PDA

View Full Version : PS2 scam (read this)

Wicked D
May 13th, 2003, 08:01 AM
watch the 6 o'clock news tonight there is a story about how Sony is being sued because it programed the PS2's to say Disk Read Error so you would go buy a new one.

dan da man
May 13th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Wicked D

watch the 6 o'clock news tonight there is a story about how Sony is being sued because it programed the PS2's to say Disk Read Error so you would go buy a new one.

Ive heard about it,but a diffrent story too, sony release the ps2 when it was not fully programmed for every game, that why it read disk read error, I saw that on watchdog.

Sleazy P Martini
May 13th, 2003, 11:43 AM
I'm having a hard time believing this guys. My PS2 has never given me a disk read error........or any other problems either.

dan da man
May 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini

I'm having a hard time believing this guys. My PS2 has never given me a disk read error........or any other problems either.

When did you buy your ps2?

mark0™
May 17th, 2003, 11:28 AM
ive never had a problem. I got one of the first batch of PS2's, then it got replaced under warrenty about a year ago. Not a problem with disk errors with either (my first broke down because the motor burned out or something, stupid brother left it running overnight)

Never had a single Disk Read Error though.

Sleazy P Martini
May 17th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

When did you buy your ps2?

December 2001

goodman
May 18th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Mine never gave me a disk read error, either, it just went belly up completely. The lens burned out and it woulda cost more to replace than replace the system... But my first ps went belly up also, no problems with the second after lens adjusting...

DSgamer
May 19th, 2003, 12:29 AM
bought my PS2 on july 2002, never had a problem with my sexy ass console

dan da man
May 19th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini

December 2001

Right, its nothing really the disk error, hardly any people have had this problem with all the millions of playstation 2's bought.

goodman
May 19th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Dan, i always love how you like to make blanket comments (all incorporating). A lot of people from forums ive read about, have had disc read error's (commonly referred to as DRE). People all over the world have had problems with this, trust me, ive read dozens since the system came out...

DSgamer
May 23rd, 2003, 12:04 PM
ok kids, here's something that might help fix it

http://tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

EDIT: Crap, i accidently posted this here instead of makg's thread GRRRRRR

H22
May 26th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Mine keeps reading a disk error on my GTA3 and it has no scratches or scrapes...I damn near took the cd out and went to play frisbee with it

dan da man
May 27th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by goodman

Dan, i always love how you like to make blanket comments (all incorporating). A lot of people from forums ive read about, have had disc read error's (commonly referred to as DRE). People all over the world have had problems with this, trust me, ive read dozens since the system came out...

Thanks.:D

Redpyramidhead
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:12 AM
I really don't understand. My PS2 sits on the rug on the floor in my room most of the time. It's not like I wipe dust off of it all the time or put s lense cleaner or anything special in it ever. Yet, I hear all these people all the time saying they've had to buy new PS2's cuz they've broken. Seriously, what exactly are you guys doing to them?:laugh: I've had mine since August of 2001. Also, I've never ever had a disk read error message once. I didn't even know that was possible!

Speaking of similar problems, my friend has an X-Box and something like that happens to him all the time. His games will freeze up can something will say it cannot read the disc because there may be something wrong with the disk when everybody perfectly knows it's because of the Box not the game. My friend explained to me it's because the hardware to read the discs isnt as high quality as what is in Sony's machine (even though he's a strong advocate of X-Box) and what some people do is remove that drive themselves and replace it with a higher quality one to eliminate the problem. Of course, that voids your warranty. How about that for a scam instead?

_RED_ stuff