PDA

View Full Version : Let's get vertical?

Gadzoox
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:36 PM
I've heard that If you have the PS2 set-up vertical for a long period of time, it wont work if you put it horizontal again... anyone heard anything like that before?

*is all protective of her PS2* :>

DSgamer
Mar 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM
jeez, wish i could help u, i allways keep mine horizontal because im afraid it might fall

*is all protective of his PS2*

Gadzoox
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Yeah... I was going to get the vertical stand for it... it's because my new TV and it's new stand can't hold everything stacked up, but it'd fit perfect on the side vertically... I don't want to ruin it though!

dan da man
Mar 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Gad Im going to tell you straight, that is a load of bullshit, it works verticall and horizontal, to suit you best,

DSgamer
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:17 PM
"watch the language little boy, there's females present"

Gadzoox
Mar 8th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Hehee, thanks Dan, you too gamer! ;)

Preventer Wind
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:02 AM
IT'S GOING TO @#$% UP ANY WAY!

Just my opinion...

ssjtrunks13
Mar 10th, 2003, 12:08 PM
My concern would be, How would you put in the disks if it's vertical without them falling out?

mark0™
Mar 10th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Theres a slight rim poking out on the disk tray, which catches on to the disk to prevent it falling out.

My PS2 has been standing verticle probably 98% of the time i have owned it, So ive never checked it horizontaly, but, as Dan said, its probably BS.

"watch the language little boy, there's females present"

Whats the point in posting that?

Nelo Angelo
Mar 10th, 2003, 05:17 PM
I've never put it vertical, but I did hear that there would be problems if you did have it on vertical.

Honestly, I prefer my PS2 to be horizontal so you can say I'm sort of biased to have it be vertical.

Gadzoox
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:59 AM
Hmm... Have any of you with it vertical had problems with your games getting scratched badly, or at all?

I'm so paranoid. I think ill just do it and get it over with.

dan da man
Mar 11th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox

Hmm... Have any of you with it vertical had problems with your games getting scratched badly, or at all?

No I have'nt, but I always have my ps2 vertical now, becuase my xbox is takes most of the space up, its not becuase its huge, (no bigger than a dvd player) its just that it cant be vertical for its SIZE. Ive seen the gamecube and they do look cute, very small too, so it wot take up to much space if I get one.

MakgSnake
Mar 11th, 2003, 11:21 AM
What I would suggest now is that you put your Playstation2 vertical than horizontal. Just buy a Vertical Stand. Trust me its much much better. There was a reason why Sony made Ps2 vertical stand optional. The lens read the DVD games and movies better this way.

If you experience a skip or certain errors in your normal DVD player, just make it vertical and the problem wouldn't occur again. Just like that Ps2 wouldn't have any problem at all if put vertically (For a longer period of time atleast)

Apart from that, if you put your Ps2 vertically, all the dust that goes inside sits down, and as you can see the lense and where the CD trey is, would be on the top. Like that you Ps2 would get less dust on its lens.

I always suggest people using the Vertical Stand. Its much better. And trust me nothing happens to it if you put it back on Horizontally, but Vertical is just better.

Gadzoox
Mar 12th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Hm... interesting. I think I'll bite the bullet and put it vertical then.

Thanks everyone!! :D

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 12th, 2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Gadzoox

Hm... interesting. I think I'll bite the bullet and put it vertical then.

Thanks everyone!! :D Zoox, just some more info to put your mind at ease. I've had my PS since day of release in the UK (Nov 2000) and since day one it's been vertical. I have had no problems whatsoever with my PS2.

As has been said - the PS2 was designed to be stood vertically. Hence why SONY released a vertical stand, hence why the PSX logo rotates to suit your PS2 orientation and hence why most marketing pictures of PS2 show it vertical.

You have nothing to worry about. You don't see photos of PSOne, XBox and so on vertical - but that's cos they weren't designed to - PS2 was.

Besides, it just looks better when it's vertical! :D

- S

dan da man
Mar 12th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

- S

I agree with that too.:D

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:43 AM
I had mine vertical for a while....worked fine. And then the cat started walking into it for some reason. :blink: So I decided to leave it horizontal.

Gadzoox
Mar 13th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

- S

W00t! I got the stand today and WOW!! It's so sexy now! ahaha! :love:

AHAHAAHA @ Sleazy! :laugh:

Thanks again everyone for your feedback and re-assurances! :happy:

merylsilverburg
Mar 19th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Oh.....I'm too late. :(
I heard about that "rumor" but it doesn't seem to be a rumor....when my PS2 didn't work a couple of months ago, I had to call Sony for help and the guy asked me if I had it horizontal then vertical. He told me that if you do that, your PS2 will break. The reason being is the parts and pieces inside are plastic and once it settles into the position, changing it would shift the parts and ruin the lens and other things.
It ends up that my lens were just ruined (not due to position changing), but I've left mine vertical ever since I bought it and hearing that guy tell me that,
I'm never changing the position of my PS2.

Gadzoox
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Awww crud! :(

I guess I'll have to see for myself because i've gotten so many mixed answers about this whole thing... I'll let you guys know if I do have any problems with it vertical though!!

merylsilverburg
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Sorry Gad, I should've came here sooner. :( I hope nothing happens to your PS2. :( If everything goes well, then you've proven that it was a rumor then I don't have to be so over-protective myself. *stares at her Japanese PS2* :heh:

Kimahri
Mar 20th, 2003, 07:41 PM
Its kinda stupid for them to make something that will make the ps2 act up, don't ya think, but I never had it like that vertical, I always had it horizontal.

merylsilverburg
Mar 21st, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BesaidX-2

Its kinda stupid for them to make something that will make the ps2 act up, don't ya think, but I never had it like that vertical, I always had it horizontal.

Maybe they didn't realize about this little problem until after it was made? :confused: (I'm no expert, just my assumption :laugh: ). But yeah, that is pretty terrible. :P

MakgSnake
Mar 25th, 2003, 11:03 PM
I dont know, I have kept my Ps2 for the first 6 months Horizontal, and then changed it to Vertical for 8 months, and it was fine and now again for a change Its Horizontal. It works perfectly fine.

Kimahri
Mar 26th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

I dont know, I have kept my Ps2 for the first 6 months Horizontal, and then changed it to Vertical for 8 months, and it was fine and now again for a change Its Horizontal. It works perfectly fine.

I dont know why this rumor started for that it will mess up vertical, some little LAMO somehweres in this world just wanted people to worry! :laugh: But I wish I could have it vertical, its just in a TIGHT SPOT!

Gadzoox
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:24 PM
I'm a HUGE worrier to start with.. hehe.

I've also heard that the first PS2s' out were only the ones that had problems being vertical... I bought mine not that long ago so hopefully it's not one of the old stock...

Kimahri
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Gadzoox, it doesnt matter if you by it early or not, they are all made at the same time even though you bought it a week ago, or a year ago! :) Trust me if they didn't do that, they wouldnt be able to have them in stores cause the low supply!

ToxicUK
Apr 26th, 2003, 04:29 PM
OK Ive only ever had ONE problem with having mine vertical and that was with Smugglers Run it kept clicking when it was vertical and the game started freezing so I had to put it back horizontal - I sold that game now though so I do keep mine vertical most of the time now because it looks stylish in my room.

alphaque
Apr 27th, 2003, 11:44 PM
vertical... horizontal.... i should think that it doesnt make a difference.... i have had my ps2 for sumtime alreadi. when its not being played with ... it goes into a bag and into my cupboard. i have played wit the ps2 vertical .... as well as horizontal.... never had probs like disc gettin scratch or even hanging..... i dun like leavin my toys around when im not playin wit it. thats why i like to keep it. when its not being used......

01_BlitzBaller
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Having it vertical makes it look mcsexah (don't ask) I used to use it horizontal but I got a vertical stand for my b-day an I loved it.........

PS: Don't you think that the horizontal stand was a pretty stupid Idea...:disturb:

ToxicUK
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:37 PM
vertical... horizontal.... i should think that it doesnt make a difference.... i have had my ps2 for sumtime alreadi. when its not being played with ... it goes into a bag and into my cupboard. i have played wit the ps2 vertical .... as well as horizontal.... never had probs like disc gettin scratch or even hanging..... i dun like leavin my toys around when im not playin wit it. thats why i like to keep it. when its not being used......

But why hide it... its a beautiful bit of machinery - you dont just put it away when youre done - you leave it hooked up so you can always play it.

Not completely - the horizontal stand is for when you have it on rough surfaces like if its on a sharp surface or if its up high on a ledge so it doesnt slip easily...

Gadzoox
Apr 29th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ToxicUK

But why hide it... its a beautiful bit of machinery -

Could even go so far as to call is a piece of art? :>

hehe, I'm sorry, i couldn't resist!

ToxicUK
Apr 30th, 2003, 02:37 PM
OOh!! now youre pushing my temeper! Go look under the thread we were arguing about and think of an answer to my last post.