PDA

View Full Version : Mispronounciation

Reid
Feb 25th, 2002, 09:11 PM
Why the mispronounciations in games?
Can the companies not spend a bit more time on localization or checking out the languages used in certain situations?

If you're unclear as to what I'm talking about and example is;

In Grand Theft Auto 3, the Yakuza character "Asuka" was pronounced as "Ah-soo-ka", when in Japanese the "u" is often not pronounced profoundly so it would sound like "Awz-ka".

Sorry if this confuses people, but has anyone else noticed anything like that?

Pu the Owl
Feb 25th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Yes, it should be pronunced kinda like "Ah-ska" ... but on the other hand the Italian pronounciation in GTA3 was perfect :D

BlackThornn
Mar 10th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Fortune
Yes, it should be pronunced kinda like "Ah-ska" ... but on the other hand the Italian pronounciation in GTA3 was perfect :D

I'm still not sure wether it's Cipriani "sipriani" or "kipriani". O_o

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I cringed when people called Asuka-san's name. But, I just thought, "Hey, they're Italian, maybe because of their accents, they pronounced it that way." (I didn't get very far in GTA3, I'm at the part when I get to Stauton Island). But, mispronounciation just doesn't happen in games. Have you heard any dubbed anime? Omigod....

BlackThornn
Mar 10th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Yeah, I cringed when people called Asuka-san's name. But, I just thought, "Hey, they're Italian, maybe because of their accents, they pronounced it that way." (I didn't get very far in GTA3, I'm at the part when I get to Stauton Island). But, mispronounciation just doesn't happen in games. Have you heard any dubbed anime? Omigod....

What part are you stuck on in particular? I'm like a GTA3 master so I could probably help you.

Yes, I've seen alot of dubbed anime.. My pronunciation's probably worse, though. :heh: Lately I've been leaning to subbed versions of anime like Sorcerer Hunters, and a single ep of Kotetsu. I dun even know if there is any more of that second one.

merylsilverburg
Mar 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
No, no, I'm not stuck, just lazy. :) Thanks anyway. I like subbed anime a bit more now too. I used to be into dubbed but after hearing the Ayashi no Ceres dub..........I think that's what did it.

BlackThornn
Mar 10th, 2002, 11:06 PM
*playing GTA3 again.. he is chased by the FBI into the park, where he hits a fence wrapped tree and flies out of control, flipping over and spinning.. catching on fire but not being able to get out in time before he blows up* ...those cops have got some anger management issues, man.. that all started with me bumping a cop car. >_<!

I kinda just faded into subbed instead of dubbed.. sounds better. :)