View Full Version : MGS 2:substance

Matrix
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:06 AM
man oh man, I am so excited only

"9 more days till it comes out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

let the countdown begin

dan da man
Feb 24th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Yes you get the game in 9 days, we dont, not till march 27th, but we got the xbox version the same day as you, so unfair!

Vic Viper
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:27 PM
but you guys are getting a free copy of the Document..

NOT FAIR !!!:frust: :P

dan da man
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by king_freak

but you guys are getting a free copy of the Document..

NOT FAIR !!!:frust: :P

Oh yeah.....We both have out advantages and disadvantages!;) :laugh:

MakgSnake
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Gonna pick this sweet gem on the day of its release. Oh yeah!!!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

Oh yeah.....We both have out advantages and disadvantages!;) :laugh:

It seems you guys have better advantages on this game than we do here in North America.

dan da man
Feb 24th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

It seems you guys have better advantages on this game than we do here in North America.

Kind off, but you guys had the mgs documment disc out for months to buy, we are only just getting it. *cough*FREE!*cough*

Matrix
Feb 26th, 2003, 06:39 PM
6 more days people!!!!!!!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 26th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Best Buy's website says it comes out in 8 days.

dan da man
Feb 27th, 2003, 06:03 AM

Best Buy's website says it comes out in 8 days.

Thats a bit confusing, I found out that the xbox version comes out on March 7th, all diffrent release dates!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 27th, 2003, 07:52 AM

Thats a bit confusing, I found out that the xbox version comes out on March 7th, all diffrent release dates!

Is that for where you live? Over here in North America the PS2 version is coming out on March 6th according to Best Buy's website. I'll know for sure this weekend.

dan da man
Feb 27th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Is that for where you live? Over here in North America the PS2 version is coming out on March 6th according to Best Buy's website. I'll know for sure this weekend.

The Europe release, Yea where I live, becuase its coming out on a lot of platforms, there quite alot of release date!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 28th, 2003, 09:23 AM
I understand now. For here the release for the PS2 version according to bestbuy.com is March 6th.

Dark Angel
Feb 28th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Erm, do you realise the European release of Substance has been put back to March 28th?

dan da man
Feb 28th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Dark Angel

Erm, do you realise the European release of Substance has been put back to March 28th?

Yea, I saw it a couple of days ago, totally forgot. But the xbox version of substance is out on march 7th!

ssjtrunks13
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM
You guys get both versions in the same month? Which are you gonna get?

dan da man
Feb 28th, 2003, 06:19 PM

You guys get both versions in the same month? Which are you gonna get?

I think I might get both, but my bro has got the ps2 and wont let me go on it!:mad:
So il get the xbox version, then a month later when I have some money, I will get the ps2 version, becuase they are released 20 days seprate.

Vic Viper
Mar 1st, 2003, 06:50 PM
PS2 SUBSTANCE FACTS:

1)There is a little bit of extra cinema that has been re-integrated back into the Sons of Liberty game itself for North America (old to Europe, new to North America)

2)European Extreme Difficulty is available (UNLOCK by completing Tanker-Plant once under any difficulty)

3)The USP Suppressor is available on the tanker's crows nest (UNLOCK by completing Tanker twice under any difficulty)

4)You can see Snake, Pliskin and Raiden in sunglasses throughout the SOL game (UNLOCK by completing Tanker twice under any difficulty)

5)Casting Theater is available (UNLOCK by completing Tanker once under any difficulty)

6)Boss Survival is available (UNLOCK by completing Tanker once under any difficulty)

7)358 VR missions, 153 Alternative missions (Alternative meaning they take place on the Tanker, Big Shell, and Arsenal Gear) for a total of 511 missions.

8)Snake Tales: 5 separate stories to play through all involving Solid Snake. Three of these Tales have possible alternate ending scenarios. Stories are text based.

9)There are 3 extra Snake's to play as in the VR/Alternative/Snake Tales (Pliskin, Tuxedo Snake, MGS1 Snake)

10)There is 1 extra Raiden to play as in the VR and Alternative Missions: Raiden in the Gray Fox Cyborg Ninja outfit (he uses only the HF blade which provides hours of hack and slash action)
*note: I won't even mention that one tiny little VR Mission with "X Raiden" aka naked Raiden.

11)GameShark / Action Replay codes will be available which will allow even more gameplay possibilities.
------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT PS2 SUBSTANCE HAS THAT XBOX DIDN'T:
(ALL NEW FOR PS2)

Skateboarding: With Snake and Raiden.

