PDA

View Full Version : Games that should stay 2d

synicalgohan91
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM
I played streetfighter EX3 a while ago and i thought altough the graphics were good the game wasn't as fun to play as the others. My point is that i think this game should have stayed 2d. I think Street Fighter II turbo for the SNES was movie fun.

mark0™
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:09 PM
I love 2D, especially side scrolling beat em ups/shooters.

I'd like to see them being made on the PS2, but the with 2D, there isnt as much effects you can pull off compared to 3D, and obviously a games programmer wants to stress out the power of the console... Not make a repeat of a game style thats been out-dated.

But Like a few here, I say its gameplay that matters, not graphics. I noticed this when playing some old SNES Games on an emulator and enjoyed them more than new, 3D games...

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
I don't think the issue lies with 2D graphics versus 3D graphics - I believe it lies with whether or not it's a 3D game world.

R-Type Delta on PSOne is 3D graphics, but the gameplay is nothing but pure 2D shoot-em-up, same with Einhander.

There appears to be a temptation to move games into a 3D world, and I don't think it always works. Case in point, the Mario games. I love the old 2D NES/SNES originals but really don't like Mario 64/Sunshine. I thought the move to a 3D world killed them.

I was so glad to see Contra keep 2D gameplay, even though it's rendered in 3D.

- S

Berserker
Mar 24th, 2003, 06:21 AM
I agree with you spank, mario should have stayed 2D it was beautiful to see mario64 with all the graphics and cool movement freedom...but the gameplay just wasn't there:disturb:

MakgSnake
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Honetly, I want every 2D game to be transported into 3D. I mean it should be given a chance atleast once. No 2D game should stay 2D forever..... complete 3D should be added to it (I am talking about 3rd Person or First Person 3D type)

Its just like saying..... what type of movies should stay BlackWhite.

3D has been the next step, that we are into now.

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 24th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Honetly, I want every 2D game to be transported into 3D. I mean it should be given a chance atleast once. No 2D game should stay 2D forever..... complete 3D should be added to it (I am talking about 3rd Person or First Person 3D type)

Its just like saying..... what type of movies should stay BlackWhite.

3D has been the next step, that we are into now. Actually Makg, using your movie comparison - I'd say moving all games to first-person 3D would be similar to all films employing Matrix-style camera effects.

There are certainly games that would never work as first-person 3D - fighting and football games come to mind. Resident Evil and Silent Hill are also two series' that would suffer - especially from an atmospheric point of view.

Having said that, there are some games I would like to see realised in 3D - I'm not totally dis-agreeing with you. It just seems (well, for me anyway) that the majority of games chosen to be 'Three-De-ed' are not suited for 3D game worlds in the first place.

- S

MakgSnake
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:04 PM
I said, First "AND" Third Person......... ! Never said only FPS....... as I know you have a point in that, I do agree with you.... But every game could be done well in a 3rd Person View atleast. :)

Animaman
Mar 31st, 2003, 03:07 PM
The Monkey Island series should never have gone 3D. The expressions and the movements were much better in 2D, when it went 3D, the characters and environments looked like something from a bad puppet show.:peoples:

Minsc
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:49 PM
ONE WORD : CASTLEVANIA :roll:

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:52 AM
what's everyone's opinion on metroid going 3D? I was a huge fan of the nes and snes metroid. My bro's one of the biggest metroid fans around and at first he hated that the series went 3D. He did buy and beat Metroid Prime and said he liked it. I haven't played Prime yet just wanted to know what other's think

Reid
Apr 4th, 2003, 09:59 AM
I think Shinobi worked really well in 3D as far as enjoyable gameplay goes.

Too bad it was so excruciatingly hard.

:P

Has anyone here finished that?

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Reid, I remember getting to the last boss in Shinobi.........I don't think I ever beat him though before I returned the game.

Reid
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:07 AM
That's as far as I could get too.

The last boss is way too hard.

That game has given me the biggest love/hate relationship with any form of entertainment because it has really fun gameplay and a decent level of difficulty at times but later on especially it gets so hard that it seems cruel.

Azuma_Ninja
Apr 5th, 2003, 12:21 AM
yeah i hear ya man. I loved how you could kill most bosses with a single hit. But the dowside is if you blew that part then the boss battle drawn out and pretty darn tough. I can still remember fighting that stupid spider boss (oh the horror).