror game, bereft of zombies or demons or any other trappings of the fantastic. The horrors stalking the game's anti-hero are entirely human, which perhaps speaks of a somewhat grim view of human nature on the part of its creators. The GTA games, to varying degrees, presented crime and violence with a satirical tone -- Manhunt is to be a bit more straightfaced.

The hero -- or, at any rate, the playable character -- is James Earl Cash, a prison inmate who discovers an unpleasant life after death. His lethal injection is faked, and he finds himself in a ruined city that is the property of the Director, a wealthy dilettante who amuses himself by staging violent games of survival. "Carcer City," as it's called, is populated with wrecked buildings, roving armed gangs, and closed-circuit cameras, all of them feeding into the Director's control room. It's Mr. Cash's goal to escape the city without dying for the Director's vicarious entertainment.

Stealth, keeping out of sight and making as little sound as possible, is of course the chief key to survival. The game will offer a sound meter to gauge how close you are to alerting the nearby thugs, as well as detailed patterns of light and shadow to slip in and out of undetected, and plenty of misdirection techniques a la Metal Gear Solid 2. The Director himself will also offer occasional hints regarding where to go and what to do, although he'll undoutably try to manipulate the proceedings for his amusement more than Cash's well-being.

When it's time for a confrontation, 20 weapons are to be available, mostly of a gritty, low-tech style. Guns are the top of the food chain and very rare, while baseball bats, machetes, shanks, garrottes, and even a plastic bag are the more common (and messy) options. As in Tenchu and its descendents, every weapon can be used for an automatic kill if you approach the target undetected. In a neat twist, though, the ensuing death is presented from the Director's perspective, forcing the player into his unpleasantly voyeuristic role.

Which is apparently the point of it all -- Rockstar wants to disturb players with this game. It's an interesting contrast to the cartoonish killing sprees that GTA makes possible, forcing you to see violence in more up-close-and-personal detail. We'll see how well the project is progressing later in the summer, as the developers continue to raise the curtains on Manhunt.

In the meantime, various peculiar teaser videos are available at Rockstar's teaser page, www.valiant-ent.tv.

dan da man
Jul 26th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Nice...Ive been hearing about this game, and some info on it.:cool:

MakgSnake
Jul 27th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Sounds Weird, hope it doesn't turn out to be like "State Of Emergency".....

dan da man
Jul 27th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Yes, hyped and does not live up to it, the usual, but I think Rockstars can pull it off.

Infernal Mass
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

it's the only other game coming out of the Rockstar North division.. the same division of Rockstar games responsible for GTA3 and Vice City.

Which doesn't mean that the game will be as much of a hit, what it does mean though is that the game will share the same type of quality that Rockstar North is now famous for.

Azuma_Ninja
Jul 28th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Wow killing people with plastic bags in a videogame........I never thought I'd see the day:shock: Sounds like this game could be interesting with the survival aspect.

MakgSnake
Jul 29th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Here are some pics....... looks pretty good. If only gameplay goes beyond these......

Running the tunnel (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt2.jpg)

They did say Metal Gear related stuff would be there. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt7.jpg)

And the gang members. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt5.jpg)

Looks like "Shadow Man" stuff....I dont know. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt6.jpg)

And why hes got no hair.? (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt3.jpg)

The game seems dark, but not as dark as they made it sound. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt1.jpg)

This picture reminds me of "State of Emergency", with a little more realistic feeling and dark graphics. (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt4.jpg)

I suppose he is using the Plastic bag here..... (http://www.gamesarefun.com/games/playstation2/manhunt/manhunt8.jpg)

dan da man
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Looks alright, I mean the pics, looks all gangsters! Which is might be a good game.

Redpyramidhead
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:01 AM
This looks like a very intersting title. I could even go so far as to say I'm almost axiously awaiting it already. I don't think it will be anything like State of Emergency, btw (which I don't think was that bad at all.) I'm awaiting more details.

_RED_ stuff

Vicious_2003
Aug 11th, 2003, 04:10 PM
The way i see it . This game could either fall into the lines of GTA (AWESOME) or State of Emergency (Total and utter pile of s*it). Rockstar has allready shown they arent afraid to slap together a VERY weak title and over hype it. I just hope that wont be the case with Man Hunt (Fingers crossed)

Redpyramidhead
Aug 12th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Vicious_2003

The way i see it . This game could either fall into the lines of GTA (AWESOME) or State of Emergency (Total and utter pile of s*it). Rockstar has allready shown they arent afraid to slap together a VERY weak title and over hype it. I just hope that wont be the case with Man Hunt (Fingers crossed)

My therapist says "all or nothing thinking" is bad.

_RED_ stuff

Frozen
Aug 12th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Looks interesting.