PDA

View Full Version : Game Testing

DragonSphere
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Any body ever done it before with pay? I do it every now and then with Sony, and the money is pretty damn good considering all you do is play games for a couple of hours and give your opinions. Unfortunately, I'm bound by an agreement to not reveal any gameplay aspects (of course), otherwise I'll be permanently excluded or something. :P

Games I've done
Sly Cooper (last summer)
And 2 other platform games within the last two weeks
(let's just say that their respective names are quite well known, and both totally rocked...wait for E3)

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Being paid to play videogames is like my lifelong dream...........I heard the money isn't that good though? Ohh well like you said they're paying you to play games:)

DragonSphere
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Well, the pay is at least reasonable within my boundaries, never got payed more than $100 though; but makes for some good pocket change at the very least.

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Have you ever had your name in the credits of a game for testing it? I think that would be pretty sweet

DragonSphere
Apr 19th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Don't think so...since it isn't in any way an "official" job under the company, just a survey sort of thing within a few dozen people. So it's pretty much insignificant to be considered for inclusion in the credits.

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:17 PM
That's still cool that you do that. If I ever had the opportunity to test games I would. How did you start game testing? Did Sony send you something or did you hear about it over the net?

DragonSphere
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Actually, my sister found it for me on some site that lists various employment opportunities; with jobs ranging from full time to survey (like the game testing). And once you're in, your name is put into a database of sorts where the recruitor will contact you if you fit the requirements for a particular testing. Doesn't happen to often though.

legion
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Don't suppose you could post the link, could you? That would be, um... awesome.

The Skum
Apr 20th, 2003, 03:45 PM
If you need to beta test,do they email you the items or do you actually need to go to one of their offices to do everything?

DragonSphere
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Here's the site (http://www.craigslist.org/), but unless you live within the San Francisco area, you're pretty much out of luck on this one. Game testing is usually filed on Miscellaneous/ Et cetera there.

Originally posted by The Skum
If you need to beta test,do they email you the items or do you actually need to go to one of their offices to do everything?

Always the offices, since it isn't a long-term type of thing. And that way, you'll get supervised as well.

goodman
Apr 20th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Im beta testing a game called "There", which is similar to The Sims, but better from what ive heard about the Sims. Its been a very interesting experience. While there hasnt been any pay, and wont be, its still fun to do something like this. I got accepted for the PlanetSide Beta a few weeks ago, now its just up to SOE to send me the disc so i can check it out...

ssjtrunks13
Apr 20th, 2003, 08:22 PM
I've heard about Square-Enix of America is looking for FF11 beta testers. Can't remember the link though.

Decifer
Apr 21st, 2003, 10:41 AM
the link for FFXI Beta is www.square-enix-usa.com if this doesnt work go to www.playonline.com

ToxicUK
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Is there anywhere to do it in the UK? because we never seem to be able to do things like that over here. Imagine though if you were selected to test one of the MGS series.... WOOOPPPEEE! I would probably say