PDA

View Full Version : Karma - Another Holding Caulfield Production....

Holding_Caulfield
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:40 PM
"What goes around comes around," Sandra McKinney shouted back at her boss, "Don't think you can just fire me and get away with it Mr. Gibson, this is sexual discrimination," The tall distinguished looking man that had employed her for the past seven years laughed. "No this is firing a lazy employee Miss McKinney and there is no law against that." She glared at him then turned and left the third floor of the Milton Building for the last time, her things in a box in her arms. She fumed in the elevator as it moved slowly down to the ground floor, and she fumed as she made her way out to her car, the new mint green jeep that she now couldn't afford, she fumed as she pushed her small box of personal items into the back and she fumed as she climbed into the front seat and pushed her keys into the ignition. The engine came to life with a quiet feline purr and she fumed as she pulled out of the car park and onto the street. "Damn job, who needs it anyway," she muttered as she pulled onto Finch Street and began her long drive back to the house that she now couldn't afford, "I was gonna quit anyway, lousy office job," The streets were busy with mid-afternoon traffic and this only added to her already finely tuned fuming. Yet she ignored it all, her mind solely focused on the many ways she could make her now ex-boss suffer. So what if she had skipped out in the middle of the day for a facial? And who cares if she forgot to write down a couple of messages? It's not like they dealt in life or death situations, they were an insurance agency for Christ's sake. She slammed on the brakes as a small convertible pulled out in front of her and shouted language that would make a sailor blush at the driver. Then finally pulled out of the swarming cars and onto the empty road that ran along the edge of the Partridge Canyon, the road that would take her out of the city and into the quiet residential area of Southport where she had lived for the past two years. She sighed as she looked out at the road in front of her, it was empty apart from one solitary car that loomed ahead. She narrowed her eyes as it grew nearer and sighed again, this time impatiently as she realised it was exactly the same as hers, same make same colour. "Is nothing sacred," she mumbled as she pressed her foot down on the accelerator and moved closer still. The car moved before her, slowly, much slower than was necessary. "Come on," she said angrily as she pressed the horn twice. She glanced past the car to see if there was room to overtake but the winding of the road wouldn't allow her to see clearly and she wasn't about to risk it. She banged the horn again as her mobile began to ring, a shrill distinctive ring that echoed loudly into the canyon on her right. She glanced behind her. "Dammit!" she said as she reached carefully back into the box as the loud ringing continued. She had programmed the tune into it herself, so she would never confuse it with someone else's phone but now as it went on persistently it quickly became irritating. She fumbled in the box, her hand groping for the small rectangular phone that she now couldn't afford. Finally her fingers felt the small rubber buttons and she pulled it out and pushed it to the side of her head. "Yes?" The voice was male and unfamiliar as it began by addressing her as Miss McKinney just like her boss had. "That's Mrs McKinney," she corrected him impatiently, "What do you want?" The man hesitated and then carefully informed her that her Husband was filing for sole custody of their son Aidan. "You have got to be kidding me," she said ignoring the mans attempts to continue, "We're still married or has his feeble brain forgotten that fact, just because he's living with that hussy doesn't mean we're not still husband and wife," The man tried to speak. "You tell Mark that if he thinks he's keeping me from my son then he's even stupider than he looks." She took a deep breath and hung up the phone just as the man began to speak again, then glancing at the lighted screen she switched the phone off and threw it back into the box. "Bastard!" she said as she turned her attentions back to the car that still crawled along in front of her, she slammed her hand on the horn once more and revved her engine. "Come on for Christ's sake." She shouted as she pulled right up to the back bumper of the mirror image jeep, "This isn't a funeral parade you know." Still the car never increased its speed. The windows, tinted just like hers, prevented her from seeing the driver but she could make out a silhouette that kept peering out into the canyon and then back at her. "What are they doing?" she said to herself, then looked up at the heavens and sighed. "Why me?" She pressed her foot a little harder on the accelerator and edged slightly closer, honking the horn again as she did so, the figure looked back again but didn't speed up although the car did appear to be making some new noises that didn't sound at all healthy. "Come on," she edged closer again this time tapping the bumper just enough to make the car jerk forward slightly. Now the car infronts horn sounded. "What are you honking at me for, I'm not the one driving like an old woman," she shouted, pressing her own horn as she did so, then smiling as she settled back in her seat. "Damn women drivers," she said then laughed to herself. She watched the car skulk ahead of her for a few minutes before her patience finally ran out completely, she honked her horn repeatedly and allowed her front bumper to once again make contact with the one infront. Nothing. No response. She did it again. Still nothing, although the silhouette did seem to be waving it's arms around. She smiled and pressed her foot on the gas once more. The bumpers made contact, and then with a screech of tyres the car that had stood in her way was just......gone.

Holding_Caulfield
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:41 PM
She slammed her foot on the brakes and squealed to a stop. What had just happened? She glanced over her shoulder at the spot where the small wall that ran along the side of the road had a huge hole in it, she stared at the tyre marks that ran to the edge of the Canyon and then vanished. "Oh shit!" she said. She turned back and stared at the empty stretch of road that ran ahead of her. What now? Her mind raced, practically laying out her entire future, police, court, prison. She shuddered then taking a deep breath she cautiously opened her door and stepped out. "Calm down Sandy," she told herself, "Panic and your as good as dead." She walked slowly back to the broken wall and nervously peered over the edge. The canyon was deep and the jeep was gone from view but a long trail of wreckage left a path to it's location. "Oh shit!" she said again, this time her voice trembled as she spoke. "Hello?" she called, her voice echoing below her, she glance to her left and right but she was still alone, "Are you alright?" she called quieter now. Nothing. No sound but the echo of her own voice. [I'm a murderer] she though then told herself off for doing it. "It was an accident," she said as she walked back to her car and reached into the back grabbing her phone, "It wasn't my fault.....entirely, I mean they obviously shouldn't have been driving at all," she made her way back to the wall, "I can't be held responsible, it was driver error or whatever they call it," she punched numbers into her phone, "Honestly, it wasn't my fault." A voice asked her what the emergency was. "There's been an accident," she told the female voice, "A car went over the edge of Partridge Canyon," The voice asked her for her name. "Karen Gibson," she said, so the bosses wife got a phone call from the police, so what? Stupid bitch never liked her anyway. "Look it's gone right into the canyon, a green jeep, one occupant, come and find it and do whatever it is you guys do you can't miss the spot it's the bit with the big hole in the wall!" She hung up and once again peered over the edge. She didn't like the drivers chances. "Sorry" she said then walked to where her car was waiting and sat on the wall, she put the phone down beside her and rested her head in her hands. She sat that way for several minutes, before she realised if she stayed any longer she'd still be there when the ambulances arrived. She stood up and jumped into her car, slamming her foot on the gas, then easing slightly when she reminded herself that that was how she got into this in the first place, but still she drove as quickly as she could away from Partridge Canyon and towards the safety of her house. When she finally pulled into her driveway she realised she was shaking all over, she left her box in the car and hurried into the house slamming the door behind her and falling back against it. She was breathing heavily now and she had to slide down the door to the floor before her legs gave way beneath her and did it for her. She thought she was going to pass out, for a second she was certain of it, but she closed her eyes and took several deep breaths and eventually the feeling passed and she pulled herself to her feet. "What's done is done," she said as she made her way up to her bedroom, "There's nothing I could do now even if I wanted to," she walked into her bedroom and threw her coat onto the bed then lay down beside it, "No point in ruining two peoples lives is there," she yawned as she stared up at the white ceiling of her bedroom, tiredness had swept over her like a tsunami and she was at it's command and it was telling her to sleep. Reluctantly she closed her eyes and then everything went black.

Holding_Caulfield
Apr 17th, 2003, 12:43 PM
When she awoke she thought she had had a terrible nightmare, she sat up and looked around her small cosy room. Everything looked normal. She glanced down at the work clothes she still wore, then at the coat that lay by her side. "Shit!" She got up, showered and changed into her comfortable clothes. After all why did she need to dress up it's not like she had a job to go to was it? She ate breakfast, tried listening to the early morning radio shows, even tried watching good morning Southport on local T.V. but the combination of Kip Flounder's cheesy grin and the headache that was beginning to pound behind her eyes proved too much to take so she swallowed a couple of aspirin and switched of the T.V. She tried everything to keep her mind occupied but as was inevitable it wondered back to the events of the day before with every available opportunity. "I need to do something," she told herself, forcing her voice to sound cheerful. Then she remembered her box. It was still out in the car and it needed sorting. She smiled half heartedly and strolled outside and retrieved it, sitting on the sofa and placing it before her. The first thing she saw was the picture of Mark she had kept on her desk, she picked it up and looked at it. His stupid grin, even cheesier than Kip Flounder's if that was possible, his ridiculous haircut that made him look like a military man when the only thing that connected him to anything army-like was Swiss-army knife he had hanging from his key's. She remembered the day the photo had been taken, it was on their trip to Hawaii, he had insisted on wearing the loudest Hawaiian shirt he could find and as she looked at it behind the little square piece of glass she found herself starting to laugh. "You're such a loser," she said to the grinning face in the frame, "That bitch is welcome to you," She threw the picture aside and delved deeper into the box, her seven years working for Gibson hadn't amounted to much, she had a few little plastic toys that used to sit on her computer monitor, a couple of magazines that she used to read when she got bored and a pot plant that was long past dead. She lifted the empty box and stood up looking into it and sighing. The suddenly something hit her. Like someone had punched her in the face and stomach at the same time. She fell back onto the sofa, her pulse speeding up dramatically. Her phone was missing. Her mind flashed back to the day before and she suddenly knew exactly where it was. She had put it on the wall and on the wall was where it was now, unless the ambulance people had found it, then they would find out it was hers and she may as well confess to everything. She began to shake again. Her mind raced. She had to go back and get it, had to make sure no one knew she had been there, make sure no one knew that she had caused the accident. [It wasn't my fault] She jumped up and ran out of the house, her mind focused solely on the task at hand. She left her front door ajar as she leapt into her car and tried to start the engine, it spluttered once then fell quiet. "Oh don't do this to me," she begged, she tried again and this time the engine purred to life. She sighed relieved, perhaps she had hit the car harder than she thought and had damaged hers in some way. "Calm down, Sandy," she told herself as she began to drive, "Panicking will only get you into even more trouble," The sound of her own voice was somewhat comforting, and after a few thousand deep cleansing breaths she felt almost like she wasn't a killer returning to the scene of the crime. Almost. She drove too fast and too carelessly, swerving more than once to avoid an accident, and she received more than one horn honk and several hand gestures and harsh words, but she paid no mind to any of it. She was a woman on a mission. It took her less than half of the usual hour to reach the road than ran parallel to Partridge Canyon, and the fact that some parts of the road had a central reservation meant that she would have to drive all the way to the end go around and come back down the others side. It was early, but she knew she had missed most of the early morning traffic that usually ran into the city. If she was lucky, and lucky was something she was not feeling at all, she could drive around, find her phone (please God) and be back home by lunch time. She tried to keep her eyes on the road ahead of her but they kept sweeping the Canyon wall, like a spotlight looking for an escaping prisoner. There was no Police tape or crime scene type paraphernalia that she could see, but she wasn't experienced in the art or criminal activity so she didn't really know what to look for, but still it seemed too clean somehow, too undisturbed. She ignored her concerns and kept driving until she was finally able to turn around and go back down the side of the road she had been on the day before. The moment her front wheels crossed from DeLancey Street to Canyon Road she slowed down, until she was almost crawling. She peered across the passenger seat and into what she could see of the Canyon. "Geez," she muttered, "That's a long way down," She shuddered and pulled back, not allowing herself to think about it too much. "What's done is done," she told herself again, but she knew it wouldn't go away, she was subconsciously preparing herself for the many nightmares she figured were to come if she were to get away with it at all. She slowed even more as she neared the spot she thought it had happened, but there was still nothing. No tyre marks, no break in the small wall. She frowned as she continued to peer out at the old bricks that stood at around three feet high and didn't hear the engine behind her at first but when the distinctive melody of a mobile phone began to echo out into the Canyon she froze in her seat. "No way!" she whispered, "What are the odds?" She glanced back and her heart stopped for a split second as the mint green Jeep moved closer. The driver honked their horn. "You gotta be kidding me," she said looking back at the road ahead then the Canyon to her right, "What is this the frickin Twilight Zone?" The horn sounded again behind her and this time she honked back then a voice was audible behind her and she began to shake for the third time. She knew the voice. She knew the car. She knew what was coming next. She braced herself as the car's met and jerked forward, her seatbelt pulling tight across her shoulder. "Oh shit," she said a phrase she had used far too often over the past twenty-four hours. She half turned in her seat and tried to wave at the driver behind her, but she knew it was pointless, she just had to try and control the car but the engine suddenly creaked and spluttered. "Please no!" she whispered, and tried to speed up but it wouldn't have it. Then the car behind made contact again and she was again thrown forward with a sudden jolt that hurt her neck. She grabbed the steering wheel and held it tightly, trying desperately to keep the wheels facing the road ahead. She was tempted to close her eyes, hoping if she did when she opened them she would be asleep in her office in the Milton Building taking one of her mid afternoon naps, but she didn't she kept her eyes trained on the road. The car edged closer again and this time the contact was a little harder, her car swerved for a second then steadied and for a second she thought it was going to be alright but then a loud pop sounded ahead of her and her car took a severe turn to the right. "NO!" she screamed as her car met the wall and kept going, she glance back briefly, just in time to see her car come to a screeching stop on the road above, then she looked at the Canyon that she was about to get to know personally. "Shit," she said, "I've heard of people killing themselves but this is ridiculous,"
Then everything went black.

The End

I Thank You.

HC.
:love:

Pu the Owl
Apr 21st, 2003, 03:14 PM
Another good short story from you! Definitely interesting, and the style is similar to the one of the other work. Especially the way the characters are described is peculiar, I think, and different from all the other fics posted around here. Cool :cool:

BTW, I have a question: did you pick your name from the character of Holden Caulfield of "The catcher in the rye"?

Faile
Apr 30th, 2003, 06:22 PM
the catcher in the rye is a wonderful book.

interesting story too. you have a very distinctive writing style.

Holding_Caulfield
May 1st, 2003, 01:18 AM
Yup my name is indeed from Catcher in the Rye, but as Holden is a guys name I changed it to Holding as in 'with my arms around him' hehe

Clever aint I? lol :roll:

HC.
:love:

Pu the Owl
May 4th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Holding_Caulfield

Yup my name is indeed from Catcher in the Rye, but as Holden is a guys name I changed it to Holding as in 'with my arms around him' hehe

Clever aint I? lol :roll:

Indeed.. your idea was... brilliant :laugh: