PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest

Reid
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:41 PM
This is sort of inspired by all the talk in the metal thread.

Who would you consider to be the greatest rock instrumentalists?

Give your list of favourite/most talented guitarists, bassists, drummers, etc. and why.

This should be interesting to see what people will come up with.

:D

XxmandykissezxX
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Joe Satriani and Steve Vai are amazing guitarist! Just listen to them, they have great talent that most people die trying to get.

Stu Hamm is a cool drummer, hehe..he's a pretty funny guy too. :)

Also, anyone hear of Matt King of Course of Evolution? ;)

MakgSnake
Mar 11th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I dont know the last time something like this happened, people got pissed of by other people's opinions. Hope this one goes well.

Amazing Guitarist "Aamir Zaki"..... that guy is mind blowing.. or "Salman Ahmed"......

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Guitarist hmm probably Hammet, bass Flea, drums....look at my sig...

and if you want some awesome vocals bring in frickin Robert Plant

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Hmm lets see

Guitar:

Mark Tremonti (Creed) New style of guitar.Very different and distinct sound.On the rise and is a great young guitarist

Jimmy Page (Led Zepplin) He's an absolute great.Had some great rythyms and amazing leads.

Kirk Hammet (Metallica) He has some of the greatest structured leads along with some of the fastest

More mentions

James Hetfield
Jimi Hendrix
Zakk Wylde
Randy Rhoads
Dimebag Darell

Bass: I don't know many bassits but i'll mention the ones I liked from the riffs I heard

Cliff Burton (Metallica)
Flea (Red Hot Chilli Peppers)
John Paul Jones (Led Zepplin)
Jason Newsted (Metallica.....Now EchoBrain)

Drums:

Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
Scott Phillips (Creed)
John Bonham (Led Zep) Thx Spank :)
Aaron Gainer (12 Stones)
That drummer from X japan

and the rest of those speedy as Punk Drummers

Vocals

Scott Stapp (Creed)
Robert Plant (Led Zep)
Eddie Vedder (Pearl Jam)
James Hetfield (Metallica)
Paul McCoy (12 stones)
Corey Taylor (Slipknot......Now Stone Sour)

ssjtrunks13
Mar 11th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Vocals:Fred Durst(Limp Bizkit)

Just to let you know this is due to the fact that I have an extremely narrow group of bands I listen to.

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 11th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Strictly rock huh? Okay, here goes...

Drums:
John Bonham - Led Zep
Alex Van Halen - Van Halen
Dave Lombardo - ex-Slayer
Neil Peart - Rush

Guitarists:
Randy Rhodes (RIP) - Ex-Ozzy
Paul Gilbert - Mr. Big
Nuno Bettencourt - ex-Extreme
Tom Morello - Ex-Rage/Audioslave
James Hetfield - Metallica (Rhythm playing only)
Prince - Prince

Bass:
Billy Sheenan - Mr. Big (fret-tapping on a bass! :D)
Les Claypool - Primus
Cliff Burton (RIP) - ex-Metallica

Vocals:
Axl Rose - GnR (only Appetite era though! Boy could screech!)
Steven Tyler - Aerosmith
Chris Cornell - ex-Soundgarden/Audioslave
Layne Staley (RIP) - ex-Alice in Chains

And... stick a fork in me, I'm done...

- S

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Vocals:Fred Durst(Limp Bizkit)

Just to let you know this is due to the fact that I have an extremely narrow group of bands I listen to.

Wow man, you need to broaden your horizon...

And Snake I'm glad you came around with Bonham, and yes Dimebag is the man...in fact I'm just listening to some Drag the Waters right now...good stuff

trunks69420
Mar 11th, 2003, 08:54 PM
As far as guitar gods are concerned i will go w/ who i have seen. Tom Morello and Dave Navaro(sp?) I know i have listned to countless musicians, but when you hear them live and open for flaw... it makes all the difference. I really enjoyed Chris Cornell a lot. He has some great vocals... He really gets into his stuff. Maynard J.K. is another who unfortunately i haven't seen myself live but have on video... my god this guy can hold a note... his voice just enchants my inner mind with the mind bending flexibility. i will post more musicians as i come up with them.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Oh theres one more guitarist I must mention.His name is Bill Peck,he's 23 and absolutely phemoninal.Too bad not many people have heard of him.Go check some of his stuff at www.bill-peck.com.

Preventer Wind
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Guitar:

Jimi Hendrix. He could speak with his guitar and was just an amazing performer (not that I have seen live though :laugh:)

There are so many other good ones but you guys have most of them. So here are some I think are good but you have not mentioned yet.

Eric Clapton
Kurt Cobain
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Eddie Van Halen

Drums: I'm not to educated in this department....

I like Lar and Bonham.

Vocals: Tough choice.......

I really don't have a favorite but I think these people are all great.

Eddie Vedder
James Hetfield
Stevie Nicks - Had to throw a woman in somewhere.
Janis Joplin - again show the love people....
Robert Plant

Oh well just my opinions....

BTW how did Prince get on anybody's list? :laugh:

Killuminati
Mar 11th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Guitar: Jimi Hendrix. could play his guitar better and faster than most ppl could move there fingers.

other mentions:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page

ssjtrunks13
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:26 PM
I mainly listen to Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park, but there are some bands that have only a few songs I like.
Staind
Puddle of Mudd
Korn(about one or two)
Pearl Jam(I've only heard one or two songs)
Creed

That's about it. I mainly listen to rap and I don't like many rock bands. I've been thinking about getting a Rage Against the Machine cd. I guess you could say I like the bands with some sort of hip-hop element.

Gadzoox
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:58 PM
Vocals:
David Bowie
Art Alexakis (Everclear)
Matthew Good

I LOVE these guys' voices, I can't get enough of 'em!!

Guitar:
Jimi Hendrix
Randy Rhodes (Ozzy)
Angus Young (AC/DC)

Drums:
Bonham. heee.

Bassists:
Umm... dunno.

Saxophone-ist:
David Bowie! ehehee

Preventer Wind
Mar 12th, 2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13 \
That's about it. I mainly listen to rap and I don't like many rock bands. I've been thinking about getting a Rage Against the Machine cd. I guess you could say I like the bands with some sort of hip-hop element.

You got a computer... just download some songs by different bands, old or new. Most of my cd collection (Like 40 - 50 cds) is either oldies or rock. If you have a 56k modem just start to dload the songs and go do something else. Music is something that everyone should get into. There is a style for almost everybody. It's just a suggestion.....

Berserker
Mar 12th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Guitar:
-Jimi hendrix
-Joe Satriani
-Steve Vai
-Jef Beck
-Tony Iommi
-Rocky George

Drums:
-Pete Sandoval
-Dave Lombardo
-Paul Bostaph
-Gene Hoglan
-Mike Borden

Bass;
-Robert Truliljo
-Les Claypool( hell yeah best ever!!!!)
-Jaco Pastorius

Vocals:
-Michaela Graves
-Zoli
-Glen Danzig
-Kurt Cobain ( I know his technique wasn't that good but I liked the sound and emotion his voice had)
-Elvis

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by Preventer Wind
BTW how did Prince get on anybody's list? :laugh: Simply because he has done some songs that could be considered rock - and he is one awesome guitarist...

- S

Piggle_humsy
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:39 AM
I'm so glad that people started to mention Jimi Hendrix! I was reading through the post thinking How can nobody put him on their list!!
I haven't really got anyone to add to the list as I cant really tell the difference between great and alright! ok!
I may think about it and add a few which people will then make people say "This girls an idiot!" :laugh:
I once saw a program with a biy of 14 who was absolutley fantastic on his guitar, I would put him but dunno his name and he's not famous! lol! he'd obviously spent his life playing guitar and not much else!

Piggle :roll:
x x x x

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by XxmandykissezxX

Stu Hamm is a cool drummer, hehe..he's a pretty funny guy too. :)

Stu Hamm is a bassist (http://www.stuarthamm.net/)

I'm just going to list my top two favorites of each category

Guitar:
Eddie Van Halen
Angus Young

Bass:
Steve Harris
Karl Alvarez

Drums: (not really my thing)
Dave Lombardo

Vocals:
Dee Snider :D
Joey Ramone

ssjtrunks13
Mar 12th, 2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Preventer Wind

You got a computer... just download some songs by different bands, old or new. Most of my cd collection (Like 40 - 50 cds) is either oldies or rock. If you have a 56k modem just start to dload the songs and go do something else. Music is something that everyone should get into. There is a style for almost everybody. It's just a suggestion.....

Thanks for the suggestion, but where would I start? I've already heard songs from people I've heard on the radio and TV which I don't particualarly like. If it's not on television or the radio I don't know about it, I didn't even know 50 Cent was signed to Jam Master Jay's label before he died(just to name an example).

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:42 PM
You know this really shocks me that so little people had members of Metallica on there list.I mean Metallica plays sets atleast 2 to 3 times longer than some of the bands these other members belong to and most of the time without headliners.I mean hell you can't really judge a great if you never heard them live or what there capable live.Some of the people mentioned play slower stuff and some play some inbetween stuff but Metallica lets it rip for like 2 hours + sometimes and doesn't take real large breaks, espically lars, who has a truck load of endurance.Anyways I this will be my last thing to bitch about but I felt I should.

Preventer Wind
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13
Thanks for the suggestion, but where would I start? I've already heard songs from people I've heard on the radio and TV which I don't particualarly like. If it's not on television or the radio I don't know about it...

Start anywhere. Just pick a band and dload some songs from them. You can usually tell if you like the song in the first minute of it. There are those songs that you listen to once and you think change the station. Then you listen to it again and you think not bad. Then you hear it again and you end up dloading it and listening to it over and over and over.

Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon
Simply because he has done some songs that could be considered rock - and he is one awesome guitarist...

I guess so. I respect your opinion. I just never thought of him as one of the greatest guitarists.

XxmandykissezxX
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Stu Hamm is a bassist ...

Yes I know that....small typo there, sorry about that :P hehe

Berserker
Mar 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM
SSSnake what has endurance to do with technique a shitty guitarist can play for six hours straight but he will still be a shitty guitarist( I'm not saying metallica sucks believe me I've seen them twice and they kick ass). Most bands that play shorter do that cause they think that's the right way short and powerful....Take them by storm!!!! And mostly it isn't an endurance thing how long a band plays... my band could practice/jam for five hours straight but then again we never played longer than one hour sets...so I have to disagree with you on that.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 13th, 2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by beserker

SSSnake what has endurance to do with technique a shitty guitarist can play for six hours straight but he will still be a shitty guitarist( I'm not saying metallica sucks believe me I've seen them twice and they kick ass). Most bands that play shorter do that cause they think that's the right way short and powerful....Take them by storm!!!! And mostly it isn't an endurance thing how long a band plays... my band could practice/jam for five hours straight but then again we never played longer than one hour sets...so I have to disagree with you on that.

I'm sure that excludes the big breaks you guys probably take too.These guys don't take huge breaks other than for solos.Plus i'm also an instrumentalist dealing with both drums and guitar and i stand by my statement.For the type of music they play it can take alot outta you and not to screw up too.I've seen alot of bands in concert.Some former greats infact, that play short sets that mess up once or twice on easy material.Then we have Metallica who plays for extented lenghts and hardly ever screws up.Oh back to your band thing.I bet your band can play every Metallica song and you know how fast they go and what chords to do along with drumming, bass and stuff like that.

Berserker
Mar 13th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Older metallica is indeed some really fast stuff then again only the first album has some real back to back wrist-wreckers the newer only one or two faster songs. And for the chords stuff it's all basic pentatonic stuff no real challenge there. Most of the songs are played entirely with down strocks, so if you got you're strumming technique right it's not too difficult. Dude believe me I find metallica excellent live they're coming to europe this summer and I'm going to see them once again...but to be honest in an all-time greatest list of musicians they won't be present that much. If it should be a songwriters or entertainers list it should be a different story...

ssjtrunks13
Mar 13th, 2003, 12:15 PM
For guitarist I would say Carlos Santana, don't know if you guys would accept that though.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 13th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by beserker

Older metallica is indeed some really fast stuff then again only the first album has some real back to back wrist-wreckers the newer only one or two faster songs. And for the chords stuff it's all basic pentatonic stuff no real challenge there. Most of the songs are played entirely with down strocks, so if you got you're strumming technique right it's not too difficult. Dude believe me I find metallica excellent live they're coming to europe this summer and I'm going to see them once again...but to be honest in an all-time greatest list of musicians they won't be present that much. If it should be a songwriters or entertainers list it should be a different story...

You don't even think hammet would make it as a great beserker?

Berserker
Mar 14th, 2003, 02:10 AM
You don't even think hammet would make it as a great beserker?

IMO NO, he's a very good guitarist but guys like Vai, Satriani, Beck, Hendrix etc. are IMO a whole different league.
To be honest when it comes to metallica I even like Hetfield's solo work better it's straight pentatonic stuff but it has some great melodic hooks in it. Sssnake have you seen the metallica video where they're showing backstage studio stuff and shit???
You can see Hetfield jamming at a blues bar, he can play some mean blues guitar!!!
But the guys from metallica won't be on my greatest list...but hey that's just my opinion right??

P.S. Check out steve vai's Passion and Warfare if you got the chance and let me know what you think of the guitar work...

Redpyramidhead
Mar 16th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Anyways I will list a few random fav vocalists for now:

Vocalists:
(no particular order)
Chino Moreno
Chris Cornell
Eddie Vedder
Layne Staley (REST IN PEACE, MAN!)
Scott Weiland
Robert Plante
Jerry Cantrell
Billy Corgan
Anthony Keidis
Peter Steele
Vortex
Ihsahn
Jim Morrison
Rob Zombie
Dani Filth
Max Cavalera
Tori Amos
Trent Reznor
Kurt Cobain
Shagrath
Zack De La Rocha
Maynard James Keenan
Phil Anselmo
Pepper Keenan
Dave Grohl

yep that's good for now

_RED_ stuff

Reid
Mar 19th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Alright, I know already that I'm going to forget some of those that I really like but here goes.

Vocals

Robert Plant - Led Zeppelin

Chino Moreno - deftones

Jack Bruce - Cream

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age

Maynard James Keenan - Tool

Kurt Cobain - Nirvana

Brandon Boyd - Incubus

Zach de la Rocha - Rage Against the Machine

Chris Cornell - Soundgarden/Audioslave

John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison - The Beatles

Edwin - I Mother Earth (pre-Blue,Green,Orange), Edwin & Edwin and the Pressure

Ben Harper - Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals

Bass

Flea - The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Jack Bruce - Cream

Brad Smith - Blind Melon

Les Claypool - Primus

Victor Wooten - Victor Wooten

Gabriel Nelson - Cake

John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin

Guitar

Jimi Hendrix - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble

Josh Homme - Queens of the Stone Age

Dave Navarro - Jane's Addiction, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Navarro

Eric Clapton - Cream, The Yardbirds, Eric Clapton & a Lot More

Drums

Danny Carvey - Tool

Ginger Baker - Cream

John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

Dave Grohl - Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age (probably many won't agree but I just really dig his style and the way he adapts to the different music he plays, helluva songwriter too)

So, that's what I have. I'm already thinking of all of the other greats that I've left out but . . . this should do the trick for now.

:D