Five extra characters in Casting Theater: Cyborg Ninja, Raiden (ninja), Otacon, Meryl and Substance MGS1 Snake

Two extra boss battles in Boss Survival: (1) a battle against the Arsenal Tengus where you probably control who you want to (Snake or Raiden) while the other provides back-up, and (2) the tanker soldiers shoot out battle.

If you have a save file on your Memory Card from "The Document of MGS2" it "may" unlock every character and stage in all of the VR/Alternative Missions at the initial start of the game *(I will confirm this as true or false on 3/5)

"The Document of MGS2" is exclusive to PS2, so it's possible the save file deal could work for the USA PS2 Substance (a possible extra reason to own Document)

There won't be any slowdown in frames per second like the Xbox version had (Aft Deck of Tanker):

thanks to SUBTERGAL from the gamefaqs mgs2:S board for this info..

:)

dan da man
Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:48 AM
Very nice facts King_Feak, nothing new to me, but something to confirm it.:)

ssjtrunks13
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:02 AM
I had no idea of almost all of that. I can't wait to get the game with the MGS2 document DVD for PS2. Thanks for the info and I would appreciate it if you let us know whether the point below is true or false(you could alaways give the link instead):
If you have a save file on your Memory Card from "The Document of MGS2" it "may" unlock every character and stage in all of the VR/Alternative Missions at the initial start of the game *(I will confirm this as true or false on 3/5)

dan da man
Mar 2nd, 2003, 11:09 AM
I dont know if that quote is true or fasle, Im not to bothered becuase Im getting the mgs2 doccument with the game, So il just be playing on sub.

Vic Viper
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:56 PM
woooowhoooooooo !!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Vic Viper
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:06 PM
For those that don't know, you could get Substance for only 30 bucks at CitcuitCity when it comes out this week, i found it on there flyers ..

OT: they also have a deal were you get a free copy Tenchu for the PS when you buy Wrath of Heaven..

Matrix
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:10 AM
I just played this and I got to tell u even though I am pleased with it, why would u pay an extra $30 just for this, why not just get the one for $20?!?!?!?!? is this extra stuff worth the extra money, to tell u the truth, NO it is not, I would pay at the very most $10 bucks.

there was one thing which they forgot to add again in substance, which made me real mad, the ability to unlock the blade as a weapon from the start and use it all the way through, if they had this in there I would be willing to pay up to $15 bucks more. besides if you have played and wrapped SOL u won't be as satisfied as someone who hasn't. To the ones who have wraped it, substance will be nothing new.(the skateboarding in this game isn't as good as it could be also!!!)

Hero
Mar 11th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Can you play as Snake the whole way through? Because I didn't see that as part of the features...

I guess it might not be worth it, but I'd rather buy this than the original Sons of Liberty.

dan da man
Mar 11th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Hero

Can you play as Snake the whole way through? Because I didn't see that as part of the features...

NOPE!:mad: you cant, you can only play him on snake tales through the plant chapter.

Trunks Brief
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Am getting the game this Saturday or Sunday I hope

Trunks Brief
Mar 20th, 2003, 02:16 PM
Hmm I didn't know they had all those features

Vic Viper
Mar 21st, 2003, 01:46 PM
i have it, already logged in bunch of play time in the game almost done with VR. but lately i keep getting Disc read error, all my other games work except for substance:mad:. my ps2 seem to have trouble reading dual layered disc,:weep: this sucks i still have to play those snake tales.:weep: :weep:

Vic Viper
Mar 21st, 2003, 01:49 PM

I dont know if that quote is true or fasle, Im not to bothered becuase Im getting the mgs2 doccument with the game, So il just be playing on sub.

yes, all those "facts" are TRUE. :)

Trunks Brief
Mar 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM
I just got the game today and testing it out

Dark Angel
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:12 AM
6 days and counting until I can get it in the UK

Trunks Brief
Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
Cool

Trunks Brief
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I beat the game like three times already and still can't figure out how to play the whole game as Solid Snake

dan da man
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Got it, played it, (xbox version) slow downs, sankes tales are rubics, the VR mission are not as goos as mgs1 vr missions, the FPS mode sucks, MGS2 SOB is better, I play metal gear for the story, not the crappy extras.

Vic Viper
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:33 PM

Got it, played it, (xbox version) slow downs, sankes tales are rubics, the VR mission are not as goos as mgs1 vr missions, the FPS mode sucks, MGS2 SOB is better, I play metal gear for the story, not the crappy extras.

wow, i thought the VR missions rock, man. the FPS mode add to another dimention to the game, imo. didnt have a chance to play snake tales though cause my ps2 always craps out on me when i put this game in..:frust: stupid Disc Read Error:weep:

Trunks Brief
Mar 26th, 2003, 12:47 PM
I got that error once u might want to clean your Playstation 2 CD reader

Vic Viper
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Trunks Brief

I got that error once u might want to clean your Playstation 2 CD reader

i have a dvd lens cleaner, doesnt work..:weep:

all my other games work except for this one.:frust: :mad:

Trunks Brief
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Did u trying exchanging the game for other

ssjtrunks13
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:03 PM
If the game doesn't work you might want to check the bottom of it for scratches, that might be what's wrong.

Vic Viper
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:35 PM
when i first got the game it work just fine on my ps2, but a week or 2 weeks after it started to crap out on me..:(

ssjtrunks13
Mar 26th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Weird, wish I could help you. All I know is I will eventually get the game.

Dark Angel
Mar 27th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Getting it tomorrow, cant wait :D

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Vic Viper

i have a dvd lens cleaner, doesnt work..:weep:

all my other games work except for this one.:frust: :mad:

Question...............Are most of your games DVD format or CD? Plus what format is the Substance Game.

Also heres (http://faqs.ign.com//articles/390/390535p1.html) a link to a trouble shooter to that common disc read problem.If it does not allow you through i'll paste the article.

Vic Viper
Mar 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake

Question...............Are most of your games DVD format or CD? Plus what format is the Substance Game.

Also heres (http://faqs.ign.com//articles/390/390535p1.html) a link to a trouble shooter to that common disc read problem.If it does not allow you through i'll paste the article.

i mostly own DVD games i think the only CD formated games i own is VF4 these one works too. and substance is on DVD format.

thanks for the article, i found out what the problem is, some Voltage Problem. :mad: but i not going to open up my ps2 just to fix one game.

i appreciate the help though.:)

dan da man
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Dark Angel

Getting it tomorrow, cant wait :D

You could be dissapointed, just my opinion though.

Dark Angel
Mar 28th, 2003, 07:26 PM
I could be, yes, and now I have it, I'm not really, Ok it's just like the VR missions add on for MGS, but I'm glad I have it

SplinterJD
Apr 5th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Does anyone know when MGS2: Substance is coming out in Australia?

Esjay
Apr 7th, 2003, 11:11 AM
When the PS2 version comes out, I'm probably going to get it. Not for the Snake tales or anything like that, but for all of those VR missions, those are going to be really fun to play through. I guess the extra costumes and things'll be nice too. I AM a bit excited, but I'll be getting Sonic Adventure DX, first. Is it me, or have there been a lot of "spiced up" re-releases lately? Come on...we need some NEW games. Not that there's anything wrong with re-releases, I just think it's about time for a new game. MGS3 is in its development though, or so it's been said.

SplinterJD
Apr 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM
I got it yesterday and I'm very impressed with it. It's very much like VR missions pack for MGS1 but much better with especially Snake Tales I think they are cool.;)

dan da man
Apr 18th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by SplinterJD

I got it yesterday and I'm very impressed with it. It's very much like VR missions pack for MGS1 but much better with especially Snake Tales I think they are cool.;)

I dont like snake tales, it not the gameplay, its the script you have to read, it does not suit metal gear.

SplinterJD
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:04 PM
I dont like snake tales, it not the gameplay, its the script you have to read, it does not suit metal gear.

I think thats why its not part of the actual Metal Gear story.;)

dan da man
Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by SplinterJD

I think thats why its not part of the actual Metal Gear story.;)

Yea, but I mean the game.

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 22nd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Just for the record substance does have a couple of added scenes in the story mode.There really hard to notice unless you played the game ALOT!

Dark Angel
Apr 22nd, 2003, 04:59 PM
Also the thermal goggles actually work like thermal goggles, with a variation of colours to shown different heat signatures, instead of just red and white like before.

ToxicUK
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
I thought that thing with the thermal goggles was better and i like skateboardin' - Yippeee!!!!

I agree with dandaman though - the snakes tales are a bit BOORING even though they are nothing to do with the main game and i LUV the VR missions